The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default 50-State Initiative (MCU, M&M3e)

The Avengers have been fractured in the wake of the Sokovia Accords. The sun rises on an uncertain world, caught in a state of turmoil and discord as an already turbulent status quo is changed once more. Taking a step forward into this new world, the US government has established the 50-State Initiative under the Department of Homeland Security. This initiative seeks to organize a team of enhanced individuals for each state of the union that will have the authorization and ability to protect the country from all super-powered threats, both foreign and domestic.

You will be the new members of a team deployed to the state of Maryland on the eastern seaboard. With its close proximity to Washington DC, the capabilities and conduct of this team will be under close scrutiny...

System: Mutants & Masterminds 3e
    Player Count: 4-6
    Style of Play: Casual Action & Adventure, Light RP
    Allowed Content: M&M 3e sourcebook

Character Creation:

• Backstory: Your character can be wholly original or inspired from the comics. No current or future MCU-canon characters allowed (So no Captain America, no Daredevil, no She-Hulk, etc). As this is the MCUverse try to keep backstories grounded and not too fantastical. Magic is allowed, but try to tie to things other than the sorcerers of Kamar Taj.
    • Power Level: 8-10, I had an idea about tweaking how many power points you get per level, but that's a discussion to be had.
    • Alignment: Chaotic Neutral, True Neutral, Neutral Evil, and Chaotic Evil characters are not going to be accepted. Chaotic Good-types will be accepted, but be advised they'll have a difficult time within the initiative.

Other Notes: I can either do this game on this forum or create a custom proboards forum to hold it on. There's pros and cons to each, but having a custom forum does allow for a little more exploration of the characters without having to bog down a single IC thread.

Also if people want, I could do this in 2e instead, where you'd also be able to access the ultimate power and mecha and manga books.

I suck at building tables in this, so we're doing this the old fashioned way. This is a list of prospective players, the official roster has not been set yet.

Zero Prime - Vector - Sheet Submitted, Under Review
    tonberrian - Hulkling - Sheet Submitted, Under Review
    Deja Who? - Songbird - Sheet Submitted, Under Review
    gac3 - Agency - Sheet Submitted, Under Review
    Modigar - ??? - No Sheet
    Grim Ranger - ??? - No Sheet
    Lord of Gifts - ??? - No Sheet
    Izzarra - Frost - Sheet Submitted, Under Review
    Heavenblade - Formica - No Sheet
    Ancient - ??? - No Sheet
    Henry the 57th - The Enforcer - Sheet Submitted, Under Review
    Koboldbard - Inhuman - Sheet Submitted, Under Review
    Rhyvurg - Ambrose the Wizard - Sheet Submitted, Under Review
    Supercracker - Invincible Aegis - Sheet Submitted, Under Review
    Last edited by Julian84; 2019-10-08 at 07:05 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 50-State Initiative (MCU, M&M3e)

Color me interested. A lover of Superhero RPG's, and both Marvel Comics & the MCU.

As someone who has GM'd M&M at a face to face table for years, I have to say I am not a fan of varied PL's and would rather we all share the same PL, whether that is PL 8, 9 or 10. I do have a strong preference for 2E, I enjoy some of the granularity to Attack & Defense vs Fighting, Dodge & Parry, plus a more robust skill system accommodates skill-based builds better, for concepts like Black Widow, Daredevil, Hawkeye, etc ...

Not sure what I would build, potentially a super-speedster, or a power armor type. Question though, would this be taking place after Infinity War, so there are post snap shennigans to figure out, or just after Age of Ultron & Civil War? Oh! And mutants? Are the X-Men a thing?

3. - Top - End - #3

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Color me interested. A lover of Superhero RPG's, and both Marvel Comics & the MCU.

As someone who has GM'd M&M at a face to face table for years, I have to say I am not a fan of varied PL's and would rather we all share the same PL, whether that is PL 8, 9 or 10. I do have a strong preference for 2E, I enjoy some of the granularity to Attack & Defense vs Fighting, Dodge & Parry, plus a more robust skill system accommodates skill-based builds better, for concepts like Black Widow, Daredevil, Hawkeye, etc ...

Not sure what I would build, potentially a super-speedster, or a power armor type. Question though, would this be taking place after Infinity War, so there are post snap shennigans to figure out, or just after Age of Ultron & Civil War? Oh! And mutants? Are the X-Men a thing?
    Ah, I guess I should clarify - I meant that the PL would be one of those three, across the board. I'd personally like to do PL 10 but experiment with perhaps only 8 power points per level. One thing I find is that PL 10s tend to be a bit too powerful while PL 8s have trouble finding places to spend their points because things are too expensive to pursue or the level caps mean they don't need to spend a lot.

I do agree with your assessment of 3e vs 2e, I prefer the latter myself, but I know it's not as popular here.

This would be pre-Infinity War, during the time period between the Civil War and Thor 3 technically speaking. Don't want to deal with Snap stuff since there's a lot still up in the air with that.

You can do characters inspired by mutants, but until I see what the MCU actually plans to do with those I won't be touching them or allowing them in this game. I'd prefer to keep this close to the canon material. But if you want to do a character who was in the X-Men but also on other teams, I'd allow that as long as you tied their origin to something more based in the MCU canon (magic, tech, super-soldier experiment, infinity gem experiment, gamma radiation, inhumans, etc).
    Last edited by Julian84; 2019-09-30 at 08:44 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I'm interested, but leary about decreasing PP per PL. Also I don't think i'd spring for yet another forum to keep track of, but as an alternative I'd suggest discord.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can I be Songbird, Agent of Shield? I donít think she has an MCU adaptation yet.

6. - Top - End - #6

I'm super interested, no idea as what yet but I also vote for 2e.

7. - Top - End - #7

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Who? View Post
    Can I be Songbird, Agent of Shield? I donít think she has an MCU adaptation yet.
    Interesting concept, and thereís a lot to unpack there, haha. Songbird originally being a villain, Screaming Mimi, how the agent of SHIELD parts factor into her backstory in an MCU version, and more. Go ahead and run with this concept, Iím curious to see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    I'm super interested, no idea as what yet but I also vote for 2e.
    Eyyy another 2e fan! Iím all for taking it old school. Let me know when you feel youíve got a concept in mind and weíll talk about it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd lean PL10 and 3e myself, I agree that mixed PL can have issues.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Interested. I would prefer 3e and 8 PL, but the PL thing is more negotiable thing: suppose I find character building for lower points easier and all.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, this is just a working concept ... but let me introduce you to Vector

Spoiler: Vector Mk III
    Show

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Vector - PL 10

Strength 10, Stamina 4, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4, Intellect 4, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Advantages
    Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Benefit, Security Clearance: Stark Industries, Close Attack 6, Eidetic Memory, Evasion 2, Improved Critical 2: High Velocity Barrage, Improved Initiative 5, Inventor, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed

Skills
    Expertise: Engineering & Technology 4 (+8), Insight 6 (+8), Investigation 4 (+8), Perception 6 (+8), Technology 4 (+8)

Powers
    Direct Neural Interface: Comprehend 2 (Machines / Electronics; Distracting)
    Hyper Velocity Exosuit (Removable)
    . . Accelerated Reflexes & Response Time: Enhanced Trait 26 (Traits: Dodge +4 (+8), Parry +4 (+8), Advantages: Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Close Attack 6, Evasion 2, Improved Initiative 5, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Uncanny Dodge)
    . . Advanced Nanotube Construction: Protection 8 (+8 Toughness)
    . . Advanced Optics & Heads Up Display: Senses 1 (Radius: Normal Vision)
    . . Augmented Speed & Response
    . . . . Quickness: Quickness 4 (Perform routine tasks in -4 time ranks)
    . . . . Speed: Speed 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
    . . Augmented Strength & Power: Enhanced Strength 10 (+10 STR)
    . . High Velocity Speed & Response: Speed 11 ([0 active, 0/11 PP, 1/r], Speed: 4000 miles/hour, 8 miles/round; Stacks with: Speed: Speed 4)
    . . . . Quickness: Quickness 11 (Alternate; [0 active, 0/11 PP, 1/r], Perform routine tasks in -11 time ranks; Stacks with: Quickness: Quickness 4)
    . . Hyper Velocity Barrage (Advantages: Improved Critical 2, Takedown 2; Multiattack, Reach (melee) 5: 25 ft., Subtle: subtle)
    . . . . Concealment: Concealment 10 (Alternate; All Senses; Partial)
    . . . . High Velocity Manuevering (Alternate; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 20, Selective)
    . . Hyper Velocity Movement: Movement 3 (Wall-crawling 2: full speed, Water Walking 1: you sink if you are prone; Limited: Must maintain a Speed of 8+)
    . . Polarized Face Plate & Aerodynamic Design: Immunity 7 (Environmental Condition: Extreme Heat, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Sensory Affliction Effects; Limited: Sensory Affliction: Visual Effects Only [5 ranks only])

Offense
    Initiative +20
    Grab, +10 (DC Spec 20)
    Throw, +0 (DC 25)
    Unarmed, +10 (DC 25)

Complications
    Enemy: AIM
    Identity: Harley Keener
    Relationship: Tony Stark
    Responsibility: Education, Stark Industries, the Initiative
    Weakness: Gravitic Effects

Languages
    English, Native

Defense
    Dodge 8/4, Parry 8/4, Fortitude 8, Toughness 12, Will 12

Power Points
    Abilities 28 + Powers 88 + Advantages 4 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 150

Basic concept is that Harley Keener (yes, *that* Keener from Iron Man III) was kidnapped by the remnants of Killian's organization, AIM, who, after his death wanted to bring down Stark. Knowing of the bond between Stark and the kid from Tennessee, they kid napped him, implanting a piece of tech in the base of his spine that would allow him to tap into and manipulate JARVIS. They killed Keener's mother with a rigged car accident, and placed Keener at the scene, struck by the tragic loss of his mother, Stark took the young man in as apprentice. Over the next few months, Stark Industries reeled under financial loss as they lost several contracts due to what should have been secure patents being released by their competitors.

Discovering that Killian's company has gone underground and was being funded by a mysterious covert organization, Stark suited up to confront their operations. What he didn't realize is that with the aid of their plant, Keener, AIM had the schematics for the Mk XLVII suit he wore, and were able to drain it's power supply, and lock down the ARC reactor in his chest. However, at Stark Tower, Potts discovered Keener downloading the schematics for the Reactor through the implanted Neural Interface, she restrained him, and unable to contact Tony, reached out to SHIELD and Agent Coulson. Over the next few weeks, working with advanced psycho analysists, and a SHIELD research team they were able to reak AIM's conditioning.

Keener, feeling responsible for Stark's disappearance persuaded JARVIS to allow him access to Stark's workshop, where he modified the prototype Mk XLIX armor using the neural interface implanted on the base of his spine by AIM. The suit was not yet complete, and did not have the weapon systems Stark would normally implement on his suits, but it did miniture emergency ARC batteries located on the hips of the armor. However, once he donned the suit, Keener quickly realized his Neural Interface allowed him to operate the armor at a much higher level than Stark had ever managed, providing the suit with superhuman levels of speed and agility, perhaps enough to rival Maximoff who died in Sokovia. Due to his conditioning Keener was being watched by SHIELD, he was able to persuade his handler's to release AIM's probable location, given his level of speed, Keener was able to complete a grid search of the area in less than a minute, and was breaking into the complex before the SHIELD Agents could even determine his location.

Spoiler: Mk XLIX
    Show

Confronted with AIM designed versions of Stark's earlier suits, Keener, using his interface and the XLIX's superior design was able to defeat one suit, and retreive Stark before the rest of the organization's defenses were able to come on-line. AIM, fearing exposure, did not further pursue Stark and his young ally, Keener. Stark, on recovering, helped Kenner modify the XLIX into what he wears now, the Vector Mk III. So when the Department of Homeland Security implemented the 50 State Initiative, Stark, a respected member of the heroic community, and supporter of the Sokovia Accord, recommended young Keener for the program.

The above is just a first draft assuming M&M 3E & the fairly standard PL 10, 150PP's, just so folks have an idea where I am going with the concept.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-10-01 at 07:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Modigar View Post
    I'd lean PL10 and 3e myself, I agree that mixed PL can have issues.
    Again, this was not actually something I planned to do, it's a miscommunication. I was saying that the power level for the campaign would be either 8, 9, or 10, but I hadn't decided and was open to player input on what power level was desired. We're not going to be mixing power levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    Interested. I would prefer 3e and 8 PL, but the PL thing is more negotiable thing: suppose I find character building for lower points easier and all.
    Yeah, we'll probably end up leaning towards PL 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Alright, this is just a working concept ... but let me introduce you to Vector

Stark, a respected memer of the heroic community

The above is just a first draft assuming M&M 3E & the fairly standard PL 10, 150PP's, just so folks have an idea where I am going with the concept.
    I know memer is likely a typo but it is not an incorrect statement I feel

I like this concept, though the murder of Harley's mother is a bit dark for my tastes. Other than that, this is a really good starting point for the character.
    Last edited by Julian84; 2019-10-01 at 07:17 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I am with you, I am sure Stark has 1 to 2 gigs of meme's stored for use at any time with a voice command to JARVIS.

The MCU has shown a propensity for killing off characters so much I had to struggle to find a villain conection with Tony that wasn't dead, lol! Yeah, killing Harley's mother is harsh, but I couldn't think of a way for her to not notice her son had been missing for a few weeks while they implanted the Neural device in him without losing the suspension of disbelief by mind wiping her too. Though we could go that route if you wish ... but it gives Tony less reason to take him in, thereby providing access to JARVIS. Maybe they kidnapped her so they could pressure the kid, and her body was an AIM version of Fury's Life Model Decoy, so when he rescued Stark he found and rescued his mom?

Happy to work with you on it though ...

13. - Top - End - #13

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hmm, that's a good point. I'm leaning towards the kidnapping angle, but let's put a pin in that for now and discuss it more later. For now, I think you've established a pretty solid concept that I'd like to carry forward into the game.

Edit: Actually, let's run with what your original concept was. That'll work fine in the long run and give the character some emotional stakes to start with, room for character development.
    Last edited by Julian84; 2019-10-01 at 07:44 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Posting interest, pending agreement on which edition and PL. I prefer 3e, but would be happy with any PL in the 8-10 range.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Gifts View Post
    Well, I go by Annatar on one or two other places.
    You're going to have one hell of a time proposing.

15. - Top - End - #15

OrcBarbarianGuy

The feeling of PL 10 seems to be mostly unanimous from what I can see, and the voting is going in the direction of 3e for now.

16. - Top - End - #16

Planetar

I always love me a good supers game! Ill probably submit an OG character, but still haven't figured out the details.

Perhaps something with mirrors?...or a math-focused guy...Ill submit something soon-ish

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Julian84 View Post
    Eyyy another 2e fan! Iím all for taking it old school. Let me know when you feel youíve got a concept in mind and weíll talk about it.
    I would love to do a multiple man build probably under the premise that he was originally one of Hydra's experiments. My concern is that I've been made to believe that powers like duplication can be OP in M&M and I'm not trying to be.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Then do a duplication build without using summon. M&M is a very flexile system, think of WHAT you want to achieve, mechanically, and build that.

Swarm an opponent, buy it as extra damage on your strength, with the descriptor of Mobbing him with 5 to 10 duplicates. Want to move a bunch of rubble and clear a blocked road way, Move Object Area Effect, with the descriptor of Duplicates. Want to beat a bunch of mooks with you and your duplicates, purchase an Area Burst Damage effect. Want to do tasks faster because you have a gang helping you, Quickness (Limited: Physical Tasks Only). You could purchase Enhanced Strength & Toughness, to represent you are a swarm of you ...

Here's a 2E Version of Jamie Maddox without using Duplication ... should give you an idea of how to frame it.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-10-01 at 08:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

I cannot resist M&M.
    Voting for 3e PL10.
    I have an ice controller that I will try to finish up.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Posting Hulkling, while I work on their backstory.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

Ill submit Jennifer "jenny" eblard, AKA "Formica" - a mutated/mystic warrior who dual wields pincer-blades and has the various abilities of ants (strength, stamina, pheromones, climbing, perhaps flight/poison...who knows?)

22. - Top - End - #22

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    I would love to do a multiple man build probably under the premise that he was originally one of Hydra's experiments. My concern is that I've been made to believe that powers like duplication can be OP in M&M and I'm not trying to be.
    I've never actually had a player do duplication in a game before, so I cannot confirm or deny. Zero Prime had some fairly good recommendations for other ways to go about it, but I'm fine if you want to just try your hand at using the duplication power and seeing where it goes. I love the idea of him being a Hydra experiment!

Unfortunately it seems like we'll have to do this with 3e, so if that kills your interest I understand, but I'd love if you could stick with the game anyhow!

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    I cannot resist M&M.
    Voting for 3e PL10.
    I have an ice controller that I will try to finish up.
    Neat! Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    Ill submit Jennifer "jenny" eblard, AKA "Formica" - a mutated/mystic warrior who dual wields pincer-blades and has the various abilities of ants (strength, stamina, pheromones, climbing, perhaps flight/poison...who knows?)
    Interesting concept! Lot of possibilities in the mechanics, definitely. Let's avoid using the mutated word, perhaps she could be an Inhuman? Agents of SHIELD made it canon that a new world-wide wave of terrigenesis did occur, so perhaps that's something we could roll with.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Posting Hulkling, while I work on their backstory.
    Uhh, dropping that many points into abilities like that isn't going to work for me. Spread that out a little bit. I'd also like a breakdown on where +18 on dodge and parry are coming from.

And I'll need to check my 3e copy later, but that's not normally how I'd let my players use the benefit advantage.
    Last edited by Julian84; 2019-10-02 at 07:12 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Planetar

Interesting concept! Lot of possibilities in the mechanics, definitely. Let's avoid using the mutated word, perhaps she could be an Inhuman? Agents of SHIELD made it canon that a new world-wide wave of terrigenesis did occur, so perhaps that's something we could roll with.

No problem! My idea was that she comes from some sort of order of warriors, but she wanted to escape that life. Became a super regardless, and currently escaping her responsibilities as the next in line to become queen in order to help peoples with her powers

(Perhaps a future story arc is that she becomes a queen, her pheromone abilities get much stronger, almost uncontrollable (because she is supposed to give a heiress eventually),

And she has to deal with tons of attention even though she is a shy person...could be interesting)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

her pheromone abilities get much stronger, almost uncontrollable, And she has to deal with tons of attention even though she is a shy person...could be interesting
    Jarvis. Note to self. Consult with Mr. Stark re: Olfactory Filter & Scent Blockers in design meeting for next Vector upgrade.

25. - Top - End - #25

OrcBarbarianGuy

No problem! My idea was that she comes from some sort of order of warriors, but she wanted to escape that life. Became a super regardless, and currently escaping her responsibilities as the next in line to become queen in order to help peoples with her powers

(Perhaps a future story arc is that she becomes a queen, her pheromone abilities get much stronger, almost uncontrollable (because she is supposed to give a heiress eventually),

And she has to deal with tons of attention even though she is a shy person...could be interesting)
    Hmm, well if you wanted to go with the Marvel tradition of mythology providing a basis for superheroes, I do know the Native American Hopi tribe do have specific mythos about their relationship with ants, basing some societal traits off of what they learned from helpful ants during the destruction of the first and second worlds (long story). Given that other Native American societies (such as the Aztecs) had animalistic warrior elites, perhaps Formica might find herself in a confluence of these ideas. Just food for thought.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Spider Woman hasn't made it into the MCU yet, and she has some Pheromone based powers. Or relate it to the Terra-Mist incident, maybe a woman, some sort of Entomologist was studying a colony of ants in the Hopi desert, and the Terra-Mist washed over her, mutating her and the colony, etc, etc ... there's certainly stuff workable there.

27. - Top - End - #27

Planetar

Perhaps, but Im thinking about something more "magical" in origin. Perhaps my character was in the hopi desert and contacted the ancient ant-totem or something...Ill think about it.

I also.like the idea of her being part of a secret society of warriors, but perhaps she is the last one and they act like a "mental colony" of some sort...

28. - Top - End - #28

OrcBarbarianGuy

Perhaps, but Im thinking about something more "magical" in origin. Perhaps my character was in the hopi desert and contacted the ancient ant-totem or something...Ill think about it.

I also.like the idea of her being part of a secret society of warriors, but perhaps she is the last one and they act like a "mental colony" of some sort...
    Perhaps theyíre a descendant of a secretive order of ant-based warriors who have a connection with the ant totem, which causes a magical transformation when she makes contact with it.

A mental colony, sort of a psychic connection with other warriors, both living and dead?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Curious if Heavenblade would be open to switching the theme from Ant to some other insect? Locust or something, the idea if a science themed Ant character, ie. Ant-Man, and a mystic one just messes with me.

Spoiler: Or a Bee!
    Show

If not, I'll deal, just a thought.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-10-02 at 10:29 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Julian84 View Post
    Uhh, dropping that many points into abilities like that isn't going to work for me. Spread that out a little bit. I'd also like a breakdown on where +18 on dodge and parry are coming from.

And I'll need to check my 3e copy later, but that's not normally how I'd let my players use the benefit advantage.
    I'm... not sure what you mean about abilities? Are we not going to be able to play super strong, super tough guys? The 18's are merely what you have to roll to hit them. The benefit is literally just a custom advantage. If you think it's broken (it really isn't, in my opinion, just allowing me to grab without also applying damage), I can remove it.