The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default #LFG d&d5e need DM and players.

Hi all. I've recently been introduced to the Critical Role podcast and have become absolutely enamoured with it. So much so that I'm interested in trying 5e despite having not played any version other than 3.5 or AD&D. I've got lots of experience, but none in this version.

All I know is I want to play a Tiefling Bard.

Big16 Added (@TriciaOso as DM)
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 5.0

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Homebrewed campaign, at about an early Age of Sail / precolonialism era of history. Not far off from a 'traditional fantasy' realm, but with some deviations:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    3-4 would probably be fine.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    These Forums; DnDBeyond for character creation and sheets

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    My inclination is 3rd level, but I'm open to conversation.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Starting equipment plus 100 gold

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    No preferences; no homebrew. I am open to working most ideas into the setting.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    All the races I have available in DnDBeyond are possible, although some may takes some thought on how to integrate.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Point buy

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Alignment is for spells and spell affects, and sometimes useful for thinking about/discussing character motivations. It's not a straitjacket.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    No problems.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Players make their own rolls on the honor system; what's the point in cheating at make believe?

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Potions as a bonus action is a good optional rule. I don't have anything else in mind.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Some kind of background will help me figure out how to motivate your character and plug you into a suitable scenario.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Some fighting, some roleplaying; maybe puzzles if they make sense, but this isn't Myst.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Any sources on DnDBeyond; I've only got a few.
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2019-10-04 at 09:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: #LFG d&d5e

I am with you, if someone takes up the challenge. May I suggest that you change the thread title and put something like DM Wanted on it?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: #LFG d&d5e need DM and players.

I could possibly DM. To clarify, were you looking for a game set in Exandria specifically, or just to use 5e?

4. - Top - End - #4

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TriciaOso View Post
    I could possibly DM. To clarify, were you looking for a game set in Exandria specifically, or just to use 5e?
    I don't know the settings. I just want to exodeinkence this format.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Okay! I have the Critical Role Tal'dorei campaign guide but I don't know it super well, and I've got a homebrew setting that I'd like to develop some other corners of.

If we get another couple of people interested in playing, I could probably DM. I have experience with text RP and experience with 5e but not at the same time, but I'd be willing to try.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2019-10-04 at 01:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I am interested, and 3 drinks is also. So that's a start.

May I suggest a fast-paced game? PbP games take a long time to level up and many games fizzle because people lose interest. May I suggest a game where the party is small, levels quickly and where the players agree to post daily or once every two days?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Sounds fine to me! I do think we should have at least one other person, if not 2.

I like to use DnDBeyond for character creation and tracking; that way I can share my 5e books with the group, along with other advantages. Point buy is preferred. Since you and 3drinks are both not-totally-new to D&D, I'd suggest starting around level 3 or 5, but I'm flexible on that point.

https://ddb.ac/campaigns/join/670825940108323

I also have a bunch of setting information I prepped for other campaigns but I'll hold off on posting it for now.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2019-10-04 at 02:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds fine to me! I do think we should have at least one other person, if not 2.

I like to use DnDBeyond for character creation and tracking; that way I can share my 5e books with the group, along with other advantages. Point buy is preferred.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/campaigns/670825

I also have a bunch of setting information I prepped for other campaigns but I'll hold off on posting it for now.
    So, it seems we need an invite to join this. Also, perhaps you should create a Big 16 and a recruitment thread so that we get more people? So far we have a bard and I have several ideas for a character.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yeah, my bad; I put up the wrong link:

I'll work on the Big 16 and if this thread doesn't pick up another person or two we can make a new one.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, my bad; I put up the wrong link:

I'll work on the Big 16 and if this thread doesn't pick up another person or two we can make a new one.
    Perfect thanks! I think I will wait to see what the campaign is before I think up a character.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 5.0

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Homebrewed campaign, at about an early Age of Sail / precolonialism era of history. Not far off from a 'traditional fantasy' realm, but with some deviations:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    3-4 would probably be fine.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    These Forums; DnDBeyond for character creation and sheets

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    My inclination is 3rd level, but I'm open to conversation.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Starting equipment plus 100 gold

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    No preferences; no homebrew. I am open to working most ideas into the setting.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    All the races I have available in DnDBeyond are possible, although some may takes some thought on how to integrate.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Point buy

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Alignment is for spells and spell affects, and sometimes useful for thinking about/discussing character motivations. It's not a straitjacket.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    No problems.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Players make their own rolls on the honor system; what's the point in cheating at make believe?

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Potions as a bonus action is a good optional rule. I don't have anything else in mind.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Some kind of background will help me figure out how to motivate your character and plug you into a suitable scenario.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Some fighting, some roleplaying; maybe puzzles if they make sense, but this isn't Myst.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Any sources on DnDBeyond; I've only got a few.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2019-10-04 at 03:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    Perfect thanks! I think I will wait to see what the campaign is before I think up a character.
    Haha, I was leaving the campaign concept open until I had more details about what people wanted to do. We'll all accommodate each other to death.

Here's a starting concept:

Cyndia is the largest, richest city of the free west, at the head of all routes out of Solus and a center for trading with nearby city-states and principalities. With no standing army and a city guard paid directly by the individual guilds as they need law enforcement, mercenaries and adventurers are often employed by the burgomaster to troubleshoot problems that don't quite fit. You are a somewhat experienced team of adventurers, in the big town for the first time after an early career fighting monsters and bandits in the sticks.

The initial job has to do with the smuggling of the illithid narcotic known as ink...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Haha, I was leaving the campaign concept open until I had more details about what people wanted to do. We'll all accommodate each other to death.

Here's a starting concept:

Cyndia is the largest, richest city of the free west, at the head of all routes out of Solus and a center for trading with nearby city-states and principalities. With no standing army and a city guard paid directly by the individual guilds as they need law enforcement, mercenaries and adventurers are often employed by the burgomaster to troubleshoot problems that don't quite fit. You are a somewhat experienced team of adventurers, in the big town for the first time after an early career fighting monsters and bandits in the sticks.

The initial job has to do with the smuggling of the illithid narcotic known as ink...
    Again, thanks for this.I am perfectly open to any concept. I just wanted to know a few things, so that I don't, for example, make an urbanite elite wizard in a campaign about dwarven barbarians or something.

Third level is fine by me, also! As for a character, I am thinking a hexblade, but I am still working on it. Thanks!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Interested in playing a dwarven Paladino's. Will work on getting him done, just got dnd beyond so I need to figure out how it works. ddb.ac/characters/17369382/SUQJmJ
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2019-10-04 at 04:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    Interested in playing a dwarven Paladino's. Will work on getting him done, just got dnd beyond so I need to figure out how it works.
    Great! I sent you a DM with some setting-specific info about dwarves.

16. - Top - End - #16

let's hope that worked.
    Spoiler: character
    Show
    ddb.ac/characters/17369382/SUQJmJ
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2019-10-04 at 04:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

let's hope that worked.
    Spoiler: character
    Show
    ddb.ac/characters/17369382/SUQJmJ
    It does! You can join the campaign with this link: https://ddb.ac/campaigns/join/670825940108323

and add Stone to the group.

18. - Top - End - #18

Thanks, first time using that dndbeyond, how much is it to get more features?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Thanks, first time using that dndbeyond, how much is it to get more features?
    What other features did you have in mind? It's main use is for character building and quick reference to information. Now that you are part of our campaign, you will have access to anything from the books I have already bought on the site (or stuff I have bought piecemeal out of books). You should see more options for your Oath now, for instance.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2019-10-04 at 04:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

This still accepting players? I'm exploring getting back into D&D and wouldn't mind a game geared towards progression at all ... haven't read through the thread to see all the submissions, but either a Barbarian or a Monk type would be fun to play ...
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-10-04 at 06:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    This still accepting players? I'm exploringgetting back into D&D and wouldn't mind a game geared towards progression at all ... haven't read through the thread to see all the submissions, but either a Barbarian or a Monk type would be fun to play ...
    Sure, I don't want to do more than 4 but one more should be okay, as long as you can stick to the principles we discussed above (or just look in the OOC thread.

Which, I made an OOC thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...3#post24185393
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2019-10-04 at 04:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Well dang, I was keeping an eye on this to see if a DM stopped by, and when I get here you have your four.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

23. - Top - End - #23

What other features did you have in mind? It's main use is for character building and quick reference to information. Now that you are part of our campaign, you will have access to anything from the books I have already bought on the site (or stuff I have bought piecemeal out of books). You should see more options for your Oath now, for instance.
    I will look into it, first time playing a paladin. I will look around at the site and look at the different oaths. I could go oath of vengeance but I am going to keep oath of devotion.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2019-10-04 at 06:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Well dang, I was keeping an eye on this to see if a DM stopped by, and when I get here you have your four.
    Sorry Lentrax! We can definitely put you on a backup/standby list.

25. - Top - End - #25

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wow this blew up while I slept (I work overnights). What is d&d beyond? I typically just use a pdf of the phb and mythweavers to host my sheet. For setting, I could create a discord channel to play in if thats easier to post in?

Is lv3 gonna be okay given I've never experienced v5?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 3drinks View Post
    Wow this blew up while I slept (I work overnights). What is d&d beyond? I typically just use a pdf of the phb and mythweavers to host my sheet.
    D&D Beyond is a website that you can use for free with a built-in character builder tool and hot-linked reference materials including web-ready versions of the books. You can buy the books through the site or even purchase specific stuff from a book a la carte. They sponsor season 2 of Critical Role, so you will hear all about them eventually!

It's very handy; the trick is that you have to buy the books again to use them, so if you've already invested in 5e it can feel like a ripoff. BUT the cool thing is, everyone in a campaign shares all the books that anyone in the campaign has. I have the PHB, the DM Guide, Xanathar's Guide to Everything and bits and pieces of a few others.

The link to our campaign is here: https://ddb.ac/campaigns/join/670825940108323
    If you follow that it will prompt you to create an account and then a character and you can build it step-by-step. You may have to re-click the link once you create an account, though.

For setting, I could create a discord channel to play in if thats easier to post in?
    I'm open to whatever; I was expected to just play by post on the forums, but either way.

I think so! 5e is not that different from earlier editions, except that it's more streamlined. The key thing about level 3 is that it's the point when you pick a subclass to differentiate your character. Given that you already know you want to play a tiefling bard, that's your next major decision point anyway.

My first 5e character was level 5. What I did is, I built up the character one level at a time and made sure I felt comfortable with the mechanics for each level before adding one. The character builder lays out character features and decision points linearly, which makes it easy. Once you join the campaign, you can also review the progression and all the subclass options here: https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/bard

My RL campaign is all with people who have never played before, so I am used to explaining; feel free to ask questions.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2019-10-04 at 10:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3drinks View Post
    Wow this blew up while I slept (I work overnights). What is d&d beyond? I typically just use a pdf of the phb and mythweavers to host my sheet. For setting, I could create a discord channel to play in if thats easier to post in?

I also had the impression that it was going to be here.

28. - Top - End - #28

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    I also had the impression that it was going to be here.
    Oh, playing here is fine, honestly. I did some research into this "D&D Beyond" thing and it looks like a paywall? Screw that lol, I'm not paying for some hosting service when Mythweavers does it for me.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

There is no paywall with dndbeyond. It's free unless you want to purchase content or run a campaign.

30. - Top - End - #30

GreataxeFighterGuy

My sheet is mostly done, I need to choose spells but I have to get ready for work.