New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Exalted 3e Quick(ish) Rules Guide

As I've been digging back into the game-- and as a potential first step towards teaching some of my friends how to play-- I've been working on a quick reference guide. Something that I can quickly look back at if I need to remember something about the crafting rules, but also something that I can hand to new players as a less-intimidating introduction to the game. And I figure hey, maybe you guys would like to see it too? Let me know if you have any suggestions of things I should add, things I got wrong, that sort of thing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0tz0ipfuz...0Ref.docx?dl=0
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Exalted 3e Quick(ish) Rules Guide

So I don't play Exalted and don't know the rules so I can't comment on what's missing. But I was going to say that I was able to follow it pretty well. I have played other storyteller systems and I know lore around exalted but was able to understand all the details that it presented.

My main concern is if you try to use this as a reference, as in actually use it during play. Some of the formulas felt a bit buried in text at times, maybe some formatting would help them stand out. Also the rules for ranged combat were effectively in the equipment section. I mean you don't need to know the overwhelming rating for a heavy weapon if you have you weapon's stats written down (and it may or may not be a heavy weapon). But for range weapons and the ranged band modifiers, that feels like something that would not be noted on the character sheet but you will still have to look up in a hurry.

Other than that I was never entirely sure what DC represented, at first I thought it meant one thing, then another from the numbers that were given beside it and when I went back to confirm I am now wondering if it was a third option. So that paragraph (Extended Actions) could use a bit more work.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    So I don't play Exalted and don't know the rules so I can't comment on what's missing. But I was going to say that I was able to follow it pretty well. I have played other storyteller systems and I know lore around exalted but was able to understand all the details that it presented.
    Oh good! That's what I was hoping.

My main concern is if you try to use this as a reference, as in actually use it during play. Some of the formulas felt a bit buried in text at times, maybe some formatting would help them stand out. Also the rules for ranged combat were effectively in the equipment section. I mean you don't need to know the overwhelming rating for a heavy weapon if you have you weapon's stats written down (and it may or may not be a heavy weapon). But for range weapons and the ranged band modifiers, that feels like something that would not be noted on the character sheet but you will still have to look up in a hurry.
    Mm, fair. I'll copy the range bands over to the main combat section. One other thing I was considering was a section of tables at the end; think it would be worth including a big list of formula there?

Other than that I was never entirely sure what DC represented, at first I thought it meant one thing, then another from the numbers that were given beside it and when I went back to confirm I am now wondering if it was a third option. So that paragraph (Extended Actions) could use a bit more work.
    Just for the "Extended Actions" section, or the whole thing? I was using it as a general "difficulty class" thing.

EDIT: I did the thing. Another 10 pages or so of tables added to the end for easy reference.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2019-10-08 at 04:32 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

That fixes most of it. The tables at the end really feel like a quick reference and I like the little footnote, you could also do a forward reference to the tables at the end now that so much is there, but if you have the space just repeating the chart might be best.
    Sorry for the delay.
    The fact that I'm not sure what DC is supposed to represent. I realized as well there is nothing you do with successes on a regular check. It talks about how to count them but there is no end goal given. Is that the DC?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    The fact that I'm not sure what DC is supposed to represent. I realized as well there is nothing you do with successes on a regular check. It talks about how to count them but there is no end goal given. Is that the DC?
    ... d'oh. Yeah; the difficulty of a check is the number of successes you need to pass it. It's always the most basic things you miss...
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, that does it. So that addresses all the problems I found on my read-through. I'm not actually planning on doing another but I'll keep an eye out and if I see an update I might take another look.