The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 202
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Yes, the central tunnel is very different from the others. It's 6' wide and 8' high, very well worked with smooth surfaces, and looks much older. The smaller ones are in the same size range as those you came through to get here.

    Riley takes the crossbow, noting there's no bolts, and offers the shortsword to Akiren, "I could Identify these, but I'd rather do so as ritual casting, which takes 11 minutes for each. We should back away if you want me to do that."

    Akiren takes the sword with a questioning look at Magnus, "I can't just let them escape. I'd bet the larger tunnel is filled with traps. I must see this through to the end. Either they all die or I do trying to eradicate them."

    Unless Magnus shows an interest in the sword, he keeps it and moves into the largest of the small tunnels.

    At that moment Magnus' vision goes black for a moment, a slightly metallic, multi tone voice sounds in his mind, "The eggs are stirring, and will begin hatching soon." His vision then returns to normal.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wounds
    Riley 6
    Magnus exhaustion lvl 1
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2019-11-10 at 05:22 AM.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    He wonders if chasing the kobolds down this tunnel is where the eggs would be, or behind that door. "Their chieftain is dead." Magnus says, kicking the body. "They're going to have to battle it out with each other to determine who's next in line. They're not worth chasing down - it will be weeks before they're any sort of a threat. That door at the other end of the chamber seems more significant."

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Riley agrees with Magnus, "Won't you come with us to check out those doors, Akiren?"

    Akiren pauses briefly, "I have no interest in some ancient mystery sealed behind doors right now. My path is clear, all the kobolds must die. I'll go alone now, if need be."

    He proceeds deeper into the tunnel and disappears around a corner.

    Riley sighs, "It is why we came here, but I'm staying with you, Magnus. "
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    "Well, as long as we can stay in this larger tunnel, I'll go." Magnus says. "I don't think those doors are going anywhere." He follows Akiren into the tunnel.

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Magnus and Riley follow Akiren's path around the corner, which splits into three tunnels. The largest (5'x5') angles down slightly and to the right, the others (3' high x 2' wide) straight ahead split again after 15'.

    Akiren goes down the larger one and glances back with a nod at Magnus. It continues down steadily, with branching smaller tunnels appearing sporadically to left and right. The ranger stops occasionally to listen or inspect the ground or wall. He finds nothing more than a few old claws scratch marks in dusty areas, and hears only distant echoes of scratching scrambling from some of the side tunnels.

    Magnus roll perception.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Perception: (1d20+6)[19]
    (passive perception is 16)

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Magnus hears the scratching noise, but only once and very faintly.

    After about 5 minutes Riley says, "This tunnel is very different from the others, I doubt the kobolds made it."

    Akiren nods, though he keeps progressing as he says, "Agreed, it's likely dwarven made, leading into old mines I'd wager. While I've seen some signs of kobold passage this way, none seem recent. Still, it might lead to their den, which they use other tunnels they made as passage in and out."

    Riley rolls his eyes, tugs on Magnus' cloak, and sighs softly. When Magnus glances down he sees Riley making a hand gesture near his temple universally understood as meaning not right in the head as he nods at Akiren.

    After half an hour the tunnel opens into a chamber. The wall they enter is 75' long, this tunnel being exactly in the middle. The opposite wall is 25' away. The ceiling is domed, 15' pinnacle. The stone surfaces are all polished smooth. In the left and right wall there is one small tunnel each, 5'x5' and dug straight and smooth. The opposite wall has two tunnels of the same size, also smooth, the left angled slightly down.

    Scattered around are very old remnants of mining tools, all useless. Again there are signs of kobold presence, but nothing recent.

    Dwarven runes are artfully carved above each tunnel. Magnus knows they mean:
    Left (west) coal
    Opposite left (nw) iron
    Opposite right (ne) silver
    Right (east) salt

    Akiren looks around a bit and sighs, "It seems I'll just have to squeeze through the smaller tunnels above and hunt them down. But first, a small rest. You're right Magnus, they won't be a threat for some time."

    Riley sits in the far left corner, "Good idea, the rest at least. I'm not so sure about hunting them down in the smaller tunnels, and they're my size. Both of you will be at great disadvantage there. Since the first tunnel above was the only way in, you could camp out there and make sure none get out of here while you watch the ruins. Magnus and I will check out those doors."

    Akiren shrugs, "Sounds reasonable, for now." He sits in front of the tunnel the group entered, facing the way they came.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2019-11-12 at 05:32 AM.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryndel View Post
    Riley sits in the far left corner, "Good idea, the rest at least. I'm not so sure about hunting them down in the smaller tunnels, and they're my size. Both of you will be at great disadvantage there."
    "That's exactly why I didn't want to chase them down the small tunnels." Magnus says.

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    The trio rest for an hour, then Riley casts Identify ritually on the weapons.

    (Short rest)

    +1 Shortsword (Akiren will take it unless Magnus wants it)
    Repeating Shot Hand Crossbow (Riley wants it)

    Then it's back up the tunnel? Riley and Magnus to the doors? Akiren back up to the entrance.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2019-11-12 at 01:24 PM.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Magnus doesn't want the sword.

    Back up to the chamber with the doors. Is Akiren going all the way back to the entrance, or to the chamber with the doors?

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    All the way back to the entrance. But if you want he'll wait by the maze tunnels while you check out the door.

    Closer inspection reveals nothing more than earlier described. Since there's no hurry Riley will cast Detect Magic as a ritual

    "Definitely has some powerful magic, some of which is completely alien to me, ancient and forgotten."

    History and religion check.

    Riley
    History (1d20+4)[6]
    Religion (1d20+4)[22]
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2019-11-12 at 07:14 PM.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    A smile crosses Magnus' face. "You see a way to open it?"

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Riley snickers, "I think you just push. I could try to dispel the magic first, if you like. It'll be my last spell of that magnitude today, but might be worth it."
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    "Give it a shot then." Magnus says. He stands back about 10 feet to give Riley space to work.

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Still need history and religion check for Magnus.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Sorry - didn't see that.

    History: (1d20+1)[10]
    Religion: (1d20+1)[3]

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Riley gazes again at the doors, "From what I've learned about religions, this eight pointed star is an ancient holy symbol of a primordial chaos god. The name escapes my memory, but I'm certain."

    He casts Dispel Magic, then focuses again on the Detect Magic spell, "Well that got rid of two, but the ancient one's still there. The other one is a powerful abjuration, probably a Symbol spell of some sort."
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2019-11-14 at 04:53 PM.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    "Stand back." Magnus says. Once Riley does so, Magnus goes to the door and reaches up to touch the inlaid symbol on the doors - gingerly - first with one finger, then if nothing happens with his whole hand, just gently running it over the inlaid symbol.

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    "But," Riley exclaims in surprise as he skips back several feet, "are you sure about this?"

    As Magnus touches the symbol, Riley mutters something in undercommon and backs up some more. Nothing happens, though Magnus feels as if even the slightest pressure of a touch moves the doors ever so slightly.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    "No I'm not sure." Magnus says, his hand still on the symbol "But I feel like its calling me."

    He gives the door a shove.

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    The doors open in to reveal a 30' wide, 60' long tunnel with a 40' high arched ceiling. Every surface is smoothly polished dark stone. The opposite end branches off into a Y, each tunnel is 10'x10'.

    Standing at the intersection is a 9' tall, white marble statue shaped as a man dressed in Imperial garments. The left hand holds a scepter across the chest, the right hand is held out straight, palm facing forward.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  22. - Top - End - #142
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Magnus gives Riley a smug grin and waits for the dark gnome to come over to have a look behind the doors. "Whatdya think?"

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Riley steps forward until he's just to the left and behind Magnus, "I think this is the beginning of a whole new adventure. Not sure I'm ready for that just now, kinda low on spells. But if you want to proceed, I'm with you."

    He gazes at the statue and shrugs, "If you meant the statue, it does seem odd. Detect Magic is still on, but range is only 30'. None in range, except the doors."
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    "Ok." Magnus says "We can rest here for a while."

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Riley looks around and shrugs, "Not sure this is the best place to rest, but my magic shelter should protect us. Akiren, are you going to join us?

    He explains what the Tiny Hut spell does.

    Akiren shrugs, "I suppose so."

    Riley casts Tiny Hut as a ritual just outside the doorway.

    OOC: So everyone takes a long rest.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Day 6

    Everyone eats (I've marked off rations eaten. The first few days the ranger/hunter found plenty of food for all) and prepares for the next day. Riley casts Nondetection on everyone.

    Akiren looks around and announces that no kobolds came into this area during our rest. He casts Darkvision on Magnus, then goes through the maze and back out to the entrance tunnel in the ruins.

    Riley casts Detect Magic ritually. He finishes with a mischievous grin and says, "Let's go see what the Imperial statue is all about. The spell lasts up to 10 minutes."
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    "After you, my friend." Magnus says to Riley. He follows Riley into the tunnel.

  28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Riley hesitates a moment, looking up at Magnus curiously. He starts to say something, shrugs and walks in.

    As soon as he enters the room, the scepter is raised above the head of the statue as the tip begins to glow a soft purple. A deep, imperious, male voice calls out, though there's no other movement, "Passage is forbidden by Imperial Law. Any who pass this point will be known thereafter as a criminal throughout the Empire."

    Riley chuckles, "Some of you humans sure have some silly titles. I know something of this Empire," his face turns sour and serious, "ruthless and rigid, but bountiful and beautiful. It's said that it encompasses over half the surface world and is constantly expanding."

    He laughs ruefully, "I'm probably a criminal there anyway. I suspect you would be too, very soon after you got there, if you're not already, lets go."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Since Magnus is the last of his tribe, it could very well be that they were wiped out by the Empire: filthy barbarians! The Empire is always expanding. There are 4 kings ruling the Imperial perimeter with feudal governments, each answerable only to the Emperor, who oversees the ever expanding center of the Empire. So it was likely one of the Kings who actually did it, by Imperial Command.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    Magnus just shrugs. He didn't care anything about the emprire anyway, so whatever...

    He moves forward, keeping an eye on the statue. "There's probably some sort of trap here someplace." he says.

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

    "Possibly," Riley shrugs and advances to the statue, "or just a blow hard trying to frighten the meek. I think this place is older, perhaps much older, than the Empire."

    Investigation check..
    Riley (1d20+4)[16]
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •