The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Figuring out construction costs

Howdy folks,

I was wondering... is it mentioned in any books how much it costs to have buildings constructed? My players are going to be gifted an old dilapidated keep that will be restored for them as a reward from some deeds they did (there's a big ceremony being prepped). The first thing they all started discussing was getting additions built, like stables and barracks. What kind of cost would that stuff have? It'll be discounted thanks to their connections, but I don't even know what a fair ballpark value would be for this kind of thing.
    D20 Modern Complete HTML SRD
    (Contains D20 Modern (core), Urban Arcana, d20 Future and d20 Modern Menace Manual -> In a fun format)

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Figuring out construction costs

I think that there is a table in the dms guide...
    Current characters:
    Drakirr (Blue Dragonborn Warlock)
    Alyfyldyr Hyalythki (Rock Gnome Wizard)
    Harilidir (Half-elf Bard)
    Kazaharad Akaztkl (Goliath Barbarian)
    Luft (air-genasi druid)
    And of course Lizard Wizard (Lizardfolk Sorcerer)

3. - Top - End - #3

Ah, so page 128 of the DMG has flat costs for various buildings. I can use that to get an estimate cost of "additions". The whole thing is somewhere between a keep and a fortified tower. Stables look like they would be pretty inexpensive!
    D20 Modern Complete HTML SRD
    (Contains D20 Modern (core), Urban Arcana, d20 Future and d20 Modern Menace Manual -> In a fun format)

4. - Top - End - #4

If you can find/access a copy, the old 1e DMG had a very detailed list of castle construction components and costs. Like how much for a murder hole and how much for a crennel, etc. You might find it useful or interesting if you want to get into the weeds.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

The DMG has rules for building an Abbey, Guildhall (town or city), Keep or small castle, Noble estate with manor, Outpost or fort, Palace or large castle, Temple, Tower (fortified), and a Trading post. It also has maintenance costs for those as well as a Farm, Inn, Hunting lodge, and Shop, as well as splitting up costs for large and small temples. Trading post probably doubles up construction cost with an inn, since they require similar levels of space. The small temple seems appropriate for one constructed using Temple of the Gods, or a generic small building repurposed for it. We are definitely missing rules for building small buildings like family homes, hunting lodges, and shops.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

There is a pretty big 5th edition supplement that came out last December called "Strongholds and Followers" which is like $20 or something and goes through a whole series of building small to large domains/castles/keeps/towers depending on what you want and your class, etc.

Not for everyone but it's a good read.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If a month's pay is 60gp, and buying a house is 100 times more, then I'd say a house costs 6.000gp. Maybe 4.500 at best. A small sturdy hut, with a living space and a small bedroom, could probably be constructed for 2000gp.

You could say 1000gp for the foundation and roof, and an additional 500gp per room the players decide to add. If no fondation is needed, you could probably make a roof and four walls for 5-800gp.

How many full paychecks is a house worth in your country?

It doesn't have to be accurate, it just has to be consistent and reasonable. What better way to portray reason to your players than use what they are familiar with? That's why I draw inspiration from my own country's current economy.

I don't recommend discounting stuff, since it doesn't help your players developing a sense of the economy and the value of gold and property. I know there isn't much difference between a 3000gp discount and getting a 3000gp gift card, but in the long run it helps. The sooner your players get a sense of the value of gold and the economy of your game the sooner they will find confidence and freedom using it.
    Last edited by Bjarkmundur; 2019-10-02 at 05:05 PM.

Spoiler: How to Make Custom Monsters
    Show

The damage column shows total damage output on hit over an entire round, and is modified based on factors like recharge, AoE etc.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Depends. Is this a union town?

Charge by the (5') square per usage type, ie. a minimal rate per square of basic or open buildings (stables, latrines), a medium rate per square of living spaces (bed chambers, dining halls), and a premium rate per square of utility construction (kitchen, smithy). Fortifications have a low rate per square times a height factor. Charge extra to have the roof put on a multi-story building. Then, really squeeze their wallets for things like toilet seats and torch holders. Oh, you wanted a window? That'll be a change order.