New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Homebrew Psionic stuff (bashed from the Mystic): Talent/Cantrip [PEACH]

So I've recently been working on a project for my home campaign that is really just bashing out the Mystic into two separate classes, and turning psionics into "Magic, but slightly different" as a system (No more disciplines as the Mystic has them, just single powers from within them, for example). I'm like 60% of the way through this and have gotten my way down to Talents (Cantrips), and I'm looking for PEACH on two in particular (at least for right now):

-----
    Crystalline Claws
    Talent transmutation

Casting Time: 1 bonus action
    Range: Self
    Psi Point Cost: 0
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Subtle: No

Long claws made of crystal erupt from your wrist for an instant. Make a melee attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 slashing damage. You don’t add your ability modifier to the damage of the attack, unless that modifier is negative. After you make the attack, the claws disappear.

At higher levels: This talent’s damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).
    -----

So for the above, it's basically Bestial Claws turned into a cantrip, with some better descriptive language, and that's about it. I don't feel that it's in line with other cantrips, considering the bonus action and damage die.

My current thoughts are threefold:
    • Full action, melee attack, d10 or d12 slashing.
    • Full action, melee spell attack, d8 psychic.
    • Bonus action, melee spell attack, d4 slashing.

But, I'm happy to hear other thoughts anybody might have, or thoughts on the above options.

-----
    Whelm
    Talent evocation

Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 5 feet
    Psi Point Cost: 0
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Subtle: Yes

As an action, you create a maelstrom of emotions momentarily in the minds of all creatures surrounding you.
    Each creature within range, other than you, must succeed on an Intelligence saving throw or take 1d4 pyschic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.

At higher levels: This talent's damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 5th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 17th level (4d4).
    -----

This is basically a mashup of Vicious Mockery and Sword Burst. I don't feel that this is in line with other cantrips either, but I'm not sure what it needs to not make it so niche. Larger damage die? More range? Additional or different effect/condition? Any feedback would be appreciated.

So, I've not really gone into a lot of detail of the classes themselves, as that isn't really the focus of this PEACH request... but if you need to know any additional details to actually give informed feedback I'd be more than happy to answer any questions.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew Psionic stuff (bashed from the Mystic): Talent/Cantrip [PEACH]

Does the first talent require you to spend your action to attack with the claws, or is the attack made as part of the bonus action?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Homebrew Psionic stuff (bashed from the Mystic): Talent/Cantrip [PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Does the first talent require you to spend your action to attack with the claws, or is the attack made as part of the bonus action?
    Ah, good point, clarity lost in changes going back and forth between having it be an action or bonus action.

In answer, the attack would be part of the same action as the spell (either bonus or normal, depending on the version), similar to either Primal Savagery or Booming Blade(ish).

4. - Top - End - #4

Bonus action damage cantrip is an OP concept.

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Which I agree with to the greater extent. Bonus action is really just an artifact from converting Bestial Claws to a talent/cantrip, but I left the d4 slashing as an option as an "Am I overworrying?" kind of way.

That said, changing it to an action, what do you feel is the better choice between "d10/d12 slashing" and "d8 psychic"?

6. - Top - End - #6

Given the fluff? 1d12 slashing per tier.

Show
    Show

Show