The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 94
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Awful's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    "I don't think you'd be a bad mentor!"
    Maria shook her head boldly to emphasise her statement.
    "Senpai is much the same - where I can make weaponry, she can make invincible shields to protect others. She can't fly at the speed of sound or punch through mountains... but I might be baised, but I think she's made a wonderful mentor. You're one of the biggest heroes in Halcyon city! The fact you're doing this is proof enough you think you can, at least somewhere in you!

    I'm only a little surprised you haven't met. She does spend most of her time hunting the Demalions... I guess there isn't much overlap between what you and she does. I'm sure she'll want to meet you at some point, just to make sure you're treating me well and all that. She's very protective of everyone she knows."
    The petite magical girl smiled fondly. "And everyone she doesn't, to be truthful."

    Facet approached and struck up a conversation with Shatterstar, and the Munitions Maiden couldn't help but smile back at the grin on Facet's expression. She hid it with another sip of orange juice.
    "For what it's worth, I think she's already got one friend she can trust. Right?" She smiled more openly at Facet.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    "Really?" Saki replies and began looking around the room for her friend. "Is it the silly alien? No he hasn't made any friends outside of the mirror yet. Maybe the boy who won't tell me his name? Oh of course, the other child of the endless struggle between light and dark!" and she skips off a few steps towards Kid Collier before stopping and turning around to stick her tongue out at Maria.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Awful's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    "Oh-ho! I see how it is," Maria replied in a faux-outraged tone. "I guess he must be the one I was talking about, absolutely."
    She fought back a giggle and gave her best stern, severe expression, planting her hands on her hips. It was much like being scowled at by a puppy.
    "Coincidentally, did you know you're going to have a rubber bullet richocet accidentally catch you on the butt next time there's a fight? Total accident, of course. Could have come from anyone."
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Foreigner took sometime after Abe cleared his question up about Veteran, sooner or later he would have to talk with him anyway. But he wasn't looking forward to it, the last time they had seen each other it was in no uncertain terms that Veteran stated he did not like Foreigner and even more so didn't think he was deserving of being a hero. "No thats all I had to ask. Thank you."

    "Is it the silly alien? No he hasn't made any friends outside of the mirror yet." Foreigner put away his fold up mirror that he just so happened to be using to touch his hair up a bit. "Hey I resent that. Not cool." Noticing that Facet was heading toward the window with Arthropod and Kid Collier, Foreigner decided to float over to the window to see what all the fuss was about. He saw an adoring crowd cheering him on, instinctively he brought up his hand to wave much like a king greeting his subject, he still struggled with reading so he didn't bother reading the signs. "A welcoming party so soon? I thought it would take some more time for them to show up." The acknowledgement from the public was just what he needed to get his mind of Foreigner.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    After hearing KCs advice, Jackson freezes up, and then takes on a grim expression.If I knew what the... organizers as you called them... wanted, I would be able to understand a lot more than I do now. Half the time they act all cynical and make it out like they’re just riling up the mob against any scapegoat that gets them power, but then she says something that makes you think she hates you just as much as the mob and she’s just being more cunning about it.

    Before Arthropod can follow that train of thought, he is interrupted by Maria and Saki fake-bickering. He starts smiling again and plays along. If we keep fighting like this, I fear we may never know the identity of the ‘trustworthy friend’ among us. It could be anyone? And yes, the people with signs telling us to get out and go home are definitely here to welcome us.

    He looks more closely at the crowd again, looking specifically at the ones dressed like various guardians. That guy dressed exactly like you are might be a fan of yours though.

    When his dramatic gesturing at the ‘conflict’ taking root in his team finishes, he turns back to KC with a look of gratitude. Thanks for the advice though. Really. Although ‘find the organizers and deduce their motives’ isn’t the advice I expected to get from the ‘country boy just trying to do right’. You’re more cunning than people give you credit for.
    Last edited by Quagmire; 2019-10-12 at 09:26 PM.
    I go by They/Them pronouns, BTW.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Saki laughed at Maria's retort and might have rebutted the threat to her posterior, had not the others butted in. She laughed at their remarks as well, but what Arthropod said made her curious enough to go over to the window to see what he was talking about. Seeing the aforementioned sign she gives a loud snort of amusement and says, "Yes. Yes. Maybe I should just go down there and thank that man for his advice and that I'll be going home..... and that I'll be seeing him next week with a.... suitable gift for his advice." and she snickers while wringing her hands in absurd fake-villainous fashion.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DaedalusMkV's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    At the Window: Everybody
    As the entire team gathers at the window, looking down into the crowds below, Lopez snorts and looks at Arthropod. "Kid, your mask is slipping. Might want to practice pretending you don't know Councillor Hale, if you don't want rumours starting." At least she kept it quiet, instead of shouting...



    Not long after, Captain Shatterstar loudly clears his throat, catching everyone's attention. Surprisingly, Ferriqueen and Abe are both standing alongside him. "I've just received word from Regal, in the watch station, that we have reports of a disturbance at the Halcyon Aquarium. It's definitely metahuman activity, with sightings of multiple clearly non-human bipeds and several 9/11 calls from civilians in the area. I think this is a great opportunity for all of you to get out there, as a team, and make your presence felt. Ferriqueen will provide you with your communicators, and anyone who needs transportation can borrow one of our hoversleds." Considering the aquarium is only about a mile away, you might be able to run there at human speeds. Maybe. It probably wouldn't be a lot of fun, if you wanted to be on time. "I'll be on hand if you need help, but I have total confidence that you can handle the situation. By the time you're on the way, Abe should be back up in the watch station and ready to provide you information and support as needed."

    The Captain smiles, a slightly predatory grin on his face. "I look forwards to seeing just what you can do."

    Even before he's finished talking, Ferriqueen opens what looks like a storage compartment built into her armour's chestplate and retrieves a handful of small devices, then holds them out to you. Observant individuals might notice Honest Abe heading towards the doors at a brisk pace as she does. "Put these in your ears. Right or left, it doesn't matter. They'll reshape themselves to fit regardless. Activate them by pushing on them, state the name of the person you want to speak to, then speak. They will pick up any sound from you, even the slightest whisper, perfectly and also perfectly direct sound into your ear-drum, making them nearly impossible to eavesdrop on." If a computer-generated voice can sound smug, Ferriqueen easily achieves it. "You will never find a better system for its size. There are advanced commands as well. I will provide you with the documentation later."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    It looks like you have your first mission as a team.

    What do you do?
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Facet looks at the window and notices the lack of means to open it enough that a person or multiple persons could leave through it. Then she glances up and down thinking about the time it would take to get to an exit and quickly determines they'd lose unnecessary time doing so just to travel such a short distance.
    She puts the earpiece in her left ear with her left hand and with her right places The Eye of Terros Crayg back upon her head. It's makeshift HUD flickers to life and immediately integrates with the new detected device.
    Even as her systems are exiting sleep mode and she puts her gauntlets back on she's reaching out with her magical senses and connecting to the energies of the magical artifact she's using as a helmet and feels out at the space in front of her. She places her left hand directly onto the window and just tries to temporarily shove the space of a good sized rectangle of the window in front of her open as if it were a door.
    For a moment she's elated at her success and then the next overcome by a wave of guilt thinking about how this wasn't her property to do with as she pleases and how if it had gone badly someone, maybe her allies or maybe the protesters below, might have gotten hurt. She then mentally shoves these emotions to the side for now. What's done is done and they've got places to go.

    Before anyone can react to the fact that she just opened a door that was a closed window ("Wasn't that one of those religious sayings?" she thought to herself), she created a pane of her signature magical energy and force and just..... shoved herself and her teammates out of the window. She did so at a slight angle so that Kid Collier was first through, then Anrthropod, then Maria, then Foreigner (him in the back of everyone else since it would be really dangerous if he just panic reacted by floating and people collided into him, but she could just shove him along), and finally herself. As soon as they're all out the door/window it closes and resumes it's previous existence as a part of space in the place in space it's supposed to be in.
    As they fell she created a decently long section of half pipe at a slight downwards incline beneath them. And continued doing so, making them curve as needed, just before Kid Collier would reach the edge of the current one and a moment after the one behind her would vanish, all the way to the aquarium.

    "Please keep all limbs inside the ride!" she shouts to the others.


    Unleash your Powers: (2d6+1)[8]
    Marking Guilty
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-10-15 at 12:30 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Jackson was slightly panicking. Lopez just saw through the whole secret identity thing way too easily. But on the other hand, she seemed like she was trying to help him keep it concealed, which was good. Glancing to see if anyone else heard, Jackson conspicuously adjusted the helmet on his face.
    Thanks, I didn’t notice. I’ll try to get it fixed. Then Shatterstar called the team back to tell them about their mission. Jackson walked over, happy that the topic had changed before anyone else overheard.

    He listens closely to Shatterstar’s briefing and starts wondering about what could be happening. Probably fish people. It’s something non-humanoid at an aquarium, so fish people seems most likely. When Ferriqueen hands him the communicator, he takes it quickly. Wow, these are like really advanced tech. He seems impressed by Ferriqueens description, and he starts to put his on.
    So, what’s the plan for transportation? I know M has her portal-things and Foreigner has a spaceship, but what’s the plan for the rest of us?

    Then Facet answers his question. The force hits him before he can finish putting the communicator on inside his helmet. He flails around somewhat, trying to hold his helmet on and continue putting in the earpiece. Ok wait what wait what now? Jackson eventually gets his hand out of his helmet and stabilized himself. That’s... one way of doing it, I suppose.

    Arthropod thought about it for a bit, wondering if Facet even thought about the fact that she didn’t ask anyone before doing this. She had been joking about how people saw her as a villain just a few seconds ago, but as soon as her helmet went on she coldly shoved her teammates out a window.
    Last edited by Quagmire; 2019-10-15 at 12:48 AM.
    I go by They/Them pronouns, BTW.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2018

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Quote Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
    So, what’s the plan for transportation? I know M has her portal-things and Foreigner has a spaceship, but what’s the plan for the rest of us?
    Adjusting his own earpiece, KC says, "I have my biiiiiiiiiiiiyaaaaaaaaaah!" Caught off-guard by Facet's...energy slide, he panics briefly and struggles to gain some semblance of control of limb and emotions. Then, as he recaptures his dignity, he begins to feel the thrill of the ride and lets out a rebel yell with each twist and turn.

    "Woo-hoooooo!"
    Last edited by seatyger; 2019-10-16 at 11:29 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Foreigner debated which ear to put the device in, would it distort his ear a bit? Would it be visible? Would he want it in shots on his good angle or hide it on not to ruin the even better angle? These were all extremely important when considering the placement that he had not even thought to pull up his spaceship before he was thrust out a window.

    Taken off guard by the ethereal slide he was now soaring through the sky in he struggled to get his ear device in. I guess the right ear will do for now, and proceeded to try and peak his head over to continue greeting the adoring crowd below. "I think I'm too high up for them too see but maybe they will give some feedback on this ear placement tomorrow. Now that I think about it the left ear would look better wouldn't it?" He had only just then thought of the spaceship they could have used instead, of course he was having too much fun on this slide to care all too much plus he had done some work on redecorating it and didn't want to show it off too early anyway.

    "Ha haaa" Foreigner let out in enjoyment of the ride. Certainly being able to float helps in disregarding the dangerous nature of it.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-10-15 at 02:27 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Awful's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    M4 had slotted in the communicator and fought back a shiver at the bizarre sensation of the tiny machine wriggling and reshaping itself within her ear canal when abruptly she was pushed through a window that had temporarily become an ex-window.

    What wasn't immediately obvious about Maria's powers was her increased sense of balance. Indeed, her fighting skills were impossibly good - and part of that was her ability to find her feet in almost any situation.

    As she slid, she adjusted her balance until she was standing, legs slight bent for balance. A glowing green weapon formed in her hands and solidified instantly into the shape of a rifle.

    One hand raised to her ear to test out the communicator, and after a quick muttered team, she spoke:

    "Halt us round the corner from the aquarium - we'll come in on foot!"
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DaedalusMkV's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Sliding Through Downtown Halcyon: Everyone
    Facet's stunt might have been spur-of-the-moment, but it's certainly effective. Those calm enough to pay attention to their surroundings can hear a mix of cheering and boos coming from the square below you. Right, this path totally takes you directly over the protestors below. Well, at least they'll have something to talk about now, instead of just waving signs around. Facet's temporary slide keeps everyone moving at a pretty quick pace, though it obviously can only last so long before you run out of 'down' to go considering you didn't start terribly high up in the first place. By the time you're at the point that you'd be skimming across the traffic you're only a couple of blocks away from the Aquarium, and it just makes sense to finish with the sliding and get to running. A few minutes later, the Junior Guardians officially arrive on the scene!

    It's immediately obvious that not everything is right here at the Halcyon Aquarium. The familiar two-storey building occupies a pretty decent parcel of land on the waterfront, with a fairly nicely maintained park around it, and it's a pretty popular place for families to spend time on the weekend for obvious reasons. Instead of children playing in the park and crowds milling in front of the aquarium itself, though, you see a small river of people fleeing the entrance to the building, and a small scattering of individuals darting across the park towards the city proper. It looks like most of the civilians have already fled the area, and whoever - or whatever- is in the aquarium proper isn't preventing people from leaving, but is scary enough to send the crowd fleeing at a pretty solid pace.

    As you approach, a familiar voice comes over the team's communicators. "Can you hear me, Junior Guardians? This is Abe. It looks like you're nearly there; excellent work." A pause for a few seconds. "It looks like I can't access the security feeds for the Aquarium. There have been several 9/11 calls, mostly referencing some sort of fish-people attacking. It... Also looks like there are several reports describing a vampire present at the facility. Descriptions are inconsistent. Regardless, it's clear that whoever is responsible for the attack declared that they had planted bombs in the aquarium, and threatened to detonate them if the people in the area did not flee within a short time frame. That detail remains consistent."

    You can't see any threats from here, but a bomb threat and fish-people (or possibly vampires) attacking certainly seems like the sort of thing that would put people in a panic. What do you do?
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    "We should all stay close in case the bomb threat is real. I think I could protect a limited area from an explosion. Though I suppose I should ask, is anyone here explosion-proof?" Facet asks, because now she's asking about things.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    "Don't worry citizens the heroes are, ... HERE!" as Foreigner said here he raise his arms to represent grandure hoping it would calm the fleeing masses.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-10-17 at 03:58 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2018

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    "I'm pretty tough, though I don't know if I'm 'bomb big enough to blow up the aquarium' tough," KC says as he buckles the chinstrap on his helmet and lowers his goggles. "Be interesting to find out, in a terrifying sort of way."

    Pausing to watch Foreigner's introduction to his fleeing masses, KC adds, "Shall we go through the front door, or try to find another way in?"

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Arthropod
    Spoiler: Labels&stuff
    Show

    Danger:+0
    Freak: -1
    Savior: +0
    Superior: +1
    Mundane: +3
    Conditions:

    Potential: 1/5


    As arthropod disembarks from the slide, he raises his arms and starts running to the aquarium. He activates his powers and any insects in the vicinity receive a command to follow him. He hoped there were enough bugs in the bits of dirt under the sidewalks between where the slide ended and the aquarium to make a decent swarm out of.

    I’m not exactly explosion-proof, but my suit is thick enough to hopefully be vampire-proof. Hey Abe, if you’re on here, could you look up out how to defuse a bomb? Because I’ve got a feeling one of us might have to do that soon. I’m not sure about the front door approach, if their bomb threat is legit we don’t want to walk into a trap.

    He looks over the crowd in case anyone seems injured while waiting for the team to come to a consensus about what course of action to take.
    Last edited by Quagmire; 2019-10-18 at 11:31 AM.
    I go by They/Them pronouns, BTW.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Awful's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Maria casually tossed her rifle over her shoulder, and it dissolved into green motes before it hit the ground. Instead a speargun formed in her hands.
    "I'm not really immune to anything, but my vest," she tapped a hand on her kevlar webbing, "Can stop a pistol-calibre round. But not a bomb."

    She looked through the fleeing crowd for any evil fishmen, vampires, or vampiric fishmen.
    "That they wanted all the civilians out means that attacking people isn't their goal - so they must want something else. Do any of you have something that might let us detect the explosives - if there are any?"

    After she received an answer, she put a finger to her communicator.
    "Abe, can you tell us how many entrances there are to the aquarium, and where they are relative to us?"
    Last edited by Awful; 2019-10-18 at 07:28 PM.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DaedalusMkV's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    In the Park: Everyone

    As you arrive on the scene and Foreigner makes his announcement, a few of the braver (or more curious) citizens stop in your general vicinity to gawk. One even cheers you on, shouting "Go get the weird vampire doctor!" before turning around and continuing to put distance between himself and the aquarium. Interestingly, none of the fleeing civilians seem to be injured.

    Abe responds first to Arthropod's question. "Yes, Arthropod. If necessary, I will connect you with an expert in that field. The HCPD bomb squad has already been averted and are on their way to the scene, along with the emergency response team. If you need to disarm an explosive yourself, you will have the best available support. Ideally, you can neutralize whoever is threatening the area and allow those experts to dispose of the bombs themselves."

    In response to Maria, he takes a few moments. "According to available floor plans, there are only two primary entrances, one on either side of the building, leading to the central lobby. The nearest entrance to you should be quite obvious." He's correct; a paved path a little bit to the left of the team leads directly to a set of steps and a very visible set of glass doors. "In addition, there are twelve emergency exits regularly placed along all three wings, and one loading dock on the far side of the structure. Those entryways are likely secured, but if you feel it safer I can direct you to them. Alternatively, one exhibit in the west wing is open to the air. If you are capable of clearing an 18-foot enclosing wall, you could enter that way."
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    "I can easily get us into the open air area. Arthropod, can you have some flies and other inconspicuous insects look around?" Facet says, realizing that Kid Collier hasn't already taken charge like she expected he would and so decides to do so herself.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Arthropod
    Spoiler: Labels&stuff
    Show

    Danger:+0
    Freak: -1
    Savior: +0
    Superior: +1
    Mundane: +3
    Conditions:

    Potential: 1/5


    Jackson takes in what Abe says as he watches the aquarium. When Facet decides to take charge he begins to get somewhat annoyed. First she pushes everyone out a window without asking, and now she’s decided that she’s the team leader. I’ll get to the scouting at once, ‘your majesty’

    Jackson replies with a more biting tone that the teams usual joking about Facet being evil. He does follow the direction though, walking to the west wing and getting ready to observe it. He raises his hands in the air, directing a few unassuming bugs over the wall and taking control of any very close to the other side. Once he has a few bugs on the other side, he tries to ignore his own senses to focus of the brief flickers in the back of his mind that are his connection to his insects senses. If he manages to do so and get some bugs over, he tells the rest of the team what he see.

    Unleash your powers: (2d6-1)[9]

    When you unleash your powers to overcome an obstacle, reshape your environment, or extend your senses, roll + Freak. On a hit, you do it. On a 7-9, mark a condition or the GM will tell you how the effect is unstable or temporary.
    Last edited by Quagmire; 2019-10-20 at 11:06 PM.
    I go by They/Them pronouns, BTW.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DaedalusMkV's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Scouting the way: Arthropod
    You send your insect volunteers creeping (and buzzing) up the wall and into the enclosure. A large central pool dominates the area, with arena-style seating covering one side and the exterior walls the other. What looks like a pair of whales circle the water below you, though the vision of your insects isn't particularly well-suited to looking through the surface of water with the noonday sun reflected in it. Regardless, not spotting any sign of the shark-men you were told about, you send the insects down to get a better view, spotting two entrances leading into the west wing of the aquarium, both sets of doors closed. In addition, what looks like one of the staff members is huddled in a small enclosure near the exterior wall, which you can probably guess is a staff area dedicated to caring for the (possible) whales in the pool, and through the left entrance a pair of hulking figures seem to be standing against one wall, perhaps keeping watch over the area.

    It is, needless to say, a surprise to everyone when a blaring voice comes over the exterior speakers, easy for both Arthropod's miniscule minions to hear (and slightly more muted for the rest of the team, who are quite a bit farther away. "Do not zhink I do not zee you out zhere, heroes! I tire of vhaiting! Come inside and faze ze wrath of Dr. Acula!" The voice sounds pretty much like what you'd expect a stereotypical Vampire to sound like, straight out of one of those old monster movies. The fact that, following the announcement, the PA system begins playing what sounds distinctly like music from a pipe organ, does very little to dispel the cheesy pop-culture vampire image.

    The distraction does nothing good for Arthropod's concentration, however, and by the time he thinks to re-exert control over the bugs, he can't locate the ones he used. Unfortunate. He'd almost certainly need to round up a new set and wait for them to make their way inside if he wanted to scout any further.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2018

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    KC shakes his head. "Great; I feel like we've been dropped in one of my dad's Saturday B-movie marathons," he says to no one in particular. Turning to face the others, he adds, "Let's help get the rest of the civilians out of the building without too much trampling, then see about this vampire; I wonder if he's more Lee or Cushing..."

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Arthropod
    Spoiler: Labels&stuff
    Show

    Danger:+0
    Freak: -1
    Savior: +0
    Superior: +1
    Mundane: +3
    Conditions:

    Potential: 1/5


    Jackson relays what he sees, before being interrupted by the speakers. He is clearly surprised by the sudden announcement and steps back to join the rest of the team.

    Ok I think that signals the end of our scouting. I think going over the wall is our best bet.

    As Jackson listens to KC’s response, he realizes something and whispers under his mask. He hopes the comms can pick it up but whatever Acula is using to spy can’t. I like that plan, but from the message, it seemed like that knockoff Dracula is specifically looking a fight. If some of us keep him occupied, that might help the others rescue the civilians and find the bomb.

    Arthropod then waits for a response from someone, and braces himself in case Facet decides to transport the team again.
    I go by They/Them pronouns, BTW.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Facet wonders why Anthropod has chosen this moment to give this particular nickname. She doesn't get much farther with that thought when suddenly someone is a cheesy movie vampire and this is her life now?

    "I would probably be better as part of the distraction team. My current abilities and technology lend themselves more readily to physical confrontation than finding people or bombs. If you find one and feel like one of us must make an attempt to dismantle it, please let me know. I haven't worked with explosives before, though I have made some things explode. At the very least I could try and contain or shield people from a blast." Facet answers, thinking this is a good plan.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    All this waiting around wasn't good for Foreigner with a bomb and no action that could cause him some stress. Stress causes wrinkles you know? And then a person with a remarkably strange accent came over the radio. What country could that be from? He hadn't heard something like that before. Perhaps alien? That could be nice if most species out in the galaxy weren't either bullies or just too disgusting to look at.

    He turned to the adoring audience striking a pose. "Say, none of you would know where the bomb is at the moment right? If you could give me any information on that I would be sooo appreciative." Making himself seem even more attractive may have been over the top but on his planet that how you get things done as a young guy.

    Spoiler: Roll: Assess the situation
    Show
    (2d6+2)[6] Well hey thats potential maybe Foreigner will learn looks won't get him everywhere in life.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-10-22 at 03:38 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Awful's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Maria nodded. She was excited despite - or perhaps because of - the higher stakes, bouncing on the balls of her feet.

    "I have good knowledge of explosives. If it comes down to it, I could try disarming then pretty well. If a bomb even exists."

    She cocked her head as she listened to the stereotypical vampire voice.
    "Do you reckon he's a vampire squid...? Anyway, let's get in there!"
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Arthropod
    Spoiler: Labels&stuff
    Show

    Danger:+0
    Freak: -1
    Savior: +0
    Superior: +1
    Mundane: +3
    Conditions:

    Potential: 1/5


    Facet, you’re right. Your powers should be able to keep him occupied.

    He considers Maria’s response before quickly coming to a decision. Explosives are your specialty, but so are guns and fighting the supernatural. I’m not sure if vampires and emotion-demon-things are the same, but I do think you’re the best one to fight them.Subtlety is good but the primary goal is dealing with the vampire and for that we need your firepower.

    Arthropod considers who else to put in which group when he suddenly realizes that he has taken over the unofficial pseudo-leadership position. He glances quickly at Facet to make sure she isn’t upset and then finishes his plan.

    Foreigner, I know you’ll want to be on the team that’s fighting the doctor, and if he isn’t a squid he might be weak to your light-powers. KC, that leaves you with me. You’re the closest to explosion-proof it it comes to that, and you’re an established hero so that might help with the civilians. I know I’ve been mistaken for a hostile before. So Facet, Maria, and Foreigner locate and take down the doctor while KC and I help any civilians and try to locate the bomb. If we find it we tell one of the more tech-savvy people or the bomb squad. If everyone agrees, then I think we’re ready for Facet to send team stealth over the wall.

    Arthropod looks around nervously in case anyone has any suggestions or takes issue with his plan. He starts to wonder how he should feel about this, he was expecting M4 or KC to take charge, they were the ones with training from established heroes.
    I go by They/Them pronouns, BTW.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Facet just nods, clearly as fine with receiving orders as she was with giving them. She waves her hand over in the direction of the wall the stealth group need to get over and then there appears several dozen panels forming a stairway in the air going from the ground to the top of the wall. The panels themselves look vaguely like oversized piano keys, even alternating white and black.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-10-22 at 10:24 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DaedalusMkV's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

    Playing to the Crowd: Foreigner
    Foreigner turns to face his adoring audience, striking a pose... But hears no response. It takes a moment for him to realize something's wrong, and as he looks around he comes to a horrible realization. There is no adoring crowd. Nobody answered him because nobody was looking at him. The last of the civilians fleeing the aquarium ran past a few moments ago, and they didn't stop running. Nobody's watching, except maybe the weird-sounding guy on the PA system and the rest of the Junior Guardians. For some reason the humans weren't reassured enough by Foreigner's glorious presence to stay and watch.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •