New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 167 of 167 FirstFirst ... 67117142157158159160161162163164165166167
Results 4,981 to 5,010 of 5010
  1. - Top - End - #4981
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: [3.5E] Heretic's Bane Icewind Dale

Thordrek

Other dwarves I presume, I'm sure the Princes haven't been able to rally all of their kin, a lot of them will have integrated with clans all over the region but might be more willing to join after an initial success. Plus there are some dwarves from Mythral Hall, Adbar, Mirabar, all the other holds, assorted adventurers. If he proves to be a big enough thorn in Zenth's foot he might get some support from the Harpers and other local powers. Tethyamar being under dwarf control is a net positive for everyone in the region after all. But for all that to happen, he needs a clear success on the first offensive and a powerful symbol that the royal house is back, the sword is going to be that symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

2. - Top - End - #4982
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Johannes nods, new comprehension dawning.

"So what we need here isn't a seige of a hall that we can't hold. What we need are some very smart thieves. Right?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #4983
    Troll in the Playground

Magnum

"While I'm not much fer sneakin', dat tactic ta get in sounds better, savin' da teleports ta get out. I can summon a medium elemental. It only stays a short time, so wouldna be very useful fer wardin' an area, but it can help collapse tunnels an' such. I also 'ave dis horn o' blastin', but it just does uncontrolled damage."
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

4. - Top - End - #4984
    Troll in the Playground

Buna and Valina

"Given a little time, we can summon an elemental and get it to stay awhile. We can call something planar, fight devils with angelic beings maybe? I just think we a golem or two. Magic won't do too much good against it. Since we're not teleporting, tis an option but we'll probably lose it. Not too concerned about that, just won't be one of the big ironmonger ones. Should hold off the mages. Maybe? We're not going to hold them off a week without serious damage." Buna says and shrugs. "We have time. Something magic we can make permanent would help though"

"As for the sword? It's symbolic, sure. Return the sword of the King Ghellin, lost by his son and recovered? Very symbolic, but that's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things although he'll need all the help to keep them rallied in a long siege. What they really need it for is to learn how it was made quickly. Chip off a piece, see how it was forged and make a few more. Obviously a lot of what the sword does has to do with magic, but the metal itself means even a wound is mortal to an orc. The troops armed with some of those. Tasster and Teszter to fight off fiends, they could make a go of it. The real symbolism is just taking back something. It's hard to get others to rally to a sad story. We're dwarves, almost all of us have lost our homes and talk about it. Yes, if he delivers success he just might get some help. He's betting on it, because if he does not get that help, Tethyamar ends in here. Our help is what he probably needs. I just hope we don't enable suicide"
    "Clerics: Just because they heal you, it doesn't mean they like you."

Heretic's Bane - DM

IC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Icewind Dale (and beyond)[/URL]

OOC Forum: Heretic's Bane - OOC Group

Heretic's Bane Wiki - http://hereticsbane.wikispaces.com/

5. - Top - End - #4985
    Troll in the Playground

Conclusion

After the two Princes finish their circulation amongst the various Clans, sharing a drink with each of them, the two stumble back to the podium with a smile on their faces. Most of the Clans cheer their return to the stage. It was a rowdy enough crowd. Teszter takes the stage and places his hands on the podium, leaning on it for support perhaps.

"Kinsmen! For the last couple of hours, we have all talked and drank and plotted. We have much planning to do. What we are planning has already had a great foundation set, with years of preparation for it. Arms and armor, stockpiled for years, ready to take into battle alongside the relics of our past. At this very moment, we choose if we only want know our true homes from the old books and the mutterings of the old of better times. Those stories can be inspiration for us, or they can be the gnawing sadness, the consumption of our souls of dwarves. My brother and I, we can live like that no longer. How can the rest of you? I know from talking to you now, that you cannot either. We all have fears. We live as tradesman, but we can once again fight as dwarfs and the dead may never die if they fall in battle, with honor, in service of our race.

When we take the Goldhammer Halls, we will be assailed from inside and without as our enemy will be desperate from fear of the returning kings of the mountains. We will stand atop that mountain and send ravens out to every dwarfhold I know of, any ally that might aide us. We will let them know the Iron House has returned, that the Clans of Tethyamar are back and call upon old allies, old treaties, old debts and show all of our kin that we CAN reclaim what was lost. We will call for a mighty crusade to aid us, and those that come to our aid may have a home in the empty halls of our lost brethren. You all know what I propose, and I ask ye all to unite in a vote, to bless this plan and pledge your support. Vote with your soul and call out your clan name. Let Moradin himself hear it in his Halls, and Dumathion know there is still strength in our race. Long live Tethyamar!"
    Tezster says, bellowing the last part.

The room erupts in cheers and the different representatives bellow their Clan names out, toasting and drinking. Tezster watches it all with a smile, with his children, his brother and his brother's sons at his sides. The Princes smiles and waves to all of them, a look of joy and relief on his face as he basks in the affirmation of the moment.

"So a Crusade eh? Promises of land, glory to the Gods and history of his clan? He'll draw them in droves alright. Moradin help him, Moradin help us all" Valina mutters, listening to the din.

As the meeting breaks up, the group returns to their quarters and they find themselves in a communal room with soft chairs, ale and cheese laid out for them. The room finally affords

Heretic's Bane - DM

6. - Top - End - #4986
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Johannes seemed uncharacteristically dejected as the group assembled in the communal room - which doesn't stop him from parking himself close to the cheese plate and enjoying it immensely. Even the feather in his cap seems to droop. He offers a piece of cheese and bread to the mighty Kal-Resh. Even his voice, normally bright and tinged with irony, is soft and sincere.

"I don't know if any of us would think less of you if you stepped away from all this, given the number of orcs that we're being asked to kill."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #4987
    Titan in the Playground

Throughout the whole discourse of the meeting, Kal had remained mostly quiet, sharing a look or two with Wyatt and Joh, he forced a smile upon his face and nodded as the others talked, planned, and prepared.

It was all above him, he was no strategist, and he was no orc, merely a friend, who had been saved, and he owed them his loyalty.

He followed them into the room and gratefully accepted the offering of cheese from Johannes, not seeing the subtleties the dwarf was showing towards him.

He frowned at him as he munched on, "I've never had love for my angry kin, just because I am related to one, does not mean I am beholden to them, if we were killing bad humans or dwarves, it would be the same." he takes another bite "Besides, I'm not an orc or a human, I'm a wolf!" he swiftly shifts into a wolf and howls.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

8. - Top - End - #4988
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

When Johanness suggests sneaking in, Thordrek shakes his head

Wouldn't work... At the core of our culture is a strong vein of romanticism, Tezzter needs to appeal to that, and just stealing the sword isn't enough

When they reach the room, Thordrek talks to Valina

Aye, Moradin help us all, if Tezzter isn't as good a general as he thinks he is, or if the foe is better then he estimates, enough dwarves could go through the grinder in this venture to undo the Blessing of Thunder... On the other hand, if it works... Between a restored Tethyamar, the Patriarchate, Mythral Hall, others, we'll have more strength and dynamism then we've had since the fall of Gauthlgrim. If you'll forgive me a bit of hyperbole, we may be walking the edge between a new golden age of the Shield Dwarves and our eventual fall into irrelevance and destruction

As this epiphany hits him, his eyes harden and he speaks softly

And that means we can't let anyone or anything get in our way, no matter how many cities we have to blow up

He also makes a silent pledge, from that moment on, Thordrek Torrun is a dwarf on a mission. No matter how much it stains his soul he'll do what it takes to bring ruin and destruction to the enemies of his race, be they orcs, white dragons or misguided cousins.
    Last edited by thorgrim29; 2014-04-27 at 03:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #4989
    Troll in the Playground

Valina

Valina chuckles as Kal-resh turns into a wolf and howls.

“Well, thanks for clearing that up Kal. I think we were all wondering about that” she says and smiles at the half orc. Relaxing in her chair, she takes in the conversation with a pleasant enough smile on her face as Johannes and Thordrek go back and forth.

“Thordrek’s right about the nature of our kind and the romantic streak. Nothing short of a grand tale will do for the recovery of a grand old sword. We’re not going to be able to burgle it, even with a hin helping us out. We’re not a race that thinks highly of trickery, but we do value cleverness.

What we will need is someone who knows some lore and is just clever enough to get into that vault. That will indeed require a bit of thieving, as I certainly do not want to destroy the Royal Vaults of the Iron House of Tethyamar, seeing as there is good chance they might be using them again in a few year’s time.

The place won’t be unguarded at all. Quite the contrary I’m sure. Tezster’s attack should provide the distraction we need to make sure those guards do not get reinforcements in a timely manner though. After that, we need to get into those vaults and get what we came for and for that I think we’re going to have to depend on Johannes to do that for us. It’s likely a bunch of gears and some code, not something as mundane as a key. A place like that will have at least one old golem guarding it, which I presume the Zhentarim have repurposed. That’s how such places are guarded for eternities in dwarf holds.

While we are there though, their Hall of Records is nearby. Clan Timekeeper used to manage those vaults, and I think we need to talk with them. Johannes, I think ye’d be best for that. If there is any record of King Reigan and where he took Ballyrand’s sarcophagus following his exodus, it would be there. I know the Tethyamar said they struck all knowledge of our Clan from their records, but they would have kept such records in a restricted area where only their most important advisors could access it. We were too dangerous to completely forget. We won’t have much time, but we might be able to get a lead there. I doubt Tezster would mind, but I think we need to keep that to ourselves”

She listens to the rest of Thordrek’s words when he approaches her.

“Moradin help us all indeed. I don’t expect Tezster is a good general, but he is a good enough leader from the motivation and rally the troops part. He’s not had the formal training someone like you or Magnum had, because who would give it to him? Most of what he knows will come from book learning, and he knows his history at least. Until our own attack, we owe it to the Tethyamar to do everything we can to help.

If he gets this wrong, yer right this could be a bloody quagmire that devours a generation of dwarves. Waving the banner of Crusade about will draw many warriors looking for their first battles and this could end up the eternal stalemate of the Battle Halls, where generation after generation of dwarf fights off orcs for possession of a few miles of shattered Halls. If he gets it right, ye see how important this would be to all of us. It very well could be the start of a new Golden Age for our people. That’s why calling for a Crusade could be so potent. With that kind'o future on the scales, how can we not do everything that we can to help bring it about? Not for just here, but the decision at that Moot may have been the most historic one our race has made in hundreds of years”
    Valina says and sips on her drink.

“I wish we could do more, but we cannae risk our cousins attacking us while we’re divided or drawing our cousin’s attentions here by having them trying to thwart our efforts out of spite. We’ll do every damned bit we can for them though. That kind of future yer seeing is why there is a Patriarchate. At least it is in my eyes"

Heretic's Bane - DM

10. - Top - End - #4990
    Troll in the Playground

Taking the reins of the meeting now, Buna outlines a few open questions that need to be settled for both your own plan and for things that can be done to support Tezster’s efforts. The Patriarchate is very well resourced, and while they can only commit very limited troops, there are things they can provide to help.

Tethyamar Preparations

With the resources at your personal disposal, including training and knowledge, and resources from the Patriarchate, what can be done to support the Tethyamar assault? Currently they are planning a direct assault through a narrow pass opening up to a large open plain. It is about a half mile of lightly wooded areas up to the Goldhammer Halls. At that point, the plan it to use rams to knock down the gates and allow entrance. At that point, the presumption is the Patriarchate team will split off for your own mission.
    What supplies or suggestions would you make? Be open minded.

Operation Goldhammer

1. Do you partially collapse the tunnel, or erect defenses to hold off the enemy?
    A. How do you collapse the tunnel?
    B. What types of defenses or walls do you erects?
    C. Golem, Elemental or Celestial?

2. Are you teleporting into the area (risk of teleportation error) or using a secret entrance (risk of encounters of randomly determined severity).
    3. What wards or magic can be used to limit any devils from bypassing the barricades?
    A. How long will it last?
    B. How can you make it last longer? Permanency Spell (hint)

4. While in the Goldhammer Halls, what else can be done to support the Tethyamar assault plan?
    Last edited by mshady; 2014-04-28 at 01:26 AM.

Heretic's Bane - DM

11. - Top - End - #4991
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Johannes

Johannes smiles at Kal Resh's comment, and at the sentiment behind it. He is less thrilled by Thordrek's defense of genocide in the name of cultural vitality, but that was a topic for a much longer discussion on a much shorter day. Thordrek was a kind and reasonable dwarf.

But now all this talk of an acceptable and an unacceptable level of cleverness was making his head hurt.

"Right. Sure. I can check on the records. But apparently, I'm even worse at listening than I thought. Is our mission - all of our mission - to take and hold this hall indefinitely, or to get a sword. Those are pretty different things, and need different strategies.

Spoiler: Goldhammer
    Show
    If the complex is just under a lightly wooded area, then our best bet may be to reach a point directly above the tunnel we need to defend/block and use dimension door (lower level spell, no chance of error) rather than teleport.

12. - Top - End - #4992
    Troll in the Playground

Valina

"Oh, no Johannes. The mission is for us to block reinforcements, try to get the sword, check their records while we are there, and leave. The goal for the Tethyamar is to take and hold the Goldhammer Halls. The implications of which I nay think anyone realized until just now, but all the same that's the goal" she says and sips on her drink again.

OOC: I'll draw a map soon, but there is the narrow pass, followed by some woods to the foot of the mountain. The area has been logged, so it is mainly small stuff at this point. After that, you're heading up into the mountain and the area you are looking for is basically under the peak or a bit behind it.

Heretic's Bane - DM

13. - Top - End - #4993
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Johannes

Johannes briefly massages his forehead before responding.

"All right, but follow my thinking on this, and tell me where I'm getting this wrong. All of the things that you just talked about us doing...getting the sword, checking the records, blocking off reinforcements...those are in Goldhammer Halls, right?

"So...if we succeed in blocking off reinforcements, and they hold the halls, then they have a lot more time to do things like sift through records and open a vault. Sure, we can help with that before we go, but there's not the same urgency. And if they fail to hold the halls, then it would be cravenly and undwarfish to just sneak in and get the sword anyway, so there's no point in going to the vault until they hold the hall."

Johannes briefly lifts his hands in confusion.

"I'm going to stick to playing cards from now on."

14. - Top - End - #4994
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

You're right on the plan, thing is, if whoever's in charge down there senses the winds turning, he or they will flee with as much treasure as they can carry, and that will include the sword

15. - Top - End - #4995
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Johannes

Johannes smacked the back of his left hand into his right palm.

"Yes! Exactly! That makes perfect sense to me. But apparently that's not sexy enough for our romantic dwarven spirits, for whom a smash and grab is insufficiently blood-stirring. So unless they hold the hall, it's counter-productive to steal the sword, right?"

It was once again becoming clear why Johannes often wore out his welcome quickly, and moved frequently.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2014-04-28 at 02:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #4996
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

Thordrek liked Johanness, he was smart, funny, personable, good in a fight, fairly insightful, and extremely adept at manipulating the less then stalwart folk they found themselves running into with alarming frequency. However, his versatility and quite breathtaking range of skills came with a tendency to assume he knew better when he really didn't. In those moments, he was quite annoying, and Thordrek foresaw many headaches in his future with Joh under his command in the stonelands.

Obviously, which is why our primary objective is blocking the tunnel... Both of our tasks assume that the assault on Goldhammer Halls will succeed. If it doesn't all of it will be quite pointless, but if it does and we do our jobs correctly the Princes will have a fighting chance of holding the place long enough to get Tezzter's crusade underway.

He continues a bit louder to get the attention of the others

Speaking of blocking the tunnels, I have a few thoughts. I think that having golems and earth elementals will be crucial, but I still believe a cave-in is our best bet. As I see it, the best way to go would be to create a cave-in using transmute rock to mud spells, I'm sure we can get Buna some scrolls. Once that's done, we can create and summon whatever we decide on to guard our side of the tunnel. Since short term the most likely trouble will come from fiends and magic users bypassing the rubble I think a Tombstone just at the edge of or buried under the rubble would be an incredible boon, wouldn't bother a golem as we saw on our last mission. If we can't get one, we could heavily ward the whole area against teleportation, evil, traveling in the astral plane, whatever we think of. Once the Halls are secure, they can build proper fortifications and have the golem clear the rubble.
    Last edited by thorgrim29; 2014-04-28 at 02:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #4997
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Johannes

The beardless dwarf seems to abandon his questions about the wisdom of the basic mission, and instead to focus on how not to die while accomplishing it. He leans forward, elbows coming to rest on his knees.

"I agree, Thordrek. Caving in the tunnel seems the safest bet to me.

"Perhaps, while we're setting up the cave-in, Magnum could use an effect I saw put to good use in Sigil, that blocks teleportation and creates some serious problems for those who believe differently than you do. The effect is expensive but huge. If we had time to cast it after taking the tunnel but before closing it, the effect could extend a distance down both sides of the tunnel, making it much more difficult for miners, devils and spellcasters to work in the area. As a bonus, if the spell were centred in the collapsed area, it would be very difficult to reach and pinpoint the centre of the effect in order to dispel it.

Spoiler: Roll call
    Show
    I'm just trying to figure out whether teleportation magic is even workable for our group. How many of us are there on this mission? Off the top of my head, I'm remembering:
    Buna
    EDIT: Grathalmor (sorry, bud)
    Johannes
    Kal Resh
    Magnum
    Nalrak
    Thordrek
    Valina
    Wyatt

Am I missing someone?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2014-04-28 at 05:38 PM.

18. - Top - End - #4998
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

"Wouldn't a tombstone prevent usin' magic ta' collapse the tunnel?" Grathalmor asks.

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Johannes
    Spoiler: Roll call
    Show
    I'm just trying to figure out whether teleportation magic is even workable for our group. How many of us are there on this mission? Off the top of my head, I'm remembering:
    Buna
    Johannes
    Kal Resh
    Magnum
    Nalrak
    Thordrek
    Valina
    Wyatt

Am I missing someone?
    Where Buna goes, so does Grathalmor...
    Last edited by Grodech; 2014-04-28 at 05:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #4999
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Johannes

Johannes briefly massages his forehead before responding.

"All right, but follow my thinking on this, and tell me where I'm getting this wrong. All of the things that you just talked about us doing...getting the sword, checking the records, blocking off reinforcements...those are in Goldhammer Halls, right?

"So...if we succeed in blocking off reinforcements, and they hold the halls, then they have a lot more time to do things like sift through records and open a vault. Sure, we can help with that before we go, but there's not the same urgency. And if they fail to hold the halls, then it would be cravenly and undwarfish to just sneak in and get the sword anyway, so there's no point in going to the vault until they hold the hall."

Johannes briefly lifts his hands in confusion.

"I'm going to stick to playing cards from now on."
    Valina

"If Tezster ultimately fails to hold the Goldhammer Halls or not, that question will be decided long after our own mission is complete. The Royal Vaults and the Archives are perhaps 15 to 20 miles away from the Goldhammer Halls, maybe more. The Tethyamar attack, we split off and block the tunnels somehow and when that is sufficiently done, we depart to grab the sword and maybe grab a book or two. I honestly nay care how we get the sword, so long as we get it. We'll come up with a good story about it later, because what truly matters is the sword is back and they can study it. Our mission may take a day or so. I expect these Halls to be contested for a week or more. Possibly months if Tezster is cautious and someone smart commands the enemy. Does that clarify things, Johannes?" Valina asks, a polite smile on her face.

Heretic's Bane - DM

20. - Top - End - #5000
    Troll in the Playground

There is a knock at the door, and a young dwarf enters with a battered old scroll tube. He bows as he hands it to Valina, who accepts the package. Walking over to the table, she unrolls the map. It is not nearly as detailed as one might like, and certainly not an architectural map, but it gives them a good enough idea of what they were getting into...

[IMG][/IMG]

Of particular note are the large living quarters that seemed to be on the floor of a large cavern, usually where the poorest or youngest of the Clan lived so they would be close to their work. The side of the cavern, going up several stories, are several layers of homes carved into the stone. Usually such homes are all accessed by a long, spiral stair case carved into the stone itself with railings for safety. The center of the area would be filled with where the smith shops would be and other large equipment. There are apparently two large smelters adjacent to the mines that, in their heyday, were probably fed by rail and fueled with coal that would be vented out of large chimneys up to the surface. Without a sky light, the place was probably illuminated by continual light torches in places but those had probably dimmed with time. Over the mines towards the rear, and surely they are not drawn to scale as the fingers of the mines likely run deep and scattered as miners chased veins, is a bridge. Likely there was not one originally, but as the mines progressed and grew deeper, the road become one so it may all be solid or nearly solid stone. The gold mines are in one direction, and the orc bane metals in another direction. Not that is labeled, but there is likely some iron in the area as well. Where the coal came from is anyone's guess, so the furnaces likely have been cold for some time unless another heat source had been found - quite possible with an association with denizens of Hell in the area. On the far side of the complex is a great crevice, which apparently plunges quite some distance into an underground source of water. The map seems to indicate a river, which may be quite a ways down. Although the map does not specify where, there must be places where livestock were kept and mushrooms farmed, both likely in played out mines. Of particular interest is that there appears to be a fortification on the front of the Goldhammer Halls to guard the road, but also one to the rear. Of course, the condition of them is unknown unless someone can perform some scrying. There also appears to be one towards the rear on the main road out of the complex, which only makes sense. The area they are expecting to be secured or blocked is beyond the fortress, and any point would probably do, so long as the old fortress is not destroyed.

In terms of scale, the Goldhammer Halls are probably three or four times the size of the one the group destroyed with the Stoneburner but not quite as large as Mithral Hall, at least per an old map. It could be larger. The Tethyamar were the last of the great dwarf empires of the north to fall.

A hand scrawled note of the map says the following:

The roads are all uniformly 40 feet wide, if that helps - Tezster.
    Last edited by mshady; 2014-05-06 at 07:16 AM.

Heretic's Bane - DM

21. - Top - End - #5001
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Johannes

Spoiler: Woo hoo!
    Show
    Thanks, Mike!

Johannes bends over the map, hands tucked into small pockets in his brocade vest. He rocks up and down on the balls of his feet for a moment, deep in thought.

"Well, if the frontal assault doesn't work, then as long as we hold that tunnel, this place should be easy to starve out. They might be able to pull a few fish out of the river, but otherwise, they're getting all their food from somewhere else."

He turns to the others.

"So, am I reading this right? The invasion force will be going in by that tunnel off to the right, and we're expected to close off the tunnel to the left? With maybe a mile in between?"

22. - Top - End - #5002
    Troll in the Playground

Velma

Bending over the map, she squints at it and reaches for a pair of reading glasses so she can see it better. The first signs of deep wrinkles around her eyes and a life time of dimly lit reading had clearly taken a toll on her vision. She looks for a key or a some sort of scale and does not find any.

"Could be a mile. Feels like it. Doubt it's more. The invasion force will be coming from the right, or east side, of the map yes. They could be besieged, but that is only if we permanently block the other tunnel. Remember they probably have access to the same mushroom farms the Goldhammers did in the played out mines, terraced farming of the chasm and of course water? These are orcs and they'll have no qualms eating their own dead if it came to it, and even they are smart enough to keep enough supplies for a bad winter. No, we're not going to starve them out faster than the tunnel can be cleared or an overland army will arrive and run off the Tethyamar. They stand a chance defending a fortification, but in open ground they'd be enormously outnumbered. We're lucky we won the Battle of Icewind Pass last season with the losses we had.

The only way a siege works is if the water is poisoned, and we would just be spiting ourselves after the siege unless it can suddenly be unpoisoned, otherwise we end up with da same problem the orcs had. Even if we have the sense to boil water. Regardless, we do have to close off the western tunnel which will put a fortification to our rear and whatever comes down the road to our front. Which means we probably need to take the fort too. That will just be lovely, don't you think?"
    she says with a grim smile.

Taking the fort would mean they would not be pinned on the open ground of the tunnels, but taking the old dwarf gatehouse fortress would be stiff fighting. While reinforcements from the tunnel may be blocked, reinforcements from the Goldhammer Halls themselves could be overwhelming as they would represent the only enemy an entire kingdom of greenskins could come to grips with.

"So our job is to block the tunnel, yes? Where do we want to do that? Do we want to take the fort, go into the shadow of the fortress and block it or do we do it somewhere else?" she asks.

Heretic's Bane - DM

23. - Top - End - #5003

Beholder

"We need ta find out how high the ceiling is in da tunnels." Grathalmor says "If'n it varies, we may wanna find a spot where it's lower. It'll be less space we hafta fill wit rock."
    Last edited by Grodech; 2014-05-08 at 11:29 AM.

24. - Top - End - #5004
    Troll in the Playground

Magnum

Once the map arrived, Magnum joined the others to peruse it thoroughly.

"Woulda been nice ta know how far dis west tunnel continues on before da next structure or change. Hard ta tell from an old map, no tellin' what might've changed, but dat looks like da best choke point ta cut off reinforcements. Perhaps we can add ta da cut off by doin' more in da gate fort, or even on da bridge. As ta scryin', if'n I knew somebody inside I might catch a glimpse of 'em. Otherwise, perhaps I can Commune wid Clangeddin ta gain some useful knowledge, if we organize some thoughtful questions designed fer a yes or no answer. As ta yer suggestion Johannes, tis a grand idea lad, alas I'm not yet powerful enough ta enact such a ward. I could also make the area Hallow, which could include an additional spell such a dimensional anchor, but dat takes 24 hours ta cast."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I have no access to other books at the moment, so there may be other cleric spells he could cast that would help. I'll research it later, and if I find anything I'll edit them in.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

25. - Top - End - #5005

Beholder

A plan begins to form in Grathalmor's mind - at least one for blocking the tunnels. "I t'ink beyond da fort would be best." He points to the road leading out to the left. "We get beyond where dey'd be able ta see us from da fort - mebbe three or four hunnerd feet, have Magnum or Buna put up a stone wall - mebbe even both, or even put a wall o iron between. 'Den, ta keep any o dem nasties from gettin' trough, we put a tombstone behind it. 'Dey'd hafta dig ta get trough. We go back ta de other end and ta keep any from gettin' at da tombstone, we put up another wall or collapse the tunnel on top of it." He pauses, glancing at the others to see if they had anything to add. He knew he wasn't a mage, so his idea of using magic could have been totally hairbrained, but he'd seen his companions do a lot of things over the years. He was sure they could do this. "O'course da problem'd be if dey have a heavy guard assigned ta dat side o'da fort. An' I'm not sure how we'd collapse the tunnel wit'out magic. Mebbe da prince's have some minin' experts."
    Last edited by Grodech; 2014-05-10 at 02:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #5006
    Troll in the Playground

Buna

"A good I nay think the Princes have much in the way of miners, let alone mining experts in this kind o'thing. We do have Duervar though, and he's done that kind o'thing before. Even he might need a small crew though. Problem with dat is it takes significant time. Hours, even. After that, what about him and his crew?

Goin' way beyond the fort though is a good idea. That road probably does miles. If we collapse some of the tunnel, erect the walls, leave behind a golem or an elemental - are we still doing that?, and drop off a tomb stone, I nay want to have to run towards the fort afterwards with them alert and with all of our magic suppressed? That's going to be a tough run.

So I think we need to figure out how we're collapsing some of that tunnel and work our way out from there first. Or can we just avoid doing it all together?"

She gets up for a moment and walks to the door to see the steward sitting outside, just like he is supposed to be, in case he was needed.

"Lad, can you ask for a map of Tethyamar itself? We need to see what's around the area too" she says and waves to the young dwarf. After that, she returns to her seat.

"With Valina here, I think its safe to say we can get whatever scrolls we need to do this. Within reason"

"Of course. We have unlimited resources. Anything you can possibly want, and more, just sitting around in case we need it" Valina says and snorts, but she seems amused. She even spares a moment to give Magnum a friendly nudge.

Heretic's Bane - DM

27. - Top - End - #5007

Beholder

"What if we used a golem between the walls instead o' a collapse?" Grathalmor says. He thinks back to the golem with tombstone from just before the horrible blast... "Mebbe make it hollow and put da tombstone inside it."

28. - Top - End - #5008
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

Thordrek looks at Valina with a "would that work" look at Grath's suggestion

29. - Top - End - #5009
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Johannes grinned up at his colleagues. Ah, the cut and thrust of ideas. It was almost fun.

"I wouldn't have thought we'd have time to assemble a golem in time for the assault. But if we can...an iron golem with a tombstone inside would be a force to reckon with indeed."

30. - Top - End - #5010
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Closed for Length. Restart if you haven't already. I suggest copy/pasting this threads location for reference.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.