The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 62
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default New titles that aren't awful!

    So .. there's all sorts of threads for old games. I started one myself, focussing on roguelikes. But realistically, there must be people out there, even in this day and age, who make non-retro, brand new, shiny games that aren't utter drek.

    Right?

    The latest actually new games I played, completed and liked are, sadly, Stellaris and Tyranny. Which is ironic, since I consider Paradox to be absolute villains (for their endless-expansions-money-cow business practice).

    Can anyone do better, I wonder?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Hollow Knight is an amazing metroidvania.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Hollow Knight is an amazing metroidvania.
    So is Bloodstained.

    Battlefleet Gothic is a solid RTS with a solid campaign and fantastic visuals.

    There are a lot of decent-looking indie games coming up like Dual Gear and Phantom Brigade.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

    Factotum Variants!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danzibr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Back forty.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Hollow Knight is an amazing metroidvania.
    Oh dang. First game that comes to mind for me, and itís the first comment.

    Cosmic Star Heroine came out not too long ago, fun retro RPG.

    Beyond that... havenít been playing any new games.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tail of the Bellcurve
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    The end of this summer/beginning of fall has been packed with goodness.

    Gears 5
    I suppose in one sense this is sort of retro, because you don't level anything up, there's no randomly generated loot, and there's a list of like a dozen or so entirely delightfully varied and ridiculous guns. It's hella good though; like the best possible version of a game from 2007. Gorgeous, plays like a dream, is far smarter than a game featuring chainsaw bayoneting a dude in the groin has any right to be, and lays on interesting and spectacular setpiece fights with a degree of competence that makes it look easy.

    Age of Wonders: Planetfall
    This could also be considered borderline retro, in the sense that it's an update to a quite venerable series, but it does some reasonably bold things in its design. The tactical combat is better than ever, but the strategy map's mechanic of annexing sectors is really excellent. At a stroke this unpacks cities extremely well, makes borders between different empires fairly sensible, and gives you something worth fighting over. Really the only downside is a slightly over-repetitive early game, but by midgame things often get very weird.

    Also you can have a fight between Communist space dwarves and violently hostile sexbots. People who said this game has no flavor apparently lack taste buds.


    The Surge 2 I don't actually like Soulslike games, and some of my traditional complaints still stand; i.e. resting respawning all the non-boss enemies is deeply immersion breaking. However the combat is excellent as a sort of power-armor fueled techno-Homeric ballet of hyper-carnage, and somebody clearly had a think about the health system and did something interesting. Hitting dudes builds energy, which can be used to charge up a healing device, so your primary form of recuperation is actually jabbing people in the ribs with unpleasantly sharp things. Then somebody tied this to the loot system, since you only get specific loot by targeting and chopping off specific body parts, which draws from the same energy reserve as charging your healing thing. Want that guy's helmet? Better chop his head off. This also adds a delightful bit of risk/reward to the combat, since you can kill a dude faster by targeting an unarmored bodypart, but chopping of a helmetless head won't net you as much cool stuff.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.


    Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Regarding Paradox, when it comes to scummy business practices, they're a *long* way better than the likes of EA and Activision!

    As for new, good, non-retro games, I hear good things about Subnautica, although I won't actually be playing it until the weekend so I can't give you my personal opinion until then. I've also put a *lot* of hours into Grim Dawn, which I don't consider "retro" but I definitely think is worth playing.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    I had a lot of fun with Sekiro and Metro Exodus this year, and before that Dark Souls 3. Which is over 3 years old by now.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

    Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Battletech is very solid, though despite being originally a kickstarter project developed by the original Battletech guys who started it 30 odd years ago, it was swallowed up by Paradox last year, so if you don't want another Paradox game, you won't be getting you giant robot action here.

    Factorio is one of the highest rated games on steam for a reason. I don't really know how to describe it, but luckily for both of us, they're just crazy enough to have a downloadable demo for you to play. I highly recommend chaecking it out.

    As already mentioned, Battlefleet Gothic is quite fun, both for the campaign and just tooling around in random battles.

    Also as mentioned, Grim Dawn can be a nice diversion. If you liked Titan Quest, you'll probably like this.

    Speaking of, if that's your jam or you ever enjoyed Diablo II, give Path of Exile a go. While the F2P nature might put some off, it got 95% of the polish of a AAA game at this point and is quite easily the leader in the ARPG genre.

    Interplanetary is a niche little thing that involves building up you planet with various defences and weapons to then hurl your choice of railgun projectiles, missiles, MIRV's, Laser beams or asteroids at the other chumps foolish enough to have a habitable plant in the same solar system. Definitely something to check out.

    Kerbal Space Program isn't new, but is certainly worth a mention for a quirky little one-more-turnlaunch time eater about space exploration.

    Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor was pretty great, with lots of cool things to do and see, a very nice combat system and a neat roster of ork captains with far more personality than they had any right to have for randomly generated NPC's.

    Mount and Blade is another really solid niche piece with some seriously good combat and a fun little army building system.

    Pillars of Eternity is probably something right up your ally if you liked Tyranny. Story is OK, but the real strength is in the interesting characters IMHO, though a couple of them do have lacklustre endings to their personal quests (YES, I'M LOOKING AT YOU, EDER!).

    They are Billions is a sort of odd mix of tower defence and limited RTS ... thing that can be quite addictive.

    Vermintide: The End Times / Vermintide 2 are some very solid co-op fun in the warhammer fantasy universe. The gameplay is surprisingly solid, and the maps are interesting and varied but the real thing that sticks with you are the characters and their banter.

    If we're allowed to mention console crossovers, then both Valkyria Chronicles and Final Fantasy 15 are excellent additions to your library.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tail of the Bellcurve
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    As for new, good, non-retro games, I hear good things about Subnautica, although I won't actually be playing it until the weekend so I can't give you my personal opinion until then. I've also put a *lot* of hours into Grim Dawn, which I don't consider "retro" but I definitely think is worth playing.
    Subnautica is a good survival crafting game. It's still very much a survival crafting game. Since crafting is about my least favorite game subsystem ever, even giving it a delicious and attractive wrapper did not help.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.


    Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Narkis's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    I loved Pathfinder: Kingmaker. The last games I liked before that were Darkest Dungeon, Shadowrun and Witcher 3. But how many years back do we go before games stop counting as "new"?
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Borderlands 3 is good, for a very recent release.

    I picked up Noita last night, and it's...interesting. Early Access, but solid. It's like a mix of a Rogue-like dungeon delver with that powder physics game you played in the school's computer lab.

    Sony has been pumping out amazing games. God of War's reboot and the Spider-Man game are games that absolutely live up to the hype; most refreshing game experiences I've had in a while.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    How recent is 'new?' Just released this year? Within the past 5 years? Something else?

    Regardless, for relatively recently released titles that I've played and enjoyed, Rule the Waves and its sequel are enjoyable build-your-own-navy quasi-historical wargames, Transport Fever's pretty decent if you're into tycoon-type games and Dominions 5 does the megalomaniacal world conquest thing pretty well.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    So is Bloodstained.

    Battlefleet Gothic is a solid RTS with a solid campaign and fantastic visuals.

    There are a lot of decent-looking indie games coming up like Dual Gear and Phantom Brigade.
    I've been considering Battlefleet Gothic. It's just that I'm fairly crap at keeping track of things in RTS's.

    I like indie games, I'll check out those two.

    Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Oh dang. First game that comes to mind for me, and itís the first comment.

    Cosmic Star Heroine came out not too long ago, fun retro RPG.

    Beyond that... havenít been playing any new games.
    But .. retro might be new, be is designed to be old-like. It's cheating, for the purposes of this thread =)

    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    The end of this summer/beginning of fall has been packed with goodness.

    Gears 5
    I suppose in one sense this is sort of retro, because you don't level anything up, there's no randomly generated loot, and there's a list of like a dozen or so entirely delightfully varied and ridiculous guns. It's hella good though; like the best possible version of a game from 2007. Gorgeous, plays like a dream, is far smarter than a game featuring chainsaw bayoneting a dude in the groin has any right to be, and lays on interesting and spectacular setpiece fights with a degree of competence that makes it look easy.

    Age of Wonders: Planetfall
    This could also be considered borderline retro, in the sense that it's an update to a quite venerable series, but it does some reasonably bold things in its design. The tactical combat is better than ever, but the strategy map's mechanic of annexing sectors is really excellent. At a stroke this unpacks cities extremely well, makes borders between different empires fairly sensible, and gives you something worth fighting over. Really the only downside is a slightly over-repetitive early game, but by midgame things often get very weird.

    Also you can have a fight between Communist space dwarves and violently hostile sexbots. People who said this game has no flavor apparently lack taste buds.


    The Surge 2 I don't actually like Soulslike games, and some of my traditional complaints still stand; i.e. resting respawning all the non-boss enemies is deeply immersion breaking. However the combat is excellent as a sort of power-armor fueled techno-Homeric ballet of hyper-carnage, and somebody clearly had a think about the health system and did something interesting. Hitting dudes builds energy, which can be used to charge up a healing device, so your primary form of recuperation is actually jabbing people in the ribs with unpleasantly sharp things. Then somebody tied this to the loot system, since you only get specific loot by targeting and chopping off specific body parts, which draws from the same energy reserve as charging your healing thing. Want that guy's helmet? Better chop his head off. This also adds a delightful bit of risk/reward to the combat, since you can kill a dude faster by targeting an unarmored bodypart, but chopping of a helmetless head won't net you as much cool stuff.
    Never played any of the Gears games. Maybe I should have, but it feels weird to get on board with the 5th game in the series.

    I want Planetfall at some point, it looks neat. Surge, being a Souls-like, is .. unlikely to be any good for me, I'm too old for reaction based gameplay =)

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Regarding Paradox, when it comes to scummy business practices, they're a *long* way better than the likes of EA and Activision!

    As for new, good, non-retro games, I hear good things about Subnautica, although I won't actually be playing it until the weekend so I can't give you my personal opinion until then. I've also put a *lot* of hours into Grim Dawn, which I don't consider "retro" but I definitely think is worth playing.
    Well - EA and Activision I'd never buy a product from, so their moral habitus is less relevant. Also, unlike those two, Paradox make excellent games. Then they fleece you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I had a lot of fun with Sekiro and Metro Exodus this year, and before that Dark Souls 3. Which is over 3 years old by now.
    I was playing the first Metro game, but ... then I got stuck, and lost interest. My save is in an irrecoverable mess, out of gas masks in the middle of nowhere being eaten by some giant monster.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Battletech is very solid, though despite being originally a kickstarter project developed by the original Battletech guys who started it 30 odd years ago, it was swallowed up by Paradox last year, so if you don't want another Paradox game, you won't be getting you giant robot action here.

    Factorio is one of the highest rated games on steam for a reason. I don't really know how to describe it, but luckily for both of us, they're just crazy enough to have a downloadable demo for you to play. I highly recommend chaecking it out.

    As already mentioned, Battlefleet Gothic is quite fun, both for the campaign and just tooling around in random battles.

    Also as mentioned, Grim Dawn can be a nice diversion. If you liked Titan Quest, you'll probably like this.

    Speaking of, if that's your jam or you ever enjoyed Diablo II, give Path of Exile a go. While the F2P nature might put some off, it got 95% of the polish of a AAA game at this point and is quite easily the leader in the ARPG genre.

    Interplanetary is a niche little thing that involves building up you planet with various defences and weapons to then hurl your choice of railgun projectiles, missiles, MIRV's, Laser beams or asteroids at the other chumps foolish enough to have a habitable plant in the same solar system. Definitely something to check out.

    Kerbal Space Program isn't new, but is certainly worth a mention for a quirky little one-more-turnlaunch time eater about space exploration.

    Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor was pretty great, with lots of cool things to do and see, a very nice combat system and a neat roster of ork captains with far more personality than they had any right to have for randomly generated NPC's.

    Mount and Blade is another really solid niche piece with some seriously good combat and a fun little army building system.

    Pillars of Eternity is probably something right up your ally if you liked Tyranny. Story is OK, but the real strength is in the interesting characters IMHO, though a couple of them do have lacklustre endings to their personal quests (YES, I'M LOOKING AT YOU, EDER!).

    They are Billions is a sort of odd mix of tower defence and limited RTS ... thing that can be quite addictive.

    Vermintide: The End Times / Vermintide 2 are some very solid co-op fun in the warhammer fantasy universe. The gameplay is surprisingly solid, and the maps are interesting and varied but the real thing that sticks with you are the characters and their banter.

    If we're allowed to mention console crossovers, then both Valkyria Chronicles and Final Fantasy 15 are excellent additions to your library.

    Final Fantasy hasn't worked for me, except FFIV. Valkyria Chronicles is something I've always been attracted to, but never having dared to try .. cause, I'm afraid it'll disappoint me. I might reconsider that.

    Pillars of Eternity is another thing I was afraid of. I had to decide between that, and Divinity - and went with the latter, then never finished. Then bought Divinity 2, and never finished that either. Should have gotten PoE instead, I guess =)

    Mount and Blade I know enough of to say the combat doesn't work for me. Vermintide is too pvp focussed - as above, I'm just too old. All the teenagers have better reactions speeds than me =) I will buy Billions eventually though. Tried Shadows of Mordor. Dunno, for some reason I suck at it. Badly so.

    I looked at Interplanetary, and figured it would be a lot of fun - but also lose it's attraction quickly.

    I have Battletech, though. I forgot about that one in my first post - considering buying the expansion. I think I would pick Rimworld over Factorio. Not that they're similar, but .. still =)

    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Subnautica is a good survival crafting game. It's still very much a survival crafting game. Since crafting is about my least favorite game subsystem ever, even giving it a delicious and attractive wrapper did not help.
    Subnautica I have - but didn't finish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I loved Pathfinder: Kingmaker. The last games I liked before that were Darkest Dungeon, Shadowrun and Witcher 3. But how many years back do we go before games stop counting as "new"?
    Kingmaker I also have - but didn't finish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Borderlands 3 is good, for a very recent release.

    I picked up Noita last night, and it's...interesting. Early Access, but solid. It's like a mix of a Rogue-like dungeon delver with that powder physics game you played in the school's computer lab.

    Sony has been pumping out amazing games. God of War's reboot and the Spider-Man game are games that absolutely live up to the hype; most refreshing game experiences I've had in a while.
    Borderlands is something I want to love, but .. don't. Maybe it's the old reaction speed thing, again. Maybe I should check out God of War, tho.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    How recent is 'new?' Just released this year? Within the past 5 years? Something else?

    Regardless, for relatively recently released titles that I've played and enjoyed, Rule the Waves and its sequel are enjoyable build-your-own-navy quasi-historical wargames, Transport Fever's pretty decent if you're into tycoon-type games and Dominions 5 does the megalomaniacal world conquest thing pretty well.
    'Reasonably new' is fine. I considered Rule the Waves, but didn't bite.

    I know Dominions 5 has a strong following, but the graphics don't really suit me.

    But .. good tips all around. Thanks =)

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    'Reasonably new' is fine.
    'Reasonably new' is ill-defined and subjective.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I've been considering Battlefleet Gothic. It's just that I'm fairly crap at keeping track of things in RTS's.
    BFG doesn't have as much to keep track of as a traditional RTS like say, Starcraft. There's no base building or resource gathering. Your fleet persists between missions, and you do all your upgrades in between missions. It's also got a slowdown function, so you can reduce the gameplay speed and issue orders to your ships.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

    Factotum Variants!

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    I'll help out:

    Dragon Ball Fighter Z
    Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
    Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
    Code Vein
    Crosscode
    Cat Quests 1 and 2
    Shantae Half Genie hero
    Wandersong

    really your asking a weird question, because its subjective what is or isn't awful, while "not awful" itself is a kind of a low bar question, since awful games aren't something you have some niggling little problem with they have big mechanical problems that make the game unplayable and thus generally aren't played at all, so anything not awful is technically anything well made enough that the mechanics of the game are fun. games are played because their mechanics provide a consistent interactive experience that people enjoy after all.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 24!



  17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    'Reasonably new' is ill-defined and subjective.
    Anything you feel is 'reasonably new' is perfectly fine. It's not a test, there are no wrong answers. But there are plenty of threads for great classics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    BFG doesn't have as much to keep track of as a traditional RTS like say, Starcraft. There's no base building or resource gathering. Your fleet persists between missions, and you do all your upgrades in between missions. It's also got a slowdown function, so you can reduce the gameplay speed and issue orders to your ships.
    Maybe I really should give it a try. Thanks =)

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberrian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Dragon Quest 11 is everything good about dragonvquest distilled into one game. And if you're going to get it, the Switch version is the way to go, as it has loads of content the other versions do not.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

    Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Indivisible comes out in literally days. If nothing else, the visuals are amazing. I've also heard good thing about River City Girls. Haven't played it yet as I'm waiting for it to go on sale.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tail of the Bellcurve
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Never played any of the Gears games. Maybe I should have, but it feels weird to get on board with the 5th game in the series.
    I've only ever played Gears 1, and that was about 11 years ago*. I'm definitely missing some bits, but it's not that hard to pick up. There's aliens that look like discount Uruk-Hai. They are evil. You should kill them, with the helpfully provided set of ultra-violent weaponry. If you were willing to put up with the Windows store, you can get Gears 4 on PC there as well, which I think would fill in like 95% of the missing context in 5.

    *I used to annoy my college roommate by playing it, and humming Amazing Grace every time I chainsaw bayoneted a dude. Later he had a nervous breakdown and left. I'm pretty sure these are unrelated incidents.

    I want Planetfall at some point, it looks neat. Surge, being a Souls-like, is .. unlikely to be any good for me, I'm too old for reaction based gameplay =)
    Planetfall is great. Not sure it's better than AoW 3, but AoW 3 is darn near perfect already, so a slightly different take o the same thing is just fine in my book.

    Borderlands is something I want to love, but .. don't. Maybe it's the old reaction speed thing, again. Maybe I should check out God of War, tho.
    Borderlands to me always felt like they had exactly one good idea - random guns - and strapped it into the most barebones and unambitious open world they could possibly get away with, along with an RPG system remarkable for achieving new heights of completely boring. I had fun with 2 until the random gun novelty wore off (oh look another revolver sniper rifle with like 3 shots) which left me with an endless slog through samey enemies in samey environments. There just wasn't enough actual meat on the bone.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.


    Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    The best new titles from this year that I've played have been Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Devil May Cry 5. Both wonderful examples of their genres and, in my opinion, the best overall titles in their respective series. Three Houses has much better writing and storytelling than any of its predecessors plus very good (if a bit easy for the series) gameplay, and Devil May Cry 5 is just a wonderfully put together action game with top-notch mechanics and presentation, and some just plain fun moments to see and experience. The final boss fight in particular is fantastic.

    Last year had some real treats too. They've all been mentioned already, but three that exceeded my expectations were God of War, Dragon Quest 11, and Spider-Man. I never expected to be able to praise the writing in a God of War game, but I can absolutely do that with that one, and the gameplay's absolutely stellar too, noticeably different from but, IMO, better than its predecessors. Dragon Quest 11 is just a very solid traditional-style JRPG with a variety of very well-done small things that add up over time, and an actually surprising element to the story, particularly if you're expecting more standard fare for the series. And Spider-Man, well, it steals a lot from the Batman: Arkham games, but does it very well and doesn't wind up feeling like a cheap copy of them despite the obvious similarities, instead just learning how to do a good action-based superhero game from them. Rare example of an open-world game where I didn't feel like the open-world elements harmed the experience, either (I normally dislike those, often quite a bit, in case anyone didn't know already).

    Last year provided me with three of my favorite games ever too - Dragon Ball FighterZ, BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle, and Super Smash Brothers: Ultimate. I still keep coming back to those three as my go-tos for the genre, and expect to for quite some time at this point. Plenty of fun to be had with all of them.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lost in the Hinterlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Did anyone mention A Plague Tale: Innocence yet? It just came out this year.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    So .. there's all sorts of threads for old games. I started one myself, focussing on roguelikes. But realistically, there must be people out there, even in this day and age, who make non-retro, brand new, shiny games that aren't utter drek.

    Right?

    The latest actually new games I played, completed and liked are, sadly, Stellaris and Tyranny. Which is ironic, since I consider Paradox to be absolute villains (for their endless-expansions-money-cow business practice).

    Can anyone do better, I wonder?
    Into the Breach. Also Into the Breach. Last but not least, Into the Breach
    Last edited by Sermil; 2019-10-04 at 06:48 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danzibr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Back forty.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    But .. retro might be new, be is designed to be old-like. It's cheating, for the purposes of this thread =)
    Hehe, whoops, missed you even said non-retro in the OP. My bad.

    Hrm. Alright, well you already addressed not being a FF fan. Right now I'm on FFX remaster. Maybe doesn't count since FFX is old, but the remaster was 6 years ago. FFX's combat system holds up really well.

    Oh actually I do have a couple new games I've played. Nobody mentioned Zelda: Breath of the Wild. First Zelda truly of its kind. I overall enjoyed it. Exploration was a ton of fun (which it needed, seeing as the villain was kind of meh).

    Also Star Control: Origins came out like last year. I put a lot of hours into that, really enjoyed it. Interest definitely piqued like 3/4 of the way through.

    Beyond that... most of the stuff I play is either old or has already been mentioned.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Varen_Tai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rexburg, ID
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Speaking of, if that's your jam or you ever enjoyed Diablo II, give Path of Exile a go. While the F2P nature might put some off, it got 95% of the polish of a AAA game at this point and is quite easily the leader in the ARPG genre.
    Ok, based off of this recommendation (because I loved Diablo 2), I downloaded all 18 gb of this game. I didn't get to do much before I had to head to bed, but it looks so... PIXELATED. Like, painfully so. Please tell me there's some graphics option to make it look more like a game in 2019 instead of 1999. Diablo 2 looks better. I turned the resolution up all the way and all the graphics still look super blocky.

    Now, I'm still totally willing to give it a go, if for no other reason than that amazing looking universal skill tree. But I'd love better graphics if at all possible.

    Any ideas?
    Last edited by Varen_Tai; 2019-10-05 at 07:20 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    I've been playing a game called Cliff Empire. It's pretty fun, if you like city builders.
    The most recent Prey is brilliant, if you've not played that. So is the most recent Doom.
    I'll second Factorio. I'd take it over Rimworld any day. Partly because I love factory building and supply-chain logistics, partly because I already have Dwarf Fortress.
    Oh, and while it's not exactly new, Slime Rancher is both adorable and relaxing.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

    We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Borderlands to me always felt like they had exactly one good idea - random guns - and strapped it into the most barebones and unambitious open world they could possibly get away with
    That's so funny, because I always felt Borderlands got exactly one thing right - a cool, outback, hot, sweaty frontier desert world .. and then tacked on a pointless grindy weapon progression system for no reason =)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Into the Breach. Also Into the Breach. Last but not least, Into the Breach
    The breach is good, and I completed it .. but it's retro, and not really on topic here =)

    Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Hehe, whoops, missed you even said non-retro in the OP. My bad.

    Hrm. Alright, well you already addressed not being a FF fan. Right now I'm on FFX remaster. Maybe doesn't count since FFX is old, but the remaster was 6 years ago. FFX's combat system holds up really well.

    Oh actually I do have a couple new games I've played. Nobody mentioned Zelda: Breath of the Wild. First Zelda truly of its kind. I overall enjoyed it. Exploration was a ton of fun (which it needed, seeing as the villain was kind of meh).

    Also Star Control: Origins came out like last year. I put a lot of hours into that, really enjoyed it. Interest definitely piqued like 3/4 of the way through.

    Beyond that... most of the stuff I play is either old or has already been mentioned.
    I want to play Breath of the Wild. Yes. Star Control crashes on my machine (curses!!).

    Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    I've been playing a game called Cliff Empire. It's pretty fun, if you like city builders.
    The most recent Prey is brilliant, if you've not played that. So is the most recent Doom.
    I'll second Factorio. I'd take it over Rimworld any day. Partly because I love factory building and supply-chain logistics, partly because I already have Dwarf Fortress.
    Oh, and while it's not exactly new, Slime Rancher is both adorable and relaxing.
    I keep hearing good things about Slime Rancher, and it's bugging me, cause it looks .. silly. I played the original Prey, but sadly lost interest. Dunno why, really. Maybe I should pick it back up.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    That's so funny, because I always felt Borderlands got exactly one thing right - a cool, outback, hot, sweaty frontier desert world .. and then tacked on a pointless grindy weapon progression system for no reason =)
    I dunno, I never felt Pandora made much sense. I mean, the idea is that the place was covered in oceans once upon a time, which is why it was colonised in the first place, but then those all went away for reasons--yet somehow both humans and native life still survive on what, to all intents and purposes, should be a dead world? As for the game itself, I always felt Borderlands 2 was too much of a retread of the first game but with the "bullet sponge" setting for enemies turned all the way up--when a brand new game feels like a really large DLC for an old one I think there's a bit of a problem.

    I might get Borderlands 3 when it hits Steam purely because it's been a good while since I played a Borderlands game and thus I might be in the mood for it by then!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I keep hearing good things about Slime Rancher, and it's bugging me, cause it looks .. silly. I played the original Prey, but sadly lost interest. Dunno why, really. Maybe I should pick it back up.
    Well, it is a bit silly. But it's also charming and fun. The slimes have such wonderful expressions.

    The most recent Prey, as I understand it, has very little to do with the older ones. It was produced by Arkane, in a similar vein to Dishonoured.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

    We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: New titles that aren't awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I dunno, I never felt Pandora made much sense. I mean, the idea is that the place was covered in oceans once upon a time, which is why it was colonised in the first place, but then those all went away for reasons--yet somehow both humans and native life still survive on what, to all intents and purposes, should be a dead world?
    DEEPEST LORE is that Pandora goes through massive shifts when the season changes; these seasons lasting for decades at a time. Spring and Summer are dry, hot, and when all the dangerous creatures like Skags come out of hibernation. Fall and Winter make the place practically a paradise planet as all the dangerous wildlife slumbers, the water replenishes, and greenery grows rampant.

    The games take place in the height of Pandoran Summer.

    But the place was never colonized because it was nice (it was already Spring by the time Atlas got there), it was colonized because people thought there might be a Vault there. The Vaults are the source of pretty much every single piece of advanced technology in the setting, Eridian tech reverse-engineered by Atlas and then copied/modified by other companies, particularly Dahl (who were a huge reason for the colonization push).

    Like I said in the other thread: Borderlands' plots are absurd and stupid. Its D E E P E S T L O R E is weirdly deep and complex and interesting.

    It's a conundrum.

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    As for the game itself, I always felt Borderlands 2 was too much of a retread of the first game but with the "bullet sponge" setting for enemies turned all the way up--when a brand new game feels like a really large DLC for an old one I think there's a bit of a problem.
    3 is a big step up; even on New Game+ a max level character can feel like they're making progress. Mayhem modes jack the enemy stats into the stratosphere, but they are now optional, and still not as stupid as the height of BL2's sponginess.

    The game itself is a very good spin on the same formula; every character feels unique and interesting again, and I quite liked it. My only real gripe is the bosses kinda suck.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2019-10-05 at 01:40 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •