New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Umber Terra: A Shattered Realm

Beak clicking and crest bobbing angrily, the electricity on the thunderbird's feathers increased until it was buzzing, and then arced to the serpent and rippled in a wave across its scales!
    Immobilize, energy vs toughness (1d20)[11] + (2d6)[2][4](6)
    Spoiler: explosion contingency
    Show
    (5d20)[7][4][3][6][12](32)
    [rollv6d6[/rollv]
    Spoiler: Aurora
    Show

Spoiler: Inaemehkiwak (Ina)
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Serpent's muscles tightened, cramping with electrical pulses. Springer cries out in pain as both the shock and the squeezing of the constrictor's coils jolt his body.
    Enis also turns, drawing his bow and knocking an arrow.
    To all things there is an end. With every end, a new beginning.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Tekaji's eyes go wide as the snake wraps itself around Springer. He flinches, then anger grows in him until it overwhelms his mind. "Never again!!!" the Mintauran cries, as he raises his woodchopping axe over his head and charges at the snake, attempting to chop through its back half with a massive overhead strike!

(1d20)[5] + (1d8)[4]
    Explosion dice: (1d20)[14], (1d8)[4]
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The axe buries in the soil next to the snake who was unable to even flinch.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ssithiss didn’t react as fast as the others, probably due to the double whammy of having his life so far questioned followed by a more physical threat. He went with the others to confront the snake and saw the young one trapped in its coils, though the Avian seemed to already have it paralyzed. Moving quickly, the Yuan Ti attempted to pry the coils apart giving the kid an opportunity to escape, ”Pusssh while I pull!” he instructed as he heaved.

Might check: (1d20)[18] + (1d6)[5]

Spoiler: in case of explosion
    Show
    (1d20)[12] (1d6)[3]
    Festival of Heroes

Markas Fletcher (Male Human Monk):
    bald, approaching middle age, but very fit.

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ssithiss began counter coiling the serpent, loosening its grasp on Springer as the antelope struggled to move.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Burts response was delayed but his eyes bore into the Dragonkin. As the Thunder immobilized the creature Burt extended his hand as he focused and called upon the umber, called upon the earth to mark the dragonkin and seal his powers.

"Stone.... Seal..."

(1d20)[11] + (1d4)[2] Nullify(r1) vs Resolve
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The ground beneath the snake began to quiver and quake as Springer continued to fight his way loose.
    (1d20)[4] + (2d6)[6][3](9)
    Freeing himself easily, he moved away from the serpent and drew his dirk.
    (1d20)[2] + (2d4)[2][4](6) D1
    The Serpent remained frozen from the muscular paralysis inflicted by Ina's shocking strike.
    Spoiler: Kaboom
    Show

(5d20)[13][10][18][7][4](52) (5d6)[3][1][4][4][6](18) (5d4)[3][1][4][3][4](15)
    Last edited by STDM Grizzly Ad; 2019-10-24 at 09:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Burt closes eyes listening.

"Wait... the umber wishes it sealed away... I think I can do it. Let me try... if I cant, then you can still kill it afterward!"

Burt speaks to the group as a whole.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Tonka's fists were raised and ready to strike but when the earth began to shake at Burt's will he decided to step back and see if the stranger really could shape the stone as the legends of old had spoken of. He held his hand up to stay his men.

(Actions held for Tonka, Regis, and Tova)

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Ina hissed and clicked her beak. "Then I will make sure it doesn't get away, and if you fail, I will eat it!" she squawked assertively, her pale blue eyes glinting in the dim light.
    The thunderbird banked her wings sharply, creating a small, precise thunderclap snapping across the serpent's head!
    Stunned, energy vs toughness (1d20)[18] + (2d6)[4][5](9)
    Spoiler: explosion
    Show
    (5d20)[12][17][12][1][20](62)
    (6d6)[4][3][6][1][1][1](16)
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Enis and Tekaji hold and wait to see what Burt is attempting.

13. - Top - End - #133

RedWizardGuy

Ssithiss looks at the scene in front of him with a mixture of fear and awe. He waited with bated breath to see if the Umber is successful...
    Last edited by paladin_artea; 2019-10-25 at 04:33 PM.
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Burt focused as he let a throaty hum issue from his lips. He extended his hands toward the dragonkin as his fingers clenched in a closing motion. He called upon the Umber Terra to immobilize and seal away the Dragonkin.

"Stone... COFFIN!" Creative vs Toughness

(1d20)[19] Advantage (1d20)[17]

(1d6)[1] Advantage (1d6)[1]

Spoiler: Explosions
    Show

(1d20)[17] (1d4)[3]
    (1d20)[16] (1d4)[2]
    Festival of Heroes:

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

frown Re: Umber Terra: A Shattered Realm

Dust, sand, and tiny pebbles began clinging to the snake's static charged body. The ground beneath it continued to quake when suddenly the earth split and much like watching frost freeze on a window, crystal shards of blue-gray stone began to creep across the snake's paralyzed form until finally all that remained was a roughly snake shaped rock formation. A strange sense of calm settled on the area.

(IO over)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Ina sighed, her feathers collapsing down against her, and she folded her wings.
    "I was kinda hoping that wouldn't work," she admitted ruefully.
    The thunderbird tilted her head to the side and looked at Springer.
    "Are you alright? How bad is that bite?" she asked.
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Springer stretched, wincing slightly, "Ah, a little sore around the ribs but luckily it looks like my leathers took the biggest sting out of the bite." he eyes Ssithiss a moment and says "I suppose I misjudged you. I owe you one doctor."

18. - Top - End - #138

RedWizardGuy

Ssithiss moves over towards Sprigger, ”Do you wisssh for me to examine your wound? Even if it iss sssuperficial, there isss the possssibility you have been injected with venom,” he pointed out.
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

"I doubt it," Ina said, casting a critical eye at the now-stone serpent. "It behaved like a constrictor. If it was venomous, I doubt our friend would have been able to crawl out of its coils when you pulled them apart for him. He probably would've been paralyzed or unconscious."
    She flicked her wings and fluffed the feathers on her cheeks.
    "But on the other wing, the precaution is not a bad one. You lose nothing by checking."
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Tekaji leans on his axe as his arms quake. He quietly moves back to the outskirts of the conversation and stares into the woods.
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Burt heaved with effort as the Crystal's surged upon the dragonkin. He stood there watching the manifestation of his connection to the umber. His muscles flexed and twitched as he stood there in awe of what just happened.

"Thats... new, ina.... do you know what just happened?"
    Festival of Heroes:

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Ina looked at Burt, then glanced at the other minotaurs and sighed. She looked away, crest lowering.
    "Even the old stories are dying?" she asked in a very low voice. Looking at Burt again, she spoke louder.
    "I haven't witnessed anything quite like that personally. But Kha told me the old stories of the first of your kind. And what you did is very similar to how they imprisoned the Misikinubik. If that's how Umber wants it handled again, then so be it, but I think it's a mistake. They were released once before, and could be again," she said solemnly.
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #143

RedWizardGuy

Ssithiss looked at Ina, "While it iss true that ssserpent wasss acting asss a conssstrictor, I wouldn't leave anything to chance. I myssself have propertiesss of both conssstrictor and venomousss ssserpents." He halted in examining Sprigger at Burt's reaction to his own efforts and Ina's response. If he were Umber he would have paled. His voice started low and started to raise slightly,"Are you telling usss that after you yourssself sssaid the Umber wissshed the ssserpent sssealed away, after you yourssself actually did it, you claim ignoranssse asss what had jussst happened!? That either makesss you mad or a liar. Either way, you are dangerousss," he hissed firmly.
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Tekaji looks intensely at Ina after her words. His eyes seem to burn as he grumbles, "YES."

The Mintauran picks up his axe again. "We did not understand, at first, but we learned quickly and well from the Dracokin. We learned what it was to bring death, and pain, and suffering. We learned war." He spits the word 'war' like a curse. "It was terrible...but enlightening." Tekaji seems to study the sharp end of his wood chopping axe. "Maybe mercy made us weak. Maybe peace was just an illusion. Maybe the only way for the Umber to ever be safe is to kill them all." Tekaji's breathing grows heavier. "We can bring the same horror to them that they brought to us. Destroy THEIR gods, invade THEIR sacred spaces, kill THEIR younglings and spread their blood on the ground. Maybe it's not a curse after all...maybe it's a message too..."

Tekaji trails off, staring into space and shaking back and forth slightly.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

"Tekaji!" Ina squawked sharply. She hopped over to him and spread one wing over him, as if shielding a chick.
    "It is one thing to kill a predator that attacks you so it cannot attack again, or to hunt for food," she said in a low voice. "It is another entirely to slaughter for sport. Bloodlust will be your undoing."
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #146

RedWizardGuy

Ssithiss turned next to Inaemehikiwak, but eventually addressed eveyone there, "You asssked me earlier about how I feel about life in Donvan'sss Fall. You alssso sssaid that one mussst adapt or die. Adaptation isss a ssslow processss. There may ssstill be tensssion between the Dracokin and Umber living there, but they have chosssen to try and coexissst peacccefully. It will take time, generationsss perhapsss for the old hatredsss to die...but more importantly, there isss no violence to the ssscale thessse beingsss wisssh to inflict upon thisss world. Ssstart another war? And you wisssh me to ssside with thossse who a few minutesss ago ssshot at me on sssight?! And Burt who iss connected to the Umber and sssealed a ssserpent in ssstone. Sssomeday he may decccide I am to ssshare the sssame fate. Tekaji jussst ssspoke with sssuch hatred asss to wisssh the deathsss of hatchlingsss who hass never done harm! Asss if they could be resssponsssible for the crimesss of their forebearsss. By necccesssity, I have come to believe that the passst isss the passst. It cannot be undone. I can only look ahead. I am alssso a doctor. Mercccy isss part of my trade. What reasssonsss can anyone of you give me to trusst that I'll even leave here alive? What reasssons would I have to join your quessst? I have heard and ssseen nothing that givesss me caussse to abandon my life at Donovan'sss Fall, the beingsss of which would have more difficultiesss without my ssservicccesss. Ssso tell me. Why ssshouldn't I leave here? Or do you wisssh me sssealed away or ssslaughtered. If ssso, I won't make it easssy. That I asssure you!"
    Last edited by paladin_artea; 2019-10-27 at 08:13 PM.
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

burt looked to Doc with Confusion.

"No Doc... I only had a feeling... I voiced the feeling..., I didnt know that crystal would come out, Ive never done that before. I know you doc, you would never hurt people. Id never do that to you. "

Burt looked shocked over at Tekaji

"-Snort-, Woah... I think thats too far... There is too much innocence between us and the actual foes of the umber. "

Looking back to doctor he moved toward his physician.

"-Snort- Ill ensure your safety ssithiss. You have my word on that."
    Festival of Heroes:

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Tekaji face goes slack at Ina's words. He looks like he's been struck. The axe goes limp in his hands. "But I..! But you!... You said!... I thought... Maybe it was okay... Maybe it was all for a reason... Oh spirits, they killed so many... so many of our young warriors... I just wanted to forget... Just...wanted...to forget..." The grey-furred Mintauran crumbles and curls up under Ina's wing, accepting her embrace.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Ina lifted her head to look at Ssithiss. She was quiet for a moment.
    "You are young, so I will forgive you for your dangerous words. If you want to leave, I will take you back myself. No one here would stop me," she said confidently.
    "But before you make that kind of decision, I have a few questions for you," she said, her voice becoming noticeably colder.
    "One, are you sure the Umbers in your town are content to live as they do, or have you considered that they are subjugated, living quietly because to do otherwise is to risk death? Are you very, very sure you would even know? Are you sure they would tell you doctor or no, without knowing if you might betray them to the authorities for being rebels?"
    "Two, have you considered, even once, what kinds of horrors and atrocities these people would have to have seen and experienced in order to react so viscerally? They are akin to cows, sheep, and deer. Do you think those are animals prone to bloody aggression? What does it take to make an antelope attack a crocodile?"
    "And three, what exactly do you think I was suggesting? I have made it clear, haven't I, that I do not want to see more die! I do think we need to find a way to coexist. But that doesn't mean I think sealing aggressive monsters in stone, where they can be released sometime in the future as happened before, is a permanent solution to the problem. When a predator attacks, you do your best to kill it, lest it come after you again. If a wolf attacks a moose, the moose will not hold back. It will gore the wolf with its antlers and stomp it with its hooves until it will never move again. But the moose does not from there go forth and seek to eradicate all wolves from the earth!" she said sternly.
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Tonka eases up closer to the stone sarcophagus. He places his hand on it. "It is rendered harmless for now. You, friend, possess a gift unseen for longer than is known. It is no mere chance that brought you here. You may take these goods. Do with them as you see fit. I trust the Umber to guide your path. When you return to Donovan's Fall, find an elder named Cevus Stronghorn. You'll know him by the missing horns. He knows how to find us. I want to see this mine of yours."

He stands in silence as the questions come to light among the group listening as you talk among yourselves. "You" he gestures toward Tekaji "You harbor great pain, and you shoulder that burden alone. The darkness may consume you if you cannot share the burden and allow yourself to be helped. I sense in you that struggle. It is often most difficult for those to accept help, who are the first to help others. Do not be consumed."

Tova hears the conflict in the conversation and speaks up above the din. "Mercy was our way, until we were forced into a war we were unprepared for. Your concerns that repeating past mercies will only lead to a cycle of repeated histories echoes my own." He drops the log he was holding back down to once more form a bench. "But if I've learned anything serving the rebellion, it's that trust in the Umber is never misplaced. If they chose to encase this creature through you, then I will heed their mercies. Perhaps this beast received mercy because it was a mindless creature only acting on instinct perhaps there are those from whom the Umber will withhold their mercy, or perhaps they will empower us all to once again set the dragons and their kind in stone. It is all yet to be discovered, but I know that we need to shift the balance if we are to rebuild."