New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Least Harmful Difficult to Kill Beast

Just doing some theory crafting and reading Mass Polymorph. I'm imagining turning a group of enemies into something, hopefully something relatively harmless and potentially difficult to kill. My idea is if I turn 10 of 20 soldiers into something easy to kill their non polymorphed allies can tap the polymorphed ones and revert them to their normal form. BUT, if there is a "Dire Box Turtle" out there with 60 hit points, a decent AC and an D4 attack then these folks are more stuck in place.

So what is the most harmless yet difficult to kill beast you can think of?

2. - Top - End - #2

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Least Harmful Difficult to Kill Beast

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post
    Just doing some theory crafting and reading Mass Polymorph. I'm imagining turning a group of enemies into something, hopefully something relatively harmless and potentially difficult to kill. My idea is if I turn 10 of 20 soldiers into something easy to kill their non polymorphed allies can tap the polymorphed ones and revert them to their normal form. BUT, if there is a "Dire Box Turtle" out there with 60 hit points, a decent AC and an D4 attack then these folks are more stuck in place.

Orca on land.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nhorianscum View Post
    Orca on land.
    That's very easy to kill. You just gotta wait.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That's very easy to kill. You just gotta wait.
    Any combat will have long ended before a beached whale dies, though. You are talking about at least dozens of rounds of combat passing before that would be an issue. (Obviously, beached whales have survived for many hours plenty of times.) I think the suggestion is a good one for many cases.

5. - Top - End - #5

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AHF View Post
    Any combat will have long ended before a beached whale dies, though. You are talking about at least dozens of rounds of combat passing before that would be an issue. (Obviously, beached whales have survived for many hours plenty of times.) I think the suggestion is a good one for many cases.
    The poor use case being when an enemy spellcaster can upcast fly.

(Or just a big fishyshark. I don't think death by suffocation allows for reversion healing.)
    Last edited by Nhorianscum; 2019-09-30 at 10:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post

Giant crabs have really high AC for how little they can do. Depending on how they rule mass polymorph the now crabs might just scatter and crab away.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're outside, I like the idea of a small bird. It's hard to see so the enemy caster may not be able to dispel, and, it's probably not going to stick around the fight. If you drop concentration, the foe reverts to normal and is probably going to take some fall damage, and also is probably off in the distance.

If you're underground, a bat or cave fish might work.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

a bunch of moths? bees? even mosquitoes!