The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Paladin or Blackguard? [5e]

Are you paladins, the Swords of Heaven, oathbound to defend the peaceable people of the Covenant Kingdoms against life-stealing blackguards and the Unliving? Unlike even the kings, you and your followers carry the authority of life or death. In the Kingdoms, only you are allowed to bear swords.

Or are you blackguards of the Binding Chain, pact bound to fiends, deriving your powers from murdering innocents? You seek to stand proud above the Covenant that binds the people of the Kingdoms to humble peace. By your actions, you forfeit your lives and those of your followers to the paladins' swords.

Or are you fighters, or rogues, assisting the Swords or the Chain or faring on your own with simple weapons?

Or, finally, are you bards, observing and recording events, acting as emissaries among the kings and between the kings and the people?

Setting: The dark future of Hispania. Dangerous waters bound the kingdoms of Hispania to northwest, west, south, and east. The Godswall stands at the northeast. The rulers and the people of the kingdoms are decent and reasonable. Beyond the boundaries, however, stalk the barbarians of the Witchlands, who come sometimes to trade with the peaceable people, more often to plunder and rape them. Even within the boundaries, blackguards and their servants depredate. The Swords of Heaven and their followers defend the people against such marauders.
    Starting point: The port of Málaga, a wretched pit of scum and villainy where blackguards stalk the streets and terrorize the honorable merchants who trade in foreign goods. OR The lushly forested borderlands at the feet of the Godswall. OR The bleakly beautiful scrubland of Extremadura. OR The ornate and intriguing king's hall at Madrid.
    Rules: 5e SRD and 5e blackguard.
    The Paladins' Oath: You shall not let a blackguard live. You shall not take an innocent life. You shall show mercy to those deserving. You shall not steal. You shall not lie. You shall always respond to requests for help. You shall support justly exercised authority.
    The Blackguards' Pact: You shall never mend a wrong. You shall corrupt the innocent. You shall comfort the wicked. You shall not show mercy. You shall discard what is damaged. You shall not recognize any earthly authority.
    Players and characters: 2-4 all of the same alignment.
    Permitted classes and alignments: Paladins (lawful) OR blackguards (chaotic) AND/OR fighters and rogues (lawful or chaotic) OR bards (lawful or chaotic). To be clear: nothing else.
    Starting level and equipment: 1, per SRD.
    Special notes: 1. I no longer have copies of the PHB or the DMG, I'm going strictly from the SRD. Accordingly, any non-SRD material will need a complete description subject to my approval or modification. 2. The soldier background is not appropriate for this setting. The kingdoms have neither organized armies nor internecine warfare but rely on the paladins and their followers for defense from external and internal threats. 3. Martial weapons are only for paladins or blackguards. Seriously. Fighters and rogues are not proficient in martial weapons. 4. The paladins are not affiliated with any particular king, but rove the kingdoms in service of the Oath.
    Posting "requirements": Generally I am not available on weekends, but during the week I am likely to check threads more than once a day. I try to limit my posts to once daily so that players can keep up. I would like players to post at least every other day out of respect for the other players who want things to keep moving. I would like posts to be at least a paragraph in length, with both action and description of the scene.

Please post interest in this thread.

Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-10-22 at 10:07 AM. Reason: added bard class option

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin or Blackguard? [5e]

So, this looks interesting.

But I have some MAJOR qualms about the Blackguard class. It looks pretty dang OP.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Tye lack of a PHB in particular is disheartening. Not only are 5e-exclusive spells not present there, but spells that have a 3.5 equivalent are not-infreauently different from the 5e PHB text in regards to things like range and duration.

Idk what JNA is talking about tho. Seems like a good first draft.
    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I could scrounge around, see whether I can find a copy of PHB ... Would be interesting to run this purely from SRD, though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Posting interest.
    Perhaps I should note that I haven’t played in a great while and never through play by post.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbius View Post
    I could scrounge around, see whether I can find a copy of PHB ... Would be interesting to run this purely from SRD, though.
    So .. everyone get's Grappler, because that's the only feat on there?

Sorry, not out to be a spoil sport. A question: Is this open world - and are we a group, or solo, or allied as we see fit? Or would the group agree to be either blackguards or paladins, and where to start and so on?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    So .. everyone get's Grappler, because that's the only feat on there?

Sorry, not out to be a spoil sport. A question: Is this open world - and are we a group, or solo, or allied as we see fit? Or would the group agree to be either blackguards or paladins, and where to start and so on?
    I will find a copy of PHB.

It is a closed world, and everyone is human in flavor. However, if you want to use the stat adjustments for any of the PHB races, that's subject to approval.

After further consideration, you can run in an allied group, or solo with potential PvP. Keep in mind the setting is large and travel is primitive and slow (post apocalyptic, horses and feet). If you want to interact with other players it would be extremely helpful to all start in the same place.

8. - Top - End - #8

I will find a copy of PHB.

It is a closed world, and everyone is human in flavor. However, if you want to use the stat adjustments for any of the PHB races, that's subject to approval.

After further consideration, you can run in an allied group, or solo with potential PvP. Keep in mind the setting is large and travel is primitive and slow (post apocalyptic, horses and feet). If you want to interact with other players it would be extremely helpful to all start in the same place.
    The best pbp game I ever was played was a .. sorta open world, even if all we ever saw of it were a large port city for one group, and some sort of highland keep for the other. I believe the point was for the two groups to eventually meet, and either fight, or resolve the conflict peacably. Then, of course, the GM disappeared.

My character in that campaign was a goblin rogue, and while I'd love the chance to play him again, that seems to be outside the lines here. But .. frankly, I'd play any character. I'm sorely tempted to play a bard. Or a .. somewhat reluctantly evil blackguard. I'm frankly not very good at no-holds-barred villainy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

The best pbp game I ever was played was a .. sorta open world, even if all we ever saw of it were a large port city for one group, and some sort of highland keep for the other.
    I'm not sure I understand your distinction between closed or open. This will be a world where there's a lot going on that does not directly involve the player characters - unless they choose to meddle. Such they often will be asked to do.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'ld like to give this a go, I would normally run a paladin, but could be convinced to try mustache twirling villainy a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have a dwarven paladin made up, that could just be a rather stocky human. So I can use dwarven racial adjustments but not racial abilities? Are we variant humans with a first level feat?
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2019-10-12 at 06:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    I have a dwarven paladin made up, that could just be a rather stocky human. So I can use dwarven racial adjustments but not racial abilities? Are we variant humans with a first level feat?
    Yes, exactly.

13. - Top - End - #13

I'm not sure I understand your distinction between closed or open. This will be a world where there's a lot going on that does not directly involve the player characters - unless they choose to meddle. Such they often will be asked to do.
    I'm not sure there's an ironclad definition. As I've seen it used, an open world game is one without any very specific goals - quests, if you will. So in the game I talk about, my goblin rogue hada his own dream (a fevered fantasy, more like) of creating a secret lair full of happy goblins, deadly traps, and piles and piles of loot. He had increasingly detailed ideas of the place he wanted for this - a ruined tower with a series of basements. This place existed only in his imagination.

So .. while my rogue worked with one group of PC's, he was sorta freelance. They were of Good alignment (I always described him as 'morally flexible', although he was propably some flavor of CN), but he was quite insistent on being a thief. You know ... 'if you want those locks opened, you hire a thief. I'm a thief. But you cannot then ask the thief to never steal anything - that's just insane. Not to mention a moral double standard!'

He got on famously with the group paladin, btw.

But it doesn't really matter whether it's an open world. I'm just curious =)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not sure there's an ironclad definition. As I've seen it used, an open world game is one without any very specific goals - quests, if you will.
    Ok. By that definition, I always run wide open worlds. I mean, there are quests to be found. But I'm very happy with self-motivated characters.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Could everyone who's interested in playing this please post a character sheet to this thread within the next couple of days?

Thank you.

16. - Top - End - #16

Working on character
    https://ddb.ac/characters/17901925/pFkXR0

I am going to change his feat, dndbeyond only gives grappler.

Heavy Armor Master

Prerequisite: Proficient with heavy armor

Increase your Strength by 1, to a maximum of 20.When wearing heavy armor, bludgeoning, slashing and piercing damage you take from non-magical weapons is reduced by 3
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2019-10-17 at 07:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Thinking of rolling up a rogue.
    I was wondering, are we still sticking with the SRD (thief archetype only?) and is it point buy for ability scores?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Let's go with full PHB, I think I can find a copy somewhere.

Point buy would be good.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-10-17 at 03:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

I took the noble background, can I be from Andorra, from a minor noble family in the Pyrenees Mountains.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    I took the noble background, can I be from Andorra, from a minor noble family in the Pyrenees Mountains.
    Yes that would be ok, as a paladin though you are a roving emissary of Justice and Right rather than a scion of your family

21. - Top - End - #21

I understand, my character has just left his family area is traveling northern Hispania, righting wrongs and serving up justice.

22. - Top - End - #22

Submitting my sheet. I wasn’t sure how much background we needed, if any.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2039434

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Ok. Let's say we start in Zaragosa. I'll put up a game thread with some rumors you've heard. Each player add your own rumor. Look for the game thread tomorrow.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground