New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Race Unleashed (Project)

So I'm one of the many people who don't think they are going to like 4.0 from what I've been reading. This has lead me to reevaluate DND and if I want to keep playing it at all. After looking over a few other systems that are popular I've deiced that I like DND core system when it comes down to it, the game needs a little revamping but hey thats fine I have no issue with house rules and homebrew they normally only make the game better if they are well done.

The issue I wish to address here is races. I like having the option of having many races in DND in fact I really like games in which the plane is infinite or there are many planes and there for can have an unlimited number of races. Issue here is simple with the power restrictions of an LA 0 its hard to make races look different. All bonuses are small and fade into the background after a few levels. My idea to combat this is to increase what LA 0 is. Effectively I will be making all races of the players handbook and some new races as if they were LA +1 but with out the level adjustment.

Now here is were you come in I want your help with this project because I want to do justice to the PHB races and like I said I like lots of races. So Bring me your Pink Elf and your wolf men.

Its time for the races of DND to be different from each other and this is were it starts:

Humans
    * +2 Any ability, +2 Any other ability
    * Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    * Human base land speed is 30 feet.
    * 1 extra feat at 1st level.
    * 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level. Humans may select two class skills to become permanent class skills.
    * Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
    * Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Humans are should be the most diverse and blandest race. They are highly customizable and in the long run this should make them both the base of all other races and in a way the weakest race. Yes you can do what ever with a human but they are not built for one specific niche. This should in a way be a weakness as other races will have heaver focuses on other areas in addition.

I will now try to make an Orc Balanced against the Human:

Orc:
    * +4 Strength, -2 Dexterity +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma.
    * An orc’s base land speed is 30 feet.
    * +2 Natural Armor.
    * Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    * All Orcs have survival as a Class skill.
    * +2 on Survival and Intimidate.
    * Orcs Treat Orc Double Axes as Martial weapons and Gain proficiency with the hand and battle axe.
    * Automatic Languages: Common, Orc. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, Undercommon.
    * Favored Class: Barbarian.

Orcs are strong and have tough bodies. There bodies are not flexible but there naturally tick skin makes up for this, slow movement in battle. Orcs do not have much in the way of education and most of the time do not like to talk, however many orc tribes try to live in harmony with nature giving them perspective on the world others may not see. As a race Orcs are trained for battle and to survive.

Please critique and add.
    [url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53501]

50 Unconfirmed Rumors About 4th Ed!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Race Unleashed (Project)

It's interesting to note that in the Dark Sun Campaign, all races have at least a +1 level adjustment; if they're used outside the campaign anyway.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Race Unleashed (Project)

The human stats are at least partly based off the Dark Sun setting but I really don't care for the rest of the racial stats. The heavy focus on psionics in the setting makes them inappropriate for more "normal" settings.

Well now for my take on what the stats for Elves and Dwarfs should be:

Elves:
    * +4 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution.
    * Medium: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    * Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
    * Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +4 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
    * Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    * Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats. Elves may select one of these weapons to gain the benefits of the weapon focus feat.
    * +4 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
    * Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.
    * Favored Class: Wizard. A multiclass elf’s wizard class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Dwarfs
    * +4 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma.
    * Medium: As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    * Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
    * Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
    * Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
    * Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons. Dwarves gain weapon focus with all axes.
    * Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    * +4 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
    * +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
    * +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids.
    * +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
    * +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
    * +4 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
    * Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
    * Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass dwarf’s fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing

As always feed back good and bad are welcome.
    [url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53501]

50 Unconfirmed Rumors About 4th Ed!