New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [Prestige class] Don't piss me off, I'll explode.

ELDRITCH BOMBARDIER
    The eldritch bombardier is a warrior so full of destructive passion that when she flies into a rage it can literally blast out of her, dealing grievous harm to all within range. She charges into battle alone, heedless of her own safety — but mindful, perhaps, of the damage her blasts could do to allies as well as enemies.
    Hit Die: d12.

Requirements
    To qualify to become an eldritch bombardier, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
    Alignment: Any chaotic.
    Base Attack Bonus: +7.
    Skills: Intimidation 3 ranks.
    Feats: Endurance, Power Attack.
    Special: Rage class ability.

Class Skills
    The eldritch bombardier's class skills (and the ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
    Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

THE ELDRITCH BOMBARDIER
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Eldritch bombardment 6d6

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Extra raging

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Eldritch bombardment 7d6

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Flattening bombardment

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Eldritch bombardment 8d6

6th|+6|+5|+2|+2|Damage reduction 3/—, extra raging

7th|+7|+5|+2|+2|Eldritch bombardment 9d6

8th|+8|+6|+2|+2|Expulsive bombardment

9th|+9|+6|+3|+2|Eldritch bombardment 10d6

10th|+10|+7|+3|+3|Damage reduction 6/—, extra raging[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the eldritch bombardier.
    Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Eldritch bombardiers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light and medium armour, and with shields.
    Eldritch Bombardment (Su): During her rage, an eldritch bombardier can let her anger boil over into an invisible pulse of eldritch energy, dealing 6d6 untyped damage + her Constitution bonus (+1d6 at every odd-numbered level, no save) to all characters, including allies, within a 20-foot radius of her. Any character who takes damage from the pulse must furthermore succeed at a Fortitude save (DC = 10 + level) or become both exhausted and nauseated. Characters who make their saves are merely fatigued and sickened. This attack automatically ends the bombardier's rage and leaves her both fatigued (unless she has the tireless rage class feature) and sickened.
    Extra Raging (Ex): At 2nd level, 6th level, and 10th level, an eldritch bombardier gains the ability to rage one additional time per day.
    Flattening Bombardment (Su): At 4th level and higher, an eldritch bombardier's eldritch bombardment knocks down characters who fail their Fortitude save as though it were a wind emanating from her, except that the victims' size is irrelevant.
    Damage Reduction (Ex): At 6th level, an eldritch bombardier gains damage reduction 3/—, rising to 6/— at 10th level.
    Expulsive Bombardment (Su): At 8th level and higher, an eldritch bombardier's eldritch bombardment blows away characters who fail their Fortitude save as though it were a wind emanating from her, except that the victims' size is irrelevant. Characters who make their Fortitude save are knocked down instead.
    Last edited by NakedCelt; 2007-12-16 at 08:29 PM. Reason: toughening up

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Prestige class] Don't piss me off, I'll explode.

Does the eldrich blast hit the Rager as well?

I like the idea, I think it should "usually" end the rage (1-5 on d6) but that on a 6 the rage is extended instead.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I don't know many of the builder books very well but doesn't the Warlock class shoot Eldritch blasts? If so doesn't that present some ability name conflictions.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, it should probably be changed.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by olelia View Post
    I don't know many of the builder books very well but doesn't the Warlock class shoot Eldritch blasts? If so doesn't that present some ability name conflictions.
    Yes indeed — that's where I got the idea. Only whereas the warlock shoots eldritch blasts at specific opponents, one-on-one, the bombardier fires them indiscriminately at all and sundry. To the victim, the result is the same: untyped hit point damage. I did allow the bombardier's targets a Fortitude save, though, since (unlike the warlock, who I believe has to make a ranged touch attack) she's going to be automatically hitting them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Since we have now agreed upon that it is not eldritch blast but a "variant" per se why not name it like Eldritch Explosion...since thats seems to be exactly whats its doing?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Paging Mr. Nitro, your gig has been copyed.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

instead of DR/-, it should be DR/cold iron, since they are chaotic, and that's what the warlock has.
    you might want to make the requirements include Eldritch blast 1d6. and the save should be 10+the level of the bombarder+chr modifier
    I like the Idea of it too.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

You know, as written this gives an extra 6d6 of EB for a warlock who dips into it. It stacks, even though the written effects are different. It would also let you do that with your warlock EB.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz_the_Wizard View Post
    You know, as written this gives an extra 6d6 of EB for a warlock who dips into it. It stacks, even though the written effects are different. It would also let you do that with your warlock EB.
    Good point. I'll change it.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by NakedCelt View Post
    Flattening Bombardment (Su): At 4th level and higher, an eldritch bombardier's eldritch bombardment knocks down characters who fail their Fortitude save as though it were a wind emanating from her, except that the victims' size is irrelevant.
    Expulsive Bombardment (Su): At 8th level and higher, an eldritch bombardier's eldritch bombardment blows away characters who fail their Fortitude save as though it were a wind emanating from her, except that the victims' size is irrelevant. Characters who make their Fortitude save are knocked down instead.
    I'd suggest that you limit the knockdown size category to one higher than the Eldritch Bombadier's own size for flattening, and then by the time they gain expulsive it can affect two size categories higher.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-10-17 at 03:01 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Wow, this is really really weak. Over ten levels, your most powerful ability is roughly the same a one fireball with the explosive spell feat applied to it, once per encounter and for the rest of that encounter, you're useless.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Nebo_ View Post
    Wow, this is really really weak. Over ten levels, your most powerful ability is roughly the same a one fireball with the explosive spell feat applied to it, once per encounter and for the rest of that encounter, you're useless.
    Agreed. Elrdritch blast definitely needs a damage bonus, as it is.. in most situations a greataxe chop would deal more damage.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Changed Eldritch Bombardment; it's much more powerful now. Have I gone too far the other way?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like this class a lot, especially since I love playing unthinking beat-em-up. Just a couple quick things:

On Elderitch Bombardment; radius of 20 feet? I might go with up to 5 feet per class level, while no less than 2 feet per class level (partials are rounded up - 2 ft at level 1 = 1 square). Allow the character to choose, or roll a d100 if you feel evil.

Also, could the character blow up everything in front of him/her? Throw in an ability - mid level? - that allows the character to force his/her rage into a cone (same length as radius, if you like my above suggestion), but takes some penalties... con loss, hp reduced (fractions?), maybe even passed out, etc.

Either way, good job with this.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17

I like this. I don't like the requirements including 1d6 eldritch blast, because then you have to build a character just for this prestige class. And I hate that.

But it's an excellent barbarian Prc. I also like the idea of a 20% chance for the rage continuing. Maybe 20% plus 5% per class level?

Also, I get the impression that this DR is similar to the barbarian DR, and as such shouldn't be DR/cold iron. But hey, whatever.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

I was imagining, how it would look like, if this EB would charge into BBEG. Kinda reminded me Matrix III .

For overpowering fluff, you could add Shatter effects to the blast. In higher levels, of cource :). And say..... only when charging?
    Last edited by Merlon; 2007-12-18 at 08:14 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Merlon View Post
    I was imagining, how it would look like, if this EB would charge into BBEG. Kinda reminded me Matrix III .

For overpowering fluff, you could add Shatter effects to the blast. In higher levels, of cource :). And say..... only when charging?
    I think that this would be a nice touch. Perhaps we could also add that an EB would be able to do an Eldritch Blast instead of raging, in that, a daily alloted rage is consumed for a more powerful EB. In addition to this limiting factor, you could also stack EBs, where instead of using 1 Rage allotment you could use 2 to do perhaps double or more damage in the EB. Just a thought.