The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Anyone up so a simple, solo, core only game I DM(D&D, 3.5)

So I've been playing D&D awhile now. Not too long. I think around two years. I've never DM'd a game, and think I'm ready. I'd like to do a solo game as I think that'll be easier as well as it being core only.

I don't know what else to say so the big 16:

What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5

What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Standard D&D setting, not Greyhawk or anything like that, but the gods are from the PHB

How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

Just one. Other people can post interest if the first person falls through

What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

This forum.

What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 4

How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard level 4 starting funds (I don't have a copy of the DMG right in front of me at the moment, will have one soon, so if it's not too much trouble could you look it up for now)

Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Just the stuff in the PHB and DMG. Nothing homebrewed

What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Just the races in the PHB.

By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

30 point buy, and max HP

Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Any good or Lawful Neutral or True Neutral. I'm not ready as a DM for evil or how some people play chaotic neutral

Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

standard multiclassing rules in the PHB

Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

You roll your own dice

Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Just a few. Hopefully this won't be too much to take in: I've heard in 4th edition you get +1 to two stats ever four levels. I really like this as it doesn't allow players to just pick one stat they boost up every four levels. However the two +1 have to be in two different stats. You can't just level up one stat faster. Also (to encourage creativity) pick one skill that isn't a class skill. That is now a class skill. I want you to think about why your specific character would have that extra skill and how they got it. Also as a result of having one more skill you get one more skill point per level (and four more at level 1).

Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Background is required. Make it at least a few paragraphs long.

Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

I'd like it to mostly be roleplaying.

Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Core only

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Anyone up so a simple, solo, core only game I DM(D&D, 3.5)

Hell, yes, I'm up to a solo game. I like the focus on one character both in story and personality.

Basics
    Lyandra Haivann
    female elf druid 4
    True Neutral, in an active way, restoring balance wherever she goes
    Str 10, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 14

Spoiler: Images
    Show

Spoiler: Elf racial traits
    Show
    Dex +2, Con -2
    Base speed: 30
    Immunity to sleep effects, +2 to ST vs. enchantment
    low-light vision
    proficient with longsword, longbow, shortbow
    +2 to listen, search, spot
    detect hidden doors
    languages: Elven, Sylvan

Spoiler: class abilities by level
    Show
    Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle animal, Heal, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Profession, Ride, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim
    W&A Proficiencies: club, dagger, dart, quaterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, spear, light and medium armor, shields

Level 1
    spontaneous casting: summon nature's ally in place of another spell
    animal companion: Snout, gray wolf
    nature sense
    wild empathy
    skill points: 16
    feat: eschew materials

Level 2
    woodland stride
    skill points: 4

Level 3
    trackless step
    feat: negotiator? self-sufficient? brew potion?

Level 4
    resist nature's lure
    BAB: +3, Fort save +4, Ref save +1, Will save +4
    +1 Attribute: Con
    Spell slots: 5 / 3+1 / 2+1
    skill max: 7 / 3

Background
    Lyandra has always been restless at home and wanted to see the world. From early childhood she would sneak away and wander the woods around her home (a small town or large village). She made friends with animals, learned the qualities of herbs, and made her first shelter at the age of 10 exclusively from material she found in the forest. Then she spent seven days there only eating what she could find around.

When she was getting an adult woman and friends and family started to talk about marriage and children, she became morose and spent more and more time wandering. She wasn't against romance and affairs, and had her share of dalliances, the idea of getting stuck in a settlement doing everyday chores made cringe and want to scream. While out in nature, she learned the way of the wilds, and got to appreciate the balance of things. Of life and death, of strength and softness, of thinking and intuition, and many other dualities.

After about a year of skulking, she made up her mind and told friends and family that she wasn't getting married and settled, and a week later she set out to meet the druids to ask them to teach her their ways. The following years were the most joyful ones in her life, doing what she wanted, and only occasionally visiting family. She became a full druid at the age of 30.
    (I deliberately leave it open whether she is a formal member of the druid organization and quests on their behalf or she is independent and wanders according to her own whims, both are fine with me).

Personality
    Lyandra is prudent first and foremost. She does not tend to judge people at first sight, she is inclined to measure the pros and cons of a situation before making a decision. She likes to see the big picture, mostly considering at least the area she represents the druidic organization, but she is known to go over that sometimes and make decisions almost on a phylosophical level.

However, that does not mean she is slow or stagnant. Change, adaption, and intuition are all part of nature and the world, and she is fine with all these ideas. When she is attacked, she won't discuss phylosophical questions in her mind, she'll defend herself. When dancing or singing, she goes with the flow and is prone to improvise.

She likes company, but she chooses that company and is ready to discard those who she is not comfprtable with, at least as friends go. She also likes the company of animals or plants, mostly because she finds them refreshingly honest.

NPCs
    One person that she considers a mentor, although no formal training was involved is Méann Ashbough, an old but young-looking druid. He is patient, he never got angry when she mistook a leaf for another, and he has a slightly sarcastic sense of humor that Lyandra enjoys very much.

Gellian Embervale is a young elf who fancies Lyandra, and she fancies him as well. They had some affairs in the warm forest nights, something Lyandra remembers with fondness. However, beyond being lovers, they don't have much in common, as Gellian is all for helping the weak, which goes against her sense of balance. Help is fine, but there are people who refuse to help themselves, and then Lyandra just moves on, and finds all who don't enhancing an illness. An illness of the soul.

Her other long-time friend is a relatively young treant, Longtoes, who is surprisingly sociable for its species. They actually wandered the forest and spent a long time together, mostly in silence, sometimes taking long talks about things that one of them has seen and the other hasn't.

On a fateful night, Lyandra was wandering in the forest as usual for her and she heard some commotion in the vicinity. She approached in silence and saw a group of gnomes preparing some arcane ritual. While watching for about half an hour, she soon realized all five of them were keeping silent, which was a great accomlishment for creatures like them. She finally realized they belonged to the Unseelie court, who had no right to conduct rituals in that particular part of the forest, so she stepped up and warned them to stop and leave immediately. 'Sheeeeesh. You ruined it, fool. You completely ruined it! Razzan will not be pleased!' and with that they spread out in every direction and disappeared into the shadows. She was first pleased with herself that she enforced keeping the treaty, but recently she noticed that she is being watched while out in the forest. She assumes it is that Razzan the gnomes mentioned.
    Last edited by FiberPilot; 2019-10-09 at 09:48 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have an idea for an elderly, pacifist cleric. Not much to tell - social skills plus Sanctuary, and fighting via proxy (summons, for instance) when fighting becomes unavoidable.

Question is whether such a character fits the bill, here? =)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ooh! This looks very interesting! I have a few ideas for this, but a lot depends on the kind of setting and story you have in mind. I however am tending towards a singer who is a bit of a thief on the side.

But seeing as others have already posted interest, I guess that that's not very relevant.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

I might be down for this. Got some RL gaming today, but I'll see if I can hash out a character afterwards.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Glad to see the interest, however FiberPilot posted first so they still have first claim. Someone could volunteer to be a DM for the other people showing interest though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm going to add some more detail to her personality, likes, dislikes, habits, and if you'd like something specific, Magic_Hat, go ahead and ask me.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by FiberPilot View Post
    I'm going to add some more detail to her personality, likes, dislikes, habits, and if you'd like something specific, Magic_Hat, go ahead and ask me.
    No. That probably won't be necessary. Just let me know when you're done. I'd like to get going before this weekend if that's possible.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

She is ready to be roleplayed, but mechanics are still incoming.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Where should I store the character sheet?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by FiberPilot View Post
    Where should I store the character sheet?
    Myth weavers or this thread. I can have a thread up tomorrow.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

13. - Top - End - #13

Sorry for the delay. I have the IC and OOC threads up:

OOC Thread
    IC thread

14. - Top - End - #14

No response from FiberPilot. I'm considering going to a backup soon. Anyone else interested?

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    No response from FiberPilot. I'm considering going to a backup soon. Anyone else interested?
    Hi yes hi me yes hi. :P

What sort of plot did you have in mind so far?

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Hi yes hi me yes hi. :P

What sort of plot did you have in mind so far?
    Something episodic. Like there's a monster attack peasants in a village. It's just a hungry dire wolf maybe. You kill or find another way to resolve the issue and move on to the next quest which might be something like delivering a package to the other side of a continent.

I was also thinking the combat would be kind of like a boss rush only. Like it's just one-on-one combat scenarios. I don't know how to do combat over these forums with multiple enemies. Don't worry, the foes will probably be lower level than you. If that sounds boring well I want this to be a mostly roleplaying game and the combat to be (for lack of a better term) "a glorified speedbump" if that makes sense.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

If, and only if, JNA Production is not up to that, PM me please.

18. - Top - End - #18

HalflingRangerGuy

I'm also throwing my hat as a backup player. In case you need it, just PM me.

Cheers.
    Tales of the Library: Gunnar of Miner's Pass

19. - Top - End - #19

Something episodic. Like there's a monster attack peasants in a village. It's just a hungry dire wolf maybe. You kill or find another way to resolve the issue and move on to the next quest which might be something like delivering a package to the other side of a continent.

I was also thinking the combat would be kind of like a boss rush only. Like it's just one-on-one combat scenarios. I don't know how to do combat over these forums with multiple enemies. Don't worry, the foes will probably be lower level than you. If that sounds boring well I want this to be a mostly roleplaying game and the combat to be (for lack of a better term) "a glorified speedbump" if that makes sense.
    Hm... Thinking maybe a Paladin, in that case, in the vein of Michael Carpenter.

I've got work till late today, but I'll be thinking of character and build while I do!

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Working on an as of yet unnamed Gnomish Paladin.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I could make a fighter--thats nic and easy.
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

You know what, I'll cede my spot to another person. I've got enough other games.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    You know what, I'll cede my spot to another person. I've got enough other games.
    That's fine. I'm just waiting for someone.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

By Core only, you mean PHB1?
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

I'm up. Core only.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1878520

That's Neffer.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Neffer was the daughter of her tribe's shaman. She was trained in the arts of the druids but her spirit remained that of a warrior.

She was never going to be the tribe's shaman. Her way was the sword, and her aim to lead the tribe into a better more glorious future. She is a natural leader of men, strong and resolute.

Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2019-10-22 at 03:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    I'm up. Core only.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1878520

That's Neffer.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Neffer was the daughter of her tribe's shaman. She was trained in the arts of the druids but her spirit remained that of a warrior.

She was never going to be the tribe's shaman. Her way was the sword, and her aim to lead the tribe into a better more glorious future. She is a natural leader of men, strong and resolute.

Is she ready? Are you all ready to go? Can I make the IC and OOC threads?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Is she ready? Are you all ready to go? Can I make the IC and OOC threads?
    I just need gear, but I wanted to wait until you aproved the crunch before shopping, i hate shopping.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    I just need gear, but I wanted to wait until you aproved the crunch before shopping, i hate shopping.
    Looks good to me. Go shopping.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

So terribly, incredibly interested!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Looks good to me. Go shopping.
    Done,

She is going around with a zoo. Her Eagle companion, Rusty, and her two hunting dogs: Pandora and Pollux.

Everything is core and srd.

If you ever reconsider expanding, I'll try to make her qualify for Beast Master.