New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Need help about how to select a dog breed

Quote Originally Posted by Slaine View Post
    If it's going to be alone a lot don't get one. The dog would be miserable.

We have an Australian Miniature Labradoodle. He's hypoallergenic and has a beautiful nature. BUT, he's very energetic, needs at least an hour's exercise every day and barks when he hears unfamiliar noises or is "protecting" the home from deliveries, squirrels, a plane flying overhead...you get the general idea.

Think long and hard about it because if you both work it's incredibly unfair to leave a dog alone (often in a crate) for 8-10 hours.
    That's why I was planning to maybe get 2 dogs, to keep each other compagny.

But I have to admit that I might need help from my family sometimes, depending on schedules.

And from what I gather, dogs can have ddifferent personnalities, no matter the breed they are from. This is harder then I though it would be...
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-10-24 at 10:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

You know what those two dogs are going to do while you're gone all day (that is assuming you don't kennel them)? They're both going to loaf about waiting for you to get home. Then they're going to explode with all that pent up excitement when you finally get home. They might play a little here and there (or depending on breed, get into things, or worse!); but 98% of time they're just waiting for you.

People get a second dog thinking they will be some sort of replacement for them when they're away; but dogs don't work like that- and instead of having one lonely dog, they end up having two lonely dogs.

You either have time for a dog or you don't. No amount of dogs will change that.
    Last edited by Crow; 2019-10-25 at 04:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Crow is wise.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    You know what those two dogs are going to do while you're gone all day (that is assuming you don't kennel them)? They're both going to loaf about waiting for you to get home. Then they're going to explode with all that pent up excitement when you finally get home. They might play a little here and there (or depending on breed, get into things, or worse!); but 98% of time they're just waiting for you.

People get a second dog thinking they will be some sort of replacement for them when they're away; but dogs don't work like that- and instead of having one lonely dog, they end up having two lonely dogs.

You either have time for a dog or you don't. No amount of dogs will change that.
    Crow is wise.
    Good point. I grew up (and still live) on an acreage with two acres fenced off for dogs. So in my experience multiple dogs keep themselves busy and are happy when you come by and visit so to speak. Even now, when my brother's family comes out and brings their dogs, they stay outside and only come in to sleep or get out of bad weather. So I forget that dynamics are different in an apartment situation.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Valid points all around...

Then how much time can we let a dog alone without him freaking out? Any advices about how to make a dog feel safer? Cause from the looks from it, personnality mean a lot, as well as specie for that regard but its not everything.

I heard there is gadget to make him hear your voice and such that you can have linked to your phone for exemple...

Would having a cage help?
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-11-01 at 02:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Valid points all around...

Then how much time can we let a dog alone without him freaking out? Any advices about how to make a dog feel safer? Cause from the looks from it, personnality mean a lot, as well as specie for that regard but its not everything.

I heard there is gadget to make him hear your voice and such that you can have linked to your phone for exemple...

Would having a cage help?
    We don't leave our dog alone for more than about 3 hours. We're lucky, I work from home and my wife is usually home so it works pretty well. I know there are people that do leave their dogs for much longer but to me that's incredibly selfish as you're getting it to make you happy and the dog will be miserable as it is alone so much.

Try the quizzes from https://dogtime.com/ - it'll give you an independent view as to what you're ready for and potentially the breed that you might consider.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

We don't leave our dog alone for more than about 3 hours. We're lucky, I work from home and my wife is usually home so it works pretty well. I know there are people that do leave their dogs for much longer but to me that's incredibly selfish as you're getting it to make you happy and the dog will be miserable as it is alone so much.

Try the quizzes from https://dogtime.com/ - it'll give you an independent view as to what you're ready for and potentially the breed that you might consider.
    Unfortunatly, the quizzes are no longer available it seem?

I must admit that my schedule right now might not allow me to have a dog, considering both my and my gf schedule. However, its bond to change after I return to the countryside next summer. So IM merely dreaming and evaluating my options right now.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I being looking up option for me and my gf to have a dog. There is only a few criterias but it giving us a headache:

1) It need to be a hypoallergenic dog (corrected thanks )

2) I live in a cold climate and a appartement so it need to fit there.

3) Not have seperation syndrome. Willing to have a second dog to alliviate the problem if needed

4) Not aggressive toward strangers

5) Not a barker.

=============
    Forget the dog; what you want is a snake. The right breeds are very huggable!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Forget the dog; what you want is a snake. The right breeds are very huggable!
    HAHAHAHA! Oh I wish! But my future wife is afraid of snake so... I dont think it will be possible