New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Ironfang Invasion Part I - Trail of the Hunted

Grinner watches Asdoukar approach and winces at a few missteps. He approaches cautiously and tries to move a little more quietly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth (1d20+5)[22]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Dom, never one to skulk or sneak about, does his best to move efficiently to the next location. He walks unhurriedly, and unbothered in the shadows, so that if he is scene he appears as an Invader. Dom and his large frame trying to sneak will certainly bring more attention than if he just tries to look like he belongs.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Phaendar, Nirmathas. Outside Oreld's Fine Shop.
    Fireday midnight, 16 Arodus, 4709

Spoiler: Oreld's Fine Shop
    Show

As Androukas and Dominic both stride forward, slowly, carefully, like a bloodied ghost, Grinner slips past them with blade and whip in hand. Crouched low, he approaches the door which hangs ajar, splintered and badly warped hinges holding it in place. The shop's interior consists primarily of a desk, a few crowded shelves, and a cluttered window display, all of which have been ransacked by invaders. A broad shouldered hobgoblin with olive green skin drags the prone form of Oreld around by short length of chain which has been attached to the crude iron collar around the shopkeeper's neck. A javelin protrudes from Oreld's midsection, his leather apron stained russet from the wound. The hobgoblin mutters to himself as he searches, "Books," he snarls yanking angrily on the chain, "Ghaliiz will make fine alchemeeest," he slurs the word in the common tongue, "if only he finds humahn's books! Yes!"

Surprise Round 0:

The Hobgoblin is about 15' from the front door located at the desk in the NE corner of the 1st room. Grinner what do you do?!?

OOC: Because of the awesome sauce Stealth check Grinner gets an entire surprise round, move & action, as he sees fit. THEN I will post the results of that action, and then the players can act on Round 1, and then Ghaliiz acts. 3, 2, 1, GO!
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-11-03 at 08:35 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94

SwashbucklerGuy

Grinner takes in the scene for only a moment, his choler rising at the sight of another hobgoblin. Gripping his whip tightly, he snaps his arm out swinging the whip at the hobgoblins neck so he can pull it down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard see action trip with combat expertise (1d20+5)[24]

Move Action: move 15' towards hobgoblin

Hopefully there is an aoo coming up (1d20+3)[6]
    Damage (1d8+3)[8]

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Phaendar, Nirmathas. Inside Oreld's Fine Shop.

With a hiss and an echoing crack, the coiled leather of Grinner's whip coils around the Ironfang Alchemist's ankles, and with a sudden flick of the wrist, Grinner manages to pull him savagely to the ground before surging forward placing himself between the Hobgoblin and his semi-conscious prisoner. Oreld only manages to moan a soft gurgle, before Grinner's companions can act.

ROUND ONE:

Heroes act, including Grinner!

OOC: Since the players go before the Hobgoblin, he can't stand up or thereby draw an attack of opportunity. So we'll ignore that pitious attack roll Fedora. However, with the desk to his rear, Oreld to his right, and Grinner in front of him, the only open spot to engage is from his left, which means only one player can enter melee on round one. Though conceivably another could remove Oreld from danger.

So heroes, what do you do?!?
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-11-06 at 04:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Asdoukar
    HP12 AC 18-2

"Let me have him!"

Asdoukar, frustrated that he has been unable to vent his rage, flies towards the downed hobgoblin, determined to end him in one stroke.

Spoiler: OOC Attack
    Show
    Charge and PA (1d20+6)[17] dmg (2d6+9)[21]

7. - Top - End - #97
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Magrem Borsk HP 12 of 9 / AC 17 (Shield) and Goremund the Boar HP 21 of 18 / AC 18

Magrem and Goremund bring up the rear entering the building quietly. Magrem slowly closes the door behind him.

Seeing Oreld’s limp body on the ground, Magrem waves his hand and murmurs an archaic phrase to bind the man's open wounds. He kneels down next to Oreld to determine the shopkeeper's condition.

Spoiler: Stabilize
    Show
    Magrem casts stabilize on Oreld to prevent him from bleeding out if the man is near death. He kneels down next to Oreld to determine if the man is dead, unconscious, or feigning death.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Dominic "Dom" Tanner - 16 AC /10+3 = 13HP

Dom jogs into the building. Seeing that the enemy is through beaten, Dom stays near the door, keeping a lookout in case they were followed.

Spoiler
    Show
    My apologies. I thought I posted yesterday. Not sure if I didn't click post, or just imagined the post.

9. - Top - End - #99

SwashbucklerGuy

Grinner Montague-Sauchanteau HP=10 AC=16

With the hobgoblin dead and Magrem tending to Oreld. Grinner takes stock of the room before checking the hobgoblin for a key to free Oreld from the collar.

Spoiler
    Show
    If he doesn't find a key, Grinner will start picking the lock, taking 10 for a 16
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2019-11-04 at 08:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

As Grinner's whip snakes the Hobgoblins legs and pulls him harshley to the floor, Asdoukar rushes forward, reversing the gring on his wide bladed great sword, and drives it through the goblins stomach, pinning him to the floor boards of Areld's shop with a sickening *Squeelch!* Grinner kneels beside the semi-conscious Oreld, and as he fumbles with the collar, he notices the angry burns and welts where a still hot rivet was driven through the clasp, while possible to remove the collar it would require both tools and time. In disgust the former soldier unthreaded the chain and threw it to the floor. At the same time Magrem moves to the man's side, whisper's words that were ancient before the Fangwood had grown beyond a small grove of trees, and as he pressed his hand to the wound, he gently removed the javelin from the keeper's side. The blood that stained the druid's bandages was red, bright, and clean, his incantation having cleansed the wound of any lingering infection or illness.

As Oreld passed into unconsciousness he relaxed, a small key slipping from his hand.

OOC: Updated; you find loot on the Alchemist as follows; Potion of Cure Light Wound (2), Potion of Invisibility, Alchemist's Fire (3), Antitoxin, Healer's Kit, Smokestick (2), Tanglefoot bag (2), Thunderstone (2). I need folks to roll perception checks in either the main room, the workshop, or the backroom. PLease clearly tell me which room you are searching and give me a roll.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-11-06 at 04:55 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101

SwashbucklerGuy

With Oreld looking slightly better, Grinner walks to the backroom to see what else could be found. "Lets make this quick and get out. I don't like leaving my children out there."

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20-1)[18]

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

As you open the door to the back room, you hear the sound of breaking glass, though no footsteps or other accompanying sounds, entering further you quickly deduce that a length of twine had been tied to the door latch, and upon opening it, a beaker had toppled from a high shelf splattering a journal that even now hiss and sputtered as an acrid odor assailed your nostrils.

OOC: Grinner, what do you do?
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-11-06 at 04:55 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Asdoukar

"Spread out and search! Quick!"

Asdoukar says as he relives the dead hobgoblin of its belongings. He then starts searching the main room.

Spoiler: OOC Perception
    Show

Perception (1d20+5)[11]

Edit: But of course a 6. Someone else should also search

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Dom does as he is asked and quickly searches the building for anything of use or value to the group.

Perception: (1d20+0)[7]

15. - Top - End - #105

DruidGuy

Magrem Borsk HP 12 of 9 / AC 17 (Shield) and Goremund the Boar HP 21 of 18 / AC 18

The tension in the shopkeeper’s hand dissipated once the javelin was removed from his side and his wounds clotted. A key falls from his grip and onto the floor. Magrem picks up the key and inspects it for a few seconds before Grinner heads into the backroom. Upon hearing the falling beaker and hissing of the acid, Magrem steps into the doorway of the backroom and conjures water to dilute the acid.

"Oreld had this key clutched in his hand. I’m guessing it has some importance as he had a death grip on it but I don’t know where the key hole is."

Upon seeing that Asdoukar is searching the main room and Grinner is searching the backroom, Magrem begins to search the workshop. Goremund follows Magrem into the workshop and relaxes in the center of the room.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Magrem casts create water to dilute the acid.

Perception check for searching the workshop: (1d20+7)[25]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Asdoukar searches the storefront, in a random & haphazard manner, he discovers a collection of alchemical supplies, each, clearly labelled in Oreld's fine handwriting, Bloodblock, Antiplauge, and such.

OOC: Alchemical healing salves & Ointments are worth 3 Provision points for ease of reference.
    Grinner reaches out with an arcane hand, trying to preserve the journal onto which the acid seeped, however shock and fatigue cause the journal to be knocked from the desk. In an attempt to clear it, he wraps his hand in a nearby towel and tries to remove the majority of the hissing, viscuous liquid. Though badly burned, he is able to make out a recipe of sorts, titled 'Stump Remover' a potent explosive mixed from alchemically refined lamp oil and animal dung.

OOC: Failing the Dex check in Discord, to save the book, Grinner takes 5 Acid damage. However, the recipe is intact.
    When Magrem walks into the workshop he quickly scans the room, noting two things, first there is an iron rung set beneath a desk, easily moved, and it appears to have thumping and murmurs beneath it. As if frightened villagers hiding from the invading Ironfangs, pulling it up reveals three humans, two women and a scholarly looking man, arms bearing some meager provisions, their faces stained in soot, sweat, and blood, "Thank you, thank you," they clamor as they move towards the storefront.

Once clear, Magrem notes a finely crafted cabinet with a brass keyhold, fitting the key that Oreld himself bore. Opening it reveals a well stocked alchemical lab, and clearly labelled ingredients, Refinded Oil, among them, tucked behind the bottles are two small envelopes tied together with twine, one labelled 'Glamor', the other 'Trackless', a cursory inspection reveals that they each contain an oddly scintillating powder. And finally a odiferous scent assails the room as soon as the cabinet was opened, the scent of dung emanating from a burlap sack in the bottom shelf.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-11-06 at 05:14 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107

SwashbucklerGuy

Grinner looks down at his acid covered hand, realizing that the pain was not registering as much as it should have. He was still in shock from the tragedy of the night. He nonchalantly wiped his hand clean as he began to peruse the journal.

"How about a stump remover bomb?" He called to his allies. "That should be able to take out the bridge." He knew that talking was distasteful right now, he wished deeply to be able to lose himself in the killing again, but withholding information would be deadly to everyone right now.

18. - Top - End - #108

DruidGuy

Magrem Borsk HP 12 of 9 / AC 15 (17 w/t shield) and Goremund the Boar HP 21 of 18 / AC 18

Magrem is repulsed upon smelling the dung and confused why it would be stored in such a fine cabinet containing valuable reagents and magical powder. He takes the two envelopes and heads to the backroom where Grinner called out.

"That might work but who knows on a day like this. There are a bunch of reagents in the cabinet. Does it say which ones we need? Oh…and hold onto this. It may come in handy if you need to make an escape with your children." Magrem hands Grinner an envelope labeled Trackless. He places the glamor envelop in his pouch.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

As Mogren & Grinner careful measure out portions, and pack fertilizer and refined oils into a small cask as per Oreld's alchemical receipe, Dominic keeps careful watch outside the small shop. The sounds of burning, screaming, looting and pillaging are beginning to subside, as the force of the Ironfang begins to quell the small town of Phaendar, the wind blows across the town still carrying ill scents, burning flesh, coppery blood, and the sweat stench of hobgoblin. It's then, that the young half-blood noted the rumblings of a wagon, drawn by two stout oxen. It turned the corner, driven by a grey-green skinned recruit, and a large, broad shouldered, broken nosed raider beside him, who carried a heavy crossbow. A cage with four village folk contained therein was balanced precariously on the rear of the wagon, and then another raider followed up, on foot, behind.

Some harsh thick, guttural goblinoid speech, and a few random hand gestures, but surely they had pointed to Oreld's? Dominic what do you do?

OOC: No real surprise round here, but only Dominic can act, then the Ironfang. There are three targets, Recruit (driving), Crossbow Raider (beside driver), Axe Raider (following wago). The entire group is about 20' from the building, and they have spotted activity they are concerned with, so are prepared for combat. Ironfang still in the wago have partial cover due to the height of the wagon and it's side boards. Dominic, you are up.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Dom. (Posting from phone, sorry)

Seeing the prisoners and knowing that his group has already earned the attention of the Ironfang, he springs into action.

Dom calls out to his companions, "All warriors on me!"

Greatsword held at the ready, Dom pushes the door all the way open and charges at the large hobgoblin holding the crossbow and slashes at him.

Attack:. (1d20+7)[17]
    Damage:(2d6+9)[11]

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Asdoukar
    HP:12 AC:16+2-4=14

Needing no second thought, Asdukar grimaces horribly and charges the raider, letting his rage flow through him

Spoiler: OOC Attack
    Show

Raging, Charging and PA
    Atk (1d20+8)[26] dmg [roll]2d6+11[/toll]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Round 1:

Dominic's orkish strength flows through him as his thick bladed greatsword cleaves through the side board, driving through armor and flesh as it cleaves deep into the Raider's thigh! A yelp of pain however, and the three Ironfang invaders begin to move as a well trained group, the driver quickly picks a long spear from the side of the cart as he hops down and moves around the oxen, driving it forward into Dominic's exposed flank. The raider in the cart, shuffles backwards a step, and levels his thick, heavy crossbow towards the young warrior, firing an functional black bolt forward. Whereas the second raider pulls battleaxe and shield, and rushes forward driving his shield into Dominic in an attempt to push him clear from the wagon.

OOC:
    Ironfang Recruit: Moves from Wagon and around Oxen [Readies Spear as part of move action]; Attacks Dominic: (1d20+4)[19] vs AC 14; 8 if successful.
    Ironfang Invader [Crossbow]: Guarded Step into space vacated by Recruit; Fire Crossbow; No Penalty as Recruit using reach Weapon; (1d20+5)[15]; if successful (1d10)[1]
    Ironfang Invader [Shield & Axe]: Charge & Bull Rush w/Improved Bullrush: (1d20+6)[8] vs CMD of 14 [16-2 Charge Penalty]; Dominic pushed 5' + 5' per for each Increment of 5 Atk exceeds CMD.

Ouch! A total of 9 damage to our young Paladin.
    The driver's scramble pays off as the long spear digs deep, sinking past armor and flesh into the ribs of the young warrior, while the crossow man backs off, unsteadied by Dominics savage assault, the shot only glances across his shoulder, scoring the armor and nicking his cheek. While the other raider raises his shield, but comes to a complete stop when his rush is deflected by the half orcs own shoulder.

Round 2:

Seeing an opportunity, the dwarven rager roars a battle cry and charges the unbalanced invader. The Ironfang raider lifts his shield to attempt to ward off fatal blow, but such is the dwarf's fury that the shield is cleaved in two, and the thick blade sinks deep into the Hobgoblins shoulder, biting through leather, flesh and bone. The dirty, grimey eyes of the prisoners can only look on in shock and horror as the hobgoblin collapses to the ground.

OOC: Asdroukar's Charge against Shield Invader provokes AoO from Recruit [Spear]; (1d20+4)[9] vs AC 14; if successful (1d8+1)[9]. A miss! And with the 18 damage taking the Hobbie to 1 HP, I'll rule massive damage and he's bleeding out. Heroes, other than Asdoukar, are up! However, in the Alchemy Lab, at least one of you needs to stay behind and finish the stump remover or you will need to start over from scratch.

Recruit [Long Spear] currently not threatened by either Asdoukar or Dominic, however, due to his reach he threatens both of them. 5-foot step will get you to him. Invader [Shield] is bleeding out. Invader [Crossbow] is opposite side of the wagon. Will need to circle around the wagon (doable with 30' of movement) or climb/jump up onto the wagon beside him. Climb (athleics) will provoke ... but he doesn't have a melee weapon so it won't. Jump up and retain balance will be Acro. Climb DC 10, Jump Up DC 12.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-11-09 at 06:08 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113

DruidGuy

Magrem Borsk HP 9 / AC 21 (Shield, Cover) and Goremund the Boar HP 18 / AC 18

"Grinner, stay here and finish the stump remover. We’ll take care of the troops."

Magrem readies his shield, moves to the doorway, and grunts in an increasing tone inciting Goremund to run out and gore the spearman with his tusks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magrem takes a move action to ready his shield and a standard action to move to the doorway and use the doorway as cover against the crossbowman. He uses a free action to call Goremund to attack the spear raider.

Handle Animal DC 10: [roll0]
    Goremund Attack: [roll1]
    Goremund Charge Damage: [roll2]
    Crit Confirmation (if needed): [roll3]
    Crit Damage: [roll4]

24. - Top - End - #114

SwashbucklerGuy

Grinner looks up at Magrem as he is suddenly left alone with the stump remover project, his choler boiling as he is suddenly unable to slay the hobgoblins that are so very close to him. He looks back to his book, nearly choosing to abandon the project in favor of creating more bloodshed.

Images of his children flash through his mind, playing on a tire swing, then reciting for a school play, and then helping Edgar with a science project. His rage began to become slightly more manageable despite his overwhelming grief and he began to sing one of the songs he would sing to his children. As the music came out of him, he was once again able to focus on the project at hand, using his own voice to tune out the combat going on outside.

Spoiler
    Show
    standard action: inspire courage +1 competence bonus to attack and damage
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2019-11-09 at 12:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Dominic "Dom" Tanner - 16 AC /13-9 = 4HP
    Dom grimaces in pain as the spear punches through his armor and into his side and is pulled back. He is also taken aback as he realizes that bolt, had it been a few inches to the right, would have ended him. He prepares to turn when a shield wielder barrels into. Knowing he is in a bad position, he sees no alternative than to attack.

The half-orc deftly maneuvers into range of the spear wielder and swings his greatsword, hoping to end him in on swing.

Attack: (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage: (2d6+8)[18]

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

A familiar sound wafted from the window of Olred's shop, and while it is whistled, all those outside the shop can remember the words, the lyrics, sung by young mother's to children nestled in their cribs;

Do you know how many children rise each morn' blithe and gay?

With a schuffle and a bleat, the boar, Goremund, rushed forward, causing the recruit to step back. Creating an opening for the young half blood warrior to exploit.
    Can you count their jolly voices, singing sweetly day by day?

Swinging his thick, broad blade in a deadly arc, it cut under the haft of the spear, sending the head of it up into the air where it spun catching the moonlight, reflecting the stars as they peeked through the clouds.
    God hears all the happy voices in their merry songs rejoices;

The Ironfang fell to his knees, a hand flying towards his neck, which, in truth, was but a ragged stump, as the creature's head tumbled to the dirt, rolling towards the young warriors feet.
    and he loves them every one, for their faith and their choices.

In shock, his unit destroyed by these, these, humans, the Invader, still atop the wagon, drew a sword from it's sheath, it's rasp cold and deadly on the night air. As he did so, his left hand drew a horn from his belt, brought it to his lips and blew, it's low, undulating call drowning out the tune that drifted from Grinner's throat, as it summoned the Legion to the invader's aid.

Round 3:

Hero's are up, climging up the wagon will provoke an attack of opportunity, Acrobatics will not. What do you do?
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-11-11 at 08:34 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Dominic "Dom" Tanner - 16 AC /13-9 = 4HP
    While he was briefly invigorated by the song going through his head, Dom's heart sinks when he hears the warhorn bellow. The half-orc runs to the other side of the wagon so he can attack the invader.

While doing so he yells to the group. "Everyone to the wagon, we have to leave, now! Put the injured in the back with those in the cages."

As he gets to the other side of the wagon, he tries to calm and steady himself, hoping his strike is true. However his fatigue, and blood loss seem to have finally caught us as his swing is wide and slow.

Attack: (1d20+7)[9]
    Damage: (2d6+8)[18]
    Last edited by The BBEG; 2019-11-11 at 09:12 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118

DruidGuy

Magrem Borsk HP 9 / AC 17 (Shield) and Goremund the Boar HP 18 / AC 18

The situation turns from grim to dire with the blowing of the horn. With this action, Magrem fears that his daughter will soon be an orphan. He readies his spear and hurls it at the horn blower.

Magrem turns to those inside. "Grab the remover and get onto the wagon. We have to go now."

Goremund picks up the severed hobgoblin head in his mouth and happily brings it to the doorway, setting it down beside Magrem’s boots.

Spoiler: Spear
    Show
    Magrem takes a 5’ step into the doorway, readies his shortspear (move action), and hurls it at the horn blower (standard action).

Thrown Shortspear Attack Roll (+1 insight, +1 inspire courage): (1d20+3)[10]
    Shortspear Damage Roll (+1 inspire courage): (1d6+4)[9]
    Crit Confirmation (if needed): (1d20+3)[8]
    Crit Damage: (1d6+4)[7]

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Asdoukar
    HP:12+2=14 AC:16+2-2=16

Heedless of the danger, still in the grips of his rage Asdoukar growls

"Start leaving. I will deal with this vermin alone"

He unhurriedly climbs up the wagon, heedless of any attacks coming his way and swings his sword grinning ear to ear

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Atk PA (1d20+6)[23] dmg (2d6+11)[17]

30. - Top - End - #120

SwashbucklerGuy

As the horn resounded, Grinner doubled down on his work. More would be coming and they would soon be chased out of town. The pressure to finish the stump remover rose but when he turned to the next page if the notes he saw that the process was complete.

"It's done!" Grinner yells as he begins to pack up the remover and all of the notes as quickly as he can. He runs outside, sword in one hand, stump remover tucked underneath the other while his whip was wrapped around his chest. He hoped to find another hobgoblin to kill, but arrived just in time to see Asdoukar tend the last one apart.

He begins to load up the wagon with everything.