The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Gestalt 3.P Monster Game

I have been applying to various threads in the past few months in an attempt to play a nice Monster PC game. Recently apping on a Isekai recruitment but failed to get in. What this did was get me to realize I really like the idea of some of these monsters acting as PCs. Things like my Leonal that I apped there, or other races like the Petals or what not.

Is anyone interested in GMing a moderate level game? (6-10) for a bunch of monsters and misfits? I would like a mix of social-and dungeon crawling having to deal with the fact their crew can't just go to the tavern for a beer after a job because the townsfolk might freak out if they saw some of the party. But using that to give the face some room to breath, as well as kicking ass of overly prejudice townsfolk and groups that would want to fight the party for being composed of monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahigu View Post
    System: 3.5 D&D with Pathfinder material
    Player Count: HereBeMonsters plus 3-5 players
    Style of Play: Roleplay, HnS and exploration
    Allowed Content:
    • WotC official books for 3.5
    • Pathfinder material available in the srd (I don't own any Pf books but I'm ok with reading a bit) Spheres of P/M is NOT something I'm familiar with
    • Unofficial class fixes by content creators (such as hexblade and shadowcaster) are allowed upon request

Character Creation: Multistalt-esque XP spending (below)
    • Race: ECL 10 or lower creature, templates/bloodlines may be used (bloodline levels effectively become LA) greater ECL creatures may be used as race if a Savage progression exists (or is proposed, subject to approval/adjustment)
    • Backstory: briefly describe who your character was and what he/she/it used to do before being shackled and added to the menagerie. Mention at least one thing you lost/yearn for since your capture. Other than that everyone can extend their backstory as much as they wish.
    • Experience: 50,000 starting XP
    • Wealth: 28,000 Gp
    • Ability Scores: 30 point-buy for monsters with LA +0 to +2; 28 points for LA 3 to 5; 24 points for +6 and greater.
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max hp for all RHD (and 1st lvl from a class, if greater) average+1 for class levels above RHD.
    • Alignment: no restrictions beyond being willing to work as part of a group, paladins of a single alignment component are fine

Other Notes:
    Spoiler: Multistalt-esque XP spending
    Show
    In this system, all characters start with three (or more) empty "gestalt tracks" and spend XP separately on them, with the following considerations:
    • One track is considered the primary track, no other track may include higher ECL than the primary one (in this case, the primary track would include all RHD+LA). The third track may not have more levels than the secondary track.
    • The first level on the primary track has no XP cost (as usual), starting a secondary track at 1st level costs 1k XP, after which it may increase levels with XP normally; starting a third track at 1st level costs 2k XP, et al.
    • The secondary track can use features and abilities from the primary track for the purpose of PrC entry requirements, but the primary track may not borrow requirements from the second. A third track may borrow requirements from both the primary and secondary tracks (but not the other way around).
    • Caster level and similar mechanics are limited to max HD, which can't exceed the ECL of the primary track (but are not limited to RHD).

Spoiler: Things worth mentioning
    Show
    Following gestalt rules, the end result of this building method are characters that take the best HD/BaB/saves offered by all of their classes of a particular level, plus all special abilities they have access to at that level. In a monster game, 1 LA from the primary track may share a level with a class level.

Since class dips and/or multiclassing can be started at a theoretical ECL zero in an empty track, they can be advanced fairly quickly, this includes new PrCs to which a character fulfills requirements via previously existing tracks, HOWEVER, following the first consideration above, the newest track can't progress higher than the lowest of the previously existing tracks.

Mathweaving: Under this system, 45k XP that would be spent to build a non-gestalt ECL 10 Minotaur Barb 2 (8 total HD), could instead yield:
    • a gestalt-esque ECL 8 Minotaur (28k XP) with 6 levels (15k XP +1k for gestalt) of Barb with an extra 1k XP to spare. (6 total HD)
    • a quadstalt-esque ECL 6 (Savage Species) Minotaur (15k XP) with 6 levels (15k XP +1k for gestalt) of Barb, 4 levels (6k XP +2k for tristalt) of Warblade and 3 levels (3k XP +3x for quadstalt) of Monk. (6 total HD)

Fractional BaB/saves.
    Having a +5 base to one of your saves counts as having Iron Will/Great Fortitude/Lightning Reflexes for the purposes of feat requirements.
    Feat per HD, capped at ECL. Traits/flaws are optional, and they don't net you extra feats.
    More notes to be added as necessary.
    Last edited by HereBeMonsters; 2019-10-20 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Found GM, adding their 16

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Looking For: Gestalt 3.P Monster Game

Interested as a player.
    I'd suggest something nearer the upper end of the range, as most interesting monsters have RHD and/or LA.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Posting interest but not as DM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I agree a 15 lvl range is honestly really nice for monsters unless we play by some weird rules like the Isekei campaign. I know I saw Yas and HBM there.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I've run two monster campaigns at the table, and the itch just came back... If you'll have me, I'd be willing to give it a go.

Like Kue said, monster PCs can feel a little impaired without a little love, so here's a pitch:
    Show
    I haven't had any oportunity to playtest this idea, it's only been theorycrafted to allow a cheaper multiclass option. In this system, all characters start with three (or more) empty "gestalt tracks" and spend XP separately on them, with the following considerations:
    • One track is considered the primary track, no other track may include higher ECL than the primary one (in this case, the primary track would include all RHD+LA). The third track may not have more levels than the secondary track.
    • The first level on the primary track has no XP cost (as usual), starting a secondary track at 1st level costs 1k XP, after which it may increase levels with XP normally; startind a third track at 1st level costs 2k XP, et al.
    • The secondary track can use features and abilities from the primary track for the purpose of PrC entry requirements, but the primary track may not borrow requirements from the second. A third track may borrow requirements from both the primary and secondary tracks (but not the other way around).
    • Caster level and similar mechanics are limited to max HD, which can't exceed the ECL of the primary track (but are not limited to RHD).

Show
    Following gestalt rules, the end result of this building method are characters that take the best HD/BaB/saves offered by all of their classes of a particular level, plus all special abilities they have access to at that level. In a monster game, 1 LA from the primary track may share a level with a class level.

Since class dips and/or multiclassing can be started at a theoretical ECL zero in an empty track, they can be advanced fairly quickly, this includes new PrCs to which a character fulfills requirements via previously existing tracks, HOWEVER, following the first consideration above, the newest track can't progress higher than the lowest of the previously existing tracks.

Mathweaving: HBM's original post mentions a comfort zone of 6-10 ECL. Under this system, 45k XP that would be spent to build a non-gestalt ECL 10 Minotaur Barb 2 (8 total HD), could instead yield:
    • a gestalt-esque ECL 8 Minotaur (28k XP) with 6 levels (15k XP +1k for gestalt) of Barb with an extra 1k XP to spare. (6 total HD)
    • a quadstalt-esque ECL 6 (Savage Species) Minotaur (15k XP) with 6 levels (15k XP +1k for gestalt) of Barb, 4 levels (6k XP +2k for tristalt) of Warblade and 3 levels (3k XP +3x for quadstalt) of Monk. (6 total HD)
    Y´know, just an example, not even looking at PrCs yet...

Beyond that, for the campaign itself and introductions, I was thinking you could be formerly part of the late Baron McGoldbags' menagerie, used for exhibition gladiatorial matches and other occasional performances at your deceased master's whim; Young McGoldbags, however, didn't share his father's enjoyment of your exploitation and sold the lot of you to an unknown destiny...

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

That is an interesting concept for a system.
    I could probably figure that out quickly enough.
    I am ok with a higher end game I just know a lot of GMs do not feel comfortable with high level games.

7. - Top - End - #7

I've a couple ideas for this (Succubus? Vampire? Construct of some sort?), depending on details and allowed sources...

8. - Top - End - #8

Chimera

Posting interest!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Neat idea for a system, will throw my hat in for something niche like a ravid or one of the weird Tome of Magic monsters. Or failing that, my old staple to pseudodragon.
    Zenithbold-Bard by Lord Raziere | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That reminds me a little bit of the classless system from another forum.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

11. - Top - End - #11

HalflingPirate

Posting Interest as a player!!
    3.99 Project, Trying to Improve the 3.5 version, current fixes:

- Soulknife Fix
    - Samurai Rework
    - Paladin Fix

12. - Top - End - #12

BlackDragon

Posting interest depending on the other details

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Posting interest as a player. I'd love to play some kind of Frankensteinian awakened construct

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm ready to roll up a myconid king ... !
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

So where do we sit on pathfinder material? I am interested.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

I've run two monster campaigns at the table, and the itch just came back... If you'll have me, I'd be willing to give it a go.

Like Kue said, monster PCs can feel a little impaired without a little love, so here's a pitch:
    Show
    I haven't had any oportunity to playtest this idea, it's only been theorycrafted to allow a cheaper multiclass option. In this system, all characters start with three (or more) empty "gestalt tracks" and spend XP separately on them, with the following considerations:
    • The first level on the primary track has no XP cost (as usual), starting a secondary track at 1st level costs 1k XP, after which it may increase levels with XP normally; startind a third track at 1st level costs 2k XP, et al.

Show

Mathweaving: HBM's original post mentions a comfort zone of 6-10 ECL. Under this system, 45k XP that would be spent to build a non-gestalt ECL 10 Minotaur Barb 2 (8 total HD), could instead yield:
    Y´know, just an example, not even looking at PrCs yet...

Beyond that, for the campaign itself and introductions, I was thinking you could be formerly part of the late Baron McGoldbags' menagerie, used for exhibition gladiatorial matches and other occasional performances at your deceased master's whim; Young McGoldbags, however, didn't share his father's enjoyment of your exploitation and sold the lot of you to an unknown destiny...
    this sounds interesting I would like to see a big 16 attached to this-
    Possible interest pending big 16

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm interested. Based on the XP and gestalting system, I'd be interested in playing:

A Yak Folk (from MM II - 5 HD +2 LA) 7 // Factotum 5 // Warblade 5 - a skilled warrior and spy of the Yak Folk who can use his skills (and his neat racial possession ability) for infiltration and information gathering, and the fighting skills to survive getting caught. I'd have 1,000 XP left over and maybe start with a (free-ish) random magic staff (could be fun) because of the Yak Folk racial ability.

Spoiler: XP Calculation
    Show
    45k to start
    spend 21k on ECL 7 race
    24k remain
    spend 1k on gestalt
    23k remain
    spend 10k on level 5 factotum
    13k remain
    spend 2k on tristalt
    11k remain
    spend 10k on level 5 warblade

I thought about using the ability to PrC without regular class levels for a neat combo, but I couldn't find a way to make it work.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-10-06 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

18. - Top - End - #18

Chimera

I wanna play a Ghaele Eladrin (Good and Sun domains) named Quellon.

19. - Top - End - #19

I will potentially be interested in playing the most evil creature of all time.
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    I thought about using the ability to PrC without regular class levels for a neat combo, but I couldn't find a way to make it work.
    "Neat Combos" would be things like a Savage Bard-8/Ur-Priest-6. 6th level Divine spells at 45k xp.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    "Neat Combos" would be things like a Savage Bard-8/Ur-Priest-6. 6th level Divine spells at 45k xp.
    I was looking at figuring out a way to use Elemental Scion of Zilargo's Elemental Merge ability, specifically. There's a lot of things needed to really make it work and I couldn't find a reasonable way to pack them all in.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

System: 3.5 D&D with Pathfinder material
    Player Count: HereBeMonsters plus 3-5 players
    Style of Play: Roleplay, HnS and exploration
    Allowed Content:
    • WotC official books for 3.5
    • Pathfinder material available in the srd (I don't own any Pf books but I'm ok with reading a bit) Spheres of P/M is NOT something I'm familiar with
    • Unofficial class fixes by content creators (such as hexblade and shadowcaster) are allowed upon request

Character Creation: Multistalt-esque XP spending (below)
    • Race: ECL 10 or lower creature, templates/bloodlines may be used (bloodline levels effectively become LA) greater ECL creatures may be used as race if a Savage progression exists (or is proposed, subject to approval/adjustment)
    • Backstory: briefly describe who your character was and what he/she/it used to do before being shackled and added to the menagerie. Mention at least one thing you lost/yearn for since your capture. Other than that everyone can extend their backstory as much as they wish.
    • Experience: 50,000 starting XP
    • Wealth: 28,000 Gp
    • Ability Scores: 30 point-buy for monsters with LA +0 to +2; 28 points for LA 3 to 5; 24 points for +6 and greater.
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max hp for all RHD (and 1st lvl from a class, if greater) average+1 for class levels above RHD.
    • Alignment: no restrictions beyond being willing to work as part of a group, paladins of a single alignment component are fine

Other Notes:
    Show
    In this system, all characters start with three (or more) empty "gestalt tracks" and spend XP separately on them, with the following considerations:
    • The first level on the primary track has no XP cost (as usual), starting a secondary track at 1st level costs 1k XP, after which it may increase levels with XP normally; starting a third track at 1st level costs 2k XP, et al.

Show
    Following gestalt rules, the end result of this building method are characters that take the best HD/BaB/saves offered by all of their classes of a particular level, plus all special abilities they have access to at that level. In a monster game, 1 LA "level" from the primary track may share a level with a class level from additional Gestalt tracks.

Mathweaving: Under this system, 45k XP that would be spent to build a non-gestalt ECL 10 Minotaur Barb 2 (8 total HD), could instead yield:

Fractional BaB/saves.
    Having a +5 base to one of your saves counts as having Iron Will/Great Fortitude/Lightning Reflexes for the purposes of feat requirements.
    Feat per HD, capped at ECL. Traits/flaws are optional, and they don't net you extra feats.
    More notes to be added as necessary.
    Last edited by Sahigu; 2019-10-11 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Clarification

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Nice example of a possible build, though caster level caps at 8 because of HD so those 5th and 6th level slots would only be of use for metamagic effects.

I was looking at figuring out a way to use Elemental Scion of Zilargo's Elemental Merge ability, specifically. There's a lot of things needed to really make it work and I couldn't find a reasonable way to pack them all in.
    That's an ambitious idea, what would become of it with some extra XP and feats?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That's an ambitious idea, what would become of it with some extra XP and feats?
    It depends on a variety of factors and clarification from you, so it would involve some back and forth to see if it's possible. If it's intriguing to you I'm happy to do that, even if it turns out not doable.

I'd need a small or smaller race, probably with 5 HD of a type granting full BAB. (Elemental Scion prerequisite). Or not take as strong advantage of the nature of the monster game (sad) to have more class levels on the primary track.

I'd take the Water Devotion feat from Complete Champion - though this was errata'd to not be allowed to use additional Turn Undead attempts for more daily uses. I'd have to ask for the non errata version to be able to do my schtick more than twice per day. (Or get enough levels to be able to Summon Monster the elementals)

Then I'd need Turn Undead. My favorite source is Tenebrous Binder vestige, but I'd probably just look at taking a dip in Soldier of Light or Cleric to avoid needing several levels.

The result is a monster who wears water elementals like armor. If you best it in combat, the water elemental is defeated and the monster quickly tries to call and equip a new water elemental, giving it only brief times of being vulnerable.

The most important magic items are a decanter of endless water and if allowed, the "beer hat" from dragon magazine (AFB, I'd need to look up the item and issue number) that lets you imbibe several potions at once since temporary buffs transfer to the water elemental "armor".

The goal from there would be to get Barbarian and Bear Warrior PrC levels to apply rage buffs to the water elemental "armor".

It pretty much results in an extremely durable combat brute though. Depending on the game concept, being invested entirely in combat may or may not be a good thing.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-10-07 at 03:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Nice example of a possible build, though caster level caps at 8 because of HD so those 5th and 6th level slots would only be of use for metamagic effects.
    How are you calculating minimum caster level for spells?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

How are you calculating minimum caster level for spells?
    2*spell level -1 for prepared casters
    2*spell level for spontaneous casters
    Only taking into account the spell's effective level, not metamagic adjustments

27. - Top - End - #27

MindFlayer

I am thinking about doing a Sylph. Now the book has no LA listed but an Update for the MM II has it listed at +5 so an 8 ECL.
    So that would be 28K out of 50K
    1K for a Class
    So I could do 7 levels of a class for 21 K
    Does this mean I would have 3 RHD + 7 HD or 3 RHD+4HD (From Class)

Or could I just add Class levels to my RHD?
    Last edited by HereBeMonsters; 2019-10-07 at 09:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

A few questions, please.
    • LA buy-off?
    • What LA would you assign to a myconid sovereign? (MM2, 154-157, has no errata)
    • Can I interest you in using the Playground's very own LA assignment threads? -- not for myconid, 'cause we haven't done MM2 yet, but I'm also toying with the idea of a lycanthrope.
    • And a homebrew notion ... Myconids get one new spore ability at each level 1-6, generally somewhat like a level 2 to 4 spell. Would you be amenable to extending that pattern if I take more RHD? I like the idea of a build that's more Monster and less Class.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I'd take the Water Devotion feat from Complete Champion - though this was errata'd to not be allowed to use additional Turn Undead attempts for more daily uses.

Then I'd need Turn Undead. My favorite source is Tenebrous Binder vestige, but I'd probably just look at taking a dip in Soldier of Light or Cleric to avoid needing several levels.
    Pre-errata Water Devotion is fine by me.

Whatever method you choose for TU is fine, just remember the primary track is reserved for the monstrous side of your build. I think your best option could be an ECL 7 creature // ESoZ 7 // Cleric 3 (21k+22k+5k= 48k XP spent and 2k to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeMonsters View Post
    I am thinking about doing a Sylph. Now the book has no LA listed but an Update for the MM II has it listed at +5 so an 8 ECL.
    So that would be 28K out of 50K
    1K for a Class
    So I could do 7 levels of a class for 21 K
    Does this mean I would have 3 RHD + 7 HD or 3 RHD+4HD (From Class)
    8 ECL for a Sylph is good.

3 RHD +4 class HD would be your total.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    A few questions, please.
    • LA buy-off?
    • What LA would you assign to a myconid sovereign? (MM2, 154-157, has no errata)
    • Can I interest you in using the Playground's very own LA assignment threads? -- not for myconid, 'cause we haven't done MM2 yet, but I'm also toying with the idea of a lycanthrope.
    • And a homebrew notion ... Myconids get one new spore ability at each level 1-6, generally somewhat like a level 2 to 4 spell. Would you be amenable to extending that pattern if I take more RHD? I like the idea of a build that's more Monster and less Class.
    I haven't considered the math to weigh how valuable LA buy-off is in this system, soft no for the time being.

This update includes myconids and lists a +6 for the sovereign.

I'm familiar with the threads, and likely to consult them for reference if necessary; though most of the monsters without listed LA are that way for good reason, some can be given leeway.

Similar to LA buy-off, I'm hesitant to greenlight more homebrew into the first playtest of a homebrew character build system.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Does track A need to be all racial hd and la?

Just to be clear, I pay 1k for a track 2. After that each track gets 49k/2 exp?

What sort of level adjustment would you give a pathfinder quickling?
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing