The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default [closed to new interest] Drow Against Midnight

The drow city of Zirnakaynin is in danger: A mad drow matron named Allevrah of House Azrinae plans to use powerful magic to call a massive asteroid to smash the cities of the hated surface elves living above, but as the wiser drow now realize (though the Azrinae deny it), that would also cause the massive caverns of the Underdark directly below to collapse. As some of the most skilled adventurers among the drow, you have been tasked with stopping this catastophic event. Matron Alicavniss of House Vonnarc, a powerful wizard rather than a priestess, estimated that perhaps a few weeks remain in which stopping it is possible, and supplied you with some ideas as to how, but you must travel to the highly dangerous Land of Black Blood.

Zirnakaynin is a fairly conventional drow city in which worship of the Spider Queen Lolth is prominent, but it's not a monopoly; other demon lords are worshipped there as well, including Lolth's grandson Selvetarm. As a result, males are nearly equal to females, though no House is led by a male. House Azrinae is known to worship the Demon Lord of Knowledge, Abraxas.

The party will be accompanied by Freel, a hunter troll (as per SRD). Any player may post actions for the troll.

Posting frequency should be at least 2 / week.

Spoiler: the 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5, with homebrew material.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

A modified version of Paizo's Second Darkness: Ch. 6 - Descent Into Midnight

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4 players

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

GITP forum.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

14th level. The drow LA is assumed to have already been bought off.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

125k gp plus a Vest of Resistance +5, 20 doses of drow poison (DC 13, 75 gp each), a Mwk hand crossbow with 20 bolts, a backpack, a 50' silk rope, 5 vials of antitoxin, and a slotless Ring of Sustenance.

You may also choose to start with a Cave Gecko lizard mount (see below) trained for combat riding.

For starting equipment, potions/oils cost half, and Drow, Spider, or Underdark themed rods and wondrous magic items also cost half.

You can have a 'slush fund' of unspent gold, from which you can pull any desired item within cost limits as long as you could reasonably have been carrying it. Items pulled from this fund cost double (and don't get the discount noted above) and once an item is pulled, it can't be changed or returned to the fund.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Homebrew classes ONLY. No Tier 1 classes. No class "fixes".

Classes should be balanced against official 3.5 classes and must not make any 3.5 class obsolete by comparison. Tier 3 preferred.

You can request to use a homebrew class of your choice. All details must be freely available online and preferably not too complicated.

My own homebrew classes are available for use:

Arcane Seer, Blademage, Fire Master, Skeletal Avatarist, Stonemage, Dualblade

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Drow only.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

32 Point Buy. HP is max at 1st level, (half max on the die) + 2 + appropriate bonuses at each subsequent level.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Any alignment, but it will bear on your reason for being sent on this mission:

Good: You either hide your tendencies or are a known rebel, in which case you are being made to serve instead of being executed, and have agreed to it.

Neutral: You may be a malcontent, in which case you are being asked to prove your loyalty.

Evil: You see a chance to advance your status by helping to save the community. Also note: Don't engage in gratuitous or graphic violence.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

NO multiclassing.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Players use the forum roller. The DM uses it too, but will sometimes make rolls secretly by other means.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Block inititiative: Initiative will be rolled only to see if any PCs act before the enemies. PCs can act in any order.

Combat may involve very simple maps or 'theater of the mind' (i.e. no map) because it's easier on the DM.

The Dodge feat gives a flat +1 dodge bonus to AC. No pre-game crafting. No Leadership feat. Shivering Touch and its lesser version offer a Fort save to negate. Banned psionic powers: Energy Stun, Psychic Reformation.

Use Rich Burlew's Diplomacy.

In general, don't expect social skills (Bluff, Intimidate, Diplomacy) to work wonders. Regardless of the roll, if an NPC wouldn't plausibly believe something or behave a certain way, then he won't. If it is plausible that he might, then the roll does matter. If you can't simulate a silver tongue with your own words, you should probably not try to play a PC who has one.

You can take up to 2 Flaws and 2 Traits. If you want to trade in a familiar for a feat, that counts as one of the Flaws (Loner).

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A short background and character description is appropriate. Briefly note any special enemies, allies, house affiliation, etc. but a long and detailed history is unlikely to come into play and is not appropriate. Also, write a couple of lines of IC dialogue by your character interacting with someone.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

A combination.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Core, SRD, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, Completes, PHB2, spells on your class spell list which may be from other sources, Underdark, Drow of the Underdark, other sources by request (which can include homebrew)

Spoiler: Cave Gecko
    Show
    Cave Gecko, CR 4, N Large animal
    Init +8; Senses blindsight 60 ft., darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision, scent
    AC 14, touch 9, flat-footed 13 (+5 natural, –1 size)
    hp 68 (8d8+32)
    Saves Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +4
    Weakness light blindness
    Move 40 ft.; climb 40 ft.
    Melee bite +11 (2d6+6)
    Str 23, Dex 11, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 6
    Base Atk +6; Grp +2
    Feats Endurance, Improved Initiative, Run
    Skills Balance +13, Climb +28, Hide +4 (+8 in stony areas), Listen +2, Spot +2
    Expert Climber (Ex) The unique physiology of gecko feet allows geckos to climb any surface, no matter how slick or sheer. In effect, cave geckos are treated as constantly being under a natural version of the spell spider climb. This ability also provides them with an additional +8 bonus on Climb checks, which stacks with their racial bonus.
    Skills: Cave geckos have a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. They receive a +4 circumstance bonus to Hide in areas of natural stone. They can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-10-20 at 02:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Drow Against Midnight

This looks interesting. I will see what I can put together. I have an idea of a home brew class I have been trying to play. I will link to it for approval when I get home.

EDIT: The class I would like to use if the Hero Reborn. It is found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...o+reborn+peach
    Last edited by paradox26; 2019-10-05 at 12:23 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

P26: Use of the Hero Reborn is denied. It is far more powerful than normal. I hope that you can find something else interesting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Okay, no problem. I will keep looking. Once we have a base class picked and approved, are we able to use published prestige classes, or do we have to use homebrew for those too? Or does the ban on multiclassing ban include prestige classes?

EDIT: Is it possible to use the mechanics of a class, while changing the fluff? There is a class I have an interest in trying (I often apply for gestalt games using both of those), but the fluff is quite silly, being about a so-called Real Man. It is even called that. The mechanics are okay, I think, it would just need a change in the fluff.
    Here it is, for your perusal:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=36

In case that is not acceptable, here is a more sensible class that would require no changes, the Stormchild. Is this okay?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...3&postcount=42
    Last edited by paradox26; 2019-10-05 at 09:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This looks like the perfect opportunity to try that stonemage of yours.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kinem, how do you feel about this class I made? Basically a warlock/spellthief hybrid.
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

No prestige classes; all PCs must be single classed only.

P26: The "Real Man" could perhaps be re-flavored as "Demon-Infused" or something like that. The Taunts need to be single-target, Spell-like (SR: yes), language-dependent as well as mind-affecting, and limited to a number of uses per day (total, not each) equal to 1/2 class level. With those changes, it might form the basis for an acceptable class suitable for D&D play.

The Stormchild looks mostly OK with the exception of Paralytic Jolt. Get rid of the Dazing on a successful save (since otherwise you could lock down any foe by using it every round, obviously not OK) and limit it to 1/2 class level uses per day, and I think it could be acceptable.

T999: Could be interesting.

RB: It looks to me that the Essence Thief makes the Warlock obsolete, as well as also being stronger than the Spellthief. Can you make a case that it does not overshadow those classes?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Excellent. I will take a closer look at both classes, and decide which I will use. The changes you suggest to both sound perfectly reasonable. I wasn't planning on using those abilities mentioned much anyway, so it is no great loss.

I was pretty sure single class meant precluding prestige classes, but figured I should check to confirm.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2019-10-05 at 12:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

I think the focus is different than both.
    It doesn't natively have spellcasting like the Spellthief. I agree it overshadows the Warlock. I think the one change I'd make to alleviate this would be to remove the invocations. It would give a different feel but I think this is more inline of what you're looking for.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Ill submit a warlock (eldritch glaiver) - details are soon to follow

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

RB: The other problem is that a Spellthief needs to set up a Sneak Attack in order to steal, while an Essence Thief can just blast, thus being a better spellthief than the Spellthief. To compensate for that, the Essense Thief's stealing abilities need to allow a saving throw (Will neg DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Cha bonus). Do that, and lose the invocations, and you might have something acceptable there.

HB: Sorry but for this game, only homebrew classes are allowed. There are a lot of games that don't allow them so here's a chance to try them. Nothing unbalanced though.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-10-05 at 03:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Kinem, I'm good with that if you are. Let me play around with this and see what I can come up with .

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Posting interest, would Grod's Seer be acceptable?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

RB: OK.

A: Grod's Seer looks fine. You may also want to consider my own take on the concept, Arcane Seer, which has a better spell list but is more limited on some class features.

15. - Top - End - #15

Chimera

If i came up with a homebrew class on the spot, would it be considered (even if the answer is no)?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

MW: Sure, on equal footing.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's certainly one way to differentiate submissions real fast. Very nice. Would you be open to backporting (homebrew) Pathfinder classes? Once we're already in the realm of brew it's not like much needs to be changed besides disaggregating spot/listen/hide/&c

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

FG: I'd consider it, but some adjustment may be needed since PF classes are not quite balanced against 3.5 classes. In PF, damage output for martials tends to be higher (not considering optimization tricks), while a number of spells were made less powerful or not ported over.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-10-05 at 09:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Chimera

tongue Re: [3.5] Drow Against Midnight

MinotaurWarblad's Guild Hero (inspiration drawn from the Fable universe)

Spoiler: Class Data
    Show

HD: d4.
    BAB: Low.
    Fort.: Low.
    Ref.: Low.
    Will: Low.
    Skill points per level: 6 + Int mod.
    Class skills: Appraise, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Search, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Tumble.
    Armor proficiency: Guild Heroes are proficient with all armor, but not with shields.
    Weapon proficiency: Guild Heroes are proficient with all simple and martial weapons.

Spoiler: Class Features
    Show

Blood of William Black (Ex.): Starting at 1st level, you begin to activate minor abilities inherited from your predecessors, beings who lived long before the current era. You regain 1 lost hit point per minute, up to half your hit point maximum.
    At levels 3, 7, 11, 15, and 19, you reduce the armor check penalty of armor you wear by 1.
    At level 7, you treat medium armor as if it were light armor when determining your speed.
    At level 11, you gain Endurance as a bonus feat and can sleep in heavy armor without being fatigued or exhausted.
    At level 15, you treat heavy armor as if it were medium armor when determining your speed.
    At level 19, you treat heavy armor as if it were light armor when determining your speed.

Hero Disciplines: Starting at 2nd level, you become a hero, able to far exceed the boundaries of normal folk. Choose one boon from each of the three hero disciplines, described below (you gain three boons in total). You gain two additional boons from any of the three disciplines at every level after 2nd, an additional boon from the Strength or Skill disciplines at every odd-numbered level after 2nd, and an additional boon from the Will discipline at every even-numbered level after 2nd.

Spoiler: Strength (Ex.)
    Show
    Your boon is a Health ability, a Physique ability, or a Toughness ability. These three abilities can each be selected no more than eight times, and you can't make the eighth selection until you have at least 10 levels in this class.

- If you choose Health I, you gain a +1 inherent bonus to your Constitution score and you regain 1 additional lost hit point per minute, up to half your hit point maximum. In addition, you gain a +1 competence bonus to Fortitude saving throws.
    > Each further selection (Health II through VII) increases the inherent bonus by 1, the hit point regain by 1, and the competence bonus to half the inherent bonus (if otherwise lower). When you select Health VIII, the inherent bonuses becomes +10, the hit point regain from this ability and your Blood of William Black feature is replaced with Fast Healing 1 that functions as long as you are below half your hit point maximum, and the competence bonus becomes +5.

- If you choose Physique I, you gain a +1 inherent bonus to your Strength score, and you gain a +1 competence bonus to any roll that receives a bonus if a creature is large size or larger (such as grapple checks and trip attempts).
    > Each further selection (Physique II through VII) increases each bonus by 1. When you select Physique VIII, each bonus becomes +10 and the weapons you wield are considered to be one size category larger when determining the damage you deal.

- If you choose Toughness I, you gain DR 1/Magic and a +1 natural armor bonus to AC. In addition, you gain resist 2 acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic.
    > Each further selection (Toughness II through VII) increases the DR by 1, the resistance by 2, and the natural armor bonus to half the DR (if otherwise lower). When you select Toughness VIII, the DR becomes 10/-, the natural armor bonus becomes +5, the resistance becomes 20, and you gain immunity to extra damage from critical hits and sneak attacks.

Spoiler: Skill (Ex.)
    Show
    Your boon is an Accuracy ability, a Guile ability, or a Speed ability. These three abilities can each be selected no more than eight times, and you can't make the eighth selection until you have at least 10 levels in this class.

- If you choose Accuracy I, you gain a +2 competence bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls. In addition, you gain a +1 insight bonus to critical confirmation rolls, and when checking for concealment or other miss chances you treat the percentage chance as 5% lower (so total concealment provides an opponent only a 45% chance to ignore the effects of your attack).
    > Each further selection (Accuracy II through VII) increases the competence bonus by 1.5 (round down the total competence bonus), the insight bonus by 1, and the miss chance reduction by 5%. When you select Accuracy VIII, the competence bonus becomes +15, the insight bonus becomes +10, the miss chance reduction becomes 50%, and your critical threat range doubles; this effect stacks with either the improved critical feat or the keen weapon property, but you can't benefit from any other improvements to your critical threat range.

- If you choose Guile I, you gain a +1 competence bonus to skill checks with class skills you are trained in. In addition, you gain a +1 competence bonus to Will saving throws.
    > Each further selection (Guile II through VII) increases the skill bonus by 1 and the saving throw bonus to half the skill bonus (if otherwise lower). When you select Guile VIII, the skill bonus becomes +10, the saving throw bonus becomes +5, and you can buy items for 90% of the standard cost and sell items for 60% of their standard cost (instead of 100% and 50%).

- If you choose Speed I, you gain a +1 inherent bonus to your Dexterity score and a +1 competence bonus to AC and Reflex saving throws; these bonuses are doubled when you take the total defense action.
    > Each further selection (Speed II through Speed VII) increases the inherent bonus by 1 and the competence bonus to half the inherent bonus (if otherwise lower). When you select Speed VIII, the inherent bonus becomes +10, the competence bonus becomes +5, and your speed increases by 10 ft.; this speed increase is considered a competence bonus.

Spoiler: Will (Su.)
    Show
    You gain a mana pool that can contain a maximum number of mana points equal to 8 + twice your Wis mod, and you regain 1 missing mana point per minute. Your boon is an Attack ability, a Physical ability, or a Surround ability (each of which grants you a Will power), or the Mana ability. At higher levels, selecting additional boons from the first three categories allows you to gain a new Will power or upgrade one, and does not upgrade the categories (since the powers themselves are the boons). Each Will power can each be selected no more than four times, and you can't make the fourth selection until you have at least 10 levels in this class. The Mana ability can be selected no more than eight times, and you can't make the eight selection until you have at least 10 levels in this class.
    Special: Will powers are supernatural abilities. The effects of multiple instances of the same Will power do not stack with each other; the oldest instance remains and cancels out the effects of all newer instances.

- If you choose Attack, you gain the Lightning I power. This allows you to spend 1 mana point as a move action to deal 1d8 electricity damage to a creature within 60 feet, or half damage if it succeeds on a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + your Wis mod + half your class level). This requires line of effect and line of sight.
    > Each further selection (Lightning II and III) affects a new secondary target and increases the mana cost by 1; a secondary target must be within 10 feet of the previous target, but it doesn't have to be within 60 feet of you. When you select Lightning IV, the mana cost becomes 4, you can affect a total of one primary target and three secondary targets, and the damage improves to 4d8.

- If you choose Physical, you gain the Assassin Rush I power. This allows you to spend 1 mana point as a swift action or move action to move up to 10 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity; if you end this movement adjacent to one or more creatures, one of those creatures of your choice is considered flanked by you for the next melee attack you make against it with a light or one-handed weapon before the end of this turn (unless it has Improved Uncanny Dodge). In addition, you gain a 5% miss chance until the start of your next turn; this effect is not due to concealment, and is not penetrated by True Seeing or other abilities that ignore concealment.
    > Each further selection (Assassin Rush II and III) increases the mana cost by 1, the distance by 10 feet, and the miss chance by 5%. When you select Assassin Rush IV, the mana cost becomes 4, the distance becomes 60 feet, the miss chance becomes 20%, and you deal +1d6 extra damage if the flanking attack hits.

- If you choose Surround, you gain the Force Push I power. This allows you to spend 1 mana point as a move action to deal 1d4 damage to each creature within 5 feet of you that fails a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + your Wis mod + half your class level). A creature of medium size or smaller that fails its saving throw is also pushed 5 feet away from you and knocked prone. This requires line of effect.
    > Each further selection (Force Push II and III) increases the mana cost by 1, the damage by 1d4, the radius of the effect by 5 feet, and the distance a medium or smaller creature is pushed by 5 feet. When you select Force Push IV, the mana cost becomes 4, the damage becomes 4d4, the radius of the effect becomes 30 feet, the push becomes 30 feet, and the push affects large or smaller creatures.

- If you choose Mana I, your maximum mana increases by 2d4 + twice your Wis mod, and you regain 1 additional lost mana point per minute.
    > Each further selection (Mana II through VII) increases your maximum mana by 2d4 + twice your Wis mod and the number of mana points you regain by 1 per minute. When you select Mana VIII, your maximum mana increases by 4d4 + four times your Wis mod (instead of 2d4 + twice your Wis mod) and you regain 1 lost mana point per round (instead of regaining mana every minute normally).

Spoiler: Higher level Attack powers
    Show

Starting at 5th level, when you choose the Attack ability you also have the Battle Charge and Fireball powers as options to make your selections from.

- If you choose Battle Charge I, you can spend 1 mana as a standard action to move up to 30 ft. in a straight line (as far as you can unless stopped by an obstacle) without provoking attacks of opportunity and ignoring difficult terrain, dealing 1d4 fire and slashing damage to each creature you move adjacent to and knocking Medium or smaller targets prone. A successful Reflex saving throw (DC 10 + your Wis mod + half your class level) from a target negates this effect for that target.
    > Each further selection (Battle Charge II and III) increases the mana cost by 1, the distance you move in a line by 10 ft., and the damage by one die, and changes the damage to the next larger die size. When you select Battle Charge IV, the mana cost becomes 4, the distance you move in a line becomes 60 ft., and the damage becomes 4d10.

- If you choose Fireball I, you can spend 1 mana as a swift action to hurl a ball of explosive molten rock, attacking as if throwing a splash weapon that deals 1d4 fire and piercing damage on a direct hit (with splash damage being the minimum direct hit damage). If the target of a direct hit is Tiny or smaller and fails a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + your Wis mod + half your class level), it is also knocked prone. This requires line of effect and line of sight.
    > Each further selection (Fireball II and III) increases the mana cost by 1, the damage by one die on a direct hit, and allows you to channel the power for a longer period of time and higher mana cost to improve the effect. With Fireball II, you can use a move action instead of a swift action and spend double the normal mana cost to change the base damage to 1d6, deal 1d6 additional damage on a direct hit, improve the splash radius to 10 ft., and affect Small targets with the knockdown effect. With Fireball III, you can use a standard action instead of a swift action and spend triple the normal mana cost to change the base damage to 1d8, deal 2d8 additional damage on a direct hit, improve the splash radius to 15 ft., and affect Medium targets with the knockdown effect. When you select Fireball IV, the mana cost becomes 4, the damage on a direct hit increases by one die, and you can use a full-round action instead of a swift action and spend quadruple the normal mana cost to change the base damage die to 1d10, deal 3d10 additional damage on a direct hit, improve the splash radius to 20 ft., and affect Large targets with the knockdown effect.

Starting at 10th level, when you choose the Attack ability you also have the Enflame and Multi-Strike powers as options to make your selections from.

- If you choose Enflame I, you can spend 1 mana as a move action to make the ground around you erupt, dealing 2d8 bludgeoning and fire damage to each enemy within 15 ft. of you, knocking Large and smaller targets prone. A successful Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + your Wis mod + half your class level) halves the damage. This requires line of effect but not line of sight.
    > Each further selection (Enflame II and III) increases the mana cost by 1, the damage by 2d8, and the radius by 15 ft. When you select Enflame IV, the mana cost becomes 4, the damage becomes 8d8, and the radius becomes 60 ft.

- If you choose Multi-Strike I, you can spend 2 mana as a free action to cause your next successful swing to split into two. This effect has an unlimited duration until discharged. The next time you attack with a melee weapon, make the attack roll twice against the same target with the same modifiers; for each hit, this attack deals damage equal to what the attack would normally deal (so two hits normally dealing 12 and 15 damage would deal a combined total of 27 damage before damage reduction), though additional effects (such as poison) only apply once if any of the attack rolls score a hit.
    > Each further selection (Multi-Strike II and III) increases the mana cost by 2, and grants an additional attack roll (with the same target and modifiers). When you select Multi-Strike IV, the mana cost becomes 8 and the effect provides a total of five attack rolls (with the same target and modifiers).

Starting at 17th level, when you choose the Attack ability you also have the Divine Fury and Infernal Wrath powers as options to make your selections from.

Spoiler: Higher level Physical powers
    Show

Starting at 6th level, when you choose the Physical ability you also have the Berserk and Heal Life powers as options to make your selections from.

- If you choose Berserk I, you can spend 1 mana as a move action to become bigger, stronger, and faster for 1 minute, giving up your intelligence and social graces as you enter a ferocious battle trance. You gain a +2 morale bonus to Strength and Dexterity, and you take a -2 penalty to Intelligence and Charisma. In addition, any Large or smaller creature you hit with a melee attack while this effect lasts must succeed on a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + your Str mod + half your class level) or be knocked prone.
    > Each further selection (Berserk II and III) increases the mana cost by 1 and the ability score bonuses and penalties by 2. When you select Berserk IV, the mana cost becomes 4, the ability score bonuses become +8, the ability score penalties become -8, and your speed increases by +10 ft.; this speed increase is considered a morale bonus.

- If you choose Heal Life I, you can spend 2 mana as a swift action to restore 2d4 lost hit points to you and each ally within 10 ft. of you. This does not require line of effect or line of sight.
    > Each further selection (Heal Life II and III) increases the mana cost by 2, increases the hit points restored by two dice, and improves the hit points restored by one die size. When you select Heal Life IV, the mana cost becomes 8 and the number of hit points restored becomes 8d10.

Starting at 13th level, when you choose the Physical ability you also have the Ghost Sword and Multi-Arrow powers as options to make your selections from.

- If you choose Ghost Sword I, you can spend 1 mana as a move action to bring a floating +2 ghost touch longsword (sized for a Medium creature) into existence for 1 minute. It follows you, remaining in a space adjacent to you, until an enemy enters a space adjacent to it, at which point it stays adjacent to that enemy and makes one attack against it at the start of your turn each round. It attacks as if wielded one-handed by a Medium creature with a Strength score of 20 and a base attack bonus of +14. The longsword is immune to damage from area effects, but can be destroyed just like a construct by any single-target effect (including a spell that affect constructs) that deals at least 25 damage to it; it uses your AC and saving throws for this purpose. Damage dealt by the longsword ignores all damage reduction.
    > Each further selection (Ghost Sword II and III) increases the mana cost by 1, the enhancement bonus of the longsword by 1, the effective Strength of its attack by 3, and the effective base attack bonus of its attack by 2, and creates an additional floating longsword with the same statistics as the first. When you select Ghost Sword IV, the mana cost becomes 4, the enhancement bonus becomes +5, the effective Strength score of its attack becomes 30, the effective base attack bonus of its attack becomes +20, and you create a total of four longswords (that all share those same statistics).

- If you choose Multi-Arrow I, you can spend 2 mana as a free action to cause your next successful shot to split into three. This effect has an unlimited duration until discharged. The next time you take the attack action (not a full attack) with a ranged weapon, make the attack roll three times; for each hit, the attack deals damage equal to what the attack would normally deal (so three hits normally dealing 12, 15, and 17 damage would deal a combined total of 44 damage before damage reduction), though additional effects (such as poison) only apply once if any of the attack rolls score a hit.
    > Each further selection (Multi-Arrow II and III) increases the mana cost by 2 and applies the effect described above to another attack action you make. When you select Multi-Arrow IV, the mana cost becomes 16 and the number of attack actions that receive the above effect becomes 4.

Starting at 18th level, when you choose the Physical ability you also have the Physical Shield power as another option to make your selections from.

Spoiler: Higher level Surround powers
    Show

Starting at 9th level, when you choose the Surround ability you also have the Drain Life and Summon powers as options to make your selections from.

- If you choose Drain Life I, you can spend 1 mana as a swift action to force a creature within 60 ft. of you to make a Will saving throw (DC 10 + your Wis mod + half your class level). If the target fails its saving throw, it takes 1d4 damage, and you regain an equal number of lost hit points. This doesn't require line of effect, but it does require line of sight.
    > Each further selection (Drain Life II and III) increases the mana cost by 1 and the damage by one die and one die size. When you select Drain Life IV, the mana cost becomes 4 and the damage becomes 4d10.

- If you choose Summon I, you can spend 1 mana as a move action to bring a soul from the nether world into existence for 2 rounds; its statistics and appearance are exactly the same as a Half-Celestial Giant Wasp, though its maximum hit points and damage are only 10% of its normal values and it has the extraplanar subtype. The creature appears in a space adjacent to you and is flat-footed until it acts, and takes its first action on the same initiative as you on following rounds. The creature attempts to remain in a space adjacent to you when possible, until an enemy enters a space adjacent to it, at which point it attacks the enemy to the best of its ability, or you can use your swift action to direct it to use one of its special abilities with its own actions. When the creature reduces an enemy to 0 hit points or fewer with an attack, and that enemy has at least 1 more hit die than the creature but no more hit dice than you, the creature becomes a copy of that enemy and that enemy is destroyed. As a copy of that enemy, it shares all of its abilities and statistics (except it retains the Half-Celestial template, its mental ability scores, the Mindless special quality, its current hit points, and its maximum hit points and damage are still only 10% of what is normal for that enemy). When reduced to 0 hit points, the creature disappears until you use this power again, which brings it forth at its maximum hit points as a copy of the most recent enemy it has destroyed. You can also use this power again before the creature disappears to reset the duration, reset its hit points to maximum, and restore all expended uses of its special abilities.
    > Each further selection (Summon II and III) increases the mana cost by 1, the duration by 2 rounds, and the maximum hit points and damage increase by 10% of normal. When you select Summon IV, the mana cost becomes 4, the duration becomes 1 minute, and the maximum hit points and damage become 50% of normal.

Starting at 14th level, when you choose the Surround ability you also have the Slow Time and Turncoat powers as options to make your selections from.

- If you choose Slow Time I, you can spend 3 mana as a move action to gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls, ability checks, initiative checks, and skill checks, and a +2 dodge bonus to AC and saving throws, for 1 minute. Once before the effect ends, you can receive an extra move action on your turn.
    > Each further selection (Slow Time II and III) increases the mana cost by 3, each bonus by 2, and the number of extra move actions you can take by one (but no more than one extra move action per turn). When you select Slow Time IV, the mana cost becomes 12, each bonus becomes +8, and the number of times you can take an extra move action becomes four (but no more than once per turn).

- If you choose Turncoat I, you can spend 2 mana as a standard action to force a creature within 30 ft. to make a Will saving throw (DC 10 + your Wis mod + half your class level). On a failed saving throw, you subvert the mind of the target for 1 minute, forcing it to consider you as an ally; while this effect lasts, the target follows you and protects you to the best of its ability, attacking other creatures that threaten you or that you attack. After half the duration has expired, the target makes a new saving throw to end the effect. If you are trying to be stealthy or appear to belong in a situation, the target will attempt to maintain stealth or appearance to the best of its ability until the effect ends. This requires line of effect, but doesn't require line of sight.
    > Each further selection (Turncoat II and III) increases the mana cost by 2 and the duration of the effect by one step (1 minute to 10 minutes, 10 minutes to 1 hour). When you select Turncoat IV, the mana cost becomes 8 and the duration becomes 24 hours.

Spoiler: Guild Hero feats
    Show

Health Elixir
    Prerequisite: Hero Disciplines class feature
    Benefit: Your maximum hit points increase by 1 for every boon you have selected (or that you later select) from the Strength or Skill disciplines.

Will Elixir
    Benefit: Your maximum mana points increase by 1 for every boon you have selected (or that you later select) from the Will discipline.

Will of Ages
    Benefit: You gain two boon selections from any one category in the Will discipline. You must still have at least 10 Guild Hero class levels to make the last selection of any Will power or the last selection of the Mana ability.
    Special: You can select this feat multiple times.

Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-11-01 at 03:09 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

MW: The point of not allowing multiclassing is to explore the use of each class, to keep things relatively simple, and to automatically avoid the problems associated with overpowered PrCs. All classes should be suitable for normal play. A class that would be unbalanced for dipping into in a normal game is poorly designed and will not be acceptable. That said, I haven’t fully evaluated your proposal yet.

Edit: One thing I suggest is limiting the use of the class abilities, such as maximum fast healing of 10 hp / class level / day, and max "twisty runs" of 2 / class level / day, or something like that.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-10-06 at 09:22 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    MW: The point of not allowing multiclassing is to explore the use of each class, to keep things relatively simple, and to automatically avoid the problems associated with overpowered PrCs. All classes should be suitable for normal play. A class that would be unbalanced for dipping into in a normal game is poorly designed and will not be acceptable. That said, I haven’t fully evaluated your proposal yet.

Edit: One thing I suggest is limiting the use of the class abilities, such as maximum fast healing of 10 hp / class level / day, and max "twisty runs" of 2 / class level / day, or something like that.
    Dipping into the class is not a problem; the best it gives is the benefit of a low level maneuver (Sudden Leap) like 9-13 times a day.
    My concern is how the class might interact with a dip into one of the many hundreds of prestige classes out there that it could potentially qualify for, and that's something I simply won't be able to take into account to the fullest extent.
    Also, if you invest so far as Factotum 8, the Cunning Surge feature will go particularly well with the Will powers, the same as with any initiating or spellcasting class.

As far as balance goes, limiting those particular class features seems odd. For the twisty running, that's something I just felt like needed to be part of the rules to begin with; I'm a marathon runner and when I do sprints for cross-training I don't have the space to run in a straight line, but you can bet your tailfeathers I still hit full speed with no trouble going in a relay pattern, and that's almost a 180 degree turn. What if I made it one turn per 20 feet instead of per 10 feet?
    The healing ability doesn't strike me as something I would feel bad about slapping on a ranger, fighter, bard, warmage, or rogue. However, the warlock does have a similar feature with a limit, so I see your reasoning. What if the healing only went up to half the guild hero's maximum HP?

I'll take a look at other class features to pair down in a similar manner.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-10-06 at 03:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    For the twisty running, that's something I just felt like needed to be part of the rules to begin with
    In that case, it shouldn't be a class feature.

The healing ability doesn't strike me as something I would feel bad about slapping on a ranger, fighter, bard, warmage, or rogue. However, the warlock does have a similar feature with a limit, so I see your reasoning. What if the healing only went up to half the guild hero's maximum HP?
    The problem with the fast healing is that without a limit, a one level dip could give you unlimited out-of-combat healing. That's too good. A max of half his hp but all day long, is too good for a dip, but could be a higher level class feature.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My character concept is coming along nicely. I will probably be settling on the modified Stormchild class. I just have a question. With Tier 1 classes banned, what will be our healing options, since we won’t have a cleric?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    With Tier 1 classes banned, what will be our healing options, since we won’t have a cleric?
    The classes I'm considering asking for are primarily if not exclusively ones that get resurrection/restoration/heal/&c on their spell lists, such as Dragon Priest, Grand Vivimancer, Keyblade Wielder, Spellstall, Witch Doctor, etc... I had yet to post them because I'm not yet entirely clear on my requirements for a class, but there are plenty of options out there whose casting is less versatile than a cleric but more useful than the tier 5 healer.

25. - Top - End - #25

Chimera

In that case, it shouldn't be a class feature.

The problem with the fast healing is that without a limit, a one level dip could give you unlimited out-of-combat healing. That's too good. A max of half his hp but all day long, is too good for a dip, but could be a higher level class feature.
    Alrighty, I'll ditch the twisty running altogether.
    I moved the boons up a level, since it gives an even split between Str/Skill and Will boons (aside from the uneven three boons when first gaining the feature).
    As for the healing, how big of a dip are you considering, at what level? Do you consider it a big enough problem to warrant more restriction?
    Spoiler: Math
    Show
    Here's the math for a 3 level dip as a cleric or guild hero at level 12 with 9d8+dip hit dice and 14 Con (average max HP = 85 cleric, 75 guild hero). We're going to assume you and each of your companions takes 40 damage in one fight, then 25 damage 6 hours later. For everyone other than the tank, this is a decent portion of damage (maybe even a crit in there during the first fight).
    • With a level 3 Cleric dip with the Healing domain, you can spontaneously heal 1d8+4 (average 8.5) from each unused 1st level spell slot between fights/rests and 2d8+4 (average 13) from each unused 2nd level slot. With 14 Wis, that's about 60 HP of healing if you are playing a heal-bot with a mace (better BAB, better saves, and potential for other spells and domain abilities as well: remember you have orisons). You could heal to full after the first fight, and after the second fight you could be around 80 HP, 5 below your maximum. Alternatively, you could also provide some healing for others in your party who may need it more (the wizard might be dead if you don't, after all).
    • With a level 3 Guild Hero dip with Health II gets 3 HP per minute up to half max. You get worse bab and saves and HP, but with Health II your Con gets a +2 bonus so you'll actually have 87 maximum hit points, not 75. After the first fight, you heal nothing. After the second fight, you'll heal 21 HP in 7 minutes, so you'll be at 46 HP. You also can't heal anyone else with this dip.

The more fights in a day, the better the fast healing dip gets, but it would need to be greater than the recommended number of encounters described in the DMG to outmatch a cleric or healer dip.
    A crusader dip puts the guild hero dip to shame, with maneuvers and stances that heal and a delayed damage pool to soak before healing is even necessary.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-10-06 at 12:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

MW: That seems OK. Even the full healing with no limit could be OK if it comes online at level 12 or so.

27. - Top - End - #27

Chimera

MW: That seems OK. Even the full healing with no limit could be OK if it comes online at level 12 or so.
    *Thumbs up* I will leave it at half maximum just in case it proves more useful in practice than in theory.

Edit: Tomorrow, I'll add in the new Will powers.

Edit2: Tossed the new Will powers in, but I gotta fill out the descriptions.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-10-08 at 12:01 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

How is everyone doing?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Getting there, but I have been pretty busy. Will hopefully be done within the next few days. Tomorrow is equally busy, but after that I should be free.

30. - Top - End - #30

Chimera

How is everyone doing?
    Pretty great, how about you?

With the Will powers being mostly new ways to deal damage, and Strength and Skill not doing too much to assist versatility, I'm not sure this class would be considered higher than tier 4. Does this sound appropriate?
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-10-08 at 03:26 PM.