New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 167 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5E] Heretic's Bane Icewind Dale

Arum growls and cusses loudly as he tries looks around the battlefield. Sweet runs down his forehead as he gets very worried. Deciding to bring in some backup he casts summon monster 2 again to get another celestial wolf.
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Arman felt elation as the fireball exploded and the monsters within burned. One of the frost giants went down soon after being ignited and moved in the twitches of death. The other frost giant roared its outrage as it felt the stinging fires through its thick shaggy coat, but shrugged it off and sent a glare towards Arman.

Tolrin cast a spell and floated upwards higher as the lightning bolt arced from his fingertips to strike the insect like devil. It shrieked loudly and cast its own spell in response, striking Tolrin with clorful waves of pulsing energy. Tolrin seemed to have been struck hard, for when Arman looked, he seemed out of it like he had just woken up after a hard night of drinking.

Arman looked back to the still alive frost giant. Tough buggers. Arman quickly went through what remained of his spells and picked one that would work for a short bit. Maybe even finish the frost giant...

Fishing out a few items from the pouch at his side, he grabbed a dart in his other hand and made a motion as if he were casting it, feeling the waves of magic course through him. "Saighead de aigéad"

A green arrow appeared as he thrust the dart in an outward motion from the tip, and streaked its way towards the Frost Giant.

Arman casts Melf's Acid Arrow at the remaining Frost Giant

3. - Top - End - #183

WolfInSheepsClothing

Magnum considers for a moment either holding the mouth of the cave or moving to help his comrades. His combination of not being able to sit still and never being able to sit out when there is action to be had causes him to move out toward where Tolrin is floating. His holds up his hands and asks for his gods power once again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Searing light on the Ice Devil or if he is down on the giant. If neither of those options are available he will move toward Tolrin to heal him.

Ranged touch: (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage: (2d8)[12]
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kelith
    AC: 22 (w/Shield of Faith, animalistic power)
    HP: 49/54
    Initiative:16

Kelith heads toward the mouth of the cave now that all the ogres guarding it are dead and lays his hands on Raltise healing him again.

{{Cure Moderate Wounds- (2d8+9)[8][1](18)

And my health is 49, not 47, not sure if it was a typo or if you didn't think I could heal +7. I know regularly you can't get a +7 to a CLW spell but i have a feat that gives a +2 per spell lvl to points healed; even over the max. }}

Spells Cast
    1st- 3 out of 7
    2nd- 2 out of 5
    "The forest is a dangerous place to those who don't know its secrets, your in luck though because i know them" -Tharar Greenleaf, Ranger, to my weekly D&D group

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Lythe charges towards the dangerous goblin mage, now on its feet and over its initial surprise at the geodite’s arrival. Lolloping across the stone towards the goblin, her right fist strikes the goblin hard and the sharp crack of ribs can be heard. The creature stumbles, its eyes roll into the back of its head in pain and howls, grasping its broken ribs before it keels over in the snow unconscious from the pain. Victorious, Lythe pokes it with her stony arm and looks towards the giant and Ice Devil than back to Raltise, unsure of what to do next.

Lythe does 9 pts to the goblin.

As Lythe deals with the goblin mage, Bundok decides to charge the wounded frost giant that is approaching him. The giant watches the angry dwarf running towards him, laughs and takes a mighty swing at the onrushing dwarf and its nearly impossible for him to miss. Bundok’s armor is enough to stop the giant’s axe from splitting him in half but the flashing axe bites through his armor, through his muscles and ribs and tears a bloody furrow right across his chest. Gravely wounded but far from dead or even deterred, Bundok slams his quarterstaff hard into the giant’s gut that nearly doubles over the giant from the force of the blow.

The frost giant’s attack of opportunity does 21 pts to Bundok. Bundok does 17 pts of damage to the frost giant in return.

While Bundok is bravely attacking the giant, Arman withdraws a dart from his belt. Saying the proper arcane words, the dart flies out towards the giant and it turns into a sizzling arrow of acid. Projecting it towards the distant giant with his mind, it strikes the giant’s exposed neck. It screams in pain as the acid sizzles and burns its flesh and the only thing preventing it from being a mortal wound immediately is the giant’s thick neck muscles. The giant bats at the acid with its free hand frantically, trying to make the pain stop but only manages to burn its own hand instead.

Both Duervar and Hjalmar move forwards towards the fray. Hjalmar heads directly for the giant while Duervar moves towards the Ice Devil. Kelith moves south towards the road and Raltise to heal the wounded warrior and almost completely heals him of all his wounds.

Arum, meanwhile, sees the desperate straits that Tolrin is in and calls fourth another summoned wolf. The animal appears in a puff of magical blue smoke with a golden flash far in front of the gnome. It sees the devil and the comparatively diminutive animal charges towards the devil through the snow. While it obviously has no hope of defeating such a foe, the wolf at least hopes to distract the fiend. Raltise, freshly healed, dashes towards the cave mouth and peers inside for a moment to see if anything else will come charging out. Satisfied, he turns and readies his bow for whatever comes next. He is, however, about the only one at the cave mouth.

The wounded giant, seeing the dwarves moving towards his and grievously wounded as it is, decides his best chance of living resides with staying close to the Ice Devil. The giant back peddles away from Bundok and the rest and quaffs a potion as he does so, partially revitalizing the giant yet it still looks to be in sad enough shape it may still die later of its wounds. It coughs and gags as it moves and it wipes a bloody froth away from its mouth.

Seriously wounded, burned and nearly hypothermic from the devil’s ice spell, Tolrin decides to take advantage of his maneuverability and slides back through the air towards Magnum and Duervar. His mountain lion surges forward towards the devil, paralleling Arum’s summoned wolf. Calling out to Magnum, Tolrin yells “Lad, little help with me wounds? I’ve gots me a trick for that their devil. All ye, keep yer distance and careful o’using magic on it. The bloody thing can shrug it off better ‘han a drow! And whatever ye do, don’t touch it! Now ye two get the HELLS back! And would someone please kill 'hat frakking giant!” With that, Tolrin withdraws a scroll and reads from it quickly and a nimbus of blue light envelops him.

Instead of casting a spell at the devil, Magnum moves to heal Tolrin instead. Having to jump to reach his floating leader, Magnum none the less is able to spontaneously convert his searing light spell into a cure medium wounds spell and manages to cure much of Tolrin’s most recent wounds and eases the dwarf’s pain.

Magnum cures 25 HP of damage on Tolrin.

The Ice Devil moves south towards the group, its feet crunching snow and stepping on at least one body, pulping it, as it moves. It utters some foul incantation and chops its now shimmering spear through the air. The spear tears a rift in the air as it moves, causing a fiery wound in the air. The wound widens into what can only be a cylindrical gate to the Hells themselves, and the Ice Devil shrieks and chatters into it. The portal pulses, bulges and widens for a moment than collapses. Much to the devil’s dismay, none come to aid it. It shrieks again in protest and pounds its spear into the ground in frustration and eyes Tolrin, who is floating and grinning at the devil. He yells something back at the devil in its own tongue, which evidently only provokes the creature further. Duervar looks up at Tolrin and yells at him.
    “Ye sure ‘hat was a good idea, Sonnlinor?”
    “No, but it made me feel better! Haha!”

The last remaining goblin looks at the battlefield, the smoke, the corpses and renewing battle. Looking at its own meager weapons and shield, it tosses them aside and runs for hills. Lythe claps and hoots as the creature runs.

Last edited by mshady; 2007-12-20 at 02:03 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186

GnomeWizardGuy

Hearing Tolrin Call, Arum directs his summoned wolf to attack the next closest enemy instead, then casts Summon Monster 1 to get a celestial Badger to help out as well.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Raltise
    AC: 26
    HP: 49/51
    Move: 40ft.

Lythe hears Raltise's voice directly in her mind. This would be odd for any other earth elemental, but Lythe? She's used to it. "Lythe, to me. Help me hold the cavern entrance."

Raltise gets ready to shoot at any enemy that comes too close to the cave mouth. WHich counts as a readied action, I guess.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack! (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage! (1d8+2)[8]
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2007-12-20 at 10:07 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #188

WolfInSheepsClothing

Magnum reaches to his limits to heal Tolrin one more time before following orders and moving out. He moves back in the direction of the cave just to be sure nothing else comes out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Convert a 2nd lvl spell to cure moderate: (2d8+5)[10]
    edit: maybe I'll let you roll my heals because apparently I suck at it
    Last edited by bchilders; 2007-12-20 at 02:51 PM.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Arman let loose a growl of frustration as the Giant took what appeared to be a healing potion. It still looked like it was getting ready to go down. Maybe this next spell would finally help to do it in.

Grabbing a rolled up paper from his pouch along with a small flexible steel rod, he bent it around in a circle and said the words of Art that would form his will from the scroll.

Dofheicthe cruach greim seo arracht

He aimed his spell at the frost Giant and hoped that in combination with the acid arrow, it would soon die.

Casting Hold Monster on the Frost Giant from scroll. Shady check messages please.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Bundok
    AC: 18 (22 vs Giants, -2 charging)
    HP: 36/57
    Initiative: 22

Bundok had barely noticed the axe smashing through his chest, so focused on crushing the giant was he. But as the beast retreated, he felt the dull throbbing and realised it wasnt adrenaline causing him to pant and breathe so heavily, it was likely a bruised lung that he would need to get looked at, and soon.

But before any of that, he was a proud dwarf in service to the Forgesmith and he would finish what he started. Unfortunately, the damn things legs were much longer than his own, and only a brutal charge would bring him within striking distance again and that would leave him vulnerable...better end it fast then.

Spoiler
    Show

Charge to O11, 2-handed attack with Quarterstaff on FG2

Charge Attack - (1d20+11)[26] (+2 Charging, -2 Power Attack included)
    Damage - (1d6+13)[16]

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kelith
    AC: 22 (w/Shield of Faith, animalistic power)
    HP: 49/54
    Initiative:16

If possible i'll make my way to Tolrin and cast Cure Moderate Wounds on him. If I am unable, I will move towards him hoping to get to him the next round. (You can roll the heal for me if i can make it this round, just let me know if i cast a spell).

Spells Cast
    1st- 3 out of 7
    2nd- 3 out of 5
    "The forest is a dangerous place to those who don't know its secrets, your in luck though because i know them" -Tharar Greenleaf, Ranger, to my weekly D&D group

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Lythe looks over at Raltise and at the giant and ice devil and back at Raltise, debating on what to do for a moment. Not a brave one before a fight, the geodite had an odd streak for bravery once she was actually in the fight. Brave but not stupid and out of realistic range of her own magic, Lythe retreats towards Raltise.

Badly wounded in his previous charge, Bundok nearly slew the giant with his quarterstaff. A dwarf slaying a full sized frost giant with a staff is no doubt a rare to unheard of feat, but he was narrowly robbed of such glory. How much punishment can these giants take? How much more could he take? Taking his staff in both hands, he raised it over his shoulder and launched into a reckless charge at the giant once again, following the path in the snow it just plowed for him. Screaming an incoherent battle cry and his vision blurred from the impact and blood loss, Bundok nears the giant and narrows his profile. The frost giant is surprised by the dwarf’s daring lone charge and brings his axe back over his head for a powerful downward sweep at the little dwarf. For the first time all day, the giant smiles…

“You dead, stone eater!” The giant roars and swings his axe at the oncoming dwarf. The axe flashes downwards at Bundok but the timing is slightly off. Instead of cleaving Bundok in half, the axe bites deep into his shoulder and rakes down the side of his chest, cutting chainmail and breaking ribs. The brutal axe’s momentum carries it into his thigh, carving a bloody furrow of flesh. The pain is excruciating to nearly blinding, but his chain shirt kept it from being a mortal wound. The sheer force of the blow staggers Bundok, the breath his driven from his lungs and the pain from breathing in again is incredible, yet the dwarf continues his mad charge. Leaping at the giant, he lands on its outstretched arm as it tries to yank its axe from the tundra and swings his staff with all the strength he has left at the giant’s sizzling neck wound. The quarterstaff swings true and a tremendous slap echoes down the valley as Bundok connects with the fleshy part of giant’s neck. The already abused wound opens up and blood flows freely and the giant’s throat is nearly pulped by the blow. Sliding off the giant’s arm, the giant drops it’s bloody axe and clutches its throat before falling backwards into the snow. Not quite dead yet but well on its way, the giant breathes shallowly and does not otherwise move.

The Frost Giant rolled a 30 on its attack and did 23 pts to Bundok. By contrast, Bundok rolled a 26 and did 16 pts of damage on a power attack.

Arman readies his scroll and watches Bundok’s mad charge into the frost giant’s waiting axe and tries to get his spell off before but is too late. The dwarf somehow survives his charge and fells the giant instead somehow! So instead, looks at the approaching Ice Devil. Taking a deep breath, Arman completes the spell and a shimmering wave of blue energy reaches out from Arman towards the creature. He knows it’s a long shot and knows how resistant to magic large fiends were, but he hoped his command of the weave was flawless and the weave was with him. For a moment, the ice devil turns its head in Arman’s head as the spell connects with the devil’s skull and it brandishes its frightening looking spear at him before it suddenly, inexplicably, blessed freezes in place. That it is frozen yet still glaring at Arman is a bit chilling, especially as he knew it was fully aware of what was going on. Tolrin rotates in midair and looks down at Arman, surprised by what just happened but says nothing. Suddenly, he can feel the devil reach into his mind and speak to him in draconic with surprising intelligence.

It is stupid to distract a devil from its prey. Run, little elf, run for your life! I am coming.

Arman rolls the spell resistance and will save of the giant and lands a Hold Monster against the devil!!

Closer to the trail, Arum summons a second animal into the fight although he knew it could do little more than distract or possibly trip up such a large fiend. Heedless of any such concern, the newly summoned badger bolts towards the devil but doesn’t quite reach it. The wolf, however, does and leaps at the devil’s exposed neck and tries to sinks it’s teeth into the unmoving creature’s tough exoskeleton but it’s bite just isn’t strong enough to harm it. The wolf falls to the ground and shakes its head and looks over at Arum, wondering exactly what it is supposed to do.

“Keep fallin’ back, Sonnlinor?” Duervar yells to Tolrin. Tolrin gestures towards the cave entrance and Duervar falls back, reluctantly. He might not pray to the Gods, but he certainly believed in what was in front of him and no desire to come to grips with it. Bravery had its limits, although Bundok seemed to be stretching those today…

Hjalmar, however, had no such qualms. Now a giant amongst dwarves and no longer encumbered by the snow, the big dwarf charged at the inert devil heedless of Tolrin’s orders. He knew the magic would not cage its mind for long, but he hoped to hurt it badly with this charge and if the magic held just long enough, finish the creature. Touching his holy symbol and uttering a prayer, his hammer glows with divine energy. Rushing forward, Hjalmar brings his hammer back and swings at the Ice Devil’s hip. The hammer smashes into the devil’s hip and pulverizes flesh and bone beneath the powerful blow. Bits of exoskeleton fly through the air and the Ice Devil screams in pain telepathically, nauseating everyone. The devil totters on its crippled leg and blood streams down its bluish scales, sizzling from the divine energy.

Hjalmar uses a smite evil and scores a critical hit on the Ice Devil on a charge, doing 68 pts of damage!!!

As Raltise stands guard at the cave entrance, Tolrin takes advantage of the good fortune. Casting a quick spell, he sends his hammer flying unerringly towards the Ice Devil’s eye. The hammer arcs through the air and strikes the fiend in an explosion of gore and shatters its skull. It totters for a moment and keels over into the snow. Bobbing up and down in the air, Tolrin lets out a victorious whoop as the fiend dies and its body dematerializes in a puff of reddish smoke.

Tolrin casts true strike and scores a critical hit, dealing 57 pts with his hammer.

“Well, here I ‘as getting ready for a real fight and that their devil went down like a gimp goblin!” Tolrin laughs. “Damn good job all ‘round, folks. Bundok, yer a crazy brave bastard! Don’t do that again! Arman, nice work with yer spells and Hjalmar, nice timing on that charge!”

Kelith and Magnum walk up to Tolrin, who is now resting on the ground and use their spells to finish healing his wounds. Looking over towards the way they came, four ogres with shields and axes stand blocking their return. Three of them look towards their leader in indecision and both groups look at each other for a few moments before they break and run.
    “Lads, group up on me and tend yer wounds as best ye can. Someone summoned ‘hat damned devil ‘nd either they’ll be more where ‘hat came from or we’ll be dealing with…. Oh, here we go again…”

An extended horn blast echoes down the valley, louder and longer than the ones prior. Looking around, nothing seems to happen for a minute. Atop the ridgeline to the north, four polar bears covered in what could only be plate drawing an elaborate white sleigh appears, carrying what appears to be someone of human height. The figure dismounts and stands next to the sled and a light appears in their hand, revealing a tall human woman with pale white skin, black hair and fair appearance. She is clearly armored, but wears no furs or any sort of protection from the elements. She holds a fine shield in one hand and what is clearly an axe at her side. The woman addresses the group in a soprano Illuskan.

“My, my you are not what I was expecting. You’ve slain… many of my followers.” The woman looks around. “May the cold cleanse them if they were cowards! Although, perhaps if they stayed, they’d join the rest and what good would they be to me then?” The woman laughs quietly, but the wind carries it down to the group. “I am the Frostmaiden Livius, and you are victorious today.”

The distant woman bows her head in the group’s direction.

“I was asked to go to a great deal of trouble to stop you from coming here today. I sacrificed a great many followers of my followers to do so...” The woman steps forward from the sleigh, looks around and seems to sigh. Picking up a stone, she casts it at the body of a fallen giant. “Oh well.” From behind the rise, two more Frost Giant’s appear wearing plate armor and flank the sleigh. They stand calmly, axe in hand.

“So today is not a… complete waste for me, will you kindly pass on a message for us? Tell the Stone Council of Hundlestone that they have only one protector and remind them the Spine of the World has only one ruler – the cold. In recompense, Auril’s Chosen demands a much larger tribute when they come visit me tomorrow, or they’ll find winter to be much… harder this year. You’ll find me much… easier to satisfy than him if he has to take wing to exact payment. They know me and know I speak truth”

I leave the amount of increase open, but warn them the greater the increase, the greater the penance! You dwarves cannot protect them from the cold or keep the Icewind Pass open in the face of the snows. The Spine is His. Winter is coming. He demands proper respect in Auril’s; respect your arrogant Sonnlinor, Protector of the Dales, should also remember is due. We watch your coming caravan and it is time tolls be paid for passage northward. Resist us and you’ll find our forces are as strong and endless as the oncoming storm.” She laughs lightly and gestures at the battlefield.

“Those earthworks were ever so much trouble for us. Congratulations on defeating my champion, by the way. Oh, and help yourselves to the spoils when I leave; I have no use for the belongings of those who failed me. Rather sends the wrong message to the rest, don’t you think?”

Again, the woman laughs and the giants do as well, although it seems a bit forced. “Do ye have a reply for me today, Ambassador? Your silence surprises me.”

Tolrin steps in front of the group, his face red and he is clearly angry.
    “Oh lass, I got a reply for ye. Yer not going to like it though…” Tolrin brandishes his hammer and swings it through the air casually, its magic leaving an azure trace in the air. The giants tense and the bears turn towards the group, armor clattering and teeth barred.

“As diplomatic as ever, aren’t you Tolrin? You have what you came for, messages have been given and now I ask ye to finish your business and go home. I’ll await your own reply later. A war this does not have to be. Anything else before I depart? Or do ye wish to continue this fight further?”
    Last edited by mshady; 2007-12-28 at 01:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Raltise stays perfectly still and silent, still standing in the mouth of that cave. He hears everything being said, of course; the cold air carries sound rather well. His bow is still drawn, and an arrow still nocked; the arrow is, in fact, pointing directly towards this strange woman's neck. His face is, as usual, a complete blank; eyes glow faintly, the tip of the arrowhead taking an odd blue sheen.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Blessed Mystra! It Worked!! Arman held his breath, afraid that if he let it out the spell would break. He could still feel the Power of the Art sparking in his eyes, as the aftereffects of casting left his bewildered. But not for long. With a startling realization, he knew they had to kill the Devil, and quickly!

It was a chance he had taken, shifting the spell to the Ice Devil. And It was an even bigger chance that it had worked at all.

The resounding words of the Ice Devil stayed in his ears, as he started walking forewards towards where Tolrin, Bundok and the devil were.

Just then Hjalmar and Tolrin both stuck the Ice Devil, and Arman watches as it sinks the the ground, and start to disipate in red smoke.

Congratulations from Tolrin reached his ears as he thanked everyone. Rolling up the rest of his scroll and sticking it back in his pouch, he pulled a slim wand from his belt and used it on himself. Warmth flowed through him as the wands healing powers cured his hurts.

Just as he was about to walk foreward once again, the ogres near the cave entrace ran off, and a loud piercing note split the air. Arman looked in the direction of the note, and watched as a sled drawn by polar bears tops the ridgeline.

Surprise filled his eyes, as one of his favorite stories of childhood came to life in reality. He expected a giant lion at any moment, but snapped out ofit, knowing that the Witch of Narnia, was just a story, and this... well this.. was definately real. Along with her maniacal laughter.

Announcing her name as Frostmaiden Livius, he listened as she demanded tribute from the Stone Council. Arman let the gears of his mind work, not knowing what was going on. Mystra knew, they would probably find out soon enough.

As Frostmaiden Livius talked about Auril's Chosen, Arman wondered. Very few things "took wing" in the cold, and fewer of them lived in it. Arman kept walking towards Tolrin, hoping that his thoughts were not correct on one hand, and wondering if they were on the other.

Moving to Tolrin

Arman soon reached where everyone was gathering and he turns to Bundok.

"Bundok, if you would step closer to me, I can help you without wasting your potions that we may soon need. Anyone else wishing healing, please, step forth."

Using my Healing Wand once on myself, I think that should cure all my wounds, and as many times on Bundok as I need to to cure all his. I will also use it on those who wish healing.

15. - Top - End - #195

GnomeWizardGuy

Arum looks at the woman. He then looks back at Tolrin. He then directs his wolf and badger to get as close to her as possible and stand ready. He also takes this chance to load his crossbow.
    Last edited by Katasi; 2007-12-28 at 03:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Bundok
    Hit Point: 13/57

Bundok allowed himself the briefest of smiles as he watched the giant fall beneath his mighty blow. His mirth did not last long though, as the adrenaline could only hold the pain at bay so long. His breath came in rasps, and his entire side would barely respond to his commands.

Never one to leave things to change he gripped his staff like a spear, and brought it down point first into the eye of the unconscious giant as far as his one arm would allow. Spitting on the thing, he began the tedious process of limping back towards the group.

At the sounds of the new approachers, he knew full well he would be of little help and instead fell as flat as he could, pulling the white outer layer of his cloak over him. He listened intently to the exchange and though he is a brave dwarf, he did not wish to continue this fight this day.

He waited in his hiding place for Tolrin's answer.

Hide - (1d20+4)[8]

17. - Top - End - #197

WolfInSheepsClothing

Magnum

Magnum moved towards the rest of the group and started to make his way towards Bundok but saw that Arman had it under control. He moved to the side of Tolrin standing tall and showing off the size his god had blessed him with. Trying to make it clear to this witch that they were not afraid and not to be messed with.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kelith

Kelith will run to the aid of Bundok with Arman and give him a quick charge from his Wand of Lesser Vigor. Between him and Arman he will help heal whoever needs it, trying to save the rest of his spells for the day for any further battles they might come across.

He constantly keeps a peeked eye out on the Ice Princess, ready for action if it has to come to it; although seeing the shape of his group he would rather it end peacefully.
    Last edited by Tharar_Greenleaf; 2007-12-29 at 02:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Tolrin looks around at the rest of the group, the blood, smoke and the nearly two dozen bodies laying across the battlefield. Gripping his hammer tightly, he looks between the heavily armored giants, the armored bears and the woman and becomes tense.

“I know what you’re thinking, dwarf. Don’t. Your magic is spent, your escort is wounded, you can barely move in this snow… what’s there to gain? Kill me and then the Winter King WILL come and then what? You can’t fight everyone. You can’t fight the winter. This land has many Gods and all require respect if you wish to live in their realm and live in their favor. Is that not unreasonable? Is that not the way of things? I am not asking for your surrender.”

Livius reaches for her axe and holds it at her side and waits patiently as the two groups watch each other warily. Lowering his hammer, Tolrin nods.

“We’re nay as spent as ye think… but not today. I’ll take yer damn message, more to get an explanation o’what in the Hells’ going on though.” Tolrin manages to grind out.

“As wise as you are stubborn. Very well then… another day perhaps?” The woman’s sing-song voice floats through the air but her question carries no real menace.

She waits for any response from Tolrin or the rest of the group for a moment and returns her axe to her belt. Swinging lightly back on to the sleigh, she snaps the reigns twice and the massive bears roar and plunge through the snow, taking Livius back over the ridgeline. The giants both glare at Bundok still after watching him perform a coup de grace on the one fallen giant. One crunches through the snow to check on the other one that Arman’s fireball felled and looks it over. Shaking its head sadly, it stands and kicks some snow on it to cover the worst of its wounds and walks away.

Slinging his shield on his back and putting his hammer back on his belt, Tolrin takes a deep breath and looks down, his eyes closed for just a minute.

“I ‘hink things are a bit more complicated ‘han I thought here. Lot to discuss ‘hen we get back. Check the bodies, see if anything is left alive and keep it that way if ye can. Strip the rest and lets meet in the cave. Arman, Raltise and Lythe, ye three watch over the rest while we do a quick search.”

Tolrin rises into the air and moves towards the ridgeline and floats there until his spell ends, watching the sleigh go and says not a word. As the spell ends, he returns to the cave entrance and sits, clearly lost in thought.
    Last edited by mshady; 2007-12-29 at 04:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Bundok

The battered and bloodied dwarf gladly accepts all forms of healing from his companions.

[ooc] Currently down 44 hit points, will let you all with healing magics figure out best way to spread my burden around, heh. [/ooc]

He trudges through the troughs in the snow already dug by the battle moving and gathering anything he thinks might be of value and drags what he can into a heap for someone else to check for magic. He pries a tooth from each of the ogres and giants that fell and sticks them in a pouch at his side.

[ooc] weapons (though who's going to use any big magical weapons, eh...maybe they can be traded/sold), armor, jewelry, etc...standard battle looting [/ooc]

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Hjalmar

The heavily armored warrior stands his even though the threats are all vanquished. He pays little attention to the lady, standing away in the distance leaning on his great hammer. He isn't fatigued and looks sharp, like the experienced old soldier he is, all the time prepared for any unexpected encounters.

He mutters something to himself and if you'd stand close enough to him you'd hear that it's a prayer.
    "Moradin be praised"

22. - Top - End - #202

WolfInSheepsClothing

Magnum

Magnum makes his way to the cave and pulls out all of his healing potions. When others make their way to the cave he tells them, "Thick 'eaded of me to forget but aye meant to share these with ya before we were set upon. I can make more when we 'ave some down time."

Spoiler
    Show
    I have 8 cure mods...I don't remember how many are still in the party but I'm pretty sure everyone can at least have one. I also have 2 cure serious' if some one has high HP and is a frontliner. Just let me know what you take so I can mark it off. Don't be shy...I'll make more when we stop next.

23. - Top - End - #203

GnomeWizardGuy

Unworried about his wounds, Arum goes about the battlefield searching for loot and survivors. He takes anything he finds that might be worth something. He searches for any equipment from his opponents, including the most mundane of clothing and puts it all in a pile that he can pick and choose from later, coins he just slips into his pouch. If he has time he will consider taking body parts- teeth, hairs, and if given the chance he will open them up to take out the hearts and any other internal organs he thinks might be able to be sold to mages or trophy collectors, or used as spell components for himself.

[um, I don't mean to complain, but do we get XP for this battle?]
    Last edited by Katasi; 2007-12-31 at 08:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Arman watched Livius go with a sigh of relief. He wasn't sure how much more spells he could cast and not comprimise himself. With a tired nod to Bundok, he waves him over and starts using the wand of healing on him.

After the healing was done he keeps a lookout while the rest do their search, and take everything to the cave.
    Last edited by ArmanMadero; 2008-01-01 at 04:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kelith

Kelith will heal whoever comes to him with his wand of lesser vigor, then help gather the equipment and loot off the dead enemies. ((Just tell me how many charges i need to subtract total from my wand and i'll do it)).

"So after we rest we continue our trip I assume? Hopefully that will be the last we see of Mother Frost and her minions this trip. Just glad to see everyone made it out alive."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

OOC - hi folks, I'll have a post up tonight. Sorry for the delay - holidays and family, etc. I'm sure we're all in the same boat to a similar degree. I'll be including info on your XP and loot.

In regards to rewarding the Xp and such, feel free to PM me if you feeling anything to date has resulted in personal growth, learned something, learned new tactics, etc, etc to date.

MShady
    Last edited by mshady; 2008-01-02 at 01:22 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

OOC - I learned that when your hair gets into a bowl of Malt O Meal... its REALLY hard to get out....LOL

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

The group scours the battlefield, with members searching the bloodied, broken and smoldering corpses various enemies that just ambushed them. The remains are searched for maps, information and, of course, valuables. Bundok takes several trophies from the ogre mage and frost giant that he somehow had slain, but only after his wounds are taken care of by his friends. Bundok and Arum work their way up the battlefield and meet at the fallen ogre mage, where both take their trophies. Bundok, having already taken a tooth from the frost giant, takes a second one from charred ogre’s head. Arum takes a much more methodical approach. With a pair of pliers, he pulls out most of the ogre’s useful remaining teeth and uses a small saw to cut its horns as well. He next cuts two Vs in the ogre’s arm and lets some of the blood drain into a series of jars he kept in his satchel, taking several minutes. Having filled the jars and muttering about spell components, he continues. Spreading the ogre’s arms and legs out wide, he cuts open the ogre’s chest cavity with his quick razor and breaks open its rib cage with a rock before cutting out the creature’s enormous heart. He then skins the creature; the leather made from their thick, rubbery skin having a multitude of uses. After he completes butchering the ogre mage, he takes the hearts of the two giants and a swath of skin from them as well to experiment with. Wiping the blood from his hands in the cold snow, the little gnome grins and returns to the cave entrance with his grisly load. As the loot is collected and Arum works, Tolrin indicates all the loot needs to be brought to a pile and for him to look at before it is hauled back to Hundlestone. He explains this is not the place to be figuring that kind of thing out.

As part of that search, it is discovered that three of enemies are actually still alive. One after another, Duervar binds and drags the unconscious foes over to the mouth of the cave. The three prisoners include the goblin mage, one of the goblin worg riders and an ogre. Tolrin looks over the prisoners and takes a blackened battleaxe from his bag of holding. Clearly adamantine, it is none the less nicked and seen heavy use somewhere before.

Turning to Duervar, he says “Good job, lad. We take the two goblins back to interrogate.” Taking two small healing potions from his bandolier, he roughly pries open their mouths and pours the potions down their throats. The worg rider revives immediately and struggles briefly before Duervar kicks him in the back. Tolrin quickly follows the potion up with an old sock and jams it in the goblin’s mouth. When it revives, the groggy creature looks terrified but has the intelligence to offer no resistance. Looking at the big ogre, Tolrin taps it with his foot and it groans from the pressure. Frowning momentarily, he stands parallel to the creature and decapitates it with his axe. Wiping the blood off with a cloth, Tolrin shrugs and explains.

“That big brute’s too dumb to know anything and was too far gone. Too big to drag back too; liable to drag someone off a cliff. Take ‘hat black axe and take the heads o’the rest of’em. Bring’em here and spit’em all on those lances from dem worg riders. We’ll be show’n these to the Stone Council, I reckon. I’m gonna head into the cave and pray while the rest o’ye finish up. Be quick ‘bout it, we ‘ave to get back before dark.”

Turning, with a sour, troubled look on his face, Tolrin disappears into the cave and does not return for 15 minutes or so while the party continues its search. During that time, Bundok looks at the entrenchments the giants were hiding in originally as he explores the area. Without really going into it, he sees enough to tell that it looks like it is part of a large, crude bunker that might include several underground rooms; likely where some of the creatures may have lived.
    The pile of loot in front of the cave quickly grows as several party members drop things into the pile. Several bags of gold are found and a handful of gems and rings, some clearly having more than ornamental value. Weapons, armor and shields are also dropped off, along with a cloak, a pair of boots, an amulet, a wand of some kind, a spell book and some other documents. The pile specifically includes…

1 x Large Greatsword (unidentified magic)
    3 x Large Greataxes (unidentified magic)
    3 x MW Shortswords
    1 x Magic Shortsword
    2 x MW Battleaxes
    1 x Magic Mace
    3 x Magic Rings
    1 x Magic Cloak
    1 x Magic Amulet
    1 x Large Mithril Chainmail (magic)
    1 x MW Large Breastplate
    1 x Small Robe (Magic)
    24 x Thunderstones
    7 x Tanglefoot bags
    7 x Caltrops bags
    4 x Gems
    1 x Spellbook
    4 x Scrolls (stinking cloud, mage armor, summon monster III and glitterdust)
    8 x Cure Medium Wounds potions
    3 x Cure Critical Wounds potions
    Approx 2000 in gold coins or equivalents
    50 feet of hemp rope

As Duervar and Arum complete their butcher work, the entire party returns to the mouth of the cave and examines the tidy little pile they have collected and await Tolrin’s return. Several minutes later, the group can hear him returning from inside the cave. They can hear his voice as well as the voice of one other, yet the footfalls of many as Tolrin converses with what can only be a dwarf, but one of a rather unusual accent. Stepping forward into the dim light, Tolrin smiles slightly and gestures towards the five duergar that are with him, all heavily armored.

“I’d like ye to see who ye just risked yer lives here to allow me to see and ye probably just saved. This ‘ere is Thordek Stonebreaker, a Duergar yes but also a fellow priest o’Moradin.” Tolrin smiles and the two embrace each other warmly. “I was here to pray and such like I said, but also for a quiet place to see me old friend who comes bearing news from the Underdark from time to time; something ye must guard with yer lives. “ Tolrin says, sounding grim and very serious about this point.
    “Introductions ‘re in order though before we depart. Sonnlinor Thordek, I present to ye my travelling companions. Arum the Battle Curser, Bundok the Giantbane… with a bloody stick too! Arman Madero, also a mage. Duervar, the longest serving here from the old Clan, Hjalmar from the Great Rift and a mighty paladin o’Moradin that’d make Taark Shanat proud and Magnum, a cleric o’the Father o’Battle.” Looking towards Kelith, Raltise and Lythe, Tolrin continues. “The fellow all in red be Kelith, a priest o’Kossuth. The other be Raltise Siprite… he’s.. new with me, a fancy fellow ‘nd that elemental by Lythe. And o’course, ye know my cat well.” Both Tolrin and Thordek laugh at the last part, sharing some kind of private joke.

Stepping forward, Thordek looks over the group and smiles. The dwarf is considerably older than Tolrin and has dark grey skin and a grey half beard but is otherwise bald as an egg. His eyes have the look of a constant worrier. He seems like someone who lived in constant danger and was thoroughly enjoying a brief respite from it. His armor is clearly of a duergar make; very practical, painted flat gray with no ornamentation yet cleverly designed. His escort is similarly equipped. Taking the hand of each member and embracing them in turn, he stands in front of them and finally addresses them.

“My… apologies if I do not introduce me escort, aye? The less ye know, the better for now. If ye continue with Tolrin Jilker though, likely meet again we will I think. I felt it only right to thank ye personally for saving our lives. Likely when they finish outside, they search deep inside for plunder and take us as well, these strange followers o’the Cold God. Tolrin says ye fought well and better, all survived. A great feat o’arms Clangeddin no doubt admires.” Thordek speaks in a husky, gravelly voice and looks at each member, judging their reactions.
    “The service ye give to the Patriarchate, to Patriarch Hignar and to Moradin, tis an important thing no matter yer reasons for doing it. His hope to unite the dwarves o’north and south, to band together is an admirable goal, yes it is. All faithful should be united, together, for common cause against the darkness. Against old evils and heresies against the ways of the Dwarf; a danger I fear you may meet all too soon and sacrifice for. For the dwarves among you, ask yourselves in what place is your heart? Is your faith strong? Why do you have faith. The answer is all around you, whenever you look at your fellow dwarf. Belief in kin and kinship is the start of faith, and always know our Gods support that yet know we must bring into our Halls all who would join us, yet cast out all who oppose.” Thordek fingers a holy symbol hanging from his neck and bows his head slightly, reverently, before continuing.

“Yer wondering why a Duergar addresses you such, aye?” He looks around the group for a moment. “We are dwarves too, and have been from the start. Our people fought to form the first dwarven empire of Shanatar. Our God part of the Moradinsamman, the pantheon of the dwarves. Our home Barakuir fell; Clan Duergar was enslaved for thousands of years and we drifted from the family. Some o’my kin, most, nearly all are… misguided and full of bitterness, yet unquestioning as is our way. Once, we are all one. One day, it may be again. Someone must start us down that path and I am thankful for the Patriarch’s support of this as well, blessed be his name.” Thordek bows his head again and steps back.

Looking over at the two prisoners, a thought occurs to Tolrin suddenly and he smiles wickedly.

“Thordek, would ye mind doin’ me a favor? Them two goblins, the one with the sock ‘s a mage. Would ye mind tak’n them with ye and interrogat’n them? Maybe let yer psionist deal with’em? I wanna know who they are, where their den is and all ‘bout this Livius that ye can and what is goin’ on between them and Hundlestone. Someth’n don’t sit right with me.”

Thordek nods his head. “So it shall be. What we learn you shall know as soon as we are able.”

Tolrin looks at the two goblins, smiles and tosses one and then the other roughly at the feet of one of the duergar escorts. The dwarf has unnaturally bright blue eyes and smiles at the two goblins, obviously terrified.

“Thank ye Thordek. I reckon it’s time we all depart. Anyone see ‘nything interest’n in the pile and look’n ‘round the area?” Tolrin looks around at the party as Thordek’s escorts drag the goblins into the gloom of the cave with Thordek in tow. Before he disappears, the duergar says goodbye to Tolrin, who smiles and waves, then returns to eying the pile.

Experience Awards

All party members earned enough XP for level 6.

29. - Top - End - #209

GnomeWizardGuy

Arum finishes getting his prizes from the bodies and buries them a bit in snow to help preserve them. Then he goes over to the pile and looks in it. He looks around. "How do we want to split this up?" he asks. Do we want to give out what's in here to whoever can use it, sell the stuff we can't use, like that big armor and weapons and split all the gold evenly or do we want to just all of us grab what we like?

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

"Quite a pile, eh?" Tolrin smiles, amused. "Now's not the place for deciding though. Do that back in town, I reckon."