The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Action Surge Replacements [Brainstorm, Collection of Ideas, Design Challenge]

Inspired by Cajbaj's post, what possible replacements for the action surge class feature could you imagine seeing at your table?

I challenge YOU! :D

I love the fighter class, but I'm not too much of a fan of the Action Surge class feature. It's probably a player-perception, but nonetheless I'd love to see what the good people of the forum see as appropriate changes to this class feature.

Bonus Question: Let's say I introduced the following rule: "You can no longer take the Attack Action multiple times per turn", would you give the fighter some compensatory damage feature to counteract the reduced damage output?
    Last edited by Bjarkmundur; 2019-09-30 at 05:24 AM.

Spoiler: How to Make Custom Monsters
    Show

The damage column shows total damage output on hit over an entire round, and is modified based on factors like recharge, AoE etc.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Action Surge Replacements [Brainstorm, Collection of Ideas, Design Challenge]

I missed Cajbaj's post - do you have a link handy?

I'm just waking up so I don't have too much thinking power, but I can definitely answer the bonus question, which is: yes, I would definitely give the fighter some compensation if I took away Action Surge.
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    Character Options: Fighter Remix, Paladin Oaths, Ranger Remix, Sorcerer Remix
    Playing the Game: Using Ability Score Variants
    New Subsystems: Combat Manoeuvre System
    Monsters: Yogg-Saron

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Action Surge Replacements [Brainstorm, Collection of Ideas, Design Challenge]

Quote Originally Posted by Composer99 View Post
    I missed Cajbaj's post - do you have a link handy?
    Yup

I can definitely answer the bonus question, which is: yes
    That was cheap xD
    HOW would you compensate, for example?

Spoiler: How to Make Custom Monsters
    Show

The damage column shows total damage output on hit over an entire round, and is modified based on factors like recharge, AoE etc.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    That was cheap xD
    Yes, but all you asked for was a yes/no answer. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    They would need either an ongoing damage buff, or a use-limited damage buff or control option, or some combination of any or all of these. The damage buff could be in the form of a bonus to attack rolls.

Fighters already have ongoing damage buffs in the form of fighting styles, so I don't know that I'd go with that option, although it would be simplest.

You can see why Cajbaj ends up with battle master manoeuvres, as they combine a decent damage buff with a control option.
    Last edited by Composer99; 2019-09-30 at 02:24 PM.