New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Is Minrah a character from one of the kickstarter pledges?

I just thought, "she feels a bit like someone else's character". Any word?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Is Minrah a character from one of the kickstarter pledges?

As far as im aware, there was only one of those, and she has already appeared in the comic.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    As far as im aware, there was only one of those, and she has already appeared in the comic.
    So what I hear you saying is that Minrah is actually Veldrina.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    We are all Veldrina on this blessed day.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Now that you mentioned I don't Believe we have ever seen Veldrina and Minrah in the same room. Hmmm.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Now that you mentioned I don't Believe we have ever seen Veldrina and Minrah in the same room. Hmmm.
    To make matters worse, we also never seen Veldrina or Minrah in the same room with Redcloak's niece or the MitD!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

what you are probably sensing is that Minrah, like Bandana , is an important secondary character that was developed after the writer figured out their plot. while the original order of the Stick, Xykon and Redcloak were created for gags and then important characterization and plot built around that.

we also know that the writer is a Planner, not a pantser

https://www.wired.com/story/game-of-...s-vs-pantsers/

So both , among other characters , are cases of " i need someone to fulfill this narrative role" and then he proceeds to connect the dots. Alot of people have guessed that Minrah is going to be very important because even if she doesnt have the full snarl gate story thing down she is the only one besides Durkon who got Thor's special info. offhandedly if i were to write it myself i'd probably have her targeted , since she's low lvl, and interrogated in a zone of truth by readcloak, allowing him to find out the truth, since Redcloak and everyone associated will prob try to kill the original team on sight.

And there are a variety of ways one could go about those narrative beats in an entirely different way.

look at other characters, including those who've been introduced already but not characterized till now. Loki, Thor, Bandana Minrah, Sigdi, all of them have had 3 dimensional characterization that is unrecognizable compared to the characters depicted in the first book of the comic.

She's just the first one to try to join the party . As great as bandana is i'm sure alot of us still have her filed under "supporting cast npc", while Minrah is the first one skirting the line.

and yea if the kickstarter for 1 cameo was 5k and she was in like...15 or so comic pages, then i imagine getting a character on the main crew would be upwards of more than anyone here can donate (and if anyone can, i could use like... a spare 100$ for my car payment)
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    To make matters worse, we also never seen Veldrina or Minrah in the same room with Redcloak's niece or the MitD!
    All three are under the umbrella. The two yellow eyes are actually Minrah and Redcloak's nieces Lantern Archons. Xykon thinks they're scary because nothing is scarier than the Crack Pairings thread.
    Also, Minrah doesn't feel as outsidery as Veldrina, Rich didn't announce Minrah as a cameo character like Veldrina and Wrecan, and if I recall correctly, only one pledge to have a cameo character was available (Wrecan being a special case).
    Finally, the person who paid for Veldrina was waiting for years to appear in the comic, and that was back in 2016. If someone had been waiting for Minrah, that's another couple of years tacked onto that. There'd be *some* recognition of the wait time, as there was with Veldrina.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Cerlis View Post
    and yea if the kickstarter for 1 cameo was 5k and she was in like...15 or so comic pages, then i imagine getting a character on the main crew would be upwards of more than anyone here can donate (and if anyone can, i could use like... a spare 100$ for my car payment)
    IIRC, the cameo was originally supposed to be a walk-on for a single page. But then The Giant realized Veldrina could be fitted into a larger slot in the story and expanded the cameo, which also meant a longer waiting time. I don't Think the amount of Money donated had any influence on the size of the part.
    For reference, this is what the Giant posted when Veldrina and Wrecan were introduced:
    5/18/2015
    Back when I ran the Kickstarter campaign, the top reward was a walk-on cameo for a D&D character of your creation. It's taken a while, but today I fulfilled that reward in strip #986. Veldrina the elven priestess is the creation of one of my loyal backers and has been included here at their request. In fact, upon hearing the character's description for the first time, I immediately decided to slot her into an existing spot in the upcoming story where a divine caster would make the most sense, so she will be sticking around a bit more than the one page that was paid for. It just took a long time to get to this specific point in the narrative, though luckily the backer has been very gracious and patient for this entire time. So enjoy the first-ever fan-created OOTS character for however long she's here.
    I also fulfilled another promise with today's strip, if a less joyous one. Mark Monack, who went by the screen name "Wrecan," was a pillar of the message board community for many years. He was, among his other roles, the founder of one of the forum's odder traditions: counting the number of strips each character appears in, a project that continues many years after he began it. When he passed in 2013, I asked his wife Jodie if there was anything I could do to help out. She told me he would have loved nothing more than to have a walk-on character named Wrecan in OOTS. Now, there is one.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

To add. There was only one (1) walk-on cameo reward. Don't quote me on that but I actually think it wasn't entirely seriously made. Like all Kickstarters had similarly "silly" top rewards at the time, and I guess may still do.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cerlis View Post
    what you are probably sensing is that Minrah, like Bandana , is an important secondary character that was developed after the writer figured out their plot. while the original order of the Stick, Xykon and Redcloak were created for gags and then important characterization and plot built around that.

we also know that the writer is a Planner, not a pantser

https://www.wired.com/story/game-of-...s-vs-pantsers/
    That's a great link, thanks for that. It put a finger on a few things that had been bothering me with Martin falling in love with his pile of secondary characters.

As to Minrah: she seems organic to me, despite the "voice" she's displayed so far seeming to be a little clunky. (But that may be on purpose)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-10-04 at 08:41 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

In a way, I think Minrah fulfills the same narrative role as Kazumi and Dago: She's a reminder that every incidental character in a story is still a full person, and they all have their own complete stories, even if they intersect only tangentially with the one that's being told. But the irony, of course, is that you can't show the story of a character tangential to the main story, because as soon as you show it, they cease to be tangential.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    In a way, I think Minrah fulfills the same narrative role as Kazumi and Dago: She's a reminder that every incidental character in a story is still a full person, and they all have their own complete stories, even if they intersect only tangentially with the one that's being told. But the irony, of course, is that you can't show the story of a character tangential to the main story, because as soon as you show it, they cease to be tangential.
    Which always seemed to me to be the root of Robert Jordan's descent into madness and more books (Waste of Time) than the story ever needed ... but I really like the point that you make.

She's a reminder that every incidental character in a story is still a full person, and they all have their own complete stories, even if they intersect only tangentially with the one that's being told.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-11-07 at 03:21 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society