The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default *re-recruiting* Defenestration [Risus]

Your mission: to murder the king.

Your situation: ready to act.

The setting: the Giant's New World.

Post interest in this thread, with a short writing sample.

Spoiler: Your character: one of these
    Show

Spoiler: Herlinde
    Show

Background
    Herlinde (Herli for her friends) is an older woman, but still fit as a fiddle. She might just be old enough to remember the last years of King Garrick's reign from her childhood. Her father was a travelling merchant from Riversend who fell in love with a Stahlmen miner's daughter.

She basically grew up on horseback and remembers her parents praising King Royce for favouring peace over conquest, riding undisturbed from city to countryside, through mysterious forests, bucolic valleys and rugged mountains, the horizon always beckoning. Of course, travelling with valuable merchandise isn't always safe, so she learned to shoot and to aim - after all, you often don't get a second chance. Becoming a bounty hunter just grew naturally out of her itinerant lifestyle and her love for the Thrannish Empire.

Now, everything has gone haywire: there are border checks wherever you go and most of her contacts and friends would consider each other enemies. She has no idea where her loyalties should lie, but one thing is certain: Royce's decision to split up the empire was a cowardly act of betrayal to the people.

Clichés
    Herlinde thinks of herself as a Deadeye Bounty Hunter with Good Manners (4). Despite her manners, she also has a bit of an attitude which stems from her age and experience: "I've been playin' this game since before the Empire was split." (4) (I couldn't think of anything more concise). Finally, she Cooks a Mean Vindaloo (2) - a recipe she got from an old Dhartan woman who she helped to track down a childhood friend.

Suntouched - she's the type to get up at the crack of dawn and have everything packed and ready to go before anyone else has finished their coffee. Recovers lost dice at sunrise.

Spoiler: Alfred the gold
    Show
    The third son of minor Thrans nobility, at a young age Alfred was given over to the church of the moon, where he soaked in history, theology and writing amidst other scholarly arts, he was dedicated and driven, but time after time the gnomes around him ascended just a tad easier and enjoyed knowledge and privileges he couldn't after a while leaving with a few "borrowed" texts to barter away and a drive to learn far from the controlling shackles of the hierarchy.

Cliches: Illicit binder 4, well connected middle man 3, wizened scholar 3.

Moontouched - like all disciples of the Moon. Recovers lost dice at moonrise.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-10-20 at 11:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: *re-recruiting* Defenestration [Risus]

I am interested, although I would like to ask about the writing sample. Is that something from the perspective of the character, or a story involving them, or something else?
    Last edited by flyinglemur; 2019-10-02 at 08:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flyinglemur View Post
    I am interested, although I would like to ask about the writing sample. Is that something from the perspective of the character, or a story involving them, or something else?
    Brief paragraph describing something that happened involving the character.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

@flyinglemur: Which character are you interested in?

@Tibbus: What's "illicit binder" supposed to mean exactly? Is this a setting thing? (It's been a long time since I read those New World articles. Will re-read it soon.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    @Tibbus: What's "illicit binder" supposed to mean exactly? Is this a setting thing? (It's been a long time since I read those New World articles. Will re-read it soon.)
    The articles are not rigid canon for this game, more like a strong inspiration.

I think what the original player meant by "illicit" was, not authorized nor regulated by the gnomic churches.

6. - Top - End - #6

GreenSorcererElf

I'm most interested in Alfred the Gold, still gotta finish that paragraph.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I am honestly not sure I can capture Herlinde. That character seems to have a very specific voice I'm not confident I could nail.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I am honestly not sure I can capture Herlinde. That character seems to have a very specific voice I'm not confident I could nail.
    I know. It's a shame her player chose to drop out.

So we have two competitors for Alfred the Gold. He's leading the way to shut down the magical defenses. Each of you narrate in this thread how he'll do it, then I'll pick who plays him. Let's have a deadline of tomorrow at noon.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Oh no, if it's a choice between the two of us please let flyinglemur play.

10. - Top - End - #10

GreenSorcererElf

I've got my narrative.

Alfred scans the crowd, he needs some way to get them all focused on something else so he can climb up the tower. “I need something that will really take up their time, something they care about deeply,” he thinks and a flash of inspiration hits him, his worthless theological training might finally be useful for more than distracting the masses. He approaches the sun priest, who by the looks of it is still new, probably a favorite of some important bishop who sent him here to build up his reputation. “Let’s see if he’s cut out for this job,” thinks Alfred.

“Good day to you, fine priest of our radiant sister church. I’m pleased to see that they have deemed this event important enough to send such a respectable representative,” says Alfred. The blushing gnome quickly replies, “Thank you very much, I’m glad to be here and to see that Moon Tower is becoming quite prosperous.” Alfred follows up, ”Your appearance here is especially timely, since I have been pondering a question that has plagued my church for ages, and I’d like to find out how a sun priest would answer. What is the meaning of an eclipse?”

The gnome gives a well rehearsed answer, “Eclipses are a sign of the balance between the sun and moon. The Gods rule separate parts of the day and separate spheres of life, so the people may become confused at times and think them opposed or unequal. An eclipse is the union of the sun and moon, and so reminds the people that the two do not fight over night and day, but simply divide up time evenly as they see fit.”

Alfred has heard this argument before, and knows exactly what to say next. “Your response is clever, however, it doesn’t take into account the fact that lunar eclipses happen far more often than solar ones. That’s an imbalance, and certainly that can’t be the right lesson for the masses to learn. Furthermore, why are total solar eclipses so short and so rare. That doesn’t seem balanced at all. So then, how does your theory stand against that evidence.”

The gnome tries to speak up, but one of the moon priests forcefully steps into the conversation, “A total eclipse is a message of doom not balance, it shows the displeasure of the two at mortal sin.” Another priest hears this and starts correcting him, “No, no, no. A partial eclipse shows judgment due to its incompleteness. A total ecl-“, before he’s cut off by a noble who’s eager to show off his literacy, “Well Cantionus said that eclipses are really…”. Soon the whole room is embroiled in the argument, and countless theories, quotes, and opinions are launched and rebuffed. No one is willing to cede any rhetorical ground. Alfred and Shayala quietly move upstairs as the old church numpties fall into the tar pit of debate. Now Alfred can work on breaking the enchantments of the tower without issue.

This would be using wizened scholar.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

ok flyinglemur, please copy and paste that to the game thread. Excellent work and I can see I will need to keep my game up to match your abilities.

TN 5 - hard for a chump, easy for a professional.

Please make your roll inline with your post, thusly "rollv=wizened scholar v TN 5"3d6"/rollv"

except with brackets instead of quotes
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-10-04 at 07:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Still looking for another player, if anyone's interested in taking Herlinde.