The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Looking for an Occult game (PF 1.0)

Fairly straight forward, I'd like to play an Occult focused game, so elements of horror, mystery, intrigue, ghosts, beings from other worlds, etc). It would involve using the classes from Occult Adventures. My own character will be a psychic of some sort (it's rare that I play full casters and wanted to try out this class. normally I play classes with only 6 spell levels rather than the full 9. The last build I did was for a Lizardfolk Medium, but that is such a strange pairing theme-wise, it makes little sense in most occult settings). While not every player has to be an Occult class, the theme should still be there. While I do enjoy Spheres, I would prefer them not to be in this game, so as to get a better understanding of how occult classes function normally. I'd prefer it mid-to-high level (somewhere between 5-9). Any takers?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for an Occult game (PF 1.0)

I love my Kineticist, even more so if homebrew, and this Kineticists of Polyphora would be allowed, but even without that Id be in if we get more interest/a GM

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I'm not familiar with spheres at all and will be happy if not mentioned at all, that being said I'm only akin to play psychics and kineticists if it comes to occult classes and looks like both has already been claimed x.x

I could play oracle, magus, investigator or some othet class with archetypes that deals with the occult yet I prefer play a neutral or good character rather than lets say a cleric of cthulhu who is utterly insane o.o

Edit: I'm also been looking forward to play an Unchained monk but this doesn't look like the best setting to play it x.x
    Last edited by Aleister VII; 2019-10-06 at 11:26 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Aleister VII View Post
    I'm not familiar with spheres at all and will be happy if not mentioned at all, that being said I'm only akin to play psychics and kineticists if it comes to occult classes and looks like both has already been claimed x.x

I could play oracle, magus, investigator or some othet class with archetypes that deals with the occult yet I prefer play a neutral or good character rather than lets say a cleric of cthulhu who is utterly insane o.o

Edit: I'm also been looking forward to play an Unchained monk but this doesn't look like the best setting to play it x.x
    Not sure what the GM would allow, but you might find some interesting concepts as a medium too. While not as strong as a Lizardfolk for that role, Tieflings might work ok as well (the main benefit Lizardfolk have is three natural weapons. Combine that with the Champion's Spirit bonus and Seance bonus and the DPS becomes surprisingly potent, though I have not seen how well it scales (unintentional pun!) to higher levels).

5. - Top - End - #5

Chimera

I guess I gotta take a look at medium then, tiefling sounds good as I don't like to stray too far from core or featured races xP

Anyways, I'll wait to see what the DM will run and allow before jumping in.

6. - Top - End - #6

Devil

I guess I gotta take a look at medium then, tiefling sounds good as I don't like to stray too far from core or featured races xP

Anyways, I'll wait to see what the DM will run and allow before jumping in.
    Well, like I said, you don't have to run one. You can play any class as long as the manner in which you play it fits the theme. Investigator is rather potent at higher levels (particularly the Empiricist, but that is if you would want to play a skill monkey). Pretty much any full caster can fit in rather well anyway (it's just that divine casters prefer self buffing and party support over control or overt damage).

7. - Top - End - #7

Chimera

I kind of like Empiricist, I don't really mind being the skill monkey, it pretty much give me the spotlight in most non-combat situations.

I however kind of stuggle to be effective in combat for the first levels until I finally get slashing/fencing grace x.x

8. - Top - End - #8

Devil

I kind of like Empiricist, I don't really mind being the skill monkey, it pretty much give me the spotlight in most non-combat situations.

I however kind of stuggle to be effective in combat for the first levels until I finally get slashing/fencing grace x.x
    Wish I knew where I could find my Empiricist build. It was dual wielding shortswords and used an Elf with the one alternate racial trait to grant spell-like abilities (I think it is called Envoy) so he could make use of Arcane Strike as well (plus the Elven FCB is nice for getting a decent amount of Inspiration per day).

**Edit - Also, trait-wise Student of Philosophy is incredibly powerful and can make you an Int-Based Face
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-10-07 at 02:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Interested as a player, probably a phantom blade spiritualist.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #10

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    **Edit - Also, trait-wise Student of Philosophy is incredibly powerful and can make you an Int-Based Face
    Yeah, I also pick that trait, a good skill monkey must also be capable of handle social stuffs xD

11. - Top - End - #11

Devil

Well, there is certainly enough player interest, still hoping somebody might be willing to GM it.

12. - Top - End - #12

Devil

Still no GM?

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

I'd possibly be interested as a barbarian who's terrified of all this occult madness.
    There are many perks to being a dragonslayer.

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

We still need a DM for this, btw what AP do you guys consider befitting for an Occult game besides Strange Aeons?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Carrion Crown

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Just considering something here. How would you all feel about a low-level romp through a haunted forest where you either solve the mystery, kill the monster, or die trying?
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Henry the 57th View Post
    Just considering something here. How would you all feel about a low-level romp through a haunted forest where you either solve the mystery, kill the monster, or die trying?
    I'd be fine with that if it's at least level two - otherwise I'd need a different concept, because phantom blade hurts at level one.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #18

Devil

The problem with that is that I have yet to play in a single game in which the party advanced even a single level, most not making it through three battles, and quite a bit that people bail on after the first battle. It is the reason I wanted to start mid-to-high level. The only game I've been involved in that the party leveled even just one time is the game I am GMing (though the pirate one I am in seems to be revitalizing somewhat). I wanted to see the psychic class when it has more spells to work with in order to get a feel for it, and low-level tends not to grant that opportunity.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quick question: would Traits be used? I have a Pureblade Slayer I made for Strange Aeons game that never made it off the ground that I could adapt if need be.
    ~There is nothing more tragic than when a loving family is torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wolves.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds like the fun parts of early Reign of Winter minus the hack-and-slashy encounter design. But then again, I'm not necessarily part of the target audience for this thread, so...

21. - Top - End - #21

Chimera

There're quite a few classes that suck at low level and this usually isn't a problem since levels 1 and 2 are a breeze if you don't get killed... From level 3 onwards things get interesting and at 5 most builds has the feats and class stuffs that they need to work, most feats beyond that are improvements to what you already are doing, so level 5 seems like a good place to start because it's the meat of the game.

I rarely play at levels higher than 12 but as far as I know things get crazy beyond 15 o.o

The forest idea sounds okay but due to the nature of psychics and other occult stuffs I was expecting a more urban setting with npc to deal with, evil cults and/or libraries filled with forbbiden knowledge o.oU

22. - Top - End - #22

Planetar

Since nobody jumped on that train yet, I'd LOVE to play a mesmerist, I have a few neat idea that will certainly fit the themes of the game!

23. - Top - End - #23

Devil

There're quite a few classes that suck at low level and this usually isn't a problem since levels 1 and 2 are a breeze if you don't get killed... From level 3 onwards things get interesting and at 5 most builds has the feats and class stuffs that they need to work, most feats beyond that are improvements to what you already are doing, so level 5 seems like a good place to start because it's the meat of the game.

I rarely play at levels higher than 12 but as far as I know things get crazy beyond 15 o.o

The forest idea sounds okay but due to the nature of psychics and other occult stuffs I was expecting a more urban setting with npc to deal with, evil cults and/or libraries filled with forbbiden knowledge o.oU
    Typically, occult games that take place in forests and similar areas are at least close to settlements, as it tends to act as an area the villagers fear or causes them to go missing.

24. - Top - End - #24

Devil

As mentioned in my opening post, I wanted to get a feel for how the psychic class works, and starting at first level is not enough to do that. The problem is not a single game that I've been a player in has levelled up even once before shutting down completely (though the RotRL campaign has levelled, but I set a fast pace in the beginning for the players. Again not a campaign I am/was a player in though).

25. - Top - End - #25

Chimera

At any rate I've been reading Occult adventures and I think that Occultist is quite interesting, if we ever find a gm that's the class I'd like to play xP