The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 50-State Initiative (MCU, M&M3e)

The benefit gives you 6 PP of Close Combat (Grappling) for 1 PP. If you want the same base attack for Unarmed and Grapple get Close Combat for 12 PP.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I'm... not sure what you mean about abilities? Are we not going to be able to play super strong, super tough guys? The 18's are merely what you have to roll to hit them. The benefit is literally just a custom advantage. If you think it's broken (it really isn't, in my opinion, just allowing me to grab without also applying damage), I can remove it.
    You dump all other stats for focusing 8 ranks into only three stats. That doesn't work for me in terms of character creation, mix it up a little.

Ok, how you had formatted it made it look like an additional bonus, not the threshold that needed to be met.

Benefit traditionally is not a custom advantage, but a IC benefit that your character has, such as possessing a SHIELD clearance or a high rank in the military or government. There's a difference between that and what is essentially a homebrewed mechanical advantage.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Julian84 View Post
    You dump all other stats for focusing 8 ranks into only three stats. That doesn't work for me in terms of character creation, mix it up a little.

Ok, how you had formatted it made it look like an additional bonus, not the threshold that needed to be met.

Benefit traditionally is not a custom advantage, but a IC benefit that your character has, such as possessing a SHIELD clearance or a high rank in the military or government. There's a difference between that and what is essentially a homebrewed mechanical advantage.
    Benefit also covers that as well - in the book an example benefit is Ambidexterity, and also arguably Cipher, as it's a direct mechanical benefit rather than some IC status thing. If you'd prefer it listed as a custom advantage, I can do that. If you'd prefer it not to exist at all, I can do that as well. As to whether or not it's broken, with Fast Grab all my unarmed attacks can become grabs. This only allows me to grab without doing damage first. I originally based this off what I thought was a 1 point advantage on weapons allowing them to grab, but i can't seem to find it any more.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

4. - Top - End - #34

OrcBarbarianGuy

Benefit also covers that as well - in the book an example benefit is Ambidexterity, and also arguably Cipher, as it's a direct mechanical benefit rather than some IC status thing. If you'd prefer it listed as a custom advantage, I can do that. If you'd prefer it not to exist at all, I can do that as well. As to whether or not it's broken, with Fast Grab all my unarmed attacks can become grabs. This only allows me to grab without doing damage first. I originally based this off what I thought was a 1 point advantage on weapons allowing them to grab, but i can't seem to find it any more.
    Like I said, I need to go back and check my copy of 3e to determine how best to approach this, but the usage you're pursuing is not traditionally what I'm accustomed to seeing. I have no determinations yet on whether this could be considered "broken" or not, so standby on that.

5. - Top - End - #35

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Curious if Heavenblade would be open to switching the theme from Ant to some other insect? Locust or something, the idea if a science themed Ant character, ie. Ant-Man, and a mystic one just messes with me.

Spoiler: Or a Bee!
    Show

If not, I'll deal, just a thought.

I guess I could, but ants have a really cool package of features that are really thematic for a superhero (strnegth and durability, natural attacks, mandibles as weapons, pheromones, climbing, and upgrade options like wings and extra pheromones)

6. - Top - End - #36

OrcBarbarianGuy

If you want Formica to be ant-themed, then ant-themed she will be Let's try not to make too many suggestions on changing other people's concepts from here on out, folks, at least not without the player prompting the discussion first.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

That's fair! Sorry. I'll behave now!

By way of apology some inspiration ...

Spoiler: Ant!
    Show
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-10-02 at 01:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Have an idea for US Agent, though maybe not as douchie as the original. Basically has been overseas fighting the good fight in Iraq/Afghanistan, but is burnt out/PTSD'd, and has been recalled to the states.

9. - Top - End - #39

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Have an idea for US Agent, though maybe not as douchie as the original. Basically has been overseas fighting the good fight in Iraq/Afghanistan, but is burnt out/PTSD'd, and has been recalled to the states.
    Unfortunately, since US Agent (John Walker) is actually a future MCU character I'm gonna have to say no to this specific concept, per my rule about canon characters (at least central canon characters. Zero Prime's Harley Keener I'm letting skate by because he basically is in only one movie and two seconds of Endgame).

That said, if you want to put another name on it like say Battlestar, Right-Winger/Left-Winger or somesuch, go ahead. They're all free game still.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Did they touch on the Isiah Bradley legacy in Power Man? I totally forget if he came up?

11. - Top - End - #41

BlackDragon

Unfortunately, since US Agent (John Walker) is actually a future MCU character I'm gonna have to say no to this specific concept, per my rule about canon characters (at least central canon characters. Zero Prime's Harley Keener I'm letting skate by because he basically is in only one movie and two seconds of Endgame).

That said, if you want to put another name on it like say Battlestar, Right-Winger/Left-Winger or somesuch, go ahead. They're all free game still.
    Silver Star?

12. - Top - End - #42

OrcBarbarianGuy

Did they touch on the Isiah Bradley legacy in Power Man? I totally forget if he came up?
    I don't think Isaiah Bradley has been touched upon at all in either the Netflix shows or in the movies. He might come up later if they decide to run Young Avengers, but since that is not official yet if anyone wanted to use Bradley I'd be fine with it.

Silver Star?
    I've never even heard of that character before today, unless that was just a potential alternate superhero title for your character concept There is actually a Silver Star created by Jack Kirby, but he [Silver Star] doesn't seem to have any relation to the Marvel canon so you can use that title if you want.
    Last edited by Julian84; 2019-10-02 at 01:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Given the focus of the Power Man series, the fact Bradley wasn't tied to it almost feels like a wasted opportunity.

14. - Top - End - #44

I've never actually had a player do duplication in a game before, so I cannot confirm or deny. Zero Prime had some fairly good recommendations for other ways to go about it, but I'm fine if you want to just try your hand at using the duplication power and seeing where it goes. I love the idea of him being a Hydra experiment!

Unfortunately it seems like we'll have to do this with 3e, so if that kills your interest I understand, but I'd love if you could stick with the game anyhow!
    Doesn't kill my interest. It's still a marvel m&m game so you have me hooked. Will work on the idea some.

May end up asking for help or advice. Open to any blatant suggestions you have.
    Last edited by gac3; 2019-10-02 at 03:50 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

OrcBarbarianGuy

Benefit also covers that as well
    After reviewing the benefit advantage I'm inclined to agree. You're free to use that benefit.

Given the focus of the Power Man series, the fact Bradley wasn't tied to it almost feels like a wasted opportunity.
    I mean, wasted opportunities is sort of the alternate title of the Luke Cage series

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Doesn't kill my interest. It's still a marvel m&m game so you have me hooked. Will work on the idea some.

May end up asking for help or advice. Open to any blatant suggestions you have.
    Looking forward to what you come up with

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

How do you feel about Agents of SHIELD style Inhumans? Specifically a former resident of Afterlife.
    Zenithbold-Bard by Lord Raziere | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

17. - Top - End - #47

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    How do you feel about Agents of SHIELD style Inhumans? Specifically a former resident of Afterlife.
    Sounds great! Bonus points if you do some research to try and figure out how those inhumans and the Attilan inhumans are connected xp

18. - Top - End - #48

Planetar

Have we decided on 3e?

19. - Top - End - #49

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    Have we decided on 3e?
    Yep, 3e and PL 10 seems to be the majority consensus.

20. - Top - End - #50

BlackDragon

I've never even heard of that character before today, unless that was just a potential alternate superhero title for your character concept There is actually a Silver Star created by Jack Kirby, but he [Silver Star] doesn't seem to have any relation to the Marvel canon so you can use that title if you want.
    Alternate superhero title, the Kirby Silver Star is...odd, though right now, I am thinking maybe a cybernetic reconstruction rather than a supersoldier experiment, a soldier that was blown up in an IED and given experimental cybernetic limbs and implants.

21. - Top - End - #51

OrcBarbarianGuy

Alternate superhero title, the Kirby Silver Star is...odd, though right now, I am thinking maybe a cybernetic reconstruction rather than a supersoldier experiment, a soldier that was blown up in an IED and given experimental cybernetic limbs and implants.
    “We can rebuild him... Better, faster, stronger... We have the means, the technology.”

Sounds good dude, look forward to what you come up with!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Is this still recruiting? I’ve had an idea for a hero going by “Enforcer” that I’ve wanted to try. Basically a hardcore lawful neutral former riot cop with powers over the earth. Runs around in blue-black body armor, a face-concealing helmet, and lugs a heavy riot shield and club with him wherever he goes. Somewhat overzealous.
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

23. - Top - End - #53

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Henry the 57th View Post
    Is this still recruiting? I’ve had an idea for a hero going by “Enforcer” that I’ve wanted to try. Basically a hardcore lawful neutral former riot cop with powers over the earth. Runs around in blue-black body armor, a face-concealing helmet, and lugs a heavy riot shield and club with him wherever he goes. Somewhat overzealous.
    Yep, still recruiting! I haven't made any final decisions on the roster by a long shot, especially not when there are barely any finished sheets, haha. Your idea sounds interesting, could make for a good foil against some of the other characters on the team. I'm curious how you'll develop his terrakinesis powers, it seems a rather surprising match for a overzealous cop-type character.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, still recruiting! I haven't made any final decisions on the roster by a long shot, especially not when there are barely any finished sheets, haha. Your idea sounds interesting, could make for a good foil against some of the other characters on the team. I'm curious how you'll develop his terrakinesis powers, it seems a rather surprising match for a overzealous cop-type character.
    Well I’m planning to have him be relatively immobile (except burrowing), but nearly impossible to dislodge by combining elemental form with controlling the earth. Ideally I’d like to have the ability to make some minions out of stone if I can find the points, giving me a phalanx of riot police. I haven’t worked out the points yet. Overzealousness comes out in his methods, his actual powers are a deliberate contrast to his preferred approach.

Oh, and can we use the deluxe edition hero’s handbook?
    -Me

25. - Top - End - #55

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Henry the 57th View Post
    Well I’m planning to have him be relatively immobile (except burrowing), but nearly impossible to dislodge by combining elemental form with controlling the earth. Ideally I’d like to have the ability to make some minions out of stone if I can find the points, giving me a phalanx of riot police. I haven’t worked out the points yet. Overzealousness comes out in his methods, his actual powers are a deliberate contrast to his preferred approach.

Oh, and can we use the deluxe edition hero’s handbook?
    Interesting powers concept. So he sort of gets rooted to the spot, creating stone minions to fight for him?

Unfortunately no, please stick to the 3e core book.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting powers concept. So he sort of gets rooted to the spot, creating stone minions to fight for him?

Unfortunately no, please stick to the 3e core book.
    He turns to an elemental form, raises a phalanx around him, and advances in a slow but inevitable grind. If I do my homework right he should be nearly impervious to damage and able to pop out nearly anywhere but no faster than an ordinary human. Very much the kind of guy who’d be better on defense than bashing skulls, much to his own chagrin.
    -Me

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, Hulkling MK 2, with bonus complications and backstory!
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Incomplete, but here's the start of David "Inhuman" Staranson.

His array power is mostly fluff and I don't expect to get any use out of it. It just helps flesh him out a bit for 2PP.
    Zenithbold-Bard by Lord Raziere | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

29. - Top - End - #59

Well dang. I go to look through the books to find an example of a duplicator to use as a guideline. The only one I found was in the watchguard book where they built Battalion with multiple Minions as if it was only 1 per rank. Is that a mistake or is there an errata of some sort changing the price? I assumed the first.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Just be careful with Equipment Kobold, equipment is used to represent something you can go down to Wal-Mart to purchase on your own, pistols, rifles, cellphones, your Initiative Outfit is a little high tech for that and would likely fall under device rules. A flak vest however is Protection 3 or 4, and qualifies as equipment.