New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default 5e Sack-Specialized Big Game "Hunter" - Advice Appreciated

For various reasons, I'm trying to make a bounty / big game hunter type character that specializes in using sacks of various sizes. These can be sacks with bolas-type end to better seal the hole, sacks with harmful substances inside, etc. Just a bunch of sacks.

You can think of this as something similar to Pathfinder's equipment tricks combat feats.

I only have a rough idea so I would appreciate any advice on actions/traits/anything that would help putting sacks on various creatures' heads (sometimes exotic or vaguely humanoid creatures too) or anything that would take advantage of sack-covered targets. For example, a leaping ambush/maneuver to put a sack over a target's head and then getting advantage on other actions. Could even have a leash on a sack that gets pulled to seal the opening and then forcibly lead the target elsewhere.

A rope-tied sack full of stones could be a flail. Why does it have to be stones? Could also be a porous sack filled with vials of poisons/gases that break on impact to apply conditions. Why does it have to be a normal sack? Could also be a large bag of holding that helps suffocate an unlucky soul. What other sack-variations can you think of?

I'm still doing research, but trying to be devise some very creative/unexpected maneuvers/strategies and more input is helpful.

This character would start as level 5.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Last edited by Emries; 2019-10-06 at 01:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: 5e Sack-Specialized Big Game "Hunter" - Advice Appreciated

You *need* Tavern Brawler. Sack is an improvised weapon, and you won't get proficiency otherwise.

Then, you need to talk to your GM to get anything except the 1d4 damage all improvised weapons do.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

This is a question for your DM - 5e doesn't have the types of item interactions you're looking for without a bunch of allowances or homebrew.

By RAW 5e, the closest you could get is refluffed spells.
    • I'm not "Casting Acid Splash", I'm throwing a vial of acid.
    • It's not a Sleep spell, it's a tranq dart
    • It's not Hold Person, it's a bola
    And so on. Something like EK 3 / War Wizard 2 will make you a caster with 2nd level spells and the ability to summon certain weapons, such as nets, from nowhere

However, trying to shop together a quick homebrew could work. It could be a:
    • "Intelligence" Ranger Variant that uses a smaller version of the wizard spell list using the above concept
    • Arcane Archer Variant that acts very Hawkeye/Green Arrow-esque, with goofy trick arrows/sacks that do all of your things.
    • Battlemaster Fighter Variant that allows you to augment your attacks with sacks of "contraptions" (refluffed superiority die).
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hm. Why sacks? Gotta ask.