New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Dungeons and Dragons (5th Edition) Class Tier List – 2019

Since the mid-1970s, tabletop fans have been gathering together, dice in hand, to play Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson’s long-famous Dungeons and Dragons masterpiece. The game, of course, has gone through some changes over the years. Since being acquired by Wizards of the Coast, the company best known for Magic: The Gathering, D&D has gone through five different editions.
    With every new edition, the mechanics and world building of the D&D universe have received some slight tweaks. Fifth edition Dungeons and Dragons has caused a massive resurgence in the game’s popularity, leaving many avid tabletop fans curious about how to pick up their dice and play the incredibly fun game.
    One of the first choices a new D&D player is confronted with is selecting a class. If you are having trouble choosing a class for your game, then look no further. Check out our tier list down below to see how each class ranks and which one is perfect for you.

Check it out here: https://www.gametruth.com/guides/dun...right-for-you/

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Dungeons and Dragons (5th Edition) Class Tier List – 2019

While I appreciate the attempt to rank the classes, it completely ignores multi-classing, which would make classes such as the Sorcerer much more effective (e.g. Sorlock, Sorcadin).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

As a monk, a player can easily move around the battlefield. However, the player will have to get creative if they want to provide utility in combat.
    Sure, Monk's aren't topping any list but this statement right here is something I can't agree with at all. Monk's have what is arguably the single best control ability in the game: Stunning Strike. I'm not sure I would rate any class as D. The only archetype deserving of that position is specifically Beast Master Ranger.

I personally would also rate Warlock lower, assuming this is meant to be a single class list, as Warlock levels beyond a certain point can be lackluster where just 2 levels in the class would have been good enough, which is an unfortunate thing about 5e.

Interesting perspective to be sure. Not sure I agree with most of the assessments.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2019-10-04 at 08:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    Sure, Monk's aren't topping any list but this statement right here is something I can't agree with at all. Monk's have what is arguably the single best control ability in the game: Stunning Strike. I'm not sure I would rate any class as D. The only archetype deserving of that position is specifically Beast Master Ranger.

I personally would also rate Warlock lower, assuming this is meant to be a single class list, as Warlock levels beyond a certain point can be lackluster where just 2 levels in the class would have been good enough, which is an unfortunate thing about 5e.

Interesting perspective to be sure. Not sure I agree with most of the assessments.
    Hey, Godot. Thank you for the feedback. I agonized over using that D tier for sure. I think there are a great number of counter arguments to this list and I respect them all. I believe I see your point too.

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback and have a great day.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Expected View Post
    While I appreciate the attempt to rank the classes, it completely ignores multi-classing, which would make classes such as the Sorcerer much more effective (e.g. Sorlock, Sorcadin).
    Hey, Expected.

You're right. Multi-classing is a dense layer of strategy that was not heavily considered for this tier list. I considered making a few points on that subject, but ultimately decided to stick to the effectiveness of each class as they stand on their own.

Still, you make a good point. Including multi-classing within this consideration would change a number of things, I believe.

Thank you for your feedback and have a great day.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I would rank rogues higher. I find that they are one of the best classes for starting players, as it is really easy to play a ranged rogue, not put yourself at risk while getting sneak attack almost every round.

Even melee rogues feel more tactically complex than barbarians while doing better damage (outside of optimization) and still contributing outside of combat. I would rank the a solid A or B.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Fighters better than Wizards? My, my, I wasn't expecting the take to be quite this hot.

I disagree with the Warlock ranking. B-tier at best, they might have consistent dpr with eldritch blast, but 2 spell slots per rest really hinder the class. Even by the time they get 4/rest its usually worse than having full caster spell slots and a more diverse spell list to pick from.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

There are no S, C, or D classes in 5e.
    If you are trying to abuse the game; Don't. And you're probably wrong anyway.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

On the topic of multiclassing...

Back in 3.X era, the JaronK tier list had an addendum which ranked Prestige Classes based on how much they added/subtracted from their intended base classes. Perhaps something like that for this? Instead of boosting a class based on it's MC potential, have a separate entry for MX dips which rank the power increase based on what a dip adds to another class.
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Descriptions sound lazy and arbitrary. Not much work done.

Author says no one can compare to a Cleric's healing when in 5e clerics are outclassed by druid healing. Says druids can't specialize when moon is one of the best tanks and shepherd is the best healer in the game.

Not much more to say. This isn't a great analysis and I can't take the tiers seriously. Its just one person's opinion.
    Last edited by sophontteks; 2019-10-05 at 11:46 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yeah, I think I would disagree with most of this.

Monks are awesomely powerful and I would certainly rate them higher than say, the barbarian or the ranger. Unfortunately this is more visible from the DMs side of the screen than the player's. The DM gets to see the spell that the wizard didn't cast because they were stunned.

Wizards are said to be less skilful than bards, which in isolation is fair enough, but no mention made of their superb ritual casting such that they don't need a lot of those skills.

Or the cleric... marked down for lack of in your face combat prowess, which again is fine, but then the fighter was never marked down for lack of healing ability or dearth of buff spells. It feels like the virtues of being able to do something are inconsistently evaluated.

One possible reason for some of the flaws is that it looks at the class at some ill defined level. Breaking them down by tiers of play might iron out some of the more controversial points.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Fighter and Pally in S tier, Wizard and Cleric in A? Is this purely for combat rather than campaign-level potential? 'cause damage is nice but ultimately feels rather insignificant next to teleportation, demiplane creation, minion creation, etc.

EDIT: To quote everyone's favourite Sith, "The power to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2019-10-05 at 03:38 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Wizard should be higher, warlocks lower, rogues higher, and monks much, much higher.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
    There are no S, C, or D classes in 5e.
    I agree but there are some subclasses that may grade lower than other options. Most are by the numbers fine but are less satisfying in what they attempt.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The only thing I agree with in this table is the bard being at the top(it is among the best classes).
    But I excepted to see druid higher.
    (wizard too because there is a lot of tricks that are very broadly applicable like casting guards and wards on a dungeon before entering it)
    Last edited by noob; 2019-10-05 at 01:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by sophontteks View Post
    Descriptions sound lazy and arbitrary. Not much work done.
    That's the impression I got as well. Lack of knowledge of how to optimize and play classes to their potential leads to inaccurate rankings.

Not to mention that there's not even basic standards of quality control here. For example it says that Monks are best as a "gorilla fighter" when it clearly means "guerilla fighter."
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2019-10-05 at 01:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    That's the impression I got as well. Lack of knowledge of how to optimize and play classes to their potential leads to inaccurate rankings.

Not to mention that there's not even basic standards of quality control here. For example it says that Monks are best as a "gorilla fighter" when it clearly means "guerilla fighter."
    *Sudden flashback to Gorilla Tactics School in XCOM2*
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Hehe was also gonna point out the monk gorilla fighter.

Personally I'd totally switch fighter and wizard, and for sure bring monk outta D. Stun spam is immensely powerful, and wasn't even really mentioned at all. That's kinda their core feature. Additionally they output quite a bit of damage early game, and are incredibly slippery late and capable of being a huge pain in the backside of casters and other supernatural threats...

If this guide is more focused on how beginner friendly /hard to master classes are then I would generally have fewer disagreements. In that case that should be made more clear however.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I found myself disagreeing with most of the list.

First off, I find it hard to discern three different tiers, let alone six.

Also, some descriptions are just undermined by stereotypes.

See the cleric.
    No, they don't easily outclasses everyone when it comes to healing.
    Someone mentioned druid, and it's likely true, for Healing Spirit reasons. But also, even a Thief with Healer feat is a good contender, at least in early and mid levels.

And yes, they can be competent damage dealers. Stellar even. It's just that, if you're trying to do damage with your one attack per turn weapon just because it has some measly 1d8 of whatever riding on, then yeah, it will look underwhelming. But ask any player who rolled a cleric for the past 4 or 5 years and they will tell you of one, darning spell. Spirit Guardians. This spell alone make the clerics the kings of horde killers imo. Also, Spiritual Weapon is a heavy contender for best use of bonus action (the other contender is likely Healing Word, from the same class).

Personally, I'd rate cleric as one of the three strongest classes, right alone Bards and Paladins. For the reason they all can do a good number of stuff and be really good at them.

Listing is very heavily dependent on the table, the campaign and the level everyone is playing. High level, druids and wizards are flipping everything.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Nicollo Corleone - The Scoundrel Malconvoker

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Minaerva - The Wild Caller from Rokiri Island.

Requiem Macabre Doc

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

That assessment is about class level D. Sorry, but nowhere near enough depth.

The sub classes need to be addressed individually.
    You also need to assess each on by Tier of play:
    Tier 1 (level 1-4) Tier 2 (level 5-10) and Tier 3 (level 11-16) and Tier 4 (level 17-20).

Things move around a bit as the group reaches different tiers.

I've seen monks in late tier 2/early tier 3 be incredible ... stun the toughest monster and the party focus fire is way more effective. Just one example.

A thought for you: 5e is a team game.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

21. - Top - End - #21

Bard in S tier? Druid and Wizard in A tier? "a cleric will never have the tanking abilities or damage dealing of some other classes"?!?!

First, Bard is not nearly versatile enough to rank S tier, Spell Secrets or no, and they've been rather consistently underwhelming IME.
    Second, Cleric has Spirit Guardians on full casting, easily making it the best tank and one of the best damage dealers.
    Third, Druid is a master of single target DPS in the form of summons (wolves, velociraptors, flying snakes), and also land based CC, and Wizards are CC gods. Something the author has clearly never seen.

Also Monk in D-tier, not Ranger. Shaking my head.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Any attempt to discuss and rank 5e classes that doesn’t break them down by tiers of play (at least Tiers 1&2 vs 3&4) isn’t going to be helpful.

Also, as D&D is a team game, ratings really need to be about how well classes fill their roles, but that’s also a hard discussion because roles in a tabletop rpg are so fluid compared to a skirmish game or MMPORG.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

I think tier discussions only do 3 things.
    1. Discourage people from playing the class they want because of its rating.
    2. Give people a tool to bully others into not playing what they want.
    3. Give people something to argue about on the internet
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

There is only 1 tier in 5e: good enough, but not overpowered. The differences in power between character is determined much more by 1) player skill 2) specific campaign 3) party setup/party optmization 4) choices in subclass, feats, spells, abilities.... than by 5) inherent differences in power between classes.

A few subclasses might be a little underwhelming, and a very few combo's are really game breaking (wish/simulacrum), but won't fly in any real game, and are of no consequence.

A tier list really has 0 value here, afaic.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Waazraath View Post
    There is only 1 tier in 5e: good enough, but not overpowered. The differences in power between character is determined much more by 1) player skill 2) specific campaign 3) party setup/party optmization 4) choices in subclass, feats, spells, abilities.... than by 5) inherent differences in power between classes.

A few subclasses might be a little underwhelming, and a very few combo's are really game breaking (wish/simulacrum), but won't fly in any real game, and are of no consequence.

A tier list really has 0 value here, afaic.
    I could see a reasonable tier list of "These are the easiest classes to play, followed by these harder to play classes, followed by the hardest to play classes."

That'd be reasonably useful-a new DM might not realize that, for instance, if you get help building the Sorcerer (ESPECIALLY in spell selection) actual play is pretty easy.

But in terms of actual in-game power? Yeah, no, they're all 100% playable.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Indeed, a 'universal' tier list is a poor man's ranking system; it lacks pertinent information and can be very misleading.

A better system is a chart with various roles and niches, ranking each class on the ability to fulfil them - Person_Man's Niche Ranking System for 3.5e is an example.

27. - Top - End - #27

PaladinGuy

We need a thumbs-up button

28. - Top - End - #28

I do disagree. A tier system itself is not a flawed concept. At its best, it can be quite beneficial while having no downsides asides from those occurring of its misuse. It is supposed to provide people with information on various potential imbalances within the system and thus both:
    1. Help the DMs adjust as necessary.
    2. Help the players plan as necessary.

The biggest issue here isn't the concept, it's the execution. More specifically, a tier system is only as good as the definition of what it is exactly describing. There's no definition here and thus little information of value. A tier system needs to start with definitions on what it is actually assessing. JaronK's classic work for 3.5, while not perfect, actually did a great job in this regard and thus enabled people to understand what kind of information it is intended to convey. To kinda do that, this list seems to only consider combat contributions and only against enemies that aren't trying to be clever. It is assumed that everyone can bring the brunt of their power to bear, that everyone is fighting on fair terms and that the battle is where the key actions take place. In short, this seems like a very casual Combat as Sports kind of tier list, but even there it has gross inaccuracies. It also seems to be analysing primarily offensive and defensive power and comparing classes to other classes doing the same thing, but classes that are extremely narrow (such as the Fighter) are given a full gloss-over and just assumed that what they do is sufficient for one PC slot in a party. That is to say, the tier list doesn't account for the fact that a party of 4 Fighters would be horribly screwed when they need to do anything but fight a fair fight against enemies against which their main trick (hit it with a sword/shoot it with a bow) works.

In 5e, considering archetypes separately is necessary as there's huge difference between e.g. Thief and Arcane Trickster (Arcane Trickster is about a tier higher at least). One should also consider more broad cases than just simple combat; complex skill checks, complex social circumstances, information gathering, etc. is equally a part of class power and some classes excel there while others have nothing to contribute. I've played an entire session where the party Barbarian did nothing and Fighter was down to rolling a couple of (admittedly awesome) Intimidate checks towards the end. It happened to be a social/information gathering quest with only a single combat and that one took place in total darkness (due to party decision to abuse the night). I think this speaks for issues with Barbarian and Fighter for instance - in one leg of the game they literally have no game while none of the classes that do are necessarily any worse than them in combat.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2019-10-06 at 09:18 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

The tier system in 3.5 was pretty accurate. But that was a throroughly flawed, weared out system.

And that system had a pattern to it. It was Prepared Casters>Spontaneous Casters>Limited List Casters and ToB Classes>Classes that can be really good at something>Classes who can be kind of good in something>Classes who can't even be good

The point of that tier list is that if, at the same table, you have someone playing a Tier 1 class and another a Tier 4, you run the risk of the former player overshadowing the latter completely.

In 5.0, we don't have such objective layers. In one of my earliest games, the most reliable single target damage dealer was our longbow ranger, that class that is considered the "weakest" by many.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Nicollo Corleone - The Scoundrel Malconvoker

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Minaerva - The Wild Caller from Rokiri Island.

Requiem Macabre Doc

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    We need a thumbs-up button
    For saying something you don't agree with? Or for you tearing down someone's comment without in any way providing a refutation? I actually kinda agree with the comment and lol'd at the third point...