New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Casting with a Spyglass

So I was thinking of making a super sniper Sorlock, and saw the Warforged integrated Tool. The idea was to have that tool be a spyglass, and use it to better see a target over range for the super sniper with a 1200 ft eldritch blast.

The question, with a somatic component needed for eldritch blast, could I use the integrated tool in this way when it specifies it needs both hands free to use? Is the spyglass even needed/would it help?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Casting with a Spyglass

Spyglass is not a tool. It has no proficiency associated with it, so WF can't pick it for Integrated Tool.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Even if you could choose spyglass, you have to have your hands free to use the integrated tool, that means actively using the tool would mean you have no free hands to cast with.

In an area where you would have line of sight out to 1200ft you shouldn't need a spyglass anyway, a spyglass doesn't allow you to see farther it lets you see targets at twice their size. It's more for discerning details not for discerning a target.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2019-10-06 at 02:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

You'd be able to do this with a regular spyglass. One hand free for the spell and other hand holds the spyglass. I'd allow it as a DM though I'd probably allow it anyway without the spyglass. Humans can see a few inches of details at 1200ft. More than enough to hit someones body with an spell sniper eldritch spear with the unaided eye. It's magic after all.

https://www.quora.com/How-far-in-dis...an-the-eye-see

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Spyglass doesn't impact the range or accuracy of any attacks. A spell-sniper/eldritch-spear EB is just as accurate at 10ft as it is at 600ft

You might certainly earn some roleplaying points or gain advantage to perceive an enemy using a spyglass, but there's almost nothing else mechanically to reward this behavior.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I'd just fluff the ittle spyglass popping up over your eye when you start shooting at that range rather than it having any mehanical effect. As others have said, a spyglass is not a tool which conveys mechanical benefits, nor is a spyglass necessary for EB to function at this range; it seems perfect for a bit of harmless fluff rather than a thing with actual mechanical weight.