New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Crypt of the Everflame IC

Elissa detects absolutely no evil about the orc. Which is not particularly surprising giving how detect evil works as the orc does not seem like he's a priest or something. Meanwhile, Alabaster detects something funny. All three orcs, both alive and dead, shine one solid aura of moderate Illusion. "Keep that potion away." says the orc "You might need it for later." then he grins "I'm here just to test your resolve, that's it. And mercy's good thing, I like it." Then all three orcs disappear, leaving behind only a lingering aura.

Upon a closer inspection, the damage Phillip has suffered does not seem particularly real either. Gwyn's cure seems to do the trick of bringing him back to full health. There is still a quickly forming bruise, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Your disbelief rolls so far:
    Phillip will: (1d20+3)[4] and (1d20+3)[7]
    Elissa will: (1d20+2)[12]
    Alabaster will: (1d20+1)[6]
    Zion will: (1d20)[6]
    Yeah.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

"They were not real," Bast murmurs, able now to see the auras for what they were. He lets out a breath. It was a test, wasn't it? "They were illusions," he announces to the others. "I saw that they had magic upon them, but I did not focus quickly enough on it... I'm sorry, I won't make that mistake again."
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phillip watches in astonishment as the three orcs rapidly disappear, fading from reality. His hand reflexively goes to put pressure on the "wound" he had sustained that had now seemingly been healed, if it had truly existed at all. His eyes meet with Gwyn's only for the briefest moment before he looks back down at the ground. He gives her a curt nod and mutters "My thanks." Realizing that there may be something more than these simple illusions afoot Phillip scans the area for any movement or sounds. "What sorcery is this? Show yourself."
    Last edited by Shub-Niggurath; 2019-11-01 at 02:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elissa slowly lowers her weapon. She stares at where the orcs were a moment ago. "A test?" She looks at the others. "By the town leaders, I suppose?" She sheathes her blade. "Well... plenty out here that could still be a threat. Best not to assume everything we run into's another illusion." She scans the forest, briefly wondering if whoever made the illusion was still here... but she doubts they'd show themselves if they were. "Come on, let's keep going. Lots of ground still to cover."
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

No one reveal themselves at Phillip's request. You hear the normal sounds of an autumn forest (that is not much) and the only movement seem to be that of the bare trees gently swaying in the wind. Seeing no other obvious options, you move onward. You follow the trail without encountering any more orcs, illusions, or other disturbances. The trail leans west as you pass the Broken Glade, you turn left as it splits in two. The trail gets thinner after the split, but Phillip is pretty sure it is the trail you have to follow. Soon you are back into the woods, but you are still quite some way from the Gray Lake when the sunlight begins to fade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Camping, anyone? You could make it to the Gray Lake today, but it would be well after dark. Otherwise, describe your procedure for the evening and night, complete with guard shifts, if any.
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-11-04 at 09:53 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"I'd rather not be moving out here after dark," Elissa says, glancing to Phillip to gauge his opinion as well. "I say we find somewhere fairly safe off the road and rest for the night."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Elissa will definitely take a watch--probably the first or last watch, especially if there's not much moonlight out. Inferior human vision and all.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Alabaster had been set to go all night if needed, but then he remembers that, ah, yes, sleep was required for those who were not elven. He curses his own ignorance and forgetfulness on the matter before looking to the others. "I do not require sleep - elves like me, we trance through the night, and remain aware of our surroundings. If you all would prefer it, I can keep the watch all through the night. Though, I certainly would not mind some company," he says with a little smile.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground

Gwyn's copper eyebrows briefly hike up in surprise at Bast's revelation about the sleeping habits of his people, but she files that bit of impressive information away for another time while shaking her head at his suggestion. "No reason for you to shoulder that burden all by your lonesome," she demurs, punctuating her opinion with a barely stifled yawn. "You're entitled to as much rest as any of us. Or however much you can get," Gwyn adds with a teasing smile. "As for me, I can see pretty well by starlight, so it wouldn't be any trouble for me take watch in the middle of the night."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

You decide it's time to camp. It does not take long to locate a campsite of your choice some distance off the trail. You have set up your tents and are still dining when you hear a howl off in the distance. Over the next hour the howls seem to get closer, then cease.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival 10 to locate a sufficiently level campsite, your choice of:
    1. Open (only bare deciduous trees around)
    2. Closed (bushes all around)
    3. Anything in between
    If you don't want to choose, finding an adequate campsite is automatic, but you are familiar enough with this type of landscape to take 10 on survival, so it's automatic anyway.

Also, make your choice of burning/not burning a fire throughout the night.

Watches:
    1. Alabaster/Elissa
    2. Alabaster/Zion
    3. Gwynvieve*
    4. Phillip*
    *But feel free to push Bast in the shoulder if you notice something (I believe trancing is -5 to perception, not standing up, and wrapped in something warm, but otherwise pretty good to go)

It's still the first watch right now, I'm not yet advancing the time further pending your decisions.
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-11-06 at 11:19 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Hearing the howls, Bast gives an involuntary little shudder. He'll never regret leaving home leaving home, but in a moment like this, when he can feel danger drawing in, he can't help but be a bit rattled. "You all hear that?" he asks.

Show
    Considering Bast isn't the survivalist, he'll leave it to the others to decide where we set up camp.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

”This was a test today—but by who?”

Zion looks around, trying to see if she sees anything out of the usual.

Seeing nothing, she helps the others set up camp.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Wolves." Elissa looks about, though the dark trees show no signs of the predators. "They usually won't come near larger groups... unless they're desperate. Still, best we stick together. The more of us there are, the more likely we are to scare them off."

Elissa keeps an eye out for a good camping spot, helping the others set up as she does so. Once they begin settling down for the night, she sits near the fire with Bast. "Been quite a day, hasn't it? I figure things'll just get harder from here." She shivers a bit and pulls her cloak tighter around her.

Show
    Survival to find a campsite: (1d20+6)[20]
    Perception during the watch: (1d20)[5]

-----

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Your camp has a good location surrounded on two-thirds of its perimeter by a thick bush and has a clear view on the other third. You place a fire near this "entrance", post the guards and go to sleep. Some time passes when Elissa notes two glowing eyes in the dark creeping up slowly. Seems like a medium quadruped or maybe a small biped, Elissa does not see well enough in the dark outside of the radius illuminated by the fire.

Spoiler
    Show
    Something stealth: (1d20+6)[13]
    Alabaster perception: (1d20+7)[12]
    Elissa perception: (1d20)[13] (I used your first roll)
    Something or Elissa: (1d2)[2]

Something init: (1d20+2)[7]
    Elissa init: (1d20+2)[13]

=> Elissa

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elissa draws her sword and stands up. "Hey, Bast," she calls to the elf, not loud enough to wake the others. "Got something over here." Watching the pair of eyes, she kicks a rock in the creature's direction, hoping to scare it off.

-----

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

An ear twitches, and Bast opens his eyes to blink up at Elissa. "Is there?" he asks, his voice similarly lowered as he picks up his crossbow and stands. "Should we wake the others? What is it?"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

The eyes disappear into the dark. Alabaster, looking in the direction pointed, sees one fleeing wolf*.

Some time passes without a further incident and Elissa goes to sleep, replaced by Zion, then, a bit later, Bast notices more wolves some 250 feet from the camp. They are spread out and slowly advancing. Bast counts three of them.

Spoiler
    Show
    *You can make one shot at the retreating wolf. I rolled it to speed the things up and it's a miss, but you still can choose to either make it or not.
    Alabaster crossbow: (1d20+2)[4] for (1d10)[8]

Wolf stealth: (1d20+6)[14]
    Wolf stealth: (1d20+6)[7]
    Wolf stealth: (1d20+6)[14]
    Alabaster perception: (1d20+7)[23]
    Zion perception: (1d20-2)[0]

=> Alabaster

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Bast doesn't load an arrow for now, seeing the wolves run off. But he stays alert and with his hand on his crossbow through the next few hours. When he sees the wolves edging closer again, he turns to nudge the others that are sleeping. "They're back in numbers," he tells Elissia.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Bast wakes up everybody while Zion stands ready, but not able to see anything in the dark. When Bast turns back to face the wolves, he sees them about hundred feet from the fire, widely spread out.

Spoiler
    Show
    The nudging is going to take a while (one round per nudger per tent). Let's say, as follows, unless Zion takes part too:
    Round 1: Elissia - can also do two rounds worth of actions before this round, starting unarmed inside the tent
    Round 2: Gwyn - can also do one round worth of actions before this round, starting unarmed inside the tent
    Round 3: Phillip starts unarmed inside the tent

=> Party

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elissa straps on her belt with her knife and pulls her sword from its scabbard before exiting the tent. No time for the armor, unfortunately. She faces outwards from the fire, though she also can't see very far into the darkness. "Can you tell how many?" she asks, a trace of nervousness in her voice. Seems they hadn't been scared off after all...

-----

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

"Three, I believe," Bast says, indicating where he can see the eyes watching them.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Zion readies a spell as standard action and moves to light up one of the wolves’ world.

22. - Top - End - #82

"What is it? More orcs?" Gwyn groggily asks, grabbing her spell component pouch before clambering out of the tent. It was a neat trick the townies had pulled off earlier, getting them to fight the illusory bandits; and funny, too, once it became clear that they were never in any real danger. But if this late-night call to arms is simply more of the same, Gwyn is far less likely to appreciate it a second time given the interruption to her sleep. After getting to her feet, Gwyn rubs the bleariness from her eyes before scanning the section of the darkened forest Bast pointed towards. "Oh, I see... They must be starving to wander up so close to us like this." Though her group might have plenty of rations to spare, Gwyn thinks it a poor idea to teach the wolves to associate humans (well, humanoids) with food. Better to turn them away and let nature take its course.

And so the "druid-in-training" clears her throat as she prepares to communicate with the wolves, the tongue of the wilds a gift that comes easily to her now. She issues a low warning growl before the vocalizations that sound suspiciously like barking, followed by a keening set of howls. "Hey! Hey! There's no food here! Ooooooonly pain! Gooooo away!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Round 1
    Full: Sleeping
    Round 2
    Move: Grab spell component pouch
    Move: Exit tent
    Round 3
    Move: Stand up
    Standard: Use Feral Speech hex
    Free: Talk to puppies

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

The wolves pause their advancement, wait for some short time, them begin to back up. Assuming you want to neither shoot not chase, that pretty much ends your tonight's interaction with them. Some time on her shift Gwyn hears more wolf howls at the distance, but this time they are getting progressively further away. The weather remains somewhat windy throughout the night, but not terribly so. Good morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the time to write off consumed rations, one per person.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

As Gwyn makes the wolves retreat, Bast lets out a sigh of relief. "Good to have you with us," he tells the fiery-haired girl, patting her shoulder once before settling down. He remains alert enough through the rest of the night, and has his crossbow in his lap as he trances, but thankfully it is not needed. When morning comes, he rises with the others, snacking a bit on his rations for breakfast as he helps clear camp.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phillip awakes and begins his morning routine of stretching and readying his gear and belongings. One the others are awake, have eaten, and have cleared camp he takes another look at their map.

"We still have quite a lot of ground to cover and I'm not overly familiar with the wilderness coming up. We all need to keep our eyes and ears open and our wits about us if we're going to find this place. Last nights encounter with the wolves could become more and more frequent the further we get from town and the deeper into their territory we travel. If everyone is ready, Bast and I can lead the way again."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Bast nods at once when Philip speaks. "I can take point," he agrees. "Though the farther in we get, the less useful I will be at finding the path, I fear. So long as someone directs us which way to go, though, I am keen to use my senses to our advantage," he said.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Bast and Phillip lead the party to the Gray Lake. It is still early in the day when the trees begin to thin, revealing a field of short green grass that leads to the shores of a wide lake reflecting the overcast sky above. A mist seems to be constantly rising from the lake only to be blown away by the wind. Near the shore of the lake, a dark form lies next to the water.

Spoiler: Know (local) 10 OR anyone been here
    Show
    The mist thing seems OK. It's always like this.

28. - Top - End - #88

Gwyn can't help the awe-filled gasp she gives at the idyllic scene that greets them at the lake. "Wow... It's so beautiful here." She makes a slow circle, taking in all the splendour the tranquil little glade has to offer before the form near the lake catches her eye. "Hey. What's that down there?" Gwyn starts to make her way over to the figure without waiting for a response. The idea that there may be more trickery afoot by the town's leaders does cross her mind, but it isn't enough to outweigh her concern that the shape might be someone who needs help.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elissa also takes in the sights--she's never been this far out before. The lake is beautiful, tranquil... but they can't afford to let their guard down too much. "Be careful," she tells Gwyn, following her at a short distance towards the dark shape.

Show
    K (Local): (1d20)[17]
    Perception to pick out any details about the shape: (1d20)[9]

Paladins: not known for their skill points :P

-----

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ladies, please, let me take a look. I can move quietly through this haze," Bast insists, moving in front of Gwyn and Elissia. His eyes glow faintly as he draws closer to the figure, seeking out the presence of magic.

Show
    Stealth - (1d20+8)[18]
    Perception - (1d20+7)[26]