The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Im have been racking my brain for a good idea for a cold damage melee cantrip like BB and GFB.

    The problem is most of the ones i have thought of or found dont seem usable or are already exist as cantrips

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by dragsaw View Post
    Im have been racking my brain for a good idea for a cold damage melee cantrip like BB and GFB.

    The problem is most of the ones i have thought of or found dont seem usable or are already exist as cantrips
    So you want it to be the same basic formula as BB and GFB? You can just change the damage type on those, otherwise it would be a damage+effect like Frostbite or Ray of Frost. Making a melee weapon version of this however would probably be overpowered as the conditions would likely be assured rather than situational like BB and GFB.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

    Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    So you want it to be the same basic formula as BB and GFB? You can just change the damage type on those, otherwise it would be a damage+effect like Frostbite or Ray of Frost. Making a melee weapon version of this however would probably be overpowered as the conditions would likely be assured rather than situational like BB and GFB.
    I think ideally it would be damage+effect, reskinning BB or GFB seems a little lame so i will like to avoid it if i can. I do agree just having frostbolt/frostbite on the end of a sword is also kinda OP

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Something I came up with awhile ago when looking into homebrewing BB/GFB style cantrips.


    Freezing strike
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 5ft
    Components: V M (A weapon)
    Duration: 1 round
    As part of casting the spell, make a melee attack. On hit shards of ice shatter around the target. This ice settles to the ground making the ground under the target and the surrounding terrain around the target difficult terrain. This ice melts at the beginning of the casters next turn.

    At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d6 cold damage, increasing an extra 1d6 at 11th and 17th level



    There are some others in here. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Frozen Weapon
    Transmutation Cantrip
    Casting Time: Bonus Action
    Range: Self
    Components: V, S
    Duration: 10 Minutes

    You condense and freeze water vapor into ice in your hand, forming a melee weapon of your choice which lasts for the duration of the spell or until you dismiss it as a bonus action.

    You can attack with this weapon normally. When you hit with this weapon you can choose to end the spell, causing the weapon to explode in a burst of cold, dealing 1d6 extra cold damage to the target of the attack.

    At higher level: At 5th level the extra damage increases to 2d6 cold damage. At 11th level it increases to 3d6 and at 17th level it increases to 4d6


    So right off the bat, this isn't a clone of Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade. For one thing, the weapon you create is fully compatible with the Attack Action.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2019-10-01 at 07:36 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    May 2014

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    Frozen Weapon
    Transmutation Cantrip
    Casting Time: Bonus Action
    Range: Self
    Components: V, S
    Duration: 10 Minutes

    You condense and freeze water vapor into ice in your hand, forming a melee weapon of your choice which lasts for the duration of the spell or until you dismiss it as a bonus action.

    You can attack with this weapon normally. When you hit with this weapon you can choose to end the spell, causing the weapon to explode in a burst of cold, dealing 1d6 extra cold damage to the target of the attack.

    At higher level: At 5th level the extra damage increases to 2d6 cold damage. At 11th level it increases to 3d6 and at 17th level it increases to 4d6


    So right off the bat, this isn't a clone of Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade. For one thing, the weapon you create is fully compatible with the Attack Action.
    Love this, definitely stealing it! I might suggest also that at 11th level it is also considered a magic weapon.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Where did you start yours?

    The PCs, walk into a town they've never before visited together, all the villagers stop & stare at them. The PCs realise why when they get to the fountain at the centre of town, there are accurate statues of each of them, even down to the gear they currently carry. The statues have been here for generations...

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomthom View Post
    Love this, definitely stealing it! I might suggest also that at 11th level it is also considered a magic weapon.
    I would think it would be a magic weapon by default, as it's created by a spell.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    SD
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    Frozen Weapon
    Transmutation Cantrip
    Casting Time: Bonus Action
    Range: Self
    Components: V, S
    Duration: 10 Minutes

    You condense and freeze water vapor into ice in your hand, forming a melee weapon of your choice which lasts for the duration of the spell or until you dismiss it as a bonus action.

    You can attack with this weapon normally. When you hit with this weapon you can choose to end the spell, causing the weapon to explode in a burst of cold, dealing 1d6 extra cold damage to the target of the attack.

    At higher level: At 5th level the extra damage increases to 2d6 cold damage. At 11th level it increases to 3d6 and at 17th level it increases to 4d6


    So right off the bat, this isn't a clone of Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade. For one thing, the weapon you create is fully compatible with the Attack Action.
    This would make an interesting throwing build.
    I like this but unsure of the balance.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    This would make an interesting throwing build.
    I like this but unsure of the balance.
    Might be better as either an Action to cast; or at least, changing it to +1d4 Cold damage.

    Particularly at lower levels, BA for 1d6 damage seems off. Iím less worried about the scaling in terms of balance. Doing, essentially, Short Sword damage as a BA with no independent save or attack roll needed, all day, isnít balanced, in my opinion. Not horribly broken, either, for the record.

    I canít think of any other BA cantrip, and this would be a straight improvement on the SCAG cantrips, and this kind of steps on the toes of Pact of the Blade (summon a magical weapon of any form as a BA, versus summon a magic weapon of any form as an Action).

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    SD
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by Rsp29a View Post
    Might be better as either an Action to cast; or at least, changing it to +1d4 Cold damage.

    Particularly at lower levels, BA for 1d6 damage seems off. Iím less worried about the scaling in terms of balance. Doing, essentially, Short Sword damage as a BA with no independent save or attack roll needed, all day, isnít balanced, in my opinion. Not horribly broken, either, for the record.

    I canít think of any other BA cantrip, and this would be a straight improvement on the SCAG cantrips, and this kind of steps on the toes of Pact of the Blade (summon a magical weapon of any form as a BA, versus summon a magic weapon of any form as an Action).
    Was my thinking as well. It's can better than shillelagh by making any melee weapon.

    I think you could keep the bonus damage the same but limit the weapon to a dagger and cut the duration to one minute. I'd add a save for the ice burst but I added saves for the Scag cantrips as well.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Stranger in the Playground Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    I rather like this cantrip, Damon_Tor. It has a great role-play potential, but is also unbalancing to game mechanics.

    It does step on the toes of the Blade Pact Warlock, replicating a class feature with better action economy and damage potential. It also somewhat diminishes the Bonded Weapons of the Eldritch Knight.

    The bonus action competition makes it a potentially questionable choice for a Rogue, though it would shine with a throwing build. The damage boost it would provide to a Sneak Attack may justify the bonus action cost.

    It feels very OP for Paladin use. Because it is not utilizing the Cast a Spell action, this would be a way to effectively pseudo-smite every round without spending spell slots. It also provides extra nova damage when you do smite. I can see a Levistus Tiefling Frost Giant Soul/Heroism Oath Sorcadin with an active Armor of Agathys just dominating over the rest of the party. Toss on a level of Hexblade for good measure, and you have an insane SAD melee monster.
    Forum Rules. If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    I'd say reskin Shocking Grasp. Make it the exact same, but deal cold damage. Unless you specifically wanted something with a weapon rather than just melee range.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    I rather like this cantrip, Damon_Tor. It has a great role-play potential, but is also unbalancing to game mechanics.

    It does step on the toes of the Blade Pact Warlock, replicating a class feature with better action economy and damage potential. It also somewhat diminishes the Bonded Weapons of the Eldritch Knight.

    The bonus action competition makes it a potentially questionable choice for a Rogue, though it would shine with a throwing build. The damage boost it would provide to a Sneak Attack may justify the bonus action cost.

    It feels very OP for Paladin use. Because it is not utilizing the Cast a Spell action, this would be a way to effectively pseudo-smite every round without spending spell slots. It also provides extra nova damage when you do smite. I can see a Levistus Tiefling Frost Giant Soul/Heroism Oath Sorcadin with an active Armor of Agathys just dominating over the rest of the party. Toss on a level of Hexblade for good measure, and you have an insane SAD melee monster.
    Whilst I think the cantrip could do with scaling back, giving an example that uses two unearthed arcana subclass and a third notoriously overpowered subclass isn't a very good picture of balance.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

    Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2018

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by dragsaw View Post
    Im have been racking my brain for a good idea for a cold damage melee cantrip like BB and GFB.

    The problem is most of the ones i have thought of or found dont seem usable or are already exist as cantrips
    Mele range cold on all.

    Let it go: 1d10+1d10n scaling, target drops weapon.

    Let it gooo: 0+1d8n scaling, requires attack, Target and player both half movement unless the cold doesn't bother them anyway.

    Let it goooooo: Minor Illusion, snowman.
    Last edited by Nhorianscum; 2019-10-01 at 07:56 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2018

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    How about a clone of BB with cold damage, except the rider is triggered if the target attacks someone other than you.

    Fluff it as the opponent is covered in sharp ice crystals. Shifting position to attack a creature other than you causes 1d8 cold damage. Cantrip scaling as normal.

    Itís something that sooooorta works with the fluff, and gives a tactical benefit that differs from both GFB and BB while still being valuable and in the same sort of general category.
    Last edited by BarneyBent; 2019-10-01 at 08:51 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Frozen Blade

    Evocation cantrip

    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 5 feet
    Components: V, M (a weapon)
    Duration: 1 round

    As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.

    On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in cold energy until the start of your next turn. If the target is hit with an attack other than you before then, it immediately takes an extra 1d8 cold damage, and the spell ends.

    At Higher Levels.
    At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for being hit from another attack increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2018

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Frozen Blade

    Evocation cantrip

    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 5 feet
    Components: V, M (a weapon)
    Duration: 1 round

    As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.

    On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in cold energy until the start of your next turn. If the target is hit with an attack other than you before then, it immediately takes an extra 1d8 cold damage, and the spell ends.

    At Higher Levels.
    At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for being hit from another attack increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.
    So extra damage just because your buddy gangs up on the target? At least Booming Blade gives the target the choice of not moving or taking extra damage. This doesn't give the target any choice at all and the activation for the extra damage is way too easy to trigger.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
    So extra damage just because your buddy gangs up on the target? At least Booming Blade gives the target the choice of not moving or taking extra damage. This doesn't give the target any choice at all and the activation for the extra damage is way too easy to trigger.


    Yeah I thought about that it's probably too easy to trigger. I've been sitting here trying to come up with something better.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2014

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    I made ones for this for each damage type. Al of them follow the same patterns of damage scaling, except the Necrotic one, which only does d4's.


    Fire - GFB, damage + secondary splash

    Thunder - BB, damage + movement rider

    Cold - Frost Blade, damage + -10 ft movement until EoT

    Lightning - Static Slash, Just damage but scales faster (+1d8 instead at 1st level)

    Poison - Envenoming Strike, damage + Poisoned condition until EoT (Con save)

    Force - Hideous Blow, damage + ignores resistances to weapon damage

    Radiant - Heavenly Strike, damage + Ability mod Temp HP, both scale up at same rate

    Necrotic - Draining Strike, +1d4 damage/self healing. Only does +1d4 damage when scaling

    Psychic - Ego Slice, damage + DisAdv on next attack until EoT


    Obviously a few of these look a bit stronger than BB/GFB, but in play they haven't broken the game.
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

    Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2018

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Yeah I thought about that it's probably too easy to trigger. I've been sitting here trying to come up with something better.
    I suggested above the trigger occurring if the target attacks someone other than you. Though on reflection it might be better if itís triggered if the target attacks you, since generally arcane casters arenít tanks. Sorcadins would love it though.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2018

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBent View Post
    I suggested above the trigger occurring if the target attacks someone other than you. Though on reflection it might be better if itís triggered if the target attacks you, since generally arcane casters arenít tanks. Sorcadins would love it though.
    What if the secondary damage triggers if the target doesn't move before the end of their next turn. That is, if they don't get out of the cold.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2018

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
    What if the secondary damage triggers if the target doesn't move before the end of their next turn. That is, if they don't get out of the cold.
    Then you get essentially free opportunity attacks. A character could take this cantrip, BB and Warcaster and would be basically unstoppable.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2018

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBent View Post
    Then you get essentially free opportunity attacks. A character could take this cantrip, BB and Warcaster and would be basically unstoppable.
    True enough.

    Oh well.

    It's not as though I allow anything from SCAG in my games anyway, so I probably shouldn't bother to give feedback on stuff built from it.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Iíve been trying to come up with additional melee cantrips as well. I was toying around with one for acid called Corrosive Blade. While we only have the two examples set for us, it does kind of provide a framework for creating others. The rider on Booming Blade is the easiest to replicate, because it gives a pretty clearly defined condition that is triggered if the target does something in particular (i.e. moving).

    So for Freezing Blade, Iíd essentially copy the formula for Booming Blade, but the condition for triggering the rider would be something other than moving. Maybe something like ďif the target uses a reaction before the start of your next turn.Ē That way they can choose a temporary limitation to avoid the damage.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Freezing Blade

    Evocation cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 5 feet
    Components: V, M (a weapon)

    Duration: 1 round

    As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spellís range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attackís normal effects, and you becomes surrounded by a chilling mist. Until your next turn, if a creature moves within 5ft of you, they takes 1d8 cold damage, and the spell ends.

    This spellís damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target, and the damage a creature takes for the mist increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.


    Static Strike

    Evocation cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 5 feet
    Components: V, M (a weapon)

    Duration: 1 round

    As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spellís range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attackís normal effects, and it becomes statically charged until the start of your next turn. If the target takes an opportunity attack the charge is released and deal 1d8 lightning damage to the target, and the spell ends.

    This spellís damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 lightning damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for statically charged increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.


    Corrosive Blade

    Evocation cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 5 feet
    Components: V, M (a weapon)

    Duration: 1 round

    As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spellís range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attackís normal effects, and corrosive bubbles appear on your weapon until the start of your next turn. If the target hits you with a melee attack, they take 1d8 acid damage, and the spell ends.

    This spellís damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 acid damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for corrosive bubbles increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2019-10-02 at 12:22 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Your Mind!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    I liked where CTurbo was going with helping others on the team, so here is my thought (copied much of CTurbo's):

    Frozen Blade

    Evocation Cantrip

    Casting Time: 1 Action
    Range: 5 Feet
    Components: V, M (a weapon)
    Duration: 1 Round

    As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.

    On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in cold energy until the start of your next turn, during which the target's AC is lowered by your proficiency bonus until that creature is hit by an attack that targets its AC.

    At Higher Levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target. The cold damage increases an extra 1d8 at 11th and 17th level.
    From Psychonauts -
    Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Something I came up with awhile ago when looking into homebrewing BB/GFB style cantrips.


    Freezing strike
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 5ft
    Components: V M (A weapon)
    Duration: 1 round
    As part of casting the spell, make a melee attack. On hit shards of ice shatter around the target. This ice settles to the ground making the ground under the target and the surrounding terrain around the target difficult terrain. This ice melts at the beginning of the casters next turn.

    At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d6 cold damage, increasing an extra 1d6 at 11th and 17th level



    There are some others in here. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    I'm taking it but changing it to create a frozen ammunition that can be fired from a ranged weapon. Change it a bit then make it 1st lv spell. So I'm just taking the idea.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Sleet Slap:

    1 Action

    An ice shell coats your melee weapon and explodes outwards in a 15 foot line pelting your enemy and those who would hide behind them. After the bits of ice hit, they fall to the ground creating difficult terrain until the start of your next turn.

    So how I'd do damage would be 1d4 bludgeoning, 1d4 cold to the melee target. 1d4 cold to whoever is behind your target for the next 10 feet.

    Increase damage like you would for any other cantrip.

    The added effect of 15 foot difficult terrain for a round is why I wouldn't give it much in the way of damage.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cleveland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    Quote Originally Posted by Goggalor View Post
    I liked where CTurbo was going with helping others on the team, so here is my thought (copied much of CTurbo's):

    Frozen Blade

    Evocation Cantrip

    Casting Time: 1 Action
    Range: 5 Feet
    Components: V, M (a weapon)
    Duration: 1 Round

    As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.

    On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in cold energy until the start of your next turn, during which the target's AC is lowered by your proficiency bonus until that creature is hit by an attack that targets its AC.

    At Higher Levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target. The cold damage increases an extra 1d8 at 11th and 17th level.
    This seems fine at low levels, but overpowered as hell at higher levels. I'd cap the AC penalty at -2 and reduce damage to 1d4 scaling.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Purgatory
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

    How about we make it simple.

    Elemental strike
    1 bonus action
    Component: m(weapon)
    When you cast this spell you create a weapon of your choice in your hand that deals damage of an element you choose. If this element is radiant, force, or psychic the weapon deals damage as one die size smaller to a minimum of 1d4

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •