New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 167 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: [3.5E] Heretic's Bane Icewind Dale

Arman walked with the rest of the group up the mountain side. He didn't know many in the group itself, just Tolrin. Hs only reason for knowing him, was the fact that he was hired by him in the Goblin's Groin just before the group set out.

He felt odd among the group of dwarves, humans and gnome. This was probably the reason for his silence. He liked to watch and learn more about the people he was with, before he said much.

So far he felt pretty good about the group, and followed along as they went up the mountain side to the tomb.

Everyone was stopped now, listening to Bundok give his report and then to Tolrin as he started going through scenarios of what the strange two lumps may be. For his own preperation, he went through his known spells and decided that what he had memorized would be enough. He had left his horse in town, knowing they would be back later that evening, and wondered now if he should have brought him. ( so yeah, if we are not going back to town, mshady, the horse is with me :) ) No. No sense in dragging his horse uphill and down to visit a tomb.

He watched as everyone prepared for a fight, and wondered what the two lumps were himself. Whatever they were, it was going to be interesting.

( more to come after i have some sleep :) )

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

"You want me to take pot shots at some mounds of snow? ... Eh, sure, why not?" He can't help but grin slightly, reaching for his bow. He sighs audibly, closing his eyes. There's a brief pale blue flash from behind his eyelides, and he opens them again. His face has taken on that veil of unnerving calm; his eyes are glowing a faint blue, as well. He then looks down at Lythe, placing one hand on her head, and concentrates a second time. Nothing seems to happen, except for the air seeming to distort in front of the two for a moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration check to gain psionic focus: (1d20+10)[11]
    Edit: Oh, come on, I rolled a one? *sigh* I'm just gonna take 10. There. 20. Moving on...
    Also manifesting force screen (sharing it with Lythe using the Share Powers ability) to boost both our ACs by +4, immediately before we move out.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2007-10-27 at 05:35 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Duervar grins. "Let's mine some snow!"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Arum watches silently as the others talk about battle. He goes over his spells in his head, deciding what might come in handy in the coming fight.
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

5. - Top - End - #65

WolfInSheepsClothing

Magnum gets out his waraxe and starts casting a spell in preparation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting bulls strength on myself
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Tolrin listens to what the group has to say and scratches his beard in thought. He unslings his magnificent shield off his back and reaches for his warhammer, taking a testing swing with it and smiling slightly.

"So I guess ye lads wanna take the direct route, eh? I 'hink the position up on the slope 'ays they must be someone who 'ants to shoot down on whomever goes down the trail. Nay just attack'em. Or at least charge'em from up high, height advantage ald all. Rather 'han just goin' at them like a bunch of pebbles goin' down a hill... lets be a bit more thought about this, eh?" He clucks in disapproval.

"Now... if we just walk by and see if we get attack, we do give'em all o'there position advantage. Not so good. We only see two suspicious places. Lets form like this... Hjalmar and Kelith, ye go up towards the left mound. Duervar and Magnum, ye go to the right one. Arum ye use your magics to support Hjalmar but keep yer distance. I'll stand towards the center and cover whomever needs it. If its big 'nd nasty, yer jobs are to keep'em away from the mages and let'em bring them down."

Tolrin draws out the formation in the snow with his finger.

"Bundok, I want ye to sneak along our side of the valley as we move forward. Watch the flank 'nd get to a position where ye can plink away with yer crossbow. If there's somethin' else with them, I need ye to stay hidden till it shows itself. When they poke yer nose up, I want ye to put some quarrels into'em to keep'em away from the main fight. If need be, I'll take Arman's place and he'll aid yer fight. Of course if what we see is all there be, fight as ye see fit with yer.. stick."

Tolrin smiles at the thought of a dwarf fighting with a stave, not smug, just amused.

"If we're ready, lets give Bundok a little head start and be about it. May Moradin protect us and guide our hands in battle, praise be to the Soul Forger!" With that exaltation, Tolrin begins preparing as well.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Raltise looks down at the small diagram. "...Uh, Tolrin? You forgot me and Lythe. Should we just... do whatever?"

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Bundok

Unsure as to whether this is the best approach or not, Bundok merely nods to Tolrin. The ranger takes his pack off and pulls a few things from within and stashes them in his belt pouches. He removes his cloak and reverses it so the lighter, softer side is facing outwards, in hopes it will help him blend in with the snow. Unhooking his crossbow from his backpack he pulls a quarrel from the bolt case strapped to that same pack, pulls back the wire and slides the bolt into place. He attaches the crossbow to a loop on his belt, and secures his pack again, tightening all his straps to lessen any noise it might make.

"Jus a thought sir, but 'nother thing 'at could 'ide in snow fer a long time not worryin bout the cold would be undead. We are 'eading fer a tomb...might'n be somethin got cranky and went outside fer a breath o' fresh air. I left a sign on tha' trail where the lumps should be visible, so's least ye'll all know where they be and where tha' fighting might be comin from."

Leaving that foreboding thought hanging in the air, Bundok begins picking his way to the vantage point Torlin mentioned.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival - (1d20+5)[13]
    Hide - (1d20+4)[13]
    Move Silently - (1d20+4)[23]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Tolrin acknowledges Bundok with a nod.

"Undead? Aye, thats possible. They sure have the patience and ain't adverse to the cold. Still...tis a dwarven tomb and undead are rare out of'em. Ain't but a few in this one and its well warded and sanctified every year. Doesn't rule out undead from elsewhere though. The curiosity is kill'n me. For all we know, could be some kind o'arctic woodchuck den. Anyways, get into position and we'll see soon enough." Tolrin laughs at his own joke than looks over at Ralts, a look of surprise on his face that he forgot someone.

":"Oh, sorry 'bout that! To be honest, I nay 'ven understand what ye do and we haven't been together that long but want to get up to Sunderhelme... Hmm"

Tolrin pulls at his beard and thinks a moment.

"Well... ye don't look like a bruiser, so why don't ye stand towards the center with me. I don't even know what Lythe is to be honest but... ye got a bow at least..."

Lythe jumps up and down and makes a rude noise towards Tolrin, glaring at him and trying to look fierce.

"Well, fiesty bugger ain't he? She? Anyways, just shoot at whatever's bother'n the rest and do whatever else ye do. You and me will shoot at a mound a few times, see if someth'n moves. Than the rest engage it per the plan. Lets be about it!"
    Last edited by mshady; 2007-10-28 at 02:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Ralts grins at Lythe, stooping down. He speaks to her in Terran (even though she understands - and speaks - Common just fine).

Spoiler
    Show
    "Lythe, get under the ground and approach those mounds of snow, okay? See what's up with them. Hurry back."

He then straightens up, drawing an arrow from his quiver. "Ready when you are."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kelith

Kelith silently moves into his position and gets ready for the action to come; or inaction.
    Last edited by Tharar_Greenleaf; 2007-10-28 at 03:21 PM.
    "The forest is a dangerous place to those who don't know its secrets, your in luck though because i know them" -Tharar Greenleaf, Ranger, to my weekly D&D group

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Raltise watches as Lythe vanishes under the ground, and frowns slightly "Tolrin, I've sent Lythe to scout underground. Should we wait for her to report back? It should only take a minute.."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Duervar speaks up. "Sir, I think we can establish that whatever these creatures are, they probably are not of the weapon-wielding sort. Most likely, they won't have any ranged weapons. Why don't we get somebody to plug a few arrows into them, flush them out, then we can see what we're up against. Let them come to us, or charge in if things look bad."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Tolrin listens and Raltise and nods.

"Well alright, if it can 'o that, lets see what it can find out 'lthough it's risky and Bundok 'as already departed. Well... maybe its not, I dunno. But aye, lets see. As for 'hem having weapons with range... well... if they did not they'd set up closer to the trail, aye? We have to plow through snow 2 feet deep 'n an incline to get to'em. I'm bett'n one way 'r the other, that ain't an issue to'em... Certainly slow our movement"
    Tolrin stops and thinks a moment.

"So yer suggest'n Duervar... that if Ralt's rock runt can't find or figure out what they are, send a couple folks out to flush'em out? Shoot'em with bows or whatnot? If someth'n does come out, 'han the rest go charg'n up the bloody hill as we discussed? That'd make it me and Ralts out first." Tolrin stops and thinks. "Well, that could work. We wouldn't have a head start on goin' up the hill, but we may not get it either. We might get 'o see what we're facin' first and change our deployment or even fall back if its too much though. More risk fer me and Ralts, less risk for the rest. Maybe. Eh... noth'n certain. Lets wait for the rock runt... I like yer idea though."

As the group discusses and waits for Lythe, Bundok has already set out. Staying close to the side of the rock wall along the trail, he nears the valley. As it opens up to reveal the valley, he enters the valley. Sticking to the jagged rocks and uneven cover along the side of the right hand side of the valley, he begins to move into position. Looking at the two lumps in the snow, he notices no movement.

Bundok will need to roll a hide check again when he gets into position. The location will be determined through PMs

Local Conditions: Movement off the trail is reduced to half speed due to the 2 feet of snow on the ground and the grade. Fatigue checks may also be requested if combat extends. Due to darkness, all those with normal vision have a 20% miss chance. Those with low light vision have a 10% miss chance.

If there is a fight, I will need to be able to get you maps. Unless someone has a website I can upload them to, I would like to distribute them via email IF there is combat. Please PM me the best email address to send the maps to.

Update: Diarmuid has shown me the wonders of Image Shack, so we'll do it that way I think.
    Last edited by mshady; 2007-10-29 at 12:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Arman frowned slightly and looked to Tolrin as they headed towards the lumps in the snow. "Has anyone here given any thought that the lumps may be nothing more than rocks in the snow?"
    Last edited by ArmanMadero; 2007-10-29 at 03:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Tolrin laughs quietly is response to Arman.

"Elf, if they're rocks in the snow that'd be the worse thing of all. As much 's we're here for me to pay our respects, we're also here to clear the path fer the Stone Council com'n here tomorrow. I'd rather be find'n trouble than rocks! But aye... 'hats a good point. I hadn't considered that they're not cleverly disguised enemies but unassum'n boulders. Wouldn't ye all have a laugh about that?"

Tolrin gives Arman a cocky half smile but has a very cold, deadly look in his eyes that betrays him. If anyone assumed by his previous demeanor he was a gentile old dwarf who played at war, that might be dispelled if one looked at him now. The faint tingle of magic beginning to pulse through Tolrin body as he readies himself to unleash it makes Arman's hair tingle. A mage himself, it has numbing yet electric feel to it like he has not experienced before.
    Last edited by mshady; 2007-10-29 at 05:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kelith

{{Waiting on the earth elementals news and the ranged attacks on the boulder to see if anything happens. Still here, just don't have anything to post.}}
    "The forest is a dangerous place to those who don't know its secrets, your in luck though because i know them" -Tharar Greenleaf, Ranger, to my weekly D&D group

18. - Top - End - #78

WolfInSheepsClothing

Magnum is practically bouncing with anticipation/excitement. He eagerly waits for word to start the attack.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Bundok

Hunkering down in his hiding place, Bundok sets his staff down in the snow and begins lining up his crossbow with one of the mounds.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

The map is up for this area. Please let me know if it does not work for you.

For Bundok, please let me know what square you chose to set up in.

This map is topographical. Here is the elevation key.

Brown = Trail
    White = 0 feet
    Grey = 5 feet
    Dark Grey = 10 feet
    Blue = 15 feet,
    Black = Tomb Entrance (It's on the left)
    X = Unidentified Topographical Anomoly (the lumps)

Character Loction: Characters are identified by their first initial, with the exception of Arman Madero who is listed as AM.

All squares but the road are covered in snow, slowing movement speed by half.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4...ailmap1bx1.jpg

Last edited by mshady; 2007-10-31 at 06:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

As Bundok searches for a hiding place and the rest of the group discuss, argue and wait just out of view of the valley, little Lythe is burrowing through the frozen tundra. She was in her element, literally. The young geodite was always eager to please it’s Master and delighted at the opportunity to show those grumpy dwarves what she was capable of. Rock Runt and Stone Poodle were only the more affectionate names she had heard, for while dwarves respected and often allied with earth elementals they were wary of them as well for they often collapsed tunnels.

However tough frozen earth was, it was like paper to an earth elemental and she made better progress than expected (15 ft per round). Finally, she reached the first of the lumps her silly master was concerned about. She hoped they were just big rocks and she’d use the shock of her voice to explode them or roll them down a hill. At first she thought about coming up right in front of one and just touching it, but if it was something mean and nasty, that might well be the end of her. So instead she circled it underground, rising to a higher depth a few inches at a time until she sensed something odd. An odd trench seemed to be right above her, carved into the earth leading up the valley. “How very odd!”, she thought and went far down the trench line and poked her head up at a safe distance. Sure enough, it was a trench and cleverly woven sticks covered it. It all felt like freshly disturbed dirt too. It was wide and 10 feet under the surface.

Submerging into the earth again, she went back to the first mound and approached it carefully. Directly underneath it, she cowered at first and then reached a stony little hand up to it. She hesitated once, twice and a third time but summoned the courage on the fourth attempt. What she found was a large cairn of oddly rounded stone, like she had seen big people like her Ralts throw from big wooden machines.

Very confused now, she was preparing to turn back when she felt something moving. Something very large was moving through the tunnel towards the stones! She immediately panicked! Not daring to stick her little head up to look, she dove deep into the ground and burrowed back to her companion. Over a minute later and having taken far longer to accomplish her task than anyone apparently expected, she poked her head up out of the ground near Ralt’s feet. Pulling herself out of the tunnel, she immediately related what she had seen telepathically to Ralts, too scared and too rough with any language to confidently relate.

If an earth elemental could shake at all, this little geodite certainly was now as she clung to her only friend’s leg with crushing power.
    Last edited by mshady; 2007-10-31 at 07:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Raltise lets out a slight yelp as his geodite companion suddenly latches onto his leg. He stoops down, 'listening' to her explanation while gently stroking the back of her head and making soothing sounds. He looks directly into her eyes as he listens; he doesn't really need to do this (and could, in fact, speak to her from over a mile away), but he tends to do it anyway. Odd...

He stands up after attempting to pry Lythe off. "Those mounds of snow are just rocks. Lythe says they remind her of rocks fired from a catapult... and she also says that there's a tunnel under the ground and something large moving through it." He gives his leg a jerk, trying to dislodge the elemental. "Lythe, would you... let go..."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

After a long moment, the geodite lets go of Ralt's leg and sits down on his haunches not unlike a dog and looks around somewhat bewildered. Tolrin watches the exchange with interest and nods approvingly.

"Well... 'hats interest'n. A deep trench with a pile of boulders at the end? Oh, 'his is gonna be one to make Clangeddin proud..." The dwarf smiles widely to himself. "Lads, what do ye think it is?"

24. - Top - End - #84

WolfInSheepsClothing

"The size of the beast ne'er mattered to me. It might 'ave the little rock scared but I say we can take it."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

"Two mounds, two beasties lad. I reckon they mean to throw dem stones our way. Gett'n up to dem through all dat snow's gonna give'em twice the chance to be doing it so ye best keep yer shields up!"

Tolrin gives his hammer a testing, eager swing through the air.

"We ready?"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kelith
    "I agree with Tolrin, let's start this fire."

Spells Cast
    1st Level- 1 of 7

{{Man those rocks are pretty darn far away, just we better start trudging up}}

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Does Lythe know how long the tunnel is about?"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

The geodite shakes its head in response, indicating it does not. From the looks of it, it doesn't want to find out either.

29. - Top - End - #89

WolfInSheepsClothing

As we start to head towards the mounds Magnum pulls out this shield for protection against the oncoming rocks and begins his prayers to the Father of Battle. "Great Warrior be my shield and my strength"

Spoiler
    Show
    Starting by casting two domain spells.
    First: magic vestment for +1 AC
    Second: Bull's strength
    Last edited by bchilders; 2007-11-01 at 09:51 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

{{Now that everyone is buffed and prepared I would like to vote to go ahead and move us up into range of when 'combat' will start. As far as position goes i'll be near the front, about 10ft behind the front person.}}
    Last edited by Tharar_Greenleaf; 2007-11-03 at 12:27 PM.