New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Crypt of the Everflame IC

It is the fourth day of Neth, and the winter winds are beginning to blow. On this day, nearly two centuries ago, Ekat Kassen and his men set out from the town to defeat Asar Vergas and his band of mercenaries. That tale is etched into the mind of each man, woman and child born and raised in Kassen, and is the cornerstone of the town's identity.

Having spent the morning preparing in your own way, you now await the summons to the centre of town at noon, from where you will begin your quest. Finally, the bells atop of the Temple of Erastil toll their midday song, echoing through the quiet town. As the peals begin to fade, the first of the townsfolk make their way into the square, dressed in black, as if attending a funeral. They slowly fill the square, moving quietly across the cold, hard ground, their eyes downcast and mournful. After a few moments, a murmur passes through the crowd as it slowly parts to let Mayor Uptal through. He leads the way with a tarnished silver lantern. Behind him, an old pony drags a cart laden with backpacks and supplies.

Once he reaches the centre of the crowd, Mayor Uptal stops and calls out to the assembled townsfolk.

"Once again the winter winds blow through the Fangwood, marking the end of another harvest. There are wolves in the woods, howling at our walls, and serpents in our shadows, waiting to strike. Just as it was a hundred and seventy four years ago, when Kassen himself left these walls to protect us, so it is today. Where are the heroes? Where are the brave folk that will venture out to Kassen's tomb and retrieve the flame to keep this community safe for another winter?"

The mayor pauses, looking at you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Crypt of the Everflame IC

Elissa stood in the crowd, her armor weighing uncomfortably under her clothing, long sword strapped across her back. She's been preparing for this moment for the last several months, but now that it's here... she is nervous. Her father places a hand on her shoulder, and she gives him a small smile before stepping forward. She sees Sir Dramott watching her, and keeps her head up and her eyes straight ahead, doing her best to keep her legs and pace steady. "I will go." She doesn't say any more, for fear her voice might crack.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2019-10-06 at 07:13 PM.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Gwynvieve pulls her dark green cloak about herself a little more securely as the windy heralds of winter blow past her. The young woman, an outsider despite her occasional visits to the town of Kassen, stands alone in the crowd. Gwyn had asked her parents not to see her off, certain as she was that the townies wouldn't be hugging their parents goodbye when the time to answer the call came. The day was meant to mark the beginning of adulthood for those sent to retrieve a piece of the everburning flame, and she hadn't wanted to be embarrassed in front of her soon-to-be companions by her parents' affections. But seeing another young woman step forward to answer the Mayor's call with (who Gwyn assumed was) her father behind her, Gwyn feels a pang of regret for asking her parents not to be there.

Her own emotions reflecting the somber mood of the crowd—though for different reasons—Gwynvieve steps forward, drawing her hood back and causing her wildly curling red hair to spill down around her shoulders as she does. "I will, too," she answers, moving through the crowd to the center of the square. Standing alongside the Mayor and the other woman, Gwyn greets the latter with a nod and a subdued smile.
    Last edited by Queen of Sheba; 2019-10-06 at 05:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phillip came prepared for the weather, bundled up in heavy hide clothing lined with fur. The high collar of his jacket was pulled up to protect against the wind and to better conceal his face. He glances around when the mayor prompts the crowd to join in this rallying cry for heroes and waits for a few others to pledge before he does.

After adjusting his weapons, a battle axe and warhammer that hang from loops on his belt and a shortbow strung over one shoulder, he merely steps forward to stand beside the two women silently. He gives the mayor a nod and stands wordlessly with the group.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Standing a bit apart from the crowd, towards the front, is the tall, slender elf known as Alabaster Kraine. He doesn't quite mean to stand apart as he does - he knows the people of the town are comfortable with him, seeing as he's lived here for a few months, now. But it's more a matter of he doesn't really have anyone to stand with. Nonetheless, wrapped in his ebony-hued cloak, hood up, he has placed himself at the front of the crowd. He knew that he would be one of the volunteers. He had decided weeks ago.

Bringing up his gloved hands to lower his hood, Alabaster steps forward after Philip. "I will go," he speaks, ignoring the chill of the wind and the fact that the tips of his long ears have already started to redden with the cold. He steps up beside the others, offering them a nod and a cordial smile.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

As you declare your intent and step forward, one by one, mayor keeps a solemn look on his face and slowly nods in approval. He then pauses, taking a look around as if waiting for someone else to step in. Nobody does.

"Ahem. Your task won't be an easy one. We have prepared some supplies to help you with this quest." - the mayor waves towards the cart - "But first, who will you nominate to carry the lantern? Who will have the honor to light it with the flame?" - he holds up the tarnished silver lantern he is carrying and waits for you to answer.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the cart are five medium-sized backpacks, all looking more or less similar. It seems they all contain something, though you will have to open a backpack to see what's inside. Let's call them backpacks 1 through 5.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elissa looks at the others gathered to enter the tombs. She returns the nods and encouraging smiles of Gwynvieve and Alabaster--neither of whom she really knows, though she has seen them around town a time or two. Phillip she was a bit more familiar with--at least familiar enough to know his brutish appearance didn't match his temperament. She'd be glad to have him along.

"Well," she says to her new companions, "Any takers?" She doesn't feel presumptive enough to claim the honor without offering it to the others.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

8. - Top - End - #8

Gwyn turns and favors the two men who volunteer with the same small smile she had given the other woman. She doesn't get a good look at the first man, but when the second draws back his hood to reveal long, tapered ears, Gwyn's eyes briefly widen before she remembers her manners and flashes the elf an apologetic simper. It was funny for her to think of elves as ever being adolescents; she supposes somewhere in the back of her mind she must have thought them fully grown and possessing all of their grace and wisdom from day one. Just as she's wondering how they'll all relate given the age disparity, the Mayor begins talking again and Gwyn's idle musings are cut short.

When the Mayor asks who will bear the lantern, Gwyn looks toward each of her companions, waiting to see if any of them would step forward. As an outsider, regardless of the close relationship between Kassen and The Grove, Gwyn wants to be helpful, but is concerned that accepting the honor might not sit well with the townies. On the other hand, her fellow "adventurers" also look as though they may have their hands full later with the various weapons they all carry, whereas Gwyn plans to use her staff mostly to poke at metal objects. "I could hold it..." Gwyn hesitantly offers. "I mean, I'm no fighter. Not like you three, anyway. So if it makes your all's job easier... I could hold it."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The honor of carrying the lantern was something which Alabaster assumed someone from the town would want. It surprises him, then, that one of the townies offers the honor to anyone of the group, looking around at the others instead of volunteering for herself. And then, it's the other girl that steps forward and offers to take it. Being that he has no particular investment in wanting to carry the torch first (he's sure eventually they would all get a turn, at some point) he keeps quiet, and nods his approval to the young women of the group.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Removing one of her gauntlet-clad hands from her quarterstaff, the ominous-looking Zion Watchtower reached out and grabbed the lantern. ”It is an honor I carry this Lantern. It means so much to me that I can finally prove myself by venturing to the Crypt to retrieve the Everflame. Though I am burned from last year’s incident, I will lead the group as a symbol that no matter what happens, anybody can overcome adversity with a little grit and determination.”

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Having handed you the lantern, Mayor Uptal turns to face the crowd and, somewhat theatrically proclaims: "I present to you the brave heroes who will follow in Kassen’s footsteps to retrieve the Everflame! Some of them may not return, but I say to you that their sacrifice shall not be forgotten." Then he turns back to you. "Please don't forget to take the supplies we have prepared for you. You will need them on your quest. Then go, brave heroes, and do not return until you have the eternal fire!"

With that, the mayor points to the south, the direction of Kassen’s tomb.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Immediately, Zion begins to head that way, gesturing with her gauntlet-clad hand for the others to follow. Her pentagram-like birthmark visible to anybody paying attention as she faces the group, she says, ” Well, I’m not one just to loiter around, so I say we should get moving!”

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elissa takes one of the backpacks from the cart and shoulders it, without checking its contents--time for that later. She smiles at the others in her group. "Aye, let's be about it. Quicker we head out, quicker we get back home." Weapons and gear at the ready, she takes a few steps in the direction they're going to take and pauses for the others.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Let's say she grabbed backpack 2. Since you numbered them, I assume the one you take does matter.

-----

14. - Top - End - #14

Thankful to have the question of who should carry the lantern answered by the arrival of a fifth volunteer, Gwyn turns to give the newcomer the same smile she had given all the others. But her smile falls on seeing the lantern bearer, replaced instead with a look of uneasy surprise at the large, vaguely unsettling mark this new woman bears upon her forehead. Gwyn knows better than to gawp, really, but the sight is so unexpected that she finds herself doing just that regardless, and her eyes widen even further after the other woman grasps the lantern with one severely burned hand. It reminds her uncomfortably of the time she nearly melted a pair of leather gloves onto her own hands after trying to conjure flames while wearing them. Since then Gwyn has always gone barehanded; she'd rather risk harm from accidentally touching metal than having her hands look like... well. When the woman turns to face them, Gwyn quickly drops her gaze down to the backpacks lying in the cart, hoping that her momentary lapse in manners hadn't been noticed.

Well, had she known that supplies would be provided, she wouldn't have bothered bringing so much of her own stuff with her. Still, it was better to have and not need, and so Gwyn shuffles supplies from one pack to another before shouldering her now heavier burden and setting off with the group. She waits until they are a ways away from the crowd before trying to make conversation so as not to disturb the town's somber atmosphere. "So that stuff the Mayor said about some of us maybe not making it back... that was just him being ceremonious, right? I mean, no one has ever not come back before, right?" she questions the group, more curious than anything. Although she had grown up knowing of the tradition that The Grove and Kassen shared, not being able to witness all the previous years' ceremonies left the young woman a bit fuzzy on the details. "I'm Gwynvieve, by the way. Gwynvieve Thornweaver. But you all can call me Gwyn."

Show
    Gwyn will take backpack #4.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Sheba View Post
    Thankful to have the question of who should carry the lantern answered by the arrival of a fifth volunteer, Gwyn turns to give the newcomer the same smile she had given all the others. But her smile falls on seeing the lantern bearer, replaced instead with a look of uneasy surprise at the large, vaguely unsettling mark this new woman bears upon her forehead. Gwyn knows better than to gawp, really, but the sight is so unexpected that she finds herself doing just that regardless, and her eyes widen even further after the other woman grasps the lantern with one severely burned hand. It reminds her uncomfortably of the time she nearly melted a pair of leather gloves onto her own hands after trying to conjure flames while wearing them. Since then Gwyn has always gone barehanded; she'd rather risk harm from accidentally touching metal than having her hands look like... well. When the woman turns to face them, Gwyn quickly drops her gaze down to the backpacks lying in the cart, hoping that her momentary lapse in manners hadn't been noticed.

Well, had she known that supplies would be provided, she wouldn't have bothered bringing so much of her own stuff with her. Still, it was better to have and not need, and so Gwyn shuffles supplies from one pack to another before shouldering her now heavier burden and setting off with the group. She waits until they are a ways away from the crowd before trying to make conversation so as not to disturb the town's somber atmosphere. "So that stuff the Mayor said about some of us maybe not making it back... that was just him being ceremonious, right? I mean, no one has ever not come back before, right?" she questions the group, more curious than anything. Although she had grown up knowing of the tradition that The Grove and Kassen shared, not being able to witness all the previous years' ceremonies left the young woman a bit fuzzy on the details. "I'm Gwynvieve, by the way. Gwynvieve Thornweaver. But you all can call me Gwyn."

Show
    Gwyn will take backpack #4.
    ”Gwyn, it is a pleasure to meet you. You are nicer already than the girls who did this to my arms, so that’s a plus. I get mocked all the time because of this birthmark on my forehead, those girls just took it a step further and tried to burn me alive in the church crematorium. I got out, though, thank the gods. While we walk, maybe we can take turns learning about each other. I recognize some of you, being how Kassen is a small town, but I don’t recall ever working closely with any of you. Please jog my memory if I’m wrong.”

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Bast will take #3, then.

Alabaster sets off with the others, leaving the town behind without looking back. What point is there to looking back, after all? It isn't like he's got anyone to wave to, and besides, there was a much more interesting path laying ahead of them than what they'd left behind. He listens to Gwyn introduce herself, offering a smile as she does so, and is about to reassure her when Zion speaks first. The girl is... strange, to say the least. But she isn't the only one with odd marks on her face. The tattoos around Alabaster's eyes and jaw have drawn plenty of attention since he left home, so he does the polite thing and doesn't ask about Zion's. Just as he'd prefer no one ask about his.

"Alabaster Kraine," he says, giving the others in the group a wink. "But, please. Call me Bast." His Common is accented, his vowels coming out taller and posher-sounding than the accent held by most of the lowland folk around here. It's distinctly elven; musical and a bit more lilting than how humans commonly speak their native tongue. Even so, there's nothing condescending in his tone, which usually seems to pair itself with those of the elven race when they speak. Instead, he gives off a much more relaxed aura despite his seeming formality. "I suppose I'm indubitably new to Kassen, so maybe I'm not the authority to ask, but this trip is quite safe as far as I'm aware," he assures Gwyn.

Spoiler: Edit for little fun tidbit
    Show
    I'm picturing Alabaster with a British (Londoner) accent. Common wasn't his first language and he learned from highly intellectual elves, so he uses big words here and there, but he's really quite relaxed.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-10-12 at 11:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phillip picks up and shoulders the two remaining backpacks since one seemed to have been left behind, and follows the group out of town. Once they'd made it far enough away that they were out of eye sight of the ceremony and the gathered crowd, he finally speaks. "My name is Phillip. These woods can be dangerous, so we must be cautious and observant as we make our way. We should stop and make sure our supplies and effects are in order. I hope everyone has brought some food. We will move much slower if we have to forage along the way." The heavily scarred half-orc gathers his long, stringy, white hair in his hands and ties it behind his head now that he was only among his traveling companions. The right side of his face is severely scarred, leaving one of his eyes completely dead and white in the socket. It becomes apparent why he lets his hair typically hang in front of his face but having a good eye on your surroundings seems more important at the moment.

Phillip sets the two remaining bags on the ground and stops. "We should go through all of the bags and account for what we have. We don't know which bag holds what, and as it stands your bag could be holding something not useful to yourself but important for someone else." With that, he crouches down and begins to open and root through the two bags he was carrying.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elissa shrugs at Zion's question. "Not much to tell, really. I'm William Ardt's daughter--I've been helping him out trapping in the woods since I was a little girl. I'm here because... well, because it seemed like the thing to do."

"Phillip's right, though,"
    she says, nodding to the half-orc. "Need to keep our eyes open. I think that stuff about some of us not coming back was exaggerated... but the woods can be dangerous. I've got a few days of food, at least." She opens the backpack and examines its contents as she walks.

-----

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Realizing it would be a good idea to take stock of his supplies, Alabaster takes his pack off of his shoulder as well. As he opens it, his eyes light up for a moment - literally - as he seeks out any sparks of magic in his pack. Really, he should have checked for this sooner... just in case.

Spoiler: DM and Party Note
    Show
    Alabaster has constant Detect Magic within 60 feet, so if anyone's got anything magical, he knows about its existence - though he will still have to make checks to find out what it is, of course.

20. - Top - End - #20

Gobsmacked is as fitting a word as any to describe what Gwyn feels when the burned woman relates her story. At a loss for words, she looks around at the others helplessly, half thinking that the tale, almost outlandish in its awfulness, is merely a prank these townies have decided to pull on her as a grover. But their faces betray no hint of mischief and eventually Gwyn realizes that the event is something the marked woman actually had to endure. "It... would be hard not to be nicer than that," Gwyn ends up saying after a long pause, the thought of that occurrence being the standard by which the other woman judged other people leaving her both sad and concerned. "That's horrible. I'm sorry that happened to you, uh... I didn't actually get your name."

Bast's smile puts Gwyn at ease after the rocky introduction, and she returns the friendly expression with one of her own, along with a traditional Elven greeting. Unfortunately, it comes out more butchered than not thanks to the rather unmusical country accent that colors her words. "Sorry, my accent's atrocious. I don't get to practice my Elven very much, I'm afraid."

Then, just when she thought she was done making a fool of herself in front of her new companions, Phillip finally introduces himself. If her handling of Zion's startling appearance was clumsy, Gwyn is downright cloddish when she sees the half-orc's face for the first time. She feels herself physically recoil and blurt "Oh ...mercy" before she can restrain herself. Not a second later, the color in Gwyn's cheeks threatens to rival the vibrant shade of her hair. Mortified by her own reaction to Phillip's injuries, she quickly ducks her head and begins checking through her pack to avoid the daggers she knows he must be shooting at her. "I... I brought some food, too, if anyone needs it. I don't have any meat, though. Just nuts and berries and a bit of sweetbread." Gwyn hazards a glance up at Phillip, wanting to apologize but not wishing to make him any more uncomfortable by drawing more attention to things. Maybe she could find a moment in private with him later that day. "But I'm happy to share."

Show
    And that was about my reaction when I first saw Phillip's picture.

Also, Bast would be able to detect three magical auras radiating from a case that hangs off of her back hip.
    Last edited by Queen of Sheba; 2019-10-13 at 11:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

You grab the backpacks and leave the town accompanied by the cheers of the crowd, or at least of as much of a crowd as the town can muster. There is not much in the way of farmland outside of Kassen, the forest starts almost immediately outside of the walls. A few children follow you for some short distance, but you send them back while the town is still in view. You walk the trail southwards for some time. The weather is somewhat windy and somewhat cloudy, but nothing out of ordinary. When you lose the last signs of town behind a smooth turn of the trail, you stop to check the backpacks.

Spoiler: Backpack #1
    Show
    5 days’ worth of rations
    a small tent
    a winter blanket
    a full waterskin
    50 feet of hempen rope
    a piece of map
    Spoiler: Backpack #2
    Show
    5 days’ worth of rations
    a small tent
    a winter blanket
    a full waterskin
    a grappling hook
    a piece of map
    Spoiler: Backpack #3
    Show
    5 days’ worth of rations
    a small tent
    a winter blanket
    a full waterskin
    a labeled potion of cure light wounds
    a torch
    a piece of map
    Spoiler: Backpack #4
    Show
    5 days’ worth of rations
    a small tent
    a winter blanket
    a full waterskin
    a small bottle of local brandy
    a torch
    a piece of map
    Spoiler: Backpack #5
    Show
    5 days’ worth of rations
    a small tent
    a winter blanket
    a full waterskin
    a box containing tinder and three tindertwigs
    a torch
    a piece of map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now is the time you get your first "loot". As we all know, with every (property) right there is a corresponding record-keeping responsibility. So, please, every time you are taking anything, from anywhere, mark it on your sheet (ideally with a #nnn mark, where nnn is the number of post where I describe the stuff or you describe yor character taking the stuff or something along the lines). If you did not mark it, you did not take it. And, consequently, do not have it. (and if nobody marked it, nobody has it, so please keep an eye on each other regarding the most important stuff)

Weather: (1d8)[4] (more is better)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

”Zion Watchtower is my name. I tend the crypts, graves, and mausoleums at the Church of Erastil. I am also the one who cooks the food for the annual Feast of Legends upon each group’s heroic return from the Crypt of the Everflame. Upon my return, I’ll be promoted to head grave-keeper and will select a new grave-keeping apprentice. My master is growing old, but he cannot retire till I’ve come of age and can take over. All I’ve brought with me is my Armor and some annointing oil. You see, after my encounter with those girls last year, I developed some powers—namely, the power to conjure fire from my palms and to make undead creatures not harm me—I really don’t talk about my powers much but I think I should mention that now, as I’m sure some of you are wondering why I’m unarmed. I can also heal people just by touching them.”
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-10-14 at 01:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's always good to have a healer around," Bast says, giving Zion a smile. Her story is quite a sad one - attempted murder is not something to scoff at, and the way the girl just brushes it off her shoulders as she does... despite being permanently scarred from the event... it is saddening. Strange as the girl appears, she seems quite sweet. Bast hadn't realized humans could be quite so cruel. "As for what I capable of... I'm adroit with a crossbow, and I was born with the ability to see magic... like this here," he says, pulling out the potion of cure light wounds from his backpack. "This will come in handy... though, while we're telling each other about ourselves and our... relative quirks, I suppose I should tell you all that magic can be a little... volatile, in my hands. Those of you that cast spells shouldn't feel any affect from it, but if we come across something like a scroll or a wand, keep it well away from me," he says, his tone a little self-depreciating as he gives a little smile - like he's laughing at an inside joke. Rooting around in his pack a little more, he pulls out the scrap of map, turning it over in his hands. "Hey, any of you others have something like this?" he questions as he repacks the items from the town into his own backpack, leaving the pack itself sitting aside.

Spoiler: Bast's Claims
    Show
    Bast will be taking everything in Backpack 3 except the backpack itself - so if anyone wants that backpack, it's up for grabs. I also had him pull out and specifically hold up the CLW potion so if anyone wants to trade for it, you know it's there. Since Bast is a ranged fighter, he could probably be easily convinced to trade the potion to one of the frontliners.

All of the contents of #3 are noted on my sheet now.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-10-14 at 02:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

In answer, Gwyn holds up a similar bit of parchment for the others to look at. "Huh... I suppose it would be nice to know where we're heading. Guess I just figured you townies would know the way to the crypt by now and I could just follow you," the girl admits with a bashful smile. Although none of her companions had yet to undertake the quest to retrieve the Everflame until now—obviously—Gwyn had always imagined the crypt as a popular meeting-place for folks of their age to indulge in a bit of youthful mischief and adventure. After all, she's always assumed that life in Kassen had to be more exciting than her quiet existence back in The Grove.

As talk turns to what each person in their group is capable of, Gwyn is surprised to find she and Zion are more alike—at least in terms of abilities—than she had initially assumed. It's a smart idea, knowing what each other's strengths and weaknesses are on the off chance they do run into any trouble. So when the time for Gwyn to share comes around, she does so freely. "Well, when I help bring back the Everflame—or, if I make it back," Gwyn corrects herself with an amused snort before continuing, "I'll officially be initiated into my community's druidic order." Her tone is not what one would expect from someone eager to undergo such an important rite. For a few moments, the girl's typically open expression becomes a faraway look, as if her mind is in another place. Distantly remembering that she had been in the middle of saying something important, Gwyn blinks, chasing away her idle ponderings and coming back to the matter at hand. "Anyway, I've had some training in the things you might expect. I'm a fair healer, least when it comes to bumps and scrapes and such. I, uh... Oh, I can speak to animals. And I can get along in the wilds well enough, too; know how to stay dry and which berries are safe to eat and whatnot," she says, bringing the hood of her emerald cloak up to shield her from the wind and help conceal her vibrant red tresses. Like Elissa and Phillip had said, one never knew where danger might be lurking in the Fangwood Forest; it was best to try and keep it from spotting you before you spotted it. "But mostly, I shoot fire out of my hands, too," she says, giving Zion a conspiratorial wink.

Show
    Sheet is updated!
    Last edited by Queen of Sheba; 2019-10-15 at 03:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"No, the crypts aren't really somewhere most folks go on a regular basis..." Elissa looks at Gwyn's fragment, then digs around in the pack and pulls out her own, comparing the two. "Hmm... seems like a piece or two missing." She glances at the others. "Probably the rest of the map is in your packs..."

-----

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

"Unless I find a place to set my lantern down, I'll need one of you to check my bag. I remember hearing a legend warning the lantern shouldn't touch the ground. I'm not sure how true it is, but I'd rather not find out."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phillip ignores the startled reactions his face is eliciting. It's happened his entire life, and finds that if he doesn't engage about it or acknowledge it, it's typically for the best. Wordlessly he goes about fishing out the contents of the two packs he is carrying. At the prompting of the dark haired, armored woman he takes the two pieces of the split map and lays them out on the ground so he can better get a sense of what they are. He looks up at his newfound companions and gestures to the map, indicating they should find where their pieces go as well.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Bast kneels down beside Philip and glances at the pieces of the map. "Right... this shouldn't be too hard to figure out," he hummed.

Spoiler: Intelligence Check
    Show
    To put the map together correctly: (1d20+3)[13]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

You have all the pieces and, there being just five of them, they fit together easily. Soon you look at laid up on the ground complete trail map. You have to use some twigs and stones to keep the pieces from being blown away by occasional gusts of wind. Phillip is pretty sure he can get the group as far as the lake with no problem at all, after which the trail becomes mostly this map's invention.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

”That Gorge looks pretty deep on the map. How do we plan on crossing it?”