New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 167 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560110 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5E] Heretic's Bane Icewind Dale

After resting to prepare the spells to go over the spoils from the battle, Arman and Arum go to the warehouse barracks for the Forgemark and take over the mess area and begin the arduous identification process. Duervar and Hjalmar had brought everything and laid it all out for examination. The two had spent a couple of hours cleaning the armor and weapons up particularly, bring it up to nearly passable condition after its abused treatment by their foes. Much of the equipment was also quite bloody; the armor from their former wearers and the weapons from the party themselves. Tolrin has also joined the gathering, evidently curious about what they had taken but otherwise wearing a somber, troubled face. He is dressed in his well worn brown earthsilk fatigues commonly worn by Forgemark soldiers under their armor. Tolrin is otherwise wearing his fine winter wolf fur coat and has a drink in hand. That is actually a rather uncommon site, for Tolrin at least. The barracks is otherwise full of other dwarves, either sleeping, cleaning equipment or sitting by the fire pits playing dice poker. Before Arum and Arman start, Tolrin steps forward and addresses the group, drink in hand.

“Lads, I’ll spare ye the speech ye no doubt wish to be spared. I’m far too… too well, deep in my cups tonight to manage that and ye prolly heard me rant enough in the field or that da-damned council meeting today.

I gots two things to say though… firstly, at sunset I’ll be lead’n prayers and we’ll be hav’n a bit o’celebration and dedication to Clangeddin come morn’n. Lots to drink, we’ll be burnin’ them heads as offerings and o’course the Silver Order ‘nd Valkyrie lasses be here as well. I hear one’s been ask’n about ye, Arum.” Tolrin says mischievously and winks. “After that, ‘round midnight, I need ye to all go outside o’town and meet some reinforcements com’n from Barakbar bringing supplies we’re gonna need. Be ready to move out ‘rom there. Bring the big gear too…

That be it fer right now, so… get at it, ye two. Lemme know if ye need any help. Also Bundok, I took the liberty of giv’n that mithril chain ye got off that ogre mage over to the smiths with us and they turned ‘hat into a decent set o’mithril chainmail for ye. Yer a crazy son of a worg so I owed ye that, I thought. Hate to waste good mithril! May want to grab yerself an axe too for next time ye need to lop off a head, eh? Also, threw in a couple things o’my own as thanks into the pile.” Tolrin finishes, his words a bit slurred from alcohol and exhaustion. He plainly has not slept and goes over to plop down into a chair to observe. Duervar stands over by him, protectively.

Arman and Arum take the list they have made and inform the group regarding of what they have learned about the recovered equipment. While much of its too large for their own use, it may still have value so that was examined as well.

3 x MW Shortswords
    1 x Shortsword +1
    2 x MW Battleaxes
    1 x Magic Mace +1
    3 x Magic Rings (2 x Ring of Protection +1, 1 Ring of Shielding +1 – Provides a +1 Shield AC if not using a shield)
    1 x Robe of Battle (+1 AC – counts as padded armor without penalty, +1 saves)
    1 x Magic Cloak (Cape of Winter +1 Universal Saves, 1 DR (Cold)
    1 x Magic Amulet (Amulet of Natural Armor)

4 x Scrolls (stinking cloud, mage armor, summon monster III and glitterdust)
    8 x Cure Medium Wounds potions
    3 x Cure Critical Wounds potions

1 x Magic Amulet (Amulet of Shielding – Magic Missile Immunity) (from Tolrin)
    1 x Bracers of Ogre Power +2 Str (from Tolrin)
    1 x Mithril Chainmail +1 (from Tolrin)

24 x Thunderstones
    7 x Tanglefoot bags
    7 x Caltrops bags
    4 x Gems (500 gp each)
    1 x Spellbook (Will send PM with spell info)
    1 x Wand (Ice Knife lvl 3 caster/20 charges)

1 x MW Large Breastplate
    4 x Large Chainmail
    1 x Large Greatsword +1
    3 x Large Greataxes +1
    50 feet of hemp rope

Approx 6000 in gold coins or equivalents

Sort out distribution amongst yourselves now, lads!

PS - Please include links to your character sheets for me in your next posts.
    Last edited by mshady; 2008-02-20 at 08:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Arum nods to Tolrin as he finishes, then turns to the rest of the group. "Right, business first, party later. We now know what we have, now we must decide what to do with it." He says as pulls out the spellbook, as well as the scrolls of glitterdust and summon monster III. "I want these, if noone else objects." He puts those off to the side and begins to talk again. "As I see it, the most logical way to do this is for each person to take the things that would be useful to them, and we will have the best hagglers among us sell the rest and split the gold evenly after the fact. The healing potions can either be split as evenly as possible among us, or be carried by those that can cast healing spells to help them preserve their spells."

Arum:http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=1556
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Raltise strides into the room, carrying his bow, as well as his quiver, loosely in his hands. His armour has been polished to an almost mirror-like shine; painted on his right shoulder is a silver arrow, pointing down towards his hand.

The archer walks up to the table, and sets his bow and quiver down. "Anyone who needs it, take it. Or sell it, I don't care. I don't need it anymore." He sits down, lounging in a chair as he looks over across the table. "...If there are no objections, I think I'd like to take those thunderstones, as well as the tanglefoot bags and caltrops. I'm faster than the rest of you, and I'm used to fighting at long range, so I can make the best use of them."

Something seems oddly different about him today. He seems more confident with himself, more at ease. Also, his eyes, which often glow faintly, are currently glowing a faint silver, matching that new design on his shoulder.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2008-02-21 at 04:15 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Bundok

Bundok had poked at a couple of the items, nothing seeming to jump out at him. His eyes lit up when Tolrin brought in the altered mithril chainmail. Propping his staff on the wall, he took the armor up in his dirty hands and admired the material's quality. The entire suit of chainmail armor weighed less than the shirt of chain armor he normally wore.

Clapping his fist to his breast, he thanked the priest,

"Me thanks t'ye Tolrin. This be more'n a dwarf could ask...a small fortune by itself."

Gently putting the armor down, Bundok slipped the chain shirt over his head and began donning the chainmail armor. He marveled at the flexibility of the lightweight metal.

Moving over to the pile, he picked up one of the battleaxes and brought it over to his pack,

"Not a bad idear on th' axe. I'm 'appy with what I've got 'ere, but if no one else wants tha rings or that amulet that makes ye 'arder to 'it, I wouldnt mind one of those also."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

"Ye deserve it, lad. I'm still try'n to figure out if yer crazy or brave." Tolrin chuckles. "Chargin a giant, by yerself, with a staff after ye kill an ogre mage? Helluva thing." Tolrin laughs again.

"Ye may wanna grab a ring or somethin' to protect ye better too. Don't let that armor deter ye, outside o'smith'n it was't gonna be of use to anyone, anyhow. Good bit o'mithril left, have to figure out someth'n to do with it. That big, blue, ogre had that shielding ring on it. Anyways, the armor's good, but it can be a wee bit better if a smith has a few days to fit it out 'nd such. Was a quick job, eh? The rest o'that stuff'll be goin' to the minotaurs that'll be arriv'n soon."

Tolrin says and takes a drink from his bottle and leans back into his chair once again and watches Raltise add his longbow to the pile. Taking another swig from his bottle, he watches the unusual man.

"Ralty, ye ain't gonna need yer bow? Ye quitt'n on me before we make the Dales or just lost yer mind, lad? Yer gonna need weapons where yer going next."
    Last edited by mshady; 2008-02-22 at 01:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276

WolfInSheepsClothing

Magnum

While others might wake up groggy after the quantity of alcohol Magnum consumed he woke cheerful and ready for the day. He spent an hour praying to Clangeddin both thanking him for the strength to get through the trials so far and asking him to continue to support him and his companions endeavours.

After this he heads down to join the rest for breakfast. He admires the new set of armor Bundok recieves and respond to Tolrin's comment by saying, "I'm thinking he's a good share o' both, if ye ask me." Magnum spends quite a while looking over all the loot before grabbing a ring (protection) and a healing potion (critical). "Can't quite make one teh this strength yet. I have plenty me'self so make sure ya split up the rest of these" He eyes the bracers a good bit before deciding to himself that they are better of in someone elses hands but he does go back to look at them a few times as he peruses.
    Last edited by bchilders; 2008-02-22 at 12:56 AM.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Lithe follows Raltise up to the table with all the recovered loot and looks around herself. Seeing the shiny gems on the table, she stares at them in an almost trance like state. Her hand darts out quickly and grabs a gleaming emerald off the table before anyone has a chance to react. Emerald in hand, she rushes to push the gemstone into her mouth, like a child who had just found their favorite candy. After swallowing the gem, she turns out gives Raltise a beaming smile.

"Raltise... yer rock runt just ate a gem worth 'lmost a thousand gold! Mind tell'n it nay to eat off the table?" Hjalmar says, the only one able to compose a reply as others look on in surprise.

Lithe looks back at the rest of the silent party, surprised at the response. Her thoughts echo into Raltise's mind, questioning the reaction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Why are they angry? I thought everyone got something? I was hungry, Raltise... Only cold dirt to eat here.
    Last edited by mshady; 2008-02-22 at 01:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278

WolfInSheepsClothing

Magnum

Magnum roars with laughter as the elemental eats a gem. Between his fits he manages to say, "It's only fair the little bugger gets 'is share too...but boy does he 'ave expensive taste."
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Raltise tilts his head to one side, then grins at Tolrin. "Mm? Oh, don't worry. I just don't much see the point of carrying a weapon when I am a-"

And then, Lythe eats an emerald! Ralts gives her a bemused look for a while, then bursts out laughing!

Spoiler
    Show
    They're mad because that was worth a lot of money... but it's fine, you deserved it. I'll get you something else good to eat later, okay?

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #280

GnomeWizardGuy

Arum begins laughing at Lythe to. "Don't worry about the emerald, she deserved it, and we have plenty of other loot."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kelith

Kelith shrugs as the emerald is eaten. "Just gonna need to remember to hide any gems you want to keep." With that, he walks up to the pile of loot and takes a Ring of Protection, putting it on his right ring finger. "This should be all I need... I'll pass on the gauntlets." He adds after seeing Magnum continuing to glance at them.

{{http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=1547}}
    "The forest is a dangerous place to those who don't know its secrets, your in luck though because i know them" -Tharar Greenleaf, Ranger, to my weekly D&D group

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

"Oi, yer all pick'n at that table like a buncha elderly hin!"

Tolrin takes a swig from his bottle again and stands, tottering a bit. He weaves up towards the table and looks over the pile. Reaching down, he grabs the goblin mage's robes and holds them up.

"Lets move 'hings along, we got some heads to roast! As fer the obvious, that goblin's robes should go to Arum unless one o'ye planned on wear'n it as an apron. It's a nice dark grey and black for ye lad. Won't show the stains next time yer rummagin' through a gian't chest, it'll nay stain as much."

Tolrin pushes the robes towards Arum and reaches for the last ring.

"Bundok, ye take this last ring. See'n as yer way too far to the front as it is..."

Tolrin flips the ring of shielding +1 to Bundok.

"Now as fer this armor amulet, what about ye Hjalmar? Duervar?" Tolrin asks.

The two look at each other.

"No. Tainted. Just the gold, aye?" Hjalmar says, who returns to watching the proceedings with a bored look. Tolrin gives him a confused look and shrugs.

"Have 'ne already, thank ye Lord Tolrin." Duervar says, and says no more.

"What about ye, Magnum? Or ye Raltise?" Tolrin asks and waits for a reply.

"Arum's already called 'he spell book, but I suggest both ye and Arman look that one over for anything ye don't know. Course, 'ts a hedge wizard's scratching so don't kill yerselves... Same goes fer the scrolls.

But what 'bout that wand, ye two? Only two 'ho can use it. Clever spell on that one, at least..."

"Ralts, what 'bout this other amulet? Gives ye some protection 'gainst magicked missile spells. Interest to ye?"

Tolrin looks at Raltise for a response while keeping an eye on Lithe to make sure he doesn't eat anything else.

"Anyone else interested 'n any o'the weapons up here? Swords, a nice mace maybe? What 'bout those gauntlets? Gold I assume yer just gonna split up?"

13. - Top - End - #283

GnomeWizardGuy

Arum takes the robes handed to him and puts them on immediatly. He nods to Torlin. "Of course I will be sharing with him, if that last battle was any indication, we are going to need everything we can get in order to survive." He says, then continues on. "If noone else wants that amulet, I could certainly use them, some of those goblins got annoyingly friendly during that last battle, but it would be more use on one of the front line fighters." He turns to face Tolrin directly. "How much mithril is left? I have no doubts Scree would appreciate some barding, maybe a breastplate or a shirt of chain that could fit over her wings." He asks, then looks over his quickrazor. "and this is quite heavy for me.

14. - Top - End - #284

WolfInSheepsClothing

Magnum

"I'll pass on the amulet, I think I'm good fer now. Already 'ard enough to hit. If no one else wants those guantlets I'd love to have 'em. I ken always use hittin a bit harder."

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone else wants the gauntlets feel free...I'll only pick them up if their is no interest
    Last edited by bchilders; 2008-02-24 at 12:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Tolrin looks at Arum, momentarily confused.

"Who in the Hells is Scree? I ain't seen no one around here with wings? Ye referr'n to yer bird cause I nay 'hink mithril is that light No, we have 10 lbs of mithril left. So aye... what to do with it?

We'd need five more pounds o'it to make a nice breastplate out of it or ten pounds fer chainmail. Need fifteen or twenty more fer plate armor, 'lough that'd take some doing to get made. I reckon there's enough fer a chain shirt for Lithe, but nay sure she can tunnel with it on. Hmmm. Them Aurilites must 'ave access to a vein o'it somewhere, bet ye come across a bit more."
    Tolrin scratches his chin in thought.

"It wouldn't take more than 2 1/2 pounds to make a buckler outta it or 1 1/2 fer the gnome if he can bear the weight. Wouldn't really hinder yer casting either." Tolrin snickers at that, although not meanly.

"Other 'han that ye could make weapons outta it, from a mithril staff to axes, gnome knives or a damn fine set o'dinner plates. Or a damn fine mechanical short or long bow. Course, ye could also be used as a reagent if we have the time to make something. Prolly twice to thrice the power o'that armor amulet here." Tolrin shrugs. "Figure that out 'mongst yerselves. Believe me, I'm fine", he smiles and continues.

"So, about those gauntlets... I reckon Arum be fix'n to make some o'these judging from what he did to those ogres. Might help'em move a little. Otherwise, Arman hasn't gotten anything yet and likes to mix it up. I'd say Arman on that and Arum gets the wand. Any objections?" Tolrin looks around.

"As fer the amulets, Duervar 'as one and Hjalmar Bouldershoulder there obviously doesn't need one; armored war pig that he is", Tolrin says and smirks at that then ponders. "I'd say Magnum or Bundok on that one, as Kelith already has one, Arum got that robe and no one's likely to get close to Raltise very often. That okay? No shield, afterall..."

"Other amulet goes to Raltise, as while no one can catch'em to swing at'em, spells be a different story. It'd be good protection 'gainst magic missile spells, even if its a little used. That leaves that cloak...." Tolrin walks over and examines it.

"I'd say its between Kelith and Raltise on that. The ring Kelith took be worth more than Ralt's amulet, but Lithe did eat that emerald so that balances out. Kel can heal'em self but is the more likely to be need'n it and that balances, so... eh, whomever wants it. Figure it out yerselves." Tolrin shrugs.

"As fer the gold, even distribution on that 'ween the seven of ye. Call it 850 gold for the each of ye be the even distribution and 300 gold in coin and gems as pay from me. As fer the three remain'n gems, I'd suggest one fer Kelith and Arman each as they got a bit shorted and the last to Hjalmar. Ye did yer gold dwarf kin proud today, lad and ye obviously have stones so large, ye need to walk with a cart in front of ye," Tolrin looks around at what's left on the table as he sets out the pouches of gold from him. Hjalmar's smiles slightly and tip his head towards Tolrin respectfully.

As do ye, Lord Tolrin. Hjalmar says in his quiet, gravelly and detached voice.

"Thank ye, lad. Now with the potions, two o'the big ones left. I'd say one to Hjalmar and one to Bundok, just outta sheer need. Otherwise four o'the smaller ones to Magnum to make good his own potions and one each to Arum, Arman, Duervar and Kelith. I think 'hat covers everything... Grab whatever grenades ye like, I suppose. No throw'n them at that nasty gnome woman, alright?"

Lithe watches Tolrin set down the bags and examine the remaining gems as he speaks with a hungry look in her eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ask them for another gem, Raltise! That was good!

I'm sure this isn't the funnest part for everyone, so Tolrin made these suggestions to help expedite things. His suggestions are in character, not DM fiat, of course. We have a couple new players and I want to get them onboard soonish. They are just suggestions though, so feel to change anything. Just trying to move things along...
    Last edited by mshady; 2008-02-24 at 02:05 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286

GnomeWizardGuy

Arum nods his head "That sounds good to me Tolrin. We still need to see what we can get for those weapons though, they aren't much use to us, but some of them are high qaulity, and some of them are magic I suggest we just sell them and split that gold evenly as well. Any objections?" He says, taking his coins and gems, as well as a potion.
    Last edited by Katasi; 2008-02-24 at 02:21 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Got no problem here either, though I'd prefer these potion go to others than me. I got my own share and I don't wanna be chasin you down to give you another if you run out," Magnum says as the four potions are handed to him.
    Last edited by bchilders; 2008-02-24 at 01:23 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

"Well if ye object, lets give it to Bundok. Nice armor, but the lad bears no shield. Needs all the help he can get." Tolrin shakes his head at that, but wears an amused smile. "Just take the potions though and give'em to whomever ye wish. Need to get a bit o'a move on as we'll be meet'n the reinforcements sooner 'hen I thought. Old Silvernail is a damned impatient one..." Tolrin says, grimacing slightly.

The dwarves might wonder if the reason he is drinking has to do with "Old Silvernail" actually. Glorian Silvernail, the leader of the Forgemark Arcanii was notoriously quick tempered and an enormously powerful mage, it was said. Many thought the temper was just to keep others on their toes around her, to demand excellence. Others just thought her brilliant, but mean.

"Lord Tolrin, the Silver Rune herself is coming here?" Duervar asks, a note of sudden concern in his voice.

"Mage Commander now but aye, lad. She is. The Patriarch and the rest of the Forgemark Brotherhood are considering it too. Depends how bad things get here." Tolrin says, a bit more quietly then usual.

Duervar raises an eye brow and whistles in exclamation at the news. Hjalmar reflexively adjusts his eye patch for a moment and turns his one good, piercing eye towards Tolrin and mutters something under his breath. Tolrin misses it but seems to guess the meaning. He frowns slightly and shrugs, although the meaning of the wordless exchange is lost on the rest of the group.

"As fer the weapons... the big stuff is goin' to the Minotaurs that're coming. The Turrock Herd Mercenaries. Be a good fit for'em. Less we have to work our mages and smiths to death equipp'n them, the better. Hjalmar, don't ye carry a short sword?" Tolrin says as he turns to grab the naked blade by its handle and offers it to Hjalmar. The two look at each other a moment and nothing is said for a long moment. Almost seeming to sigh as he gets up, Hjalmar lumbers over towards Tolrin and takes the sword wordlessly and sits back down.

"Now what 'bout the rest? A good mace is good to have in case o'undead or meet'n someone in plate mail. What 'bout ye, Magnum? Ye carry an axe, but this might be better 'gainst the deaders. Anything else o'interest up here lads? If ye don't got a short sword, I'd take it. Can be the only way to be fight'n in tunnels or shield wall on shield wall. Otherwise it'll be goin' to the armory." Tolrin asks.

"Aye, Tolrin. I could use an axe. A pick's no good for tak'n the heads yer fond of and I hate to keep borrow'n yours." Duervar rises and takes the remaining axe. He looks it over and snorts. "No one it be a good axe. It be one o'the axes from Mirabar that they sell in town!" Duervar snorts derisively and adds the axe to his belt loop.

Three masterwork shortswords and a +1 mace remain. In very close quarters tunnel fighting where you are should to shoulder, shield to shield, medium sized or two handed weapons would be penalized realistically. No room to swing them.
    Last edited by mshady; 2008-02-24 at 12:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Two identical female dwarves, clearly twins and comely in appearance for dwarves, walk into the area as Tolrin and the party finish up dividing the spoils. They are wearing what can only finely made mithril breast plates and chainmail underneath, although it is hard to tell the extent with all the cold weather gear and furs they have on. They each a flight lance in one hand and hold a shield at their side, along with a heavy, unusual flanged mace on their belt loops. Their approach is heralded by the clanking of their silver spurs and they can only be the newly arrived Valkyries of Berronar from their distinctive winged helmets. Flying atop griffons, these paladins supported the Forgemark, provided a last reserve to save an endangered dwarven position, evacuated wounded or delivered clerics to them. Fierce as they were, they were not aerial cavalry by choice and the tenets of their religious order. The step into the area and bang their lance against their shield by way of salute and Tolrin pounds his chest in reply. It is an old form of dwarven saluting not practiced elsewhere.

“Hargreth! Weresli! Good to see ye lasses! How goes it? Did you see anything?” Tolrin asks the two, his mood suddenly brightened.

“Freezing” says one. “We live” says the other. The two women are clearly very cold and likely frostbitten, but none the less here.

“I forgot, which one is the depressing one?” Tolrin says.

“She is” they both reply. Tolrin snorts and shakes his head.

“How’s the pass look from the air?” Tolrin says, an edge of eagerness for the news in his voice.

“Open” says one, “Watched”, says the other.

“What do ye two mean by watched?”

“Worg riders patrol the ridgelines in the middle of the pass”, says one. “Winter wolves as well.” Tolrin nods at that, as if expecting it.

“Well… they know we’re coming. Any sign of frost giants? Anything like that?”

“No. It was dark” says one, “We were flying” says the other. Her tone leaves carries some annoyance at the question, as if asking Tolrin what exactly he expected.

“Thank ye. I know it was cold and dark and that isn’t what yer here for and I’ll hear no end of this from First Mace Nega. The more we know, the better we can our next move.” Tolrin says, trying to explain himself a little to the two frozen women.

“We know” says one. “It’s why we did it”, says the other. Tolrin nods in response.

“Thank ye, lasses. Thank ye kindly. I know yer father’d be proud of ye both if he were still here, Moradin bless his soul.” Tolrin says. The two women share a glance between each other. “We ‘ave a fire and warm food & ale here if you’d like to warm up?” Tolrin offers.

“Thank ye, Lord Tolrin. You've done enough. We -” says one. “will go unthaw with our sisters and tend our mounts.” The two Valkyries bang their flight lances against their shield again and Tolrin returns the salute and they clank out.

“Damn good, but damn odd. Thunder twins, closer than I ever seen” Tolrin shakes his head. “So where were we?”
    Last edited by mshady; 2008-02-24 at 03:16 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290

GnomeWizardGuy

Arum give a low whistle when the dwarves come in. "Well anyway I think we have this mostly sorted down, are we ready to go? He asks, after they leave. "I don't know of anything more we can really do."
    Last edited by Katasi; 2008-02-24 at 03:22 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Raltise stares at the pile of grenades for some time. "...I think we should probably share these out. I don't think I could carry all of that." The psychic promptly stands up, and starts arranging the grenades up into 8 neat piles; seven of them contain 3 thunderstones, 1 tanglefoot bag and 1 bag of caltrops each, while the remaining pile only has 3 thunderstones.

Raltise takes one of the piles with caltrops and tanglefoot bag. "It's best for us to distribute the weight, I'd think..."
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2008-02-24 at 01:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kelith

"Well Raltise, i'll just take the cloak and you can have my gem; seems that gem would come in more handy for that pet of yours and the cloak for me."

With that Kelith will pick up his share of gold, wrap the cloak around him and walks out to do a bit of shopping before returning to the tavern.

{{Purchasing 2 daggers make that 15(new spell requires small dagger as spell component. They all go in my bag of holding), and another spiked chain (just a regular one).

HP Roll: (1d8)[6](6)}}
    Last edited by Tharar_Greenleaf; 2008-02-25 at 05:30 PM.
    "The forest is a dangerous place to those who don't know its secrets, your in luck though because i know them" -Tharar Greenleaf, Ranger, to my weekly D&D group

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Arman watched while everyone distributed the goods around, wondering what he might want. In truth, he really didn't need anything, but want was a different matter entirely. A few things caught his eye, but he immediately dismissed them. The spellbook stayed in his mind of course. As a wizard, magic was what he was after all.

Maybe he could talk with Arum into letting him borrow it one week or so. Enough time to perhaps read and copy a few spells that he may not have.

Tolrin soon walked in and expedited the splitting of everything. The bracers were to go to him, along with a good amount of gold, a gem and a healing potion.

"I am glad to accept everyting Tolrin. The healing potion however would best serve someone else. I have a few wands with me aside from my own potions, and have no need for another. Mayhap to Bundok, seeing as he likes to charge creatures larger than him." Arman smiled at his last few words to the Dwarf.

Just then the tinkling of spurs upon the ground could be heard and Arman turned to the doorways, his hands absentmindedly taking the gold from one of the piles that were put together and placing them into a pouch at his side. He would see later about perhaps trading them into something more carryable.For now, he watched the two Valkyrie Dwarves walk in, amazed by how much the two looked alike.

When Tolrin asked which one was the more depressing one, Arman chuckled at their statement. When the two looked at him at his chuckle. He smiled and gave a small bow in their direction, before turning back to the task at hand of placing the bracers upon his wrists. He would soon be meeting them all, and soon after that, they would be travelling on the road to the Ten Towns.

24. - Top - End - #294

WolfInSheepsClothing

Magnum

Magnum takes Tolrins advice and picks up both the mace and the rest of the potions, "Don't feel quite like the axe, but I get the purpose of 'aving something that can deliver a punch."

Magnum listens intently as the valkyries give there report. After they leave Magnum lets out a louds whistle. "Now there is nothin' more attractive than a woman who can fight." Magnum quieted down for a moment before bursting out in laughter as if he just thought of something humorous. "Unless it's two women..."

25. - Top - End - #295

GnomeWizardGuy

Arum laughs out loud and moves to high-five Magnum. "Right you are, and those two are a very attractive pair. A bit sharp though." He says

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Raltise just stares at Magnum and Arman for a moment, then sighs. "Lythe, come on. We need to get you fitted for that chain shirt." And so he hops up from his chair, and wanders out, one hand raised in a sort of half-wave. "I'll see you people later." And he's gone.

Once Raltise finds the armourer, he buys a chain shirt for his geodite companion, as well as an earthsilk shirt for the pair of them.

After that's done, he makes his way to the archery range, to practise his newfound skills. The look of awe from onlookers as he throws arrows of silver energy never cease to amuse him.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Tolrin nods to Magnum as he grudgingly takes the last axe.

“Better to have one o’those for the job ‘han trying to head butt it to death. Although, I hear Thimbledorf Pwent did that once…” Tolrin shrugs tiredly. “..and Magnum, lad? I had that idea once. Listen to the Longbeard lad, it ain’t worth it. They do think a nice mace makes a fine gift though, if well used. See? I was look’n out for ye.” Tolrin half laughs at his own humor and is joined by an unusual soprano voice in the corner that joins in his laughing.

“Always a dirty beard, Uncle! And a name dropper too!” The dwarf says in near perfect common as she steps into view from behind some timbers and crates. She is shorter than an average dwarf, but also thinner with long, silky black braids of hair. The dwarf is wearing a fine black and gold blouse and fatigues and cloak of fine pelts. She bears a sword on one hip along with a lyre slung under one arm and a bulging satchel under the other. The dwarf also bears an emerald eyed mountain lion amulet on a silver or mithril chain. Grinning ear to ear, the two quickly move towards each other and Tolrin engulfs her in a furry bear hug and kisses her on the cheeks.

“No one told me ye were com’n down here, Valina!” Tolrin says after their long embrace, still weary but smiling. “I assume that means ye weren’t supposed to come?” The two laugh once again.

“Uncle Tolly, did your spies and oracles fail for once? Of course I’m supposed to be here. Sorry to miss your parade, but I wanted to surprise you and, somehow, I did!” she says. Tolrin laughs and roughs up her hair.

“Either they failed me, they have a sense of humor or ye know’em all I told’em to shush or you’d sing for’em.” Tolrin grouses. “I take it ye rode here? And how’s my wife and me children doing back in de Halls?”

“Oh, they’re fine. Ole Grumpypa Hignar was bouncing the lad on his lap tell’n him about home. And Andra Moyen. Again. Or was it Mira Thiltender?” She shrugs and laughs.

“Prolly the wyrm again. Tis always that bloody wyrm he slew. Favorite bloody story, and a good one too! Least it wasn’t the time with the bear when he fell with the honey… How was the ride down? I heard ‘bout it from the Second Mace but I be liking to hear it from ye myself.” Tolrin says.

“Ah, am I to be your spy once again, Uncle Tolly?” Valina says.
    “Always.”

“Hmph! Well if that’s the case, fine. It was a long, bitter, cold ride down. Just outside the pass, we were shadowed by a pair o’worgs and riders. Too little cover out there and we seen’em easily. Once we got into the Icewind Pass, the snow got very fierce and I daresay it wasn’t natural. About halfway there a small avalanche came down near on top o’us, but Forgemark Buna carved through it quickly for us. Buried one o’the Silvers, but we dug’em out quick enough.

About a day’s ride out from here we came across a wagon train. Twelve of’em, including four carriages. The top o’the carriages were destroyed by boulders, must’ve been the first volley and stones all over the area. Must’ve been twenty dead there, two dwarves even. We found a dead ogre that must’ve been part of a frontal attack, judging from the pike in its guts. All the dead, well…”

Valina becomes quiet for a long moment.

“Well Uncle… it looked like they were all cleaned. Cleaned like animals for meat! some were stuck in snow banks to stay frozen till they came back, I think. We seen a winter wolf look’n for a meal off the ogre, at least they don’t eat their own, and drove it off. With a fireball. From the boulders and other sign there… must’ve been at least eight frost giants there, some wolves and an ogre troop. Means a Jharl was probably there…”

“A what?” Duervar says, intruding on Tolrin’s exchange.
    “A giant chieftain. The big, big guy.” Hjalmar says, his boredom self-evident. Duervar frowns and leans back in his chair and somewhat embarrassed.

“I just had a similar reception today. Grand fun… I ‘hink that confirms another ambush, and mighty bold of’em right on the trail. Looks like ‘hey were already sending Hundlestone a message, right before the annual payoff.” Tolrin’s eyes twinkle in recognition of something. “I bet they’re still close by…”

Valina nods in response, but seems unsure of his intent.

“So Uncle, would ye like to get supper with me? I’d hate to take you away from your heads and piles of blood spoils, but I missed you!” she says, tilting her head slightly and smiling sweetly. Tolrin feigns mulling over the issue and finally shrugs helplessly.

“Oi lass, how could I say no?” he says and extends his arm to her, which she takes. “Lads, I’ll be hav’n dinner with my neice, so no interruptions short o’the second coming of Shanatar! Meet back here in full kit ‘n six hours. Get yer sleep’n, drink’n and Gods forbid wench’n outta the way now, ye won’t be back fer a couple days this time!”

Donning an overlarge white fur hat that matches his billowing winter wolf cloak, complete with ear flaps, Tolrin leaves the barracks, leaving the rest of the party behind.

Okay everyone, you have six hours. It’s enough to prep spells and such and get enough sleep to be functional. In your next posts, let me know if you’re hitting the stores. Everything in town is at a 25% mark up and you are limited to 1st level potions, basic gear and masterwork equipment at a 30% markup.

In your next posts, let me know what you’ll be doing during this time and then we will move out rather directly.

For Raltise:

Spoiler
    Show
    Raltise and Lythe go to the dwarven quartermaster in the barracks and acquire two earthsilk jerseys for 150 gp apiece. He also visits the town's armorer, a large, crude, sweaty man who greets him with a old leather apron, a bare chest and a well used smithing hammer in one hand. He can buy either a stock chainshirt for 125 gp or a masterwork one for 310 gp. After choosing the armor and having it fitted by the smith, Raltise and Lythe make their way to the archery range.

Raltise begans projecting his strange arrows at the targets from varying distances with chilling accuracy in the twilight. At first, a passing child notices and than a small crowd gathers to watch. It is not in admiration, however and some of the townsfolk, particularly other humans, begin heckling him. Cries of a "demon in their midst" or a "freak" have just begun to rain on Raltise when some guards lead by Knute Hammer arrive. The squad of guards quickly sends the crowd home with a minimal amount of blunt force encouragement. With that settled, Knute approachs Raltise.

"I'd appreciate it if ye went somewhere else too. Yer a strange one and yer scaring people. Ye may not like our sensibilities, but they are our sensibilities so I'd ask ye once to stop what yer doin' or do it where no one can see it. Its scarin' people, people think yer rock hound is some sorta pet monster so... just move along", he says and waits for Raltise's response.
    Last edited by mshady; 2008-02-27 at 11:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Raltise stands with his right arm still outstretched, fingers pointing towards the target he just hit. "...No, sir. That wasn't fear. If they were afraid, they would have given me a wide berth, not heckled me in an attempt to provoke me. No, sir, these people were unfortunately practising the mortal habit of hatred of what they don't understand or deem 'different'."

He turns to face him, stretching a little bit. "I would suggest against referring to Lythe as a 'rock hound' in the future." And then he's off, heading towards the barracks. "I need sleep anyway, sir. Good night to you."

29. - Top - End - #299

GnomeWizardGuy

Arum leaves the building after giving a short goodnight to the rest and goes off to find a place to buy a dire badger and a burrowing saddle. If he can't get a burrowing saddle he'll get a military saddle instead.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Arman decided to take his stuff at that point and walk to the stables to look in upon his horse. Making sure everything was as it should be, he soon left the stables and went back to his studies. He soon had everything studied and packed, and still had enough time for a two hour nap.