The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron Gods (PF)

1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Iron Gods (PF)

How about Eldritch Claw? It makes my claws magical and overcome DR but it don't work against harness...

Isn't anything like pummeling style that works for natural attacks?

Can you make a house rule for this? Like eldritch claw bypassing x points of hardness or a custom feat that sum all the natural weapons damage before applying dr/hardness.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Will probably go Lizardfolk Medium, do you allow retraining rules? I was going to take Legendary Influence as my first level feat, but some of the sub-feats I would take vary on whether or not I can meet their prereqs at first level. I was wondering if I could start with sub-feats I could access early on and then retrain to get the ones I would prefer to apply. Either that or could I take the sub-feats I want and just not be able to use them until I meet their prereqs. I would mainly be using either Champion and/or Marshal, which I would use Spirit Focus for (which is accessible at first level, so it would not make much of a difference early on).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aleister VII View Post
    How about Eldritch Claw? It makes my claws magical and overcome DR but it don't work against harness...

Isn't anything like pummeling style that works for natural attacks?

Can you make a house rule for this? Like eldritch claw bypassing x points of hardness or a custom feat that sum all the natural weapons damage before applying dr/hardness.
    You can use the second one as a feat; it’s an ability that’s appeared other places in PF.
    Spoiler: Focused Blows
    Show
    Your natural attacks have the precision and power to punch through nearly anything.
    Prerequisites: Eldritch Claw, DEX 13

When making a multiple attacks with only natural weapons, total the damage from all hits before applying that opponent’s damage reduction or hardness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Will probably go Lizardfolk Medium, do you allow retraining rules? I was going to take Legendary Influence as my first level feat, but some of the sub-feats I would take vary on whether or not I can meet their prereqs at first level. I was wondering if I could start with sub-feats I could access early on and then retrain to get the ones I would prefer to apply. Either that or could I take the sub-feats I want and just not be able to use them until I meet their prereqs. I would mainly be using either Champion and/or Marshal, which I would use Spirit Focus for (which is accessible at first level, so it would not make much of a difference early on).
    Yes, you may use the retraining rules.
    Chaotic Good, probably

4. - Top - End - #34

Chimera

Aweasome, Thanks! I'll start to build my PC!

5. - Top - End - #35

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm pretty interested in submitting a druid with the swarm monger archetype to then go into the hive prestige class. Haven't figured out how to give him sphere casting yet because all of the sphere archetypes do not combine with swarm monger, but that's where I'm heading for my submission.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by In4Dimensions View Post
    I would prefer if you didn’t, simply because I am unfamiliar with Akashic content.
    Fair enough.

Veilweaving is pretty straightforward though. It's, functionally, "pick a new batch of magic items to wear each day. You have a limited number of points to shuffle around to make some of them more effective." It's a pretty elegant system and I've wanted to build a character using it since they called it "Incarnum" back in the hoary old days of 3.5.

Anyway, I'll consider my other options. I might go with a Tactician, possibly multiclassed into a Spheres class, and be a support caster.
    My DeviantArt page
    My Twitch channel! Watch me draw while I ramble about semi-related topics, every Saturday at 4:00 PM PST.
    Missed a stream? Watch it on my YouTube channel!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Changed directions completely. Here is Kana the Betrayer, a barbarian using the 3pp archetype Masquerade Reveler with permission from the GM. If anyone has questions about how it works, let me know. The gist is that instead of raging, she takes on masks that give eidolon evolutions. She does less damage than a normal barbarian because no strength bonus, but she's going to be flexible and very, very hard to get away from (she already has options for climb and swim speeds, and once we hit the level she'd be picking up flight as well).
    Please don't capitalize my name.

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #38

DruidGuy

Here's what I have so far: Tara Blackmane! Basic idea is a bloodrager that was a Technic League experiment meant to ensure a contingency in the something happened to the Black Sovereign. Subsequently, said creation was disposed of and for the last few months, has been exploring the world for some answers to her origins while also testing herself against the world in various ways.
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by n0ble View Post
    Here's what I have so far: Tara Blackmane! Basic idea is a bloodrager that was a Technic League experiment meant to ensure a contingency in the something happened to the Black Sovereign. Subsequently, said creation was disposed of and for the last few months, has been exploring the world for some answers to her origins while also testing herself against the world in various ways.
    Looks good. Fate’s Favored increases luck bonuses by 1, though, not 2.
    Chaotic Good, probably

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll pitch in interest. Looking at a Prodigy, either a crossbow Sniper/Tech build or maybe a Lancer of some description depending on what the party needs.

In that vein, I'd like to check on the following Casting and Martial Traditions:

Arcanotech Researcher
    Many technological relics are strewn across Numeria, the bulk of them broken beyond repair. In spite of this (though sometimes perhaps because of it), a few enterprising individuals have attempted to bypass this fault by funneling large quantities of magical energy into them. While this occasionally works, much more success has been found when the user is more intimately familiar with the devices in question and treats them with care and caution.

Drawbacks: Focus Casting (Focus), Mental Focus, Skilled Casting (Craft [Mechanical]), Somatic Casting, Wild Magic (Variant), Energy Focus (Destruction), Shape Focus (Destruction)

I'm still wondering what kind of focus would be appropriate. The artificer's foci from the artificer casting tradition is kind of what I'm going for, but I need to double check what's okay.

Experimental Marksman
    Equipment: Expert Reloading, Mechanical Training
    Tech Sphere (by gaining the Tech sphere, you also gain one Gadget talent of your choice)
    Variable: Experimental marksmen gain either the Barrage or Sniper spheres.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khosan View Post
    I'll pitch in interest. Looking at a Prodigy, either a crossbow Sniper/Tech build or maybe a Lancer of some description depending on what the party needs.

In that vein, I'd like to check on the following Casting and Martial Traditions:

Arcanotech Researcher
    Many technological relics are strewn across Numeria, the bulk of them broken beyond repair. In spite of this (though sometimes perhaps because of it), a few enterprising individuals have attempted to bypass this fault by funneling large quantities of magical energy into them. While this occasionally works, much more success has been found when the user is more intimately familiar with the devices in question and treats them with care and caution.

Drawbacks: Focus Casting (Focus), Mental Focus, Skilled Casting (Craft [Mechanical]), Somatic Casting, Wild Magic (Variant), Energy Focus (Destruction), Shape Focus (Destruction)

I'm still wondering what kind of focus would be appropriate. The artificer's foci from the artificer casting tradition is kind of what I'm going for, but I need to double check what's okay.

Experimental Marksman
    Equipment: Expert Reloading, Mechanical Training
    Tech Sphere (by gaining the Tech sphere, you also gain one Gadget talent of your choice)
    Variable: Experimental marksmen gain either the Barrage or Sniper spheres.
    The casting tradition is fine, as is the artificer’s focus. However, I’d prefer if you didn’t take the Tech yet; you’re first level adventurers and shouldn’t really be having drones and missile launchers from the get-go. Such options will definitely be available later down the line, though.

Also, for all players, you may trade a 1st-level class feature, a 1st level spell/power known, or a magic or martial talent for the Technologist feat, if you so choose.
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2019-09-30 at 09:18 PM.
    Chaotic Good, probably

12. - Top - End - #42

Devil

So, mostly finished Aruk of the Sands, I mainly need to work out equipment.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Aruk grew up in the desert with his tribe. At an early age, he showed a natural affinity for communicating with the spirit world. He was mentored by the tribal shaman to further refine this ability.

Unfortunately, this training was never fully completed. One day, when he was looking for food, strange metallic beings came and slew Aruk's tribe entirely. He was able to track down the metal things and in his fury, he was able to rip them apart with his bare hands. It seemed that Aruk was able to finally tap into some of his spiritual potential, having called upon the strength of one of his tribe's ancient warriors.

After destroying those strange things, he studied the remains and saw their innards were unlike anything he had ever seen. Without a tribe, he wandered throughout the desert blindly, but before he would have died from dehydration, he stumbled upon the town of Torch. Here he saw many things that resembled those strange metallic creatures that slew his tribe. He did not understand the strange language spoken by those who populated Torch, so he waited a long time until he was able to gain a basic understanding of their speech.

Now that he could speak with the townsfolk, he decided to learn more about the metal beings, trying to learn of their source. He wanted to find them and destroy them all, sohe source of these odd "robots" the townsfolk mentioned. Sadly, he has had little progress so far, but he continues diligently searching for them.

My background is somewhat of a WIP, but let me know if you need me to make it longer or if you want me to change some aspects of it.

Build-wise, Aruk currently focuses on the Champion Spirit, which makes his natural weapons do incredible damage (+2 to attack and +4 to damage for each attack, and that's three attacks per round before any extra attacks from the Champion spirit). Of course, he can channel other spirits to possibly fit the party's other needs as well, but not quite as well yet.

13. - Top - End - #43

Seeing that the Voyager is in, I was wondering if you'd allow another piece of exotic psionics in the form of the Empath. It is technically a Medium archetype, but it's really its own class as it changes so much.

In connection with this, I would also like to request the Amici racial variant for the Android, at the bottom of this page.

The basic idea is that she is a prototype of a new kind of android, designed by the Technic League to be a master spy and manipulator who can easily pass for human, but would be unquestionably loyal to the league, with empathy programming that let her gauge the thoughts and emotions of others much more easily than a regular android. However, there was a major glitch in this empathy programming, as it got stuck in a loop and kept expanding its scope further and further, until the connections spread far and wide. And in this grand picture, she immediately realized how much suffering the league caused in the world, and realized her true loyalties lay elsewhere.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

So I've finally worked out my future Tech Crafter. Aven is a Samsaran Cleric of Brigh. Using the Iron Priest archetype he can not only heal the living, but also heal constructs. His channeling however can do nothing against Undead.

I really like his photo but am terrible at Photoshop and stuff so I couldn't change his skin color to match the actual race I also ended up listing when he'll most likely take each crafting feat so I could sort it out in my head lol Check him out at your leisure.

Aven Griffin-Egan, Iron Priest of Brigh
    Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Aven is a Samsaran; A race of people who reincarnate into a youth to start life anew so they see Life & Death not as two separate entities, but numerous pieces of a whole existence. Aven was reincarnated from his past self, Egan, who in turn was reincarnated from a young Human boy named Griffin. Griffin's adopted parents were clocksmiths from Ustalav and learned early on of his aptitude for mechanical objects. Unfortunately Griffin died early in life due to respiratory problems. His soul found a new opportunity to continue young Griffin's dreams and was reincarnated as a Samsaran. Griffin's parents couldn't hide the truth and told Egan that he was given to them by a Samsaran woman from Numeria. So, Egan set forth toward Numeria in search of his birth mother and to continue on Griffin's legacy as an engineer.

The first year in Numeria was brutal. Barbarians & robots aplenty. His only preparation was his newfound faith in the Bronze Lady. However faith alone would not stop eating barbarians from ambushing you while traveling...thus came Life #3, Aven. A young teenager who found safe haven in the city of Torch. Mechanics all around and so much to fix! He quickly got a job as an engineer's apprentice. His boss caught on quickly that Aven knew a lot more about mechanics than he had first let on. There was a long talk between the two about how the stars when they move at night, was like clockwork. So many things turning like thousands of gears all at once. They became very close friends and Aven was never an apprentice again. 70 years later, his boss passed away and left the shop to his son, Sigfried. Sigfried has watched over the shop the last 20+ years and handled the business end of things quite well whilst Aven has been putting out merchandise for customers.

Sigfried was very unlike his father and didn't care much for religious and mechanical debates. So Aven has been on the lookout for opportunities to get out of the shop more often and to share his inventions and knowledge. However he quickly found out that not many of the gearheads shared his ideals of sharing technology with all that we can. Spreading knowledge and creations with the masses was the heart to his faith, hearing that some would rather hoard technological advances was straight blasphemy. These people of the 'Technic League' needed to be taught a lessen. It just so happens that some others had shared this sentiment at a local pub (they do say it is THE place to find out anything lol)
    Last edited by Mizu_Makura; 2019-09-30 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Darn typos...they bug me

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corlindale View Post
    Seeing that the Voyager is in, I was wondering if you'd allow another piece of exotic psionics in the form of the Empath. It is technically a Medium archetype, but it's really its own class as it changes so much.

In connection with this, I would also like to request the Amici racial variant for the Android, at the bottom of this page.

The basic idea is that she is a prototype of a new kind of android, designed by the Technic League to be a master spy and manipulator who can easily pass for human, but would be unquestionably loyal to the league, with empathy programming that let her gauge the thoughts and emotions of others much more easily than a regular android. However, there was a major glitch in this empathy programming, as it got stuck in a loop and kept expanding its scope further and further, until the connections spread far and wide. And in this grand picture, she immediately realized how much suffering the league caused in the world, and realized her true loyalties lay elsewhere.
    I’ll allow both, but I spent 10 minutes reading about the Empath and I’m still not sure if I understand all of it, so please don’t do anything too stupid with it.
    Chaotic Good, probably

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

That's fine. I'll take the Mechanic Martial Tradition instead. I'm not sure I'll be able to get much out of the Trap sphere, but I can try.

17. - Top - End - #47

Devil

As you mentioned earlier that you have not seen Corruption, it is first party Paizo official, part of Horror Adventures. The specific variant I was referring to was Promethean corruption, which felt fitting to the campaign.

While my character does not have it, it may be thematic to introduce at some point given the tech-heavy nature of the setting. Were it allowed, I'd have rolled up either a golem fist Magus or Winding Path Renegade with the crafting path.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

There was once a scavenger named Petr. He was strong and cunning, and would dive into the ruins that dot Numeria to retrieve treasures that kept him in wine and women. He made friends who would join him on his adventures, and share in the spoils if they pulled their weight. Things were good for Petr. Then on one adventure, he opened the wrong door. A million beams of light washed over him and something pulled him through.

When he came to, he managed to stagger out of the ruin and find his friends divvying up the spoils. He called out to them, but his voice was wrong. The immediately drew weapons.

"What are you doing? It's me, Petr," he pleaded in his too-high wrong voice.

"Peeta," said one of them chuckling, "we saw that cocky bastard get blown to bits."

"Whoever you are," said another, "if you came out of that ruin, I bet the Technic League will cough up some coin for you."

Peeta scowled and reached for the sword that used to be on his hip but was now dragging in the dirt. He struggled to lift it, and held it out unsteadily. One of his "friends" laughed, and slapped Peeta so hard he spiralled into the dirt, his sword going flying. As he struggled to get to his feet, he saw his hands: pale, and too small by half. What had happened to him?

Things would have gotten very bad if Khonnir Bane hadn't arrived. Explosives and magic drove Petr's former friends off, and Baine helped Peeta up.

"Are you alright, miss?"

Peeta went slackjawed at the wizard's question. Miss? Wait, it couldn't be...

"Do you have a mirror," she asked, in a voice that she suspected she'd be stuck with for a long time. A quick examination confirmed it. Petr was gone. Peeta was a young woman with extremely fair skin, fiery red hair, and grey eyes that shimmered slightly. And about half the size that Petr had been. Peeta felt the life drain out of her and the mirror slipped from her fingers -- only to be caught by an apparition that looked very much like her, and handed back to Baine.

"I suspect something very strange has happened to you miss," said the wizard, "would you allow me to escort you back to Torch? I know about about the strangeness of these ruins, perhaps I can help you figure out what happened."

With no other options, Peeta returned to Torch with Baine and has remained a resident of the town ever since. Baine has yet to crack whatever made her, but he's n ever stopped trying. Peeta's learned to control her strange new powers and practiced extensively with a battered old musket left with Baine by an old friend. Petr had always understood technology better than most people he knew, but since her rebirth working with machines comes almost second-nature to Peeta. She hopes that maybe one day she can find Petr again, but she's also slowly growing comfortable being who she is.

19. - Top - End - #49

My character idea is tied to @3SecondCultist's submission as her newly awakened android gunslinger companion. I had intended on taking the Gunfighter and Space Marine sphere archetypes. Space Marine does give the Tech sphere, which is why I ask if it's ok, seeing as it just gives me the specific Mechanical Ranged Weaponry.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    My character idea is tied to @3SecondCultist's submission as her newly awakened android gunslinger companion. I had intended on taking the Gunfighter and Space Marine sphere archetypes. Space Marine does give the Tech sphere, which is why I ask if it's ok, seeing as it just gives me the specific Mechanical Ranged Weaponry.
    Hmm. What do you need the Mechanical Ranged Weaponry for? When you take it first, you only get access to exotic crossbows, not firearms.
    Chaotic Good, probably

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by In4Dimensions View Post
    Hmm. What do you need the Mechanical Ranged Weaponry for? When you take it first, you only get access to exotic crossbows, not firearms.
    That's a good point to start, but it's probably the only way to secure efficient firearms within a few levels. I intend on spending the level 1 feat for Extra Combat Talent. Gunslinger is only an adept sphere user, so she'll be level 3-4 before getting revolvers.

22. - Top - End - #52

Chimera

Here's my pc, or her stats at least her backstory is still pending, I'd like to have a rivalry with the daughter of the missing wizard (whose name I keep forgeting) and who know maybe they can become friends latet on, the guide said that I should ask the DM and that's what I'm doing xD

Spoiler: Wingate Allastor
    Show

Neutral Medium Tiefling Alchemist 1 (Beastmorph/Vivisectionist)

Init: 8 Senses:*Darkvision. Perception: +4

DEFENSE

AC:*16 touch: 12 Flat-footed: 14

HP:11/11

Fort*4,*Ref*4,*Will*0

OFFENSE

Speed: 30 ft.

Attacks: Claw x2: +4 1d4+4 Slashing.

Alchemist spells prepared: (CL: 1, concentration +3)

1st (2/day)*Enlarge Person (DC13) Heightened Awareness (DC 13).

Alchemist Formula known: Enlarge Person, Heightened Awareness, shield, Cure light wounds.

STATISTICS

Str*18,*Dex*14,*Con*14,*Int*14,*Wis*11,*Cha 5.
    BAB: +0 CMB:*+4 CMD: 16.

Feats: Brew Potion, Improved Initiative, Throw Anything.

Racial: Claws, Prehensile tail, darkvision, skilled, fiendish resistances, heritage: Oni Spawn.
    Class Abylities: Alchemy, Mutagen, Sneak Attack +1d6.

Skills: Craft (Alchemy) +7, Disable Device +7, Knowledge (arcana) +6, Perception +4, Spellcraft +6, Use Magic Device +1.
    Traits: Reactionary (Combat), Power-hungry (Drawback), Local Ties (Campaing).
    Languages: Common, Abyssal, Elven, dwarven.
    Equipment: Lameller (leather)
    Wealth:10gp.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Update regarding the Tech sphere: You may take talents from the Tech sphere (and use archetypes that utilize the Tech sphere) on a case-by-case basis, with more options becoming available at higher levels. For example, Ranged Mechanical Weaponry 1 and 2 can be taken at any level, but RMW 3 can only be taken starting at level 5. Generally speaking, the simpler the tech in the talent is, the earlier you can take it.
    (@Deadguy, you can take the space marine archetype.)
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2019-10-01 at 03:39 PM.
    Chaotic Good, probably

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh hey just FYI if the concept for Peeta offends anybody please let me know and I can change it.

25. - Top - End - #55

I’ll allow both, but I spent 10 minutes reading about the Empath and I’m still not sure if I understand all of it, so please don’t do anything too stupid with it.
    Thanks! I really like how those two go together. The Empath is a bit complicated, but more interesting than strong - and I definitely won't try to do anything crazy with it. It's sort of like a psionic version of the Binder from 3.5, except you are binding with ideas and concepts instead of specific spirits.

26. - Top - End - #56

Thanks for the allowances! Regarding applications, how long will they be open? I've got a rough sheet done, but I still have a good amount background to cover.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the allowances! Regarding applications, how long will they be open? I've got a rough sheet done, but I still have a good amount background to cover.
    Eh, I haven’t really considered a closing date yet. It would be cool if everyone could get their character in within a week from now, but if you need more time, just let me know.
    Chaotic Good, probably

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ooh, like 3SC said, I’ve got a character just raring to get past the recruitment of IG! I see a lot of barb-types, so hopefully this one brings a different flavor.

Spoiler: Picture!
    Show

Maatook, Blade of the North
    NG male tinker gnome
    Barbarian - Savage Technologist
    Adopted son to Khonnir Baine
    Spoiler: Description
    Show

Tall and well built, Maatook looks like a typical Kellid barbarian - physically imposing and intimidating. He normally favors loose clothes; simple homespun tunics and pants, vice the fancy wear of merchants and rich people (even if he's often counted as one of them). His dark hair constantly looks to need a comb, and his brown eyes often appear black at first glance. He is a handsome specimen, if not particularly glib or outspoken with strangers.

When geared for war, he carries a well-made blade, engraved with 'Baine' on the hilt; a black iron warhammer at his hip, a fitted chain shirt, and a long bow. He favors the blade, but can fight with almost any weapon handy.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show

While he looks intimidating, Maatook is actually soft spoken and kind-hearted. He wants the best for his family and the town of Torch, and is ready to do whatever is necessary to help. He leans toward action vice methodical planning, but that doesn't mean he's hasty or stupid - he simply understands where his talents lie. Once a battle has been joined, however, he is fierce and severe, a whirling dervish of blade and fury.

Spoiler: Background
    Show

The leader of the patrol panted in relief, his left hand pressed to his side where a blast had scorched his flesh. "Captain, are you okay?" He nodded, leaning back against the wall as he waved away the soldier. "See to the others first; I'll be fine. Get anyone who's not hurt and search the area, collect any remains - I want that damnable 'bot into the wagon ... along with the bodies of those we lost."

He closed his eyes, thinking how close the fight had been. The 'creature' had been much more powerful than when it first awoke, and the swathe of destruction it had left behind was clear evidence to that fact. They had finally tracked it to this small home out in the wilderness, destroying it with the weapons the wizard had given them. It hadn't been without a price - three of his ten men dead, two more who might not walk again if they couldn't get back to the healer's in time, and he himself had almost not survived. Now they just needed to get back quickly, before this thing woke up again.

"Sir, we, uh ... we found something. Rather, someone."

The captain opened his eyes and pushed away from the wall. "What? Who is it?" The soldier pointed to a young boy, frightened and wild, struggling in the grip of another member of the patrol. Before the captain could say anything, the boy burst free and launched himself at his captor, a long bone club drawn from somewhere. The first soldier rushed over and hit the boy in the back of the head, knocking him unconcious, looking back guiltily to his captain. Shaking his head, he pointed. "Damn. Well, tie him up and put him in the wagon. We'll take him back to Baine."

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Khonnir Baine took pity on the young boy, Maatook, and took him into his home. Over time, he earned Maatook's trust and raised him with his adopted daughter, Val. He taught him many things - letters, words, even a bit of techno-magik, as Maatook would call it. Baine made sure his son had everything he would need, regardless if the young man asked for or even wanted them. When Maatook wanted to learn how to fight, Baine arranged for the Captain of the Guard to train him. When he wanted to join the militia, Baine gifted him with a fine blade and armor. When Maatook became interested in techno-magik and the new metal slings, Baine comissioned a firearm be made for his son.

To Val, it was obvious Baine spoiled Maatook, and she learned to resent the barbarian for it. She knew that the boy had lost his family, but bad luck didn't mean Baine had to give her 'brother' EVERYTHING! Most of the town were well aware of Val's feelings for the hulking lad, and when the two of them were together in public, they waited for the snide comments that would lead to an inevitable bout of bickering.

However, in private, she learned Maatook was anything but spoiled. The gifts Baine lavished on him were as uncomfortable for Maatook to receive as they were for Val to watch being given. He seemed to yearn for the day he could step out on his own and earn his way without Khonnir's support - if for no other reason than to prove himself. Overtime she learned not only to respect Maatook, but care for him deeply ... perhaps a bit differently than a sister cared for her brother.

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

When the Flame died, the whole town took it as an omen. One of the first to respone was Khonnir, who discovered a number of caves under Black Hill and found a strange metal golem beneath. However, when he returned to investigate some more, he never returned. Maatook, who had been with patrols searching for the thieves, returned to find out from Val that their father was missing.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

29. - Top - End - #59

Here is the android gunslinger, Caliber.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

First of all, wow. I was not expecting someone to actually follow through and make literally the character from my backstory! You even read the little details, that's super impressive. I am absolutely in to combine backstories in full - I hope we both get selected together. The Psychic and the Gunslinger will definitely make an effective pair on the battlefield as well.

Also, Jaclyn is just about finished. I have fixed her photo so that it works, and her backstory works just fine now that there's a Caliber in the picture. I'll repost her full sheet here. I also realize that the competition for 'full utility / technology caster' is pretty tight, but I'm hoping that as a specialist in the making, Jaclyn will make the cut. The Mindtech discipline is uniquely fun for this AP, and so are the psi-tech amplifications.

Spoiler: Jaclyn Agler
    Show

Female Neutral Human Psychic, Level 1, Init 6, HP 10/10, Speed 30
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 16, Fort 2, Ref 2, Will 4, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Light Crossbow +2 (1d8, 19-20x2)
    Dagger +0 (1d4, 19-20x2)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 19, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition None
    Psychic Spells Known 0th level (∞) -- detect magic, ghost sound, message, read magic
    1st level (4/4) -- enlarge person, heightened awareness, technomancy

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Jaclyn is not exactly a beauty. Her skin is too pale and callow, the line of her mouth too thin, and her nose too long. Her dark brown hair is unwashed from days spent on the road, and her leather armor has the distinct air of disarray that only comes from somebody not knowing how to clean it properly. The crossbow over her shoulder and dagger at her belt point to her being a typical Avistani adventurer, but the strange black gloves on her hands, the streak of white hair at her brow, and her brilliant green eyes mark her out as something just a little bit more exceptional than that.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    A true genius, Jaclyn complements her book smarts with a heavy dose of experience and pragmatism. She isn't the type to go running off into danger, but neither is she afraid of the risks to get what she wants. The technologist has learned to balance her natural curiosity with a healthy dose of caution, and she knows better than to exceed the grasp of her own abilities. To Jaclyn, power is not just discovery, but mastery. Until she can control her growing connection to the technological wrecks of Numeria, her powers are a double-edged sword at best.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    The girl was a problem.

The quiet town of Iadenveigh in southern Numeria was not known for much, despite the country it ostensibly belonged to. A pious community dedicated to Erastil and nature’s bounty, the townsfolk often described their home as an ‘oasis of nature in a wasteland of steel’. Led by the senior members of the Deadeye Council and a priest of Erastil, Iadenveigh's people and culture were devoted to the destruction and degradation of the various technological marvels that covered the lands of Numeria. Theirs was a simple lot, to live off of the land and protect one another from the strange metal horrors that lurked beyond their Elkhorn Wall.

So when a young girl named Jaclyn – dropped off in the town by travelers passing through years ago and taken in as a ward of the community – began to display disturbing signs of scientific talent at a very young age, a few members of the Council grew very concerned. At the age of six, she had unearthed odd fragments of metal from near Longbitter Lake. By the time she was nine, Jaclyn had put together a decent approximation of a battery. There were a few that argued for shunning the girl – a faction headed up by Brother Derviec, the priest of Erastil – but most of her peers weren’t comfortable with harming a child or exiling one alone into the Numerian wilds. So the Council made a decision: they would try to rehabilitate the girl, to redirect her energy elsewhere so that she might one day put her mind to use for the betterment of the community.

Eventually, it was decided that Jaclyn would be raised by the town astronomer, Gervic Agler. A curious fellow, Agler had studied the ancient Kellid monuments built by Iadenveigh’s inhabitants before any of the town's current residents came to live there. Uncovering an inscription that read "Watch Ye Warily the Skies", he grew fascinated by the implications of these engravings. The older man eventually built an observatory along with her house to watch the stars. Jaclyn was to live with Agler and learn the man’s trade, picking up the science of astronomy instead of meddling with forces she could not understand.

Agler, for her part, tried to give Jaclyn a normal life. He raised the girl well, teaching her how to dress and act as a member of the community. She received a fairly comprehensive education, memorizing the constellations in the sky even while Agler edified her on the more blunt points of manners and etiquette. The young prodigy was driven, but she was also an outcast. None of the other children her age cared much to socialize with her: their paths were those of farmers and foresters, of masons and priests, while Jaclyn's mind was always busy doing scientific equations. Besides, the Council had been keeping an eye on her for some time, and although it was never outright stated, her presence made the common folk of Iadenveigh uncomfortable. That was quite alright to Jaclyn, though, as she preferred her own company to anyone else's.

But things radically took a turn for the worse, when one day Jaclyn stumbled on something forbidden: a strange slab of stone on a ruined farm near the Badwater. Carved into it was the symbol of Erastil, and underneath it the girl could somehow feel the strange humming of metal and gears. Her curiosity towards the technological reawakened, Jaclyn tried to lift the stone to no avail. Returning home, she wracked her brain thinking of ways to get past the barrier. After several weeks of fruitless effort, the girl suddenly had a breakthrough. Gathering up raw materials in secret, Jaclyn began to work on a device of sorts, a set of telekinetic gloves that would allow her to augment her carrying strength beyond her body’s limits. Her labor would eventually get her caught, however, as the Deadeye Council had set watchmen at the old farm for reasons unknown and found the mage nearby.

Jaclyn knew the penalties for using this technology; Gervic had warned her time and again not to go getting involved with it. However, she'd been too curious to turn away. So when the Council convened an emergency session to deal with the problem that Jaclyn posed – as a local whose predilection for the scientific threatened their very way of life – it was no surprise that Brother Derviec wanted to push for immediate trial and execution. The girl was simply too dangerous to be left alive. This time, there was more support for the idea, and the Deadeye Council soon made the announcement: Jaclyn Agler was to be tried as an adult for 'agency technologic'. The sentence was death. The only thing that saved young Jaclyn was compassion from her adopted father. After an impassioned plea, Iadenveigh’s elders decided to exile Jaclyn instead.

Gathering what scant belongings she could, Jaclyn left the only home she had known for the greater wilds of Numeria. While she was definitely glad to be alive, she was even happier to have been banished. In truth, the fearful stories of gadgets and devices from the rest of the country had intrigued her since she'd heard them. To be able to explore such wonders herself was all she'd ever wanted, and now she finally had her chance. Setting out on a northward course along the Dagger River, the young technologist began to look in earnest for more sites like the one she suspected existed under Iadenveigh. But in the months that followed, Jaclyn didn't come across anything of note in her travels. Instead, she learned the lessons taught by long nights and empty stomachs, the ones only a poor adventurer's life knew how to teach you.

In the end, she came across the ruin by pure chance. In the Numerian Plains near the deadly Gorum Pots, Jaclyn came across a hollow metal chamber wedged between two hills. There, she came face to face with the source of her obsessions. The skymetal ruin was host to unfamiliar writings that it took him several weeks to properly translate. With the help of her psychokinetic gloves, she wandered deeper within and came across something even stranger: a female figure with long hair encased in a glass tube. Fiddling with the nearby wires and levers eventually secured this figure’s release, who woke up very confused and disoriented. She spoke in the same language as the symbols written on the walls, so at first she struggled to get through to her. Eventually, she settled on a name: Caliber, taken from the 1C – 32578 – 098234 number designation on her pod.

After excavating what little else remained of that complex, Jaclyn left with even more questions than he had answers. She also took Caliber with her, as the android was a significant find. Her lack of emotions oddly made her easy to interact with, and before long the two of them had settled into a comfortable professional relationship. Caliber apparently didn’t remember anything of her time before coming to arrive in that ruin, but she had undeniable skills and talents. For one, she spoke fluently in that otherworldly language. The two of them took the time to teach other, and Caliber proved to be as adept a student as she was a teacher. But Jaclyn was just as fascinated with the constructed woman's unbelievable skill with firearms. She came to respect and even admire Caliber for her resilience and talents, relying on her a great deal on the road. After a few months, she regarded the android as a friend - perhaps the only friend Jaclyn had ever known.

A few days after what she was pretty sure was her twenty-second birthday – six years since her exile from Iadenveigh – Jaclyn and Caliber arrived in a new town, one that had been rumored to play host to a forge that could melt and mould skymetal ores. A haven of smiths and inventors, it could very well hold answers to the mysteries of the strange ruins throughout the landscape and the origin of the android creatures. The town's name was Torch.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-10-03 at 04:26 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Ironfang Invasion (DM)
    - Darkest Dusk (Whisper)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."