The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 455
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    "Good? This plan is very evil!" Ellie replies. She tries to grab a few things she tucked into her dress earlier when she donned it; a vial, a tool, a powder. She quickly pops a seal and shakes the vial.

    "Let's see your monkey work under fire!

    Spoiler: skill check
    Show
    I don't have my character sheet or rulebook for a few hours, so do correct/add whatever I missed.

    The plan: Ellie is using quick alchemy to put together an alchemist fire bomb and hit the monkey with it. The ongoing fire damage might distract it from continuing its run. And I am aware the bomb does splash damage. So that means Ellie and the goblin probably will take a point... honestly this sounds so much like an alchemist idea.


    Flat foot check: (1d20)[14]
    Throw bomb [roll]1d20[roll] +whatever Ellie's modifier is. I don't remember what the character sheet says.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    "You can do both? Fantastic!" Belginabo's appreciation and respect for the doll grows even further. He lowers his voice to a stage whisper. "I'll give them a speech, then I'll cue you..."

    The gnome climbs on top of a nearby barrel and surveys his target audience. It's chaos in the market square right now, people fleeing left and right, only one golem trying to arrest the trespassers, apes in full flight, goblins pillaging food. He notes that someone had enough sense to step in, and actually managed to unseat one of them. Nicely done. Then there's the leader, already on top of the temple roof, with hostages even. He makes a face. Too far. At least try with those still on the ground.

    "BEHOLD!" His voice booms over the din, surprisingly strong for such a small person. "I am the Bel the Mighty, Wizard of the Thunder Mountain! Your actions this day have DISPLEASED me! Just this morning I awoke, by a great deed of my arcane power, this ancient living machine you can see here with me! Quaver before it, for it is an ORROK of the OSIRION of OLD, it traversed the millenia, it carries the power of eons past when the world was young and magic was strong! It obeys only me, and if you don't back down this instant, it will CRUSH you all! Surrender now to the authorities, give back these pies and these fish to their rightful owners, and you will be spared the Orrok's WRATH!"

    From the corner of this mouth, without taking his eyes off the crowd as he glares at the nearest goblin, he whispers in Okoro's direction: "Now would be a good time!"
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Belginabo in Legacy of Nex | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Sachni's grace and skill are beyond anything the goblins had accounted for - with a twist of ki, she pushes herself forward and upward, right atop the gorilla's shoulders and beside the extremely surprised goblin rider. who'd been more focused on his fish. A swift claw strike is enough to send the unfortunate Cindersnout reeling, but he manages to catch onto the scruff of his ape's neck before falling. Righting himself with gritted teeth, the goblin bats limply at Sachni with the remains of his half eaten fish. "Shoo! Shoo!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Order Animal check passed, Shove attempt failed. Sachni got up here of her own volition, so I'll allow her to jump to safety at no penalty, or to stick around without a roll and keep going for this guy next time. Her choice.



    Amazingly, even while danging from the back of a giant monkey, Ellie's alchemy skill comes through! As she has done a thousand before, she mixes, seals and shakes. In seconds, she has a fizzing, sparking vial that'll detonate at the slightest impact! Exactly what she wanted!

    Unfortunately, she also has an enemy within arms reach. One she just made extremely angry.

    Koma almost falls from his perch, digging his feet into the ape's fur to leave a hand free to wrestle with Ellie. The goblin screams at her as he grabs for the flask, white hot fury in his eyes as his hands reach over Ellie's, trying to swat her with the alchemical fire. "I not evil! I save tribes! All the tribes! I hero! Biggest bestest goblin hero ever Koma!"

    Finally, the vial slips. A few drops of orange liquid spill against the ape's leg, causing the beast to howl, but the bomb proper falls through a glass skylight on the roof below them. After a second, Ellie can hear a distant muted thwoom as the vial ignites. This seems to have shaken Koma out of his rage: the hunter waves back at the hole, giving Ellie the wounded look of a being suddenly very interested in dodging blame. "You done it now. This church of Abadar. God of Wealth curse you for blowing up shiny things."



    Zarrachia's linguistic skill is impressive, she rattles off commands in tongue after tongue, each projected clearly across the square. However, unfortunately for her, it's been a while since she has to practice her Vudrani, and the command for stop is just a syllable different from the command for gallop. A native speaker would never muddle the two, but a city official from a nation where that isn't the native tongue? Her slight Nexite accent turns the word she wanted into the last word she'd want. She can see the beasts still in the square start to speed up, the goblins (and luckless Peridora) struggling to hold on.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Well, I think it's become obvious by now that I enjoy critical failures. I won't add them into a roll that doesn't have one, but Command an Animal does. The animals receive another command, determined by the GM. And I'm saying Zarra told them all to speed up.

    This won't change anything mechanically this round, but... well, if you'll permit me to get Telltale for a sec, Band of Apes will remember this.



    Okoro strides forward at Bel's cue, the metal doll clanking into the square in a delightfully menacing fashion. Its mouth is slitted, making it look positively malevolent. Dutifully, Okoro closed its eyes, focusing on some internal mechanism.

    And a horrid, agonizing squeal of noise rings out across the market square. Passersby clutch their heads. Children cry. Somewhere a glass shatters in sheer protest at this crime against sound itself. It might be the single worst sound anyone in Oenopion has ever heard.

    It's certainly not what Bel had counted on. It's more agonizing and annoying than scary. But it seems to have worked. One of the goblins all but fell from its ape, charging towards the gnome and kneeling on the ground. "No more! No more, please, master wizard bell man! Skemus... sorry! So sorry! Will give back everything, just don't make terrible Oh-rock make more singing anymore, or cast curse spells or..." He's already retrieved the bag, and is shoving it at Bel's feet, not even daring to look upward, just listing off all the things he very much doesn't want the powerful wizard to do to him.



    Koma grimaces, looking back at the market square. They've lost two of their number already, the beasts are panicking and the strange pursuers don't show any signs of letting up. In the distance, he hears the wail of a horn. Oenopion's defenders are mobilizing. The goblin hunter growls, "That it! This too risky! Taking too long! We just lose more goblins this way."

    With an effort, he clambers back to his ape's shoulders, using Ellie's shoulder as a convenient foothold. After a deep breath, the hunter calls out at the top of his voice to the other goblins, whose mounts are even now pulling level with his own. "Cindersnouts! South! Go south! We gonna cross the pit!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    This is still technically round 2, 'cause I offered Raka a chance to get here and Estrellia hasn't had a chance to post/roll yet. But yeah, whatever Raka does, you guys have persuaded Koma to take the more risky, dangerous option. Hope you enjoy what comes next!
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-10-09 at 06:31 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Success! Sachni closed the distance between herself and the enemy. The goblin's first strike was unimpressive. He flailed at Sachni with a piece of fish. Nonetheless, she dodged as if it were a blade. These clothes were finest silk! Vudrani monks didn't settle for itchy burlap. Sachni attempted to unseat the goblin, before his smelly weapon could strike again.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Actions 1 and 2: Try to Shove the goblin.
    Action 3: If the above fails, Flurry. If it instead succeeds, try to safely dismount the ape.

    Shove 1: (1d20+6)[12]
    Shove 2: (1d20+6)[25]

    Flurry 1: (1d20+7)[8]; Damage: (1d8+3)[6]; Bleed (crit only): (1d4)[2]
    Flurry 2: (1d20+7)[12]; Damage: (1d8+3)[4]; Bleed (crit only): (1d4)[1]

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Estralita's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Raka

    This was what the tribes were stooping to? Serving as thieves and attack dogs for outsiders in order to receive their scraps?!

    Even an exile, Raka still wanted to protect her people, even if it meant protecting them from themselves.

    "You're lucky I don't have time to deal with you. Run, and hope we don't cross paths again"


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry I'm late, everyone! Athletics check to catch up.

    (d20+7)[19]
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Ellie Sprocket

    How dare this little cretin blame Elli for that fire! "Grrr, I will ring that scrawny neck of yours!!" Ellie shouted. She wanted to climb up and do just that to Koma, but this gorilla was moving too fast. This chase needed to stop. Holding on was just not going to go on forever and Ellie was all too familiar with gravity.

    Wait. Familiar?

    Ellie just remembered, her familiar is in her bag! She lets out a loud whistle. "Widget! Make smoke-smoke!" She then looks down at the ape she hung off of. She moved to free a leg for swinging and took aim at a tender spot on the Monkey.

    "Stop this monkey right now!!"

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Now that I read up on the Familiar rules!

    Ellie's tiny-sized opossum-like familiar, Widget, has the abilities Lab Assistant and Manual Dexterity. Ellie uses one action to command Widget--the familiar's two actions are to use the Quick Alchemy ability to make a Smoke Stick, then activate the Smoke Stick. Let's see if a 5-foot burst of concealing smoke does anything for Koma's sight.

    Ellie's second action is to kick the monkey where it hurts (if the dice cooperate): (1d20+6)[21] (since unarmed is a finesse attack, using DEX).

    Damage is just (1d4)[4] B
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-10-09 at 08:53 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Spoiler: Round 2.5
    Show
    Hookay, we've got two off-round posts here. I said I wouldn't resolve posts after my OOC warning since by that point it was clear, but we did have Xacha delete one... so I will tackle these two

    Sachni's wariness of the oily fish slows her blows down, letting the goblin bat the first away. The second strike however hits home, and the Vudran monk is happy to press her case. The bony carcass of the fish is sent flying to the side as the Cindersnout is lifted off of the ape, Sachni jumping with him and slamming the unfortunate goblin against the ground while his ride ploughs onward down the street. The little creature is squirming, trying to break free and run, but he's got no odds of slipping away from this hold. Although unfortunately the guard seem distracted - Sachni can see them trying to restrain one of the rampaging apes in the distance. It's going to take them a while to reach her, and bring this little wretch into custody. And the rest of the goblins are still withdrawing.

    Spoiler
    Show
    He's down, but Sachni's got a choice to make. Let this guy go, or stick with him until the guard take him away. The latter will leave her unable to act next round. (Since hey, you basically took those actions a little early)



    "Smoke-smoke?" Koma looks confused at Ellie's call, until a cloud of noxious grey gas starts to arise from the goblin on his far right. "Aaarrgh! Smoke!" the Cindersnout cries out, batting at the bag. It's taking him some effort to keep his ape from charging off course. Glowering, Koma turns back to Ellie - only to have to grab on for dear life as the ape roars in pain, speeding up all the more, leaping forward and barrelling along the rooftop even faster than before.

    With a long, difficult effort, Koma finally draws a breath. He looks down at Ellie as the two of them struggle to not fall off this even faster moving monkey. "You... you crazy, longshanks! You really crazy!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, sorry, but Koma wasn't the one who grabbed Ellie's bag, he just went for the four gifts, and the monkeys are too big for the smokestick to get more than one. You landed the hit on Koma's Ape though, dealt a pretty good blow! Usually Koma and the other goblin would have to make a Command an Animal check to keep things moving, buuut... technically Zarrachia's handled that for them, with an order that's pretty much what they needed! "WHOOO! Nice going, lady! Cindersnouts thank you!"

    Now, no one post till Estralita gets hers up!
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-10-10 at 03:36 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Estralita's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    As Raka ran, she became more aware of the situation. The "Plan" was in motion, the monkeys (that man was right, why monkeys?) were charging out of the city, the goblins..

    The goblin...

    What. Did. That. Goblin. Say.

    HE'S the hero of the goblins?

    "DIIIIEEE!!!!!!!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Raka launches herself at the monkey, trying to slow/stop it. Athletics check, to play to Raka's strengths.

    (d20+7)[16]
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    "EEEK!"

    Koma can't help an undignified squeal as a new figure joins the chase, leaping up with a single bound to join him and Ellie on the ape's shoulder. The goblin leader can't help trembling at the fierce warrior closing on him, but a glance to his side and his companions reminds Koma of just what he's doing here. With a grimase, the Cindersnout leader draws his blade, glaring across at Raka. "Whoever you are, you - you not stop Koma! Koma save tribes no matter what!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Congratulations, you are now riding the monkey! It's not enough to force it down this round, but it will enable Raka to engage Koma himself without penalty. Further, since she's got a footing on its shoulder (rather than Ellie, who is grabbing its back) Raka can jump from its back without penalty.

    This may be important shortly, depending on your priority list.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    The Great Ooze Pits of Oenopion are famous across Nex and beyond, a great hive of study and cultivation of some of Golarion's most unusual creatures. Yet the area has never been open to the public. Part of this is out of fear of large ooze cultures consuming tourists, but it is more down to the structure of the site. A former mineshaft, it has been dug out and cultivated over years of careful study by dedicated ooze hands looking to cultivate the creatures. The pit shaft has only grown bigger, with countless indentations set into the wall, where the oozehands tend the creatures as they grow. The deeper levels are dark and mazelike, the home of adult oozes who wander them freely, and the few skilled professionals who know how to harvest chemicals from them. The whole enterprise is connected by a maze of scaffolding boards, cranes and lift-shafts: the bridges erected and torn down as the workers need to access parts of the site shifts every day.

    With such an environment, it's perhaps unsurprising that tourists are kept away. Those interested in doing business with the Pit are encouraged to stop by the attached shop, where they can purchase a small 'pet' ooze of their own, along with a handful of commemorative items, as well as whatever alchemical products they might be in the market for. Beyond that lies a wrought iron gate that leads to the Pit itself, with a helpful sign directing any curious travellers to a scenic overview point to the northeast, and a large rusty old golem donated by the City Guard standing there to deter drunken idiots from trying to leap the fence.



    krakaTHOOM! Three crackling thunderbolt rockets explode around the poor golem in a shower of blue and green flames before it can realize what is happening. As the unfortunate falls to the ground, smouldering and sparking, Koma and the Cindersnouts charge over its remains. The iron gate is no issue to the great apes, who wrench it away without even breaking their frantic stride. The helpful sign falls dejectedly to the earth as the goblins plough down the dirt trail towards the pit, and their path out of the city.

    In the distance, the group can make out Oenopion's outer wall. There's no gatehouse here, but subsequently no guard presence. If the apes reach base, they can simply scale the rock and descend the other side. The only thing standing between the Cindersnout Commandos and freedom...

    Is an enormous rough-hewn gaping chasm full of predatory animals, bridged only by a precarious assembly of wooden boards and rusted iron bars.

    The Pit has come fully into view now, the group having crested the slight hill that lies above it. Most of the workers are behind them, taking a lunch break in their quarters by the shop, leaving the whole scene abandoned. The scaffolding is already creaking in the midday wind, and a square of board attached to a crane is swaying ominously. The breeze whistles through the birthing chambers, and a mournful glooping sound rises up from somewhere deep below. The goblin with Peridora looks more than a little unsure at this prospect. With a sigh, she brings her ape close to the leader's mount, calling across to the distracted Koma. "This terrible plan, boss!"

    Koma looks like he wants to agree. The little goblin's nose-design bobs dejectedly as he glances across the great expanse of probable death they're racing towards. But with his foes before him, and troops behind him, he can't show cowardice. Instead the hunter forces a grin, shaking his head. "No, this perfect! Classic hero stuff! Bold, daring, all that!" This has gotten the lead Cindersnout warmed to his theme. He cackles at the enemy goblin before him and the human below "You sure you want this, blue-bomber-girl? Patchy? This last chance to stop!"

    The second Goblin grimaces at her leader's bravado. Typical Koma. She glances at the wall, trying to weigh the odds of circumventing the Pit as opposed to crossing it as an alternative. After a few seconds, she shakes her head sadly. It'll take too long. They might not like this, but they can't take another path, and can't surrender. They have to get out of the city, to get the thingimie back to the Longshanks and save the tribes. This stupid risky idea is their best chance at that. Pulling away from Koma's side, she places a hand to Peridora's shoulder, trying to give the poor girl a comforting smile. "Hold tight, human. Don't worry. Nihnin keep you safe."

    The apes' feet hit the first board with a hearty thump as the Cindersnouts begin their attempt to cross, running across planks, leaping from board to board. Pipes creak and groan as the goblin riders press onward. And the sound of the burbling from the darkness below grows stronger.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Aand so begins the much coveted Round Three. And before we begin, I've a question for everyone.

    Are you still pursuing the Cindersnouts?

    Let me rephrase. Are you still pursuing the Cindersnouts, over a dead drop on rickety wooden platforms that were not designed for the weight of hefty monkeys?

    ... even though they've dragged Ellie, Peridora and Raka along for the ride?

    If so, great! Feel free to roll some skill checks! Digo, Ellie can jump now if she wants without fear of injury, but she'll be jumping to a downhill slant, right by the pit. Even though mechanically it's safe, I'm gonna ask for a Will Save (DC15) to jump due to Ellie's fear of heights. Otherwise she's gotta cling onto the Ape. Esta, yeah, Raka can jump off fine if she wants to leave Koma to this idiocy.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Ellie Sprocket, Alchemist


    Ellie sees the great ooze pits and suddenly in her mind she realizes things are about to get interesting. And by that she means, 'oh god oh god we're all going to die!'

    She scrambles up the ape's back. With the goblin distracted in a fight with some, uh, other goblin (okay what is going on with that?) she makes a play to try and rescue an artifact or two before they all plummet into the ooze-infested pits of despair and ooze.


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Ellie will attempt a Thievery (Disable Device) check to undo the backpack's fastened buckle(s).

    Check: (1d20+6)[20]
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Syless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Adria doesn't hesitate.

    Or so she would like to say. She definitely hesitates. But what happened to Peridora... it's her fault. She can't give up now, she can't let them escape. And she can't take action against them if there's a risk of the girl falling... there... so there's not much she can do but hope she can make the escape, safety be damned.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Acrobatics, I guess?- (1d20+2)[22]
    Avatar by SeraphicMayin

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Belginabo winces at the atrocious sound produced by Okoro, but his grinding of teeth soon gives way to a beaming smile after this much greater than expected success. Giddy with energy both mental and physical, is he going to claim the spoils of victory and go home? Of course not!

    "You, Skemus! You go surrender yourself to these guards over here! And you'd better not try to pull a fast one, because Orrok has the power to track you if you do, and then... So, you behave!" Picking up the bag of stolen goods - just to be sure it doesn't fall into the wrong hands, he reasons - he turns towards the mannequin and says: "Come on! The others are escaping, with hostages! Go, go, go!" Not waiting for a reply, he runs after the flying ape-and-goblin team.

    The pair soon catch up with the thugs, facing the truly scary ooze pits. Scary, that is, except for a gnome who, being normally the exceedingly enthusiastic sort, is now drunk on success and overconfidence. "All right, we need to catch them and free this poor little girl here! Can you throw me? Yes I'm sure you can, see, I'm very light! Do it! Right at this one!" He points towards the one who carries the unfortunate Peridora. "NOW!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Here I'm working under the assumption that Okoro doesn't reject this crackpot plan out of hand. In case of need, here's a Diplomacy roll: (1d20+6)[19]


    The yelling gnome lands on the back of the ape, grabs the beast's fur as best he can, and climbs to face the rider. Right in her face, he yells: "YOU! Turn your monkey back, this instant! I am the Mighty Wizard of the Thunder Mountain! I have tamed monsters a hundred times your size with one-tenth your brains! You shall turn back, or my ally, Orrok of the Osirion of Old, will make you MELT in your BOOTS!" He glares at Nihnin with the most ferocious look he can muster, pointing a fingertip where a wisp of smoke is beginning to form.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics: (1d20+6)[10], and, assuming he doesn't land in a pool of ooze, Intimidation: (1d20+6)[10]
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Belginabo in Legacy of Nex | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, I'm gonna do some resolution on one side of this. I'd like a post from Estra before updating the Koma situation, but I think I can move Nihnin and Peridora forward, at least enough to start making some new rolls.


    Adria's cause is noble, her heart is true, and she fancies she can feel the Dawnflower's light guide her footsteps as she sprints across the gap. The nimble priestess is as swift as a sunbeam, jumping from board to board with a grace even the powerful apes can't hope to match. She can see Peridora looking at her, as she starts to draw ahead of the ape baring Nihnin and her 'hostage'. The little mage girl clearly looks scared, but at seeing Ms. Adria her eyes widen. She glances ahead, to the flat ground between the pits and the wall, and understands the priestess' intention. She tries to smile as she nods to the servant of Sarenrae.

    When that time comes, she means to be ready.



    Okoro has given up questioning Belginabo for the moment, content to observe and give his new friend the authority to set the pace and make decisions. Even so, this plan causes the doll to pause. Bel could swear the thing raises a non existent eyebrow. This plan is... not something the doll's logic could've anticipated. But nonetheless, faithful Okoro nods, bending down and readying to throw his friend across the gap.

    Readying. Readying.

    And then, the throw! For a moment, Belginabo can imagine himself truly the Mighty Wizard of the Thunder Mountain, sailing down on a stormcloud to confront some errant intruder. Oroko's position had given the doll the high ground, and its arm is strong - he can hear the wind whistling about him as he goes. This was a powerful throw.

    Perhaps a bit too powerful. Okay, definitely much, much too powerful. The force of the throw isn't abating as he draws closer to the great ape! Desperately, Belginabo tries to think back to his ship days, thinking of what the old sailors had told him about jumping over the rigging but he can't recall useful in time. He pushes to the side, trying to guide his descent just a little...

    "WAAAGH!" the gorilla cries, Belginabo impacting with its back just as it leaps into the air. Even for so mighty an ape, a gnome between the shoulderblades with that much force is nothing to trifle with. Belginabo lands safely on the scaffolding the ape has just jumped from, with only a slight creak to note his arrival, but the platform the monkey now lands upon has been almost knocked away. The board sails through the air, ropes of the crane holding it in place creaking as the great ape tries to steady itself, Nihnin and Peridora clinging on to its back and exchanging a fearful look.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ohkay, so... good news! Bel isn't falling to his death!

    Bad news, Bel just triggered a couple of rolls. The gorilla has to roll to keep its balance after being hit by a projectile gnome. Even if it succeeds at that, Nihnin has to make a Command an Animal check to keep the thing from tossing her and Peridora off its back.

    (1d20+9)[25] Acrobatics. DC25
    (1d20+5)[20] Nature. DC17

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Estralita's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    If Raka had been calmer she might have considered her surroundings more carefully. Noticed they were heading to a drop, decided to cut her losses, and jump off. Leave the goblin to his fate, and be certain of living another day. But well...

    "DIE, YOU BASTARD!"

    All she saw was her enemy, and all she though of was her attack.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attempting to shove Koma off onto a more stable platform. Once he's gone, I believe Raka will think more clearly.

    Athletics once more

    (d20+7)[24]
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Ellie knows how to take advantage of a diversion. Her nimble fingers dart over the latch of Koma's travelling bag, slipping it open as the goblin crosses blades with his enraged counterpart. A few swift seconds of artful rummaging have allowed her to retrieve the ebony wand, the gift intended for the Absalomite ambassador

    "NO!"

    Koma's face is a perfect storm of fear and rage as he grapples with Ellie, all thought of the goblin with the sword, or even his own survival now forgotten. His feet are barely rooted at all on the gorilla now, all his weight is pushing downward, trying to force Ellie back. The Cindersnout grabs desperately for the wand, thrashing his head against Ellie's grip, kicking her, shaking her with all the strength he has!

    So focused is Koma on this goal, he forgets the enraged berzerker charging straight towards him, elbow first. With a hearty thump, the two wrestling figures are thrown from the gorilla's back, tumbling out above the great expanse of the ooze pit with nothing but the wand between them.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Congratulations, you shoved off Koma and Ellie! I added 5 to the higher difficulty for the two of them being there, you got enough to hit them both! Really imporessive strength on Raka's part

    It's late, I'll resolve this in the morning. Bunch of mechanics on my end to tackle here. Need to see if the gorilla falls, if Koma/Ellie get a recovery roll, roll for Nihnin and Peridora's ability to reach the other side, and the most important question

    What's happened to Widgit?!

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Ellie Sprocket, Freefallin' Alchemist

    Ellie flailed and screamed as she was thrown into the great waste of space above the pits. She reached out to grab the wand, the only thing of solidness she really *could* grab on to (well, maybe the goblin too, but she weren't touching HIM with a 10-foot pole). "Go away! Go away! Go away! Go away!" Ellie shouted at the goblin; she fumbled through the air to grab the wand.

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    I guess this is a contest of grapples? Or Dexterity?

    d20 roll: (1d20)[2]
    Add whatever modifier you deem correct.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    "Arrrgh!"

    Koma's screaming as much as Ellie. The little goblin isn't exactly happy with this situation, and his eyes dart to a nearby platform. hoping to reach out to grasp it. But he too is unwilling to yield the wand, and Ellie's tight grasp upon it yanks Koma back away from safety, the two beings wrestling with the artifact and plummeting straight past scaffolding and handholds. As much as she may dislike it, Ellie is once again face to face with the grey skinned Cindersnout. The little goblin looks her right in the eyes; sad, scared, but not giving up

    "You... You no take that from me!"

    Then -



    Ah, forgive me, I'm getting ahead of myself. We'll come back to those two in just a minute.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay. Resolution time.

    I'm going to allow recovery rolls from being knocked from the monkey, or a monkey falling into the pit. That said, Koma and Ellie are both focusing more on the wand than survival right now. They aren't out of this yet, but they aren't exactly in the best position.

    Now, on to our other lucky participants!



    Shoving Koma and Ellie off its back has done wonders for the ape's mood. It glances up at Raka with an appreciative (if mildly intimidating) smile, before returning its attention to the surrounding environs. The ape frowns, weighing its options before deciding that it's not worth continuing to the other side. Instead it turns to the side, starting to slowly jump down platform by platform towards the closest exterior wall, looking to use that to climb out of the pit.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+11)[14] Athletics, DC 20. Raka can assist if she wants/can think of a way



    Across the way, Ody the Bold, self proclaimed smartest sneak of the Cindersnouts, is having a thoroughly lousy time. Nothing he does can stem the tide of smoke spewing from his backpack, and it's making it more than difficult to see just where his ape is going. "This the worst." Ody mutters to himself. Still, they're not getting out of this by just waiting around for the humans to catch them. With a grimace, the smoke covered Cindersnout urges his poor half-blinded ape onward, across the gap of the Pit.

    Spoiler
    Show
    But a smoke stick only lasts one round. It's being constrained by the bag, Widget never got an order to stop, and we've been handling these in a semi freeform manner anyway.

    (1d20+11)[13] Athletics, DC 25



    Nihnin glowers at the gnome behind her as the ape returns to its forward course. That was far too close. She looks to Peridora, checking the girl's grip is still secure before returning her attention to the path ahead of them. They still need to make a few more jumps before they've cleared the pit, and their ride is growing more and more recalcitrent. One more false move and they might still end up falling a long way down all the same.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+11)[16] Athletics. DC 20
    (1d20+5)[9] Command an Animal. DC 15
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-10-13 at 04:58 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    The action around the pit has everyone distracted. Only Belginabo the gnome has the vantage point to see what transpires between the figures he'd later know as Elisabeth Sprocket and Koma of the Cindersnouts. As the woman in the blue dress and goblin wrestle for the wand, the woman gains control for just a second. She holds the wand above her head, keeping it out of the goblin's reach, and then...

    A second. Just for a second, an aetheric blue light envelops the two. And then, in the blink of an eye, the pair just - disappear! Though what comes next may force even Belginabo to turn his mind elsewhere.



    It's as if the Rough Beast is stirring fitfully in its slumber beneath the earth. The ground quivvers, and a great gust of wind shakes the pit, a momentary tempestuous gale that makes iron shudder and ropes splinter. It could not have come at a worse time. The apes are thrown across the air, platforms they'd intended to reach splintering and falling around them. Ody's ape tries to cling to the wall, but loses its grip, falling down into the darkness below. Ody himself just manages to cling to the edge of one of the incubation holes, but the little Cindersnout is hanging on by its fingertips. Raka's ape lands poorly on a platform a good ten feet out from the wall, slamming a foot through the wooden planks, trapping it above the pit and making the ape scream in pain as it tries to free itself. Belginabo's platform starts to sway, not collapsing yet, but suddenly becoming far harder to stand upright upon.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, an assist won't be enough to course correct that roll. I'm gonna need an Athletics roll from Raka to jump to safety, DC15, or she can try and help the ape at DC20 (still athletics) and a DC10 Acrobatics roll for Belginabo to keep his footing.

    Nihnin and Peridora's ape doesn't fare much better. Finally infuriated beyond reason, the great beast shakes the two gnats loose from its back, even as it starts to plummet downwards. Both goblin and girl scream as they grasp each other, looking around for handholds, lower platforms, anything to grasp onto. Any way out of this.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Now.... Nihnin and Peridora aren't plot critical NPCs. Nothing happens storywise if both die here. And I should really start enforcing stakes to terrible decisions.

    But we did see a Nat20 purely to ensure Adria was ahead of the apes. As such... the Dawnflower shall smile upon you.

    There! Adria's hand clasps around Peridora's, the priestess just where she needed to be. Blessings of Sarenrae, love and light, it'd worked! She'd managed it!

    But in an instant, her joy is replaced by fear. There's too much weight. More than she can heft. Almost too much for her to hold. She can't pull Peridora up. What'd...

    Looking down, Adria can see the goblin Peridora had been riding with beneath her, clinging to the wizardess' legs. Even from five feet, and against a growing wind, she can see tears in the goblin woman's eyes. She doesn't want this. Doesn't want to put someone else's life at risk for the sake of her own. Doing so is excruciating for her. But... her only other choice right now is to accept her own demise. To let go and fall, knowing that she'll die, but her sacrifice will save two other lives. And Nihnin doesn't have the strength of will to do something like that. The only way would be if Peridora...

    If Peridora just kicked...

    Peridora looks up at her. Adria can see her face is bloodless-pale, and she's breathing quickly. But as she glances down at Nihnin, it's clear the young mage is able to measure her situation. She turns back to the priestess above her, her lifeline, with the bright symbol around her neck.

    "Ms. Adria. Can you... say a prayer to Ms. Sarenrae, please?" The little mage laughs nervously, aware that her suggestion sounds ridiculous. But it'd been made with utter sincerity. "I think we could use her help right now."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Syless? The floor is yours. Use it wisely and well.
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-10-13 at 05:56 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Sachni
    The market square has been hit badly by the Cindersnouts' charge. In the goblins' defense, much of the damage was accidental - had they truly set their minds to devestation, the scene could've been a far grislier sight, but there are still stalls upturned, goods broken and a large number of angry merchants who are yelling at the guard for failing to prevent what'd just happened.

    "I mean, honestly, what're you good for if you idiots are afraid of a few little monkeys?" An old lady scoffs at a dispirited looking young watchman.

    Sachni's been trying to repair one of the blocked pathways across the square: a spot where two stalls had fallen atop each other, and the resulting mess of broken wood and canvas has made it difficult to know where to begin in clearing it all. Her first efforts to lift a segment of the wreckage are strained, the hefty oak weighed down by the rest of the debris, but then Sachni feels a pair of additional hands beside her, helping support the weight. "You helped catch one of the thieves?" Turning, Sachni recognizes Sir Landry standing beside her, helping heft the broken beam. The knight smiles at his former opponent, nodding to her. "Congratulations. You're a credit to your order."

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    He had the speech prepared in his head, so well he could still hear it as he landed flat on his belly, all air knocked from his lungs. He was going to threaten this goblin woman into submission... Alas, that was not to be. He still has a tuft of ape hair in his grasping fingers, but that's all he gets for his trouble.

    Is Belginabo the great wizard going to be daunted by this temporary setback? No way! He picks himself up from the ground, such as it is, and takes check of his surroundings. Wow, look at that girl wrestling the goblin for this... is that a wand? Fascinating! And just like that, poof, gone! Magic is so cooool.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Any chance to figure out what just happened? Arcana (1d20+4)[12]


    But his attention is yanked away from that part of the ongoing drama in a rather brutal manner when the platform, or rather the whole rickety construction above the pit shakes mightily, and he struggles to keep his balance.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics (1d20+6)[11]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-10-13 at 06:21 PM.
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Belginabo in Legacy of Nex | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    As his Acrobatics roll was successful, I'm going to try and do something now. A cool thing about doing this in exploration mode is that the rules are more loose. Still, let me know if I'm cramming too many actions in this.


    Belginabo barely manages to stay standing, and as the platform sways and bobs, he sees the ape he'd been chasing moments earlier fall to its doom, followed by the little girl and her goblin kidnapper... "Noooo!" He gasps in dismay... But miraculously, an extended hand seizes the girl's at the last second! Somebody... A half-elf woman by the look of things... Came out of nowhere to save the day! But the goblin hangs on... All three are going down for sure! Do something!

    The gnome runs up to the edge to jump on to the next platform, landing next to the woman who currently holds two lives in her hands, grabs her belt, and desperately tries to stop her from sliding off the edge. "Hold on, brave lady!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Jump to the next platform, Athletics [roll]1d20=4[/roll] and then, assuming he didn't fall to his death, he'll try to Aid Adria. I guess it's going to be another Athletics (1d20+4)[18], but if Adria attempts something else, he'll try to help with whatever that is.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-10-13 at 08:13 AM.
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Belginabo in Legacy of Nex | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Sachni was satisfied with her performance. She managed to catch one of the culprits. Expecting more would have been arrogant. Some day (hopefully), she'd be able to outrace six gorillas. But for now, one would suffice. The town had many defenders. No doubt they had the situation in hand. Sachni could focus on helping in a different way.

    Her muscles strained to lift the debris. Even for someone with her physique, clearing this alone wouldn't be easy. Thank goodness she wasn't alone. A familiar face soon appeared. Sachni's opinion of Sir Landry rose a notch. He was certainly a flawed figure. Still, his talk of duty hadn't all been for show. She gratefully accepted his aid.

    "Thank you. Your help is welcome, Sir Landry. Let's get this festival back on track!"

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Syless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Time seems to stop for Adria. Peridora's life is vital... the girl wouldn't be in danger if it wasn't for her. But she can't just... Sarenrae wouldn't forgive her if she just left the goblin, clinging for their life, to fall. Without survival, there can be no chance for repentance. But she's... she's not strong enough to do this, is she? She's a frail priestess, not... she closes her eyes solemnly before she speaks.

    "Sarenrae... please grant me the strength to save them. Save them both. And if you can't... please grant the transgressor the strength to do what needs to be done." Her volume picks up, and she speaks where the goblin can hear her. "I'm going to try and get us all out of her alive! But... if I can't... you need to know, there's nothing you can do to save yourself here. If I can't save us, you have to. If you do-" Goblins don't worship any god in particular, do they? "-whatever afterlife you believe in, whatever reward is waiting for you, is in your grasp. Dying for your greed or dying to save a life you didn't want to endanger. If I can't save you... those are your options. Please. Choose well. Choose right."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, so... making an athletics check to see if those noodly cleric arms can save everyone. If not... diplomacy check. I imagine at a high DC.

    Athletics- (1d20)[18]
    Diplomacy- (1d20+5)[17]
    Avatar by SeraphicMayin

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Estralita's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    "What the-"

    Raka wasn't ignorant of magic, but she didn't see it every day. Seeing her opponent disappear into thin air along with some human woman (odd, the other goblin hadn't mentioned humans in the plan) surprised Raka enough to break her out of her single-minded rage. Enough to become aware of the pit, the rickety bridge, the monkey with the stuck foot...

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Looks like I'm not done seeing if I can get Raka killed yet. Athletics to free the Monkey Mount.

    [roll]d20+7[roll]
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    "About that."

    Landry doesn't stop his work at Sachni's words, but she's clearly reminded the knight of something. He slows just enough to continue talking, his voice moderated to not carry far across the market square. "This is obviously Geb's work. The goblins wouldn't range this far into Nex's territory without some kind of hefty kickback. And Alkenstar wouldn't profit from this." With a frown, the knight gestures back towards the Guildhall. "Do you really think it's still a good idea to hold a festival preaching peace and unity when one side just attacked the other by proxy? They tried to blow up the Alchemical Council! And you're just... going to pretend that nothing happened?"



    Raka is quick, strong and forceful. A few sharp kicks are enough to free the extremely grateful ape, who makes the final jump to the side of the pit with her on his back. Soon enough, the goblin warrior is being carried out of the pit to firmer ground above, able to set down above the scene and watch events play out to the last.



    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ohhh... I'm in a bind. And what a bind it is.

    The DC on the Athletics roll was 20. I set this based on proficiency rather than by checking Adria's skill ranks - Hefting the two up like that would've required real strength and strong training. It was an Expert task - out of your league, in retrospect.

    And yet you came this frecking close all the same! Bel's aid would have given you a +2! That would have been enough. And I said I was willing to adjust the DC on the aid check based on how you went about this. So the resolution here comes down to my fiat on the aid check.

    *parses fingers*

    I will be stern here, in the interests of later kindness. So I will stick with my original intent. I did not intend to lower the DC on an Athletics assist. Belginabo is not that strong, and he's not playing to his strengths with this, so I don't feel the need to give mercy. If you focused on using the time to try something else, I would have lowered the DC to 15. And you sooomewhat did? So I will grant both paths of resolution, and apply Bel's aid twice.

    On the Athletics check. Belginabo fails. That means the lift check fails. You came so close I will permit you to hold on firmly this round. But just this round.

    Which leaves your diplomacy check. Which was a good roll, and got Belginabo's aid... but you should've maybe rolled Religion to see what Adria knew of Goblin faith before trying that angle.

    The little goblin laughs bitterly up at the priestess. Her fate in the Boneyard is not something comforting to her right now. "If Nihnin cared about Mother of Monsters, she pull you all off on purpose, sun lady! Then Lady Lamashtu make Nihnin mighty barghest and let her come back as big scary wolf monster!"

    The thought does seem to make Nihnin wistful. But after a second spent pondering, she shakes her head. "Probably just be food for Hero-Gods in Basalfeyst. Gods not like Cindersnouts. Cindersnouts not like them either." Like four old, stupid chiefs who just got mean about everything. The gods of goblinkind leave a lot to be desired. But she shouldn't be thinking of them, or their wants right now. The goblin woman's eyes turn to Peridora. "Should probably still do it. My fault you here. This... make it right."

    Peridora's eyes go wide as she finally grasps the implications of what the two are talking about. The little mage shakes her head emphatically. "No! You saved me! I... you can't!" Grimacing, Peridora reaches down with her remaining hand, holding onto Nihnin by the scruff of the neck, even as the goblin woman starts to struggle. She won't let this happen! She should... She could...

    Something strikes a chord with the young wizard in that moment. She glances down at her neck. Beneath her tunic, Adria can make out the faint indentation of some kind of amulet. A protective charm? Something useful? Peridora doesn't seem exactly enthused by the concept though. She looks back up to the priestess.

    "Ms. Adria. Do the gods care about us? Does Sarenrae?" She glances over Adria's shoulder, in the rough direction of the sun she can't quite make out from here. "Is she up there, looking down on us right now? If I fall..." Peridora gulps at the thought of the drop below, but keeps her grip, looking to Adria again. "... will she watch over me?"

    The burble of the oozes across the pit has faded into a low adagio gloop, as if the creatures are offering some final chorus for the lives about to be lost.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Can I tell you a secret?

    Ohh... I'll wait a little longer. I'd like a Religion check from Adria to answer this. Peridora is not asking for literal divine intervention here, it's more the 'are you there god' question? She'd like to believe in Sarenrae, in the idea of a goddess looking out for her, who is with her in spirit. That would give her hope right now. And hope is the gift of Sarenrae, right? (Bel, feel free to assist, DC15 (hope and good feeling seem utterly Bel's thing!) but the question and primary roll go to Adria.)

    Regardless, the pair drops after this roll. Make it cooount.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Syless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Adria is fighting back tears as she nods down at the young girl. "Yes... the gods care. I worship Sarenrae above all, but that doesn't mean she doesn't care for everyone. Everyone who does good... she smiles fondly on them. And you, Peridora, are amazing."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    And now for the faith behind Adria's words.

    Religion- (1d20+7)[24]
    Avatar by SeraphicMayin

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Sachni weighed the offered words. She paused for quite a while before replying.

    "...Perhaps you'll be proven right. Perhaps Geb did attack today. However, I only saw six goblins. Anyone with enough wealth can hire six goblins: A cult; An arms merchant; An enemy of someone in the council. There are many possibilities.

    Sir Landry, you and I have only just met. So if what I'm about to say is wrong, I apologise. But does your desire to fight Geb really stem from strategy? It feels like you're trying to justify something that your heart already wants.
    "

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Upstate NY

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Zarra eyed The Pit.

    She'd been here several times before. It was still the best place to pick up ooze litter in bulk.

    She was a halfling, balance and agility came naturally to her kind. She could easily scamper across the make-shift bridges ...

    She eyed The Pit. She's still staring when the gust of wind shook the whole place.

    Then again, as her father always taught her, "Girl, don't be a bigger idiot than you have to be." Words to live by.

    Zarra manages to catch the motion of one Ody the Bold as he barely hangs on to the wall. Now this is something she can work with. A prisoner is always useful, and a life in generally worth saving.

    Gripping the shaky ground around the outside of The Pit with her bare toes, Zarra picks her way towards the goblin. As she goes, she starts pulling her linen rope from her pack. Generally they just use it at the custom's office to tie loads down, but here it could be a lifeline.

    Spoiler
    Show

    This seems like a good loose thread to pick up.

    Zarra will try to get as close to Ody as possible. Guessing Acrobatics for balance as she runs around the putside of the pit: (1d20+4)[10]
    Not sure where you're envisioning Ody to be. Zarra will get as close as possible before looping one end of the rope around a rock and throwing the other end to Ody. If she can't get that close, we can try the old "tie a rope to an arrow" trick and hope that Zarra doesn't hit Ody.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    "I'm not a native of Nex or Geb. You're right, I may be jumping to conclusions." Landry admits with a reluctant nod. Sachni's second question gets a solemn look from the knight, but he nods, taking a second before starting to explain.

    "The Whispering Tyrant still bedevils Avistan. He came within an inch of taking Absalom itself. Every day in the north, his legions march onward. We've reached the point that the Orcs of Belkzhan are one of the main forces defending half the continent. And that doesn't count the land already fallen before the Way." There's a grim look on Landry's face. It's easy to tell he's no novice, but a knight who fought and bled in this war. With a sigh, the former sentry gestures across the marketplace "The people of Nex have known a similar threat for as long as their nation has stood. Folk here hated the Ghost King and his legions with no help from me. My men and I came here hoping to find support for Lastwall's cause. Young blood that chafes against the bindings of peace, that want to cry "enough!" and venture out with us, to smite the undead in a way they can't down here, in this farcical place where vampires hold the farmland in a stranglehold."

    The last causes Sir Landry to spit into a gutter, in a manner most unbecoming of a Knight. Still, now he's warmed to his theme, a glint in his eyes starting to betray excitement at his prospects here. "The bloodless sods finally overreaching is helpful. The Three and Nine will never agree to war, their interests are too entwined with peace and trade, but the people are starting to demand it. If the citizens of Nex can't fight Geb, Iomedae willing, they'll join us and take the fight to the other great bastion of necromancy that befouls the land. A new Shining Crusade, backed by the Arclords and with all the magic of Quantium at its back!"

    The Knight clenches a gauntleted fist at the mere thought of such an event. He's silent for a few seconds, lost in the image, before returning to reality and their work with a bitter chuckle. "That much is just a far off dream, I'm afraid. Practically, we need whatever help we can get. Any new recruits are invaluable. If the... occasional deception brings us one more blade to defend the lands, it's worth the price. Iomedae should expect no less of us than our best when it comes to keeping the people safe."



    "All those who do good..."

    Peridora echoes the simple words, blushing at Adria calling her amazing. That much isn't true. But she can see the truth in the priestess' eyes, the light, and it helps her remember. She glances down one final time to the symbol around her neck, before turning back to Adria with a determined nod. "Okay."

    Closing her eyes, Peridora tries to concentrate. She hasn't managed to perform this spell before. She hadn't dared try it up to now. But there's a first time for everything, and if she can't manage this, she's got no safe path left. She starts to chant, "Xian Tass Mergolt..."

    "AAARRGH!" A violet bolt of magic shoots from Peridora's hand, impacting against the rockface and sending splinters tumbling down. The little mage almost hangs her head. She can't do this. She's not good enough. She needs to...

    No! Sarenrae! Sarenrae is watching over her! Ms. Adria said so! She can do this, save them both, without using the talisman!

    Once again, Peridora closes her eyes, gritting her teeth before trying the chant again, focusing with all her heart on the incantation and magic behind it. "Xian Tass Mergolt Vann Ebithir!"

    A spark. There's a faint blue fizzing spark, rising and circling Peridora's head. The young wizardess starts to glow, the tint of her spell's light enveloping her, as the spell began to take effect. Faint. Weak. The work of a novice mage, but there, holding true and stable.

    And then, a sound comes from the wall of the ooze pit.

    "Xian Tass""Mergolt Vann""Eb-it-thir""Xian Tass""Mergolt Vann""Eb-it-thir""Xian Tass""Mergolt Vann""Eb-it-thir"

    The holes cut into the cliff face light up one by one, glowing a clear sky blue. It's the ooze-forms. They're echoing Peridora's words, and pouring their own magic into the spell. The faint aura that surrounded Peridora becomes a brilliant azure glow. In a second, the same light surrounds Adria, Belginabo, Raka and her gorilla. Back a ways, Zarrachia can hear Goopy warble "Vann Ebithir!" "Vann Ebithir!" as the mystical energies of the spell spread to them as well

    Off to the side, Ody the Bold finally looses his grip, starting to fall just before Zarrachia's rope reaches him... only for his descent to slow as the blue aura envelops the unlucky goblin. He still continues downward into the pit, scratching frantically at the walls until he becomes a faint twinkle of sky blue that finally fades away, but it was likely much better than the poor Cindersnout had been expecting.

    Peridora looks up at Adria and Bel. The little mage is crying, tears streaming down beneath her glasses, but she's smiling all the same. She tightens her grip on Adria's hand for one final moment, whispering up to priestess and gnome.

    "Thank you."

    And with that, the little wizard lets go, and starts to drift downwards, into the darkness of the ooze pit below. Clasping her hand, Nihnin glances around, eyeing the shadows warily as they go, blade in hand. Whatever happens, she will keep this one safe.

    The oozes chant starts to fade as the pair descend, and the tramp of guardsmen's boots on rough ground rings out behind them. Soon enough, the miracle will be over. And the Pit Staff will have the unenviable task of trying to repair the devastated mishmash of scaffolding and hoists that allowed them to navigate the Ooze Pit. Even before the official estimate, it's clear at a glance it will be some time until anyone is able to descend to the base safely again.

    Or anyone is able to rise, short of finding another way out through the twisting passages of the Ooze Caves.



    "Uuuugh..."

    Ellie comes to in a dimly lit room, lying on a hard cold surface. She glances around her. The rocky walls seem hewn, not crafted, a rough stone face hastily made from rock. Affixed at regular intervals around the room, with two beside the cast iron door, are blue glowing orbs that cast the only faint light here. The one remaining feature appears to be the area she's lying in - a circular platform has been errected upon the chamber floor, with three wire mesh pylons around it and a series of arcane looking runes at its base.

    "Bomber girl?" Koma rises slowly to his feet beside Ellie, dusting off his coat before joining Ellie in looking across the room. He seems just as confused as her, staring up at the faint blue orbs. "What happened?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Party, take 200XP. You've earned it. You'll be hitting second level before too long at this rate.

    Now, a choice to those of you in the Ooze Pit. I'll allow one dialogue post per player while the Echo Event is going on. After that, you have to choose. Join Nihnin and Peridora in the Pit, and try to get them out safely? Or rendezvous with the Oenopion authorities, and see if you can get some rest/assistance before going down there? Sachni being up above and Ellie... elsewhere ensures that I'm dealing with a split party no matter what, so vote purely on what your character would want to do.
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-10-14 at 05:53 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •