The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Drow Against Midnight

Good, just struggling with feats.

Speaking of which... will you allow access to Darkstalker from Lords of Madness?
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

MW: I'm fine, thanks. I think I'd have to see the final PC to really judge the class.

RB: No to Darkstalker; that feat should never have existed.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks interesting. How about homebrew from Grod such as the Mage of the Unseen Hand or Warmage?
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Kricen for J-H's Complex of Doom

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

This seems like a great idea for an adventure.
    I think I have a good concept for a character, to build and play the evil brother from the backstory of another character I wrote for a long running IRL game. Heís a worshipper of Vhaeraun, who would be strongly opposed to a crazy matron motherís plan to destroy the surface elves.
    Home brew is a lot of research for ideas, and trying to find a balanced class. How about this Abyss Striker? If Iím going to play an evil drow, might as well go all the way.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

This looks somewhat interesting. Looking at your Arcane Seer, is there any significance to the underlined spells? And would you be open to a few additions to the spell list? Off the top of my head, maybe (Greater) Mirror Image? I notice that despite the spells section mentioning communication, Sending is absent. I also think Amanuensis (SpC pg9) and Scholar's Touch (Races of Destiny pg167) would fit.

Since the relevant book isn't on your list, would you allow the rules for using Sleight of Hand to cast spells unnoticed? (page 133) Also, how do you feel about the Aereni Focus feat from Player's Guide to Eberron? (page 20)
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I'm not going to worry about statting up Divine Fury and Infernal Wrath yet, since we aren't high enough level for me to select them anyway.
    I have the remaining Physical and Surround powers to create, and then I'll have my character up within 24 hours of their completion.

7. - Top - End - #37

BlackDragon

Work is progressing on Baelara Azrinae, a Grod Seer who has broken away from her house because she has forseen the devastation the plan will cause.

Question, can we combine magic items?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Cavir: Mage of the Unseen Hand looks OK. Warmage is out (no class "fixes").

Goby: The Abyss Striker is overpowered. I could suggest nerfs, but it's probably best to find something more balanced, which I know can be tough to do with homebrew.

Debatra: The underlined spells on the Arcane Seer list are the ones that I felt define the power of the class, and are most likely to be frequently useful. Insight of Good Fortune and Alter Fortune are powerful spells to offer advantage/disadvantage on key saving throws and the like. Unluck is a good save-or-suck spell. Also notable is Hunter's Eye and a few other spells related to sneak attacking.

What you will not find on the list for the most part are spells that actually have any obvious visible effects. An uninformed observer might well conclude that the Arcane Seer is just lucky. A flashy illusion like Mirror Image would not fit with the theme. I could see Scholar's Touch fitting more than Amanuensis, but it's a Divination, so the Arcane Seer could keep a scroll of it to prepare castings of the spell, which seems fitting enough.

I'll allow Conceal Spellcasting and Aereni Focus.

Ancient: You can use the rules for combining items of the same slot (in other words add 50% of the cost of the additional items to the sum of the normal costs).

9. - Top - End - #39

Chimera

All 14th level and lower Will powers are completed.

I will now work on creating a character sheet using the Guild Hero class.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Cavir: Mage of the Unseen Hand looks OK. Warmage is out (no class "fixes").
    Cool, I can end the debate with myself between the two :)
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

Chimera

Working on lore in a google doc, but for now, here's Jack of Blades.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post

Goby: The Abyss Striker is overpowered. I could suggest nerfs, but it's probably best to find something more balanced, which I know can be tough to do with homebrew.
    Hereís another similar idea, that fits what I want to build, which is a melee bruiser using fear to intimidate his opponents. This class seems like it got a lot of feedback and modifications, and it gives good explanations for why itís doing what it does.
    What do you think of this Dark Knight , using the provided adaptation to make it abyssal not infernal?

13. - Top - End - #43

Chimera

Requesting the Reinforced and Segmented mundane armor properties from Dragon #358.

Reinforced increases weight by 10% (minimum +2 lb.) and armor bonus by +1. Cost for mithral full plate: 1,200 gp.
    Segmented increases max Dex bonus by +1. Cost for mithral full plate: 300 gp.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-10-10 at 01:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

kinem, can I take a feat to mimick the Warlock's Eldritch Spear invocation for the essence blast?

Edit: Also, for Death's Insight, would he have any abilities loaded at the beginning of the game or would he have to gain them as we game?
    Spoiler: Death's Insight
    Show

Deathís Insight (SU): Beginning at 12th level, if an Essence Thief lands a killing blow against a mystic opponent, the Essence Thief can focus on the dying mysticís energy to harness their power as his own, permanently. When Essence Thief lands a killing blow against a mystic opponent and is adjacent to the fallen foe, he can spend a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity from threatening foes to focus on stealing the last bits of essence from his foe to perform the Deathís Insight rite. If uninterrupted, the Essence Thief can permanently steal the knowledge of 1 spell, power or Soulmeld known or has available at the time of its death. This spell, power or Soulmeld needs to be of a level that the Essence Thief can utilize when the rite is performed. Additionally, while the Essence Thief has the knowledge of the spell, power or Soulmeld the Essence Thief must use his Absorption Matrix pool to empower the spell, power or Soulmeld. The maximum number of spells, powers or Soulmelds known by the Essence Thief is equal to Ĺ his Essence Thief level + Charisma bonus. Essence Thieves can use the Mystic ability learned by Deathís Insight to qualify for some prestige classes usually intended for spellcasters, manifesters or Incarnum users. While using Deathís Insight, an Essence Thief can replace a known Mystic ability with a new Mystic ability from a fallen foe.

And, Kyornor Naerth in process.
    Last edited by razorback; 2019-10-10 at 03:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Goby: I may regret it but given the dearth of well done homebrew melee options, I'll OK Dark Knight.

I think I'll make my own homebrew dual wielder class :)

MW: The armor properties would have been OK Ö if they were included in Core. They were not, meaning that it would make no sense to add them to the game, since everyone and his brother should use them before resorting to magic armor. So I'll say no to those.

razorback: I'll allow the feat. As for starting with the spells, you can Ö but you can't pick them. You must determine them by rolling on a random table for scrolls or wands.

Edit: Here's my Dualblade class.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-10-10 at 11:08 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

The underlined spells on the Arcane Seer list are the ones that I felt define the power of the class, and are most likely to be frequently useful. Insight of Good Fortune and Alter Fortune are powerful spells to offer advantage/disadvantage on key saving throws and the like. Unluck is a good save-or-suck spell. Also notable is Hunter's Eye and a few other spells related to sneak attacking.

What you will not find on the list for the most part are spells that actually have any obvious visible effects. An uninformed observer might well conclude that the Arcane Seer is just lucky. A flashy illusion like Mirror Image would not fit with the theme. I could see Scholar's Touch fitting more than Amanuensis, but it's a Divination, so the Arcane Seer could keep a scroll of it to prepare castings of the spell, which seems fitting enough.

I'll allow Conceal Spellcasting and Aereni Focus.
    Yeah, makes sense. Although when I noticed that AS has scythe proficiency, I immediately had a mental image of a very unsubtle grim reaper "I have seen your death, mortal!" kind of character, and now I'm not sure which would be more fun.

To clarify what you just implied, an Arcane Seer preparing a Divination from a scroll does not use up the scroll? Also, if I get a scroll of a spell on the AS list but of a different spell level, can I prepare it in a slot of the scroll's level?

Since we're all Drow, I feel the need to ask about Sundark Goggles (Races of the Dragon, page 122. 10gp for a pair of alchemical sunglasses that do exactly what you'd expect them to).

No pre-game crafting, but what about pre-game casting? There are a few decent hour/level or day/level spells on the Arcane Seer list that I could easily say "I cast these with Extend Spell before I went to bed last night". Also Permanency and Contingency.

It's a work in progress, but here's what I have so far.
    Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

17. - Top - End - #47

razorback: I'll allow the feat. As for starting with the spells, you can Ö but you can't pick them. You must determine them by rolling on a random table for scrolls or wands.
    Thanks.
    So, ability comes online at 12th, which would allow him 12 abilities (6 from levels and 6 from stats) plus another at 14th. At 12th he would have access to 6th level spells/powers and at 14th he would have access to one 7th level. I'm not sure if you meant to include psionic powers, since they are on the SRD but I'll roll two ways just in case. I'll use the scroll table and, if psionics available, the

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

% roll arcane/divine/psionic or arcane/divine level
    (1d100)[39](39) (1d3)[1](1) or (1d2)[2](2) (1d7)[5](5)
    (1d100)[20](20) (1d3)[1](1) or (1d2)[1](1) (1d6)[2](2)
    (1d100)[35](35) (1d3)[3](3) or (1d2)[1](1) (1d6)[6](6)
    (1d100)[80](80) (1d3)[2](2) or (1d2)[1](1) (1d6)[3](3)
    (1d100)[18](18) (1d3)[1](1) or (1d2)[2](2) (1d6)[4](4)
    (1d100)[8](8) (1d3)[2](2) or (1d2)[1](1) (1d6)[2](2)
    (1d100)[44](44) (1d3)[3](3) or (1d2)[2](2) (1d6)[2](2)
    (1d100)[80](80) (1d3)[1](1) or (1d2)[1](1) (1d6)[2](2)
    (1d100)[51](51) (1d3)[3](3) or (1d2)[2](2) (1d6)[5](5)
    (1d100)[24](24) (1d3)[3](3) or (1d2)[2](2) (1d6)[4](4)
    (1d100)[61](61) (1d3)[2](2) or (1d2)[2](2) (1d6)[3](3)
    (1d100)[77](77) (1d3)[2](2) or (1d2)[2](2) (1d6)[6](6)
    (1d100)[71](71) (1d3)[3](3) or (1d2)[2](2) (1d6)[5](5)

18. - Top - End - #48

I didn't realize the power stones didn't actually have a random list. If psionics are available, I've rolled to see if it's Psion or Psychic Warrior. Rolling if available, 1 for Psion list and 2 for Psychic Warrior list and rerolling based on amount of powers based on the list and quantity at that level running right down the list from EPH.
    Based on rolls above, it would be -
    Hold Monster
    Continual Flame
    (1d2)[1](1) (1d12)[3](3) Psion Cloud Mind, Mass or (1d5)[3](3) Psychic Warrior; if not, Dispel Magic, Greater
    Snare
    Cure Critical Wounds
    Bear's Endurance
    (1d2)[2](2) (1d29)[13](13) Psion or (1d23)[7](7) Psychic Warrior Detect Hostile Intent; if not, Flaming Sphere
    Scare
    (1d2)[2](2) (1d12)[2](2) Psion or (1d5)[2](2) Psychic Warrior Catapsi; if not Insect Plague
    (1d2)[2](2) (1d17)[1](1) Psion or (1d11)[9](9) Psychic Warrior Truevenom ; if not Death Ward
    Prayer
    Spellstaff
    (1d2)[2](2) (1d22)[5](5) Psion or (1d5)[3](3) Psychic Warrior Metaconcert; if not, Stoneskinn
    Last edited by razorback; 2019-10-11 at 10:12 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    To clarify what you just implied, an Arcane Seer preparing a Divination from a scroll does not use up the scroll?
    Right, the Seer could use the scroll like a wizard's spellbook.

Also, if I get a scroll of a spell on the AS list but of a different spell level, can I prepare it in a slot of the scroll's level?
    Sure.

Since we're all Drow, I feel the need to ask about Sundark Goggles (Races of the Dragon, page 122. 10gp for a pair of alchemical sunglasses that do exactly what you'd expect them to).
    I'll allow it. Note that the Goggles help against Dazzling, not Blindness.

No pre-game crafting, but what about pre-game casting? There are a few decent hour/level or day/level spells on the Arcane Seer list that I could easily say "I cast these with Extend Spell before I went to bed last night". Also Permanency and Contingency.
    That's OK.

razorback: Psionic abilities exist in the setting, but are rare, so just use the spells.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Faazeran Rasivrein aka "The Collector", Drow Mage of the Unseen Hand. WIP.

Niece to Vulissakra Rasivrein, Matron of the House Rasivrein, she has focused her magical studies on Telekinesis and Force effects. Using them she has become House Rasivrein's greatest slaver. While her cousins oversee Vostrac, Faazeran leads expeditions to capture more slaves. Her rare skills in magic allow her to simply suspend far more than just humanoids mid-air while her contingent secures the prize.

House Azrinae now threatens House Rasivrein's main source of power (potential slaves in Nar-Voth and the surface dwellers) as well as Faazeran's own life if the asteroid hits while she is out "collecting". Matron Vulissakra has tasked Faazeran to work with the other houses to put down the threat. Working with the other Houses helps to avoid threatening the truce between the Houses if any one House seemed to be breaking the truce's balance.

Spoiler: Questions
    Show
    Are these ok? If any aren't I'll remove them, no problem.
    DMG2 - Apprentice Feat
    Libris Mortis - Metamagic Feats, spells
    Races of Dragon - Easy Metamagic
    Planar Handbook:
    - Heavy Sickle p69 (I'm looking for a Simple slashing weapon)
    - Does the Abyssal Iron (staff) qualify for Underdark/Drow discount?
    - Spell: Spell Vulnerability
    Races of Faerun: Spell-Like Ability Focus (+2 DC on SLA)

Spell Level 8 and 9 only have 2 spells each for this homebrew class. Open to expanding that some? We can work on that later if I am selected.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

That Skeletal Avatarist of yours seems quite interesting... I'll see if I can come up with something interesting!
    Does this poster have a sign?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

We should have enough applicants so I'll close it to new interest now, though it can be reopened as needed.

Cavir:

Apprentice Feat: Is Not allowed, and even if it were, would not help a Fixed List caster like Unseen Hand learn any spells.

Libris Mortis - Metamagic Feats, spells: Probably OK, but let me know which ones they are.

Races of Dragon - Easy Metamagic: I don't see that Feat. In any case, No. Rapid Metamagic from Complete Mage is allowed though.

Planar Handbook:
    Heavy Sickle - OK
    Does the Abyssal Iron (staff) qualify for Underdark/Drow discount? - No

Spell: Spell Vulnerability - No; Instead use the Spell Compendium version for all spells that are in the SpC.

Races of Faerun: Spell-Like Ability Focus (+2 DC on SLA) - OK

Spell Level 8 and 9 only have 2 spells each for this homebrew class. Open to expanding that some? - Maybe but it shouldn't come into play much yet at this level anyway.

CozJa: Thanks. The Skeletal Avatarist might be a little unbalanced (though seeing it in play would help determine that), but as you say, it could be interesting.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Cavir:
    Apprentice Feat: Is Not allowed, and even if it were, would not help a Fixed List caster like Unseen Hand learn any spells.
    Libris Mortis - Metamagic Feats, spells: Probably OK, but let me know which ones they are.
    Races of Dragon - Easy Metamagic: I don't see that Feat. In any case, No. Rapid Metamagic from Complete Mage is allowed though.
    Planar Handbook:
    Heavy Sickle - OK
    Does the Abyssal Iron (staff) qualify for Underdark/Drow discount? - No
    Spell: Spell Vulnerability - No; Instead use the Spell Compendium version for all spells that are in the SpC.
    Races of Faerun: Spell-Like Ability Focus (+2 DC on SLA) - OK
    Spell Level 8 and 9 only have 2 spells each for this homebrew class. Open to expanding that some? - Maybe but it shouldn't come into play much yet at this level anyway.
    OK, Thanks for reviewing. I'll make the adjustments and keep working. Some side notes:

Metamagic feats: I'll get back to you on which ones. With the short spell lists of level 6-9 I figure the slots will be used a lot for metamagics.
    Easy Metamagic: I wrote down the wrong source. It's DR325 p62. Choose one metamagic with at least a +2 LA. The LA is one less (min +1).
    Apprentice Feat: Already removed. The thought was (and I forgot to include asking about) the spell choices being from the same list as the class feature Eclectic Learning (Wiz/Sorc)
    Spell Vulnerability: Missed it was in SpC. I see it now.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Easy Metamagic is from Dragon Mag (325, pg 62), and I was actually about to ask for it as well. The one from Races of the Dragon is Practical Metamagic (pg 101), which does the exact same thing (except Easy Metamagic also works for prepared casters) but requires you to somehow have the Dragonblood subtype. And the only ways any of us Drow are getting that is either being Deepwyrm Drow or taking the Dragontouched feat (both from Dragon Magic, pages 6 and 18).

There are also two magic items I want to ask about. One is a custom Runestaff (rules for creating them MIC 224), and the other is a 2/day spell completion item of Mage's Magnificent Mansion.

Spoiler: Runestaff and Math for it
    Show
    Shadow Evocation 3/day - 25 * 400 = 10,000
    Greater Mirror Image 2/day - 16 * 150 = 2,400
    Greater Invisibility 2/day - 16 * 150 = 2,400
    Major Image 3/day - 9 * 200 = 1,800
    Invisibility 3/day - 4 * 200 = 800

Assuming I didn't screw up the math there, that should be 17,400 gp.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

We should have enough applicants so I'll close it to new interest now, though it can be reopened as needed.

Player Character Class Complete?
    Ancient Baelara Azrinae Grod Seer
    MinotaurWarblad Jack of Blades Guild Hero
    razorback Kyornor Naerth Essence Thief
    Cavir Faazeran Rasivrein Mage of the Unseen Hand
    Debatra Tela Ulvani Arcane Seer
    Goby TBD Demonic Knight
    CozJa Skeletal Avatarist
    Foryn Gilnith

If I missed anyone/anything it wasn't on purpose, let me know. I'd suggest people putting links to their homebrew on their character sheets for easier future reference.
    Last edited by Cavir; 2019-10-15 at 08:25 AM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Cavir: OK. I am trying to avoid Metamagic cost reducers such as Easy Metamagic.

Debatra: The Runestaff cost looks OK and the Mansion should be OK. Looks like your hp should be 71.

Cavir: Thanks. Foryn Gilnith also expressed interest but didn't pick a class.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Note that some of the details are different for this game, especially that Lolth worship is common:

https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Zirnakaynin

https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Drow_noble_houses

28. - Top - End - #58

Chimera

I'll have lore up sometime between tomorrow and Tuesday night.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Cavir: OK. I am trying to avoid Metamagic cost reducers such as Easy Metamagic.
    I'm assuming that ruling doesn't also ban more common, limited-use things like Metamagic Rods and the Metamagic School Focus feat?

Debatra: *snip* Looks like your hp should be 71.
    8+6*13-14
    6*13=78+8=86-14=72

...Right?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Debatra: Those are ok.

Your HP should be max on the die at 1st level, so 6, +5 for each additional level.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-10-14 at 07:05 AM.