New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Umber Terra: A Shattered Realm

Tonic makes sort of a throaty gurgle "Damn, another one?" He says with obvious disgust. "You know..." he sighs "fine, I don't care. If you recover my goods and make the delivery you'll get your reward, but don't think that makes us friends. I don't want you rock worshipers in here. It's bad for business." He steps into a room behind the bar and comes out with a copy of the bill of sale that has both the name and address of his establishment but also the name and address of the buyer along with a list of goods. "Here. You'll need this."
    To all things there is an end. With every end, a new beginning.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

"I am honored," Tekaji says. He carefully climbs onto the large bird.
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Burt takes the list and looks the bartender over.

"Let me change your mind, not all of us are bad."

He moves to his doctor.

"-snort- let's go doc, we have a job to look into"
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

"Hahn?" Ina froze in surprise, suddenly concerned about dislodging the impromptu passenger. She slowly swiveled her head around to look at the minotaur on her back, neck feathers fluffing out.
    "I am... flattered you consider it an honor, but without a harness, it might be your final honor," she said ruefully. "I'm afraid you'll likely slip off when I take off. There's quite a lot of air pressure across my back in the initial ascent, and unless you're very experienced riding birds, you will struggle to keep your grip. It's not safe to rely on gripping my feathers, either," Ina explained.
    "I can instruct you how to use the harness, or I can carry you by the arms, in my talons. The latter option is likely to be a lot less comfortable, and I would have to get airborne and swoop down to pick you up, rather than taking off with you already in place."
    Spoiler: Aurora
    Show

Spoiler: Inaemehkiwak (Ina)
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ssithiss remained expressionless during Tonic and Burt's exchange. Meanwhile he waved over the waitress and made a quick order, "A bassket of hard boiled eggss...to go pleasse," he requested as he gave her the appropriate amount of coin plus a little extra. Turning to his companion, he nodded, "Asss ssoon asss my food arrivess, we can go," he replied. "Sshouldn't take long."
    Festival of Heroes

Markas Fletcher (Male Human Monk):
    bald, approaching middle age, but very fit.

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The waitress nods and hustles back to the kitchen. Within moments she returned with a small basket woven of grass, inside was a neatly folded large leaf containing 6 sliced hard boiled eggs. They were cool to the touch indicating that they had been cooked earlier in the day and kept on hand. "Here you are sir. Have a good evening." Her manners seemed more polite and practiced and less comfortable than when she was dealing with Burt.

The men in the back sat back down. "Eh, what's it matter anyway?" He mumbled before they returned to their conversation.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Burt let's out a snort on his way out.

"-snort- come on doc. Let's go talk some sense into some would be brutes."

Burt leads doc toward where they ought to be heading
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As Burt and Ssithiss exit the tavern they encounter an enormous bird standing in the street with Tekaji clumsily clutching her wings at the shoulder.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Burt stopped watching in confusion.

"-Snort-... Ive known a Taurian to mount many a creature.... but.... a giant bird? Thats a new one."

He shook his head.

"-Snort- Oy! You there! with the fist full of feathers! We could really use the help of another Umber touched.... with the depth of power you possess.... Id feel more comfortable facing these would be brutes."
    Festival of Heroes:

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Ina's head turned quickly, her crest and all the other feathers on her head lifting up, sparks arcing the gaps between the feathers as they moved.
    "Another?" she asked, pale blue eyes flicking between the other tauren and the yuan-ti he walked with, her gaze lingering slightly longer on the yuan-ti.
    "Do you think it's wise to speak openly about that?" she asked finally.
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Tekaji grimaces at the second Mintauran. He briefly clutches Ina's feathers for reassurance, then leaps down off her back. "If I was not clear earlier, I have no desire to face anyone. That power you praise is a curse from the Umber. If I wield it again, I will do horrible things...and worse, I may not be able to stop."
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Burt looked between the bird and the tauran.

"I dont think its something to be ashamed of, or something to fear. The power of the umber is a power to be mastered. It has a purpose."

Bert moved along a little further but stopped again.

"Even if you dont use that power... it would be nice to have someone with that axe to scare off some bully's who have tried to rob the people of this town of their supplies. "
    Festival of Heroes:

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, don't be silly," Ina chided gently. "Curses are inflicted by people, not nature. Even the most destructive powers are useful," she said, folding her wings with a crackle, and tilted her head back to look up at the sky.
    "Lightning..." she said contemplatively. "Alone, it is not productive. But when it strikes sand, it makes lovely glass shapes. When it strikes wood, it burns, making way for new growth. When it strikes metal, it creates heat and energy that can be harnessed, if one has the right tools."
    The thunderbird looked down again, tilting her head to eye the two minotaurs. Her crest bobbed up and down, static rippling across the feathers as they moved.
    "One cannot create beauty without first destroying something."
    Last edited by Wolfykins; 2019-10-15 at 06:43 PM.
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #44

RedWizardGuy

”A mosst interessting philossophy,” Ssithiss chimes in, ”The unique powerss beingss ssuch asss you possssessss. Conssider them to be toolss. Neither good nor evil. It iss who ussess them and how that matterss. I agree. Do you wissh to accompany ussss assss well?” he addressed the unusual Avian.
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Tekaji lowers his head. "I wanted to forget..." he mutters, despair in his voice. Then the Mintauran's entire body tenses. He grabs his woodchopping axe in a combat stance. Looking up, the complacency and conflict in his eyes has been replaced with a barely constrained fervor. Heat seems to radiate from Tekaji. "Fine. You wanna see me use this?!? Lead the damned way!" Barely waiting for a response, he begins stomping away from Ina, almost charging Burt.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Burt nods and snorts

"-snort- this way brother."

Burt leads off in the direction he was told.

"Bird of thunder, you are welcome to join us."
    Festival of Heroes:

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Ina's crest lifted, her tail fanned out, and her wings quivered slightly, static flickering over any moving feathers. Her pupils dilated and constricted as she looked at the yuan-ti.
    "That is... odd to hear, from a dracokin," she said slowly.
    Her crest tipped more forward and her head stretched towards the others as Tekaji moved away from her, eyeing the group cautiously.
    "I'll go... My name is Inaemehkiwak," she said. After a beat, she asked, "Where are we going?"
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #48

RedWizardGuy

”I am alssso a Doctor,” Ssithiss replied, ”I know that in the handsss of a sssurgeon a blade can sssave a life, while in the handsss of a warrior, it can end a life. The sssame plantsss can be ussses to make a potttion or poissson,” the Yuan-ti pointed out, ”My name isss Ssithiss Tor. And our quarry isss near redwood creek bridge.” He was about to partake in the meal he took with him, but quickly covered the eggs as they now had an Avian companion.
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A decision made, the party set off north along the Markham road. Ina soared overhead, her form blending into the clouds in a natural camouflage. The other three going by foot (or scale). After an hour they near the bridge. Ina arrives first, with the others arriving shortly thereafter. The area seems vacant.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Ina circled the area overhead, using the updrafts to soar with minimal energy, her attention focused downward, inspecting the area below.
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20)[15]+(1d6)[3]
    Spoiler: explosion contingency rolls
    Show
    (1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[18]
    (1d20)[9]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[6]

The thunderbird spiraled downward and landed on the railing on the bridge. She fluffed her feathers, and tilted her head to look at her companions as they caught up.
    "I see hoof prints and wagon tracks along the bank of the river," she informed them, looking to the right of the road and lifting her beak to gesture towards her find.
    Last edited by Wolfykins; 2019-10-15 at 09:31 PM.
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Increasing his stride her gets to the bridge and looks down the river toward the direction the bird had indicated.

"-Snort- I see, Good eye. It looks like they went that direction!"

Burt moves to follow the tracks.

"Lets see if we can catch up to them."
    Festival of Heroes:

22. - Top - End - #52

RedWizardGuy

Eating his meal while Ina was sky borne, Ssithiss discards the basket when they reach the tracks. ”I wonder how old thessse trackssss are.” he hissed as he followed the others.
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

"Not very old," Ina replied. "There's grass there that was trampled, and it's starting to spring back. So probably a couple hours, tops." She spread her wings, paused to shift her footing, bobbed up and down a bit, and then took off with a powerful flap of her wings.
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The group trudged through 40ish feet of knee high grass and then another 20 feet into the treeline when they came across the wagon. Ina perched atop a tall oak. The yoke was in the mud, the horses that had drawn it were gone. There were three arrows lodged in the wagon. Two in the post rail nearest the driver's seat and another in the seat cushion directly in the center. The wagon was empty, two long wide drag marks ran down the muddy bank and into the river. The first sun had set and her twin was on the horizon. It will be dark soon. (What do you do?)
    Last edited by STDM Grizzly Ad; 2019-10-17 at 08:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

"Looks like someone found this wagon before we did," Ina remarked, crest flattening against the back of her head. "But there are no bodies. Is that good or bad? What are we looking for?" she asked, looking at the other three and clicking her beak.
    The thunderbird flicked her wings, the blue-green-gold iridescence on her primary and secondary feathers showing more clearly as they caught the light of the setting suns.
    "Nobody actually said why we were coming this way or what we were looking for, exactly. And I didn't catch your names," she added, looking at the two minotaurs.
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Burt looked over the wagon, inspecting it for clues. When the bird spoke again, his pig head poked up over the top and looked to her.

"-Snort- Oh. Right, Supplies for the town was intercepted, this was the supply wagon, we are gonna get paid to retrieve the supplies, if we can. "

He looked at the tracks going directly to the river. He looked up and down stream, trying to look for clues.

"My name is Burt.... My many legged friend is my doctor."
    Festival of Heroes:

27. - Top - End - #57

RedWizardGuy

"Many-legged?" Ssithiss looked confused, "Ah...a joke...But the doctor part isss true. If thessse trackssss lead to the river, perhapsss we ssshould follow the direction it flowssss." he suggested.
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Once hes looked everything over, Burt say in the grass and did his best to think everything over.

(1d20)[10] + (1d4)[1] Logic

[SPOILER=Overflow]
    (1d4)[1]
    (1d4)[2]
    (1d4)[4]
    (1d4)[4]

Burt hums as he gets up.

"Alright.... so three taurens did this. They loaded up the loot, and the horses into Canoe and went downstream. If we move we can catch them tonight, or we can wait til morning and possibly lose em."

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2019-10-17 at 09:21 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Ina's crest and chest feathers flexed with a faint crackle.
    "They put the horses in canoes? That's strange! They would take up a lot of space and panic easily. Are you sure they didn't just cut them loose?" the thunderbird asked, nonplussed.
    "I do think we should just go ahead and go after them. I can light the way if necessary. But we won't catch anyone off-guard that way."
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #60

RedWizardGuy

Ssithiss looked to the two Mintaurens, "I know that sssome beingsss possssessss the ability to sssee better in the dark than othersss. Can either of you do thisss? If ssso, pleassse lead the way." the doctor suggested.
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show