New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: How difficult would it be to live without these devices?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Given that stores can use hear to make bread, I'm assuming that this hypothetical is strictly for personal use only in an otherwise unaffected world.

Though I did also miss that Guinea pig bit. Sorry!
    Oh, then cafeterias would totally be a thing. Communal dining makes sense a lot of the time anyway, if it means hot meals we would ditch eating at home IMO.

No worries!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Humans can and do eat raw meat so I don't see why that's off the table either.
    Say Hello to my Little Friend, Trichinosis.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Say Hello to my Little Friend, Trichinosis.
    One of many parasites we can get from food. So what? You can still eat it.

Plenty of people eat raw meat still.

Earlier in the thread someone talked about salmonella. That's not a given either. Some countries have special eggs you have to buy if needed to be used raw. Other countries have actual food hygiene instead.

And the supposed uncooked foods can also give you diseases and parasites. So again, so what? We can in fact digest raw meat.

The entire original premise of the thread is nonsensical, you can't have bread without heat.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

The entire original premise of the thread is nonsensical, you can't have bread without heat.
    I think a lot of us misunderstood the premise - that doesn't make it nonsensical. Stores, shops, bakeries, restaurants etc. are still allowed heat (and cooling) - you personally aren't allowed any heating or cooling devices.
    You can still buy stuff that has been cooked or frozen.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Two steps ahead of ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Can't make bread without heat, so that's right out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    But it can be bought at a store and kept in an environment without need to be cooled or heated to eat.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    I think a lot of us misunderstood the premise - that doesn't make it nonsensical. Stores, shops, bakeries, restaurants etc. are still allowed heat (and cooling) - you personally aren't allowed any heating or cooling devices.
    So you assume. The OP has actually never come back to clarify or answer any of the "conditions" questions that have been asked.

(Yet this thread lives on!)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Downright impossible. How will I eat anything? If you can't eat then good luck!!!!

These 3 inventions are super important hence why the are in every freaking apartment. At least in most and at least I hope so.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Which a number of posters have concluded means you can just buy your stuff fresh.

The non-sensical part is where it combines stone age foraging, nuts and stuff, with bread of all things. If I can buy and store bread I can buy and store other things from the shop. Like jerky. Or a million pickled things. etc etc etc. Roomtemperature peasoup may not be the tastiest thing but it keeps for years in it's can.

As OP sets it up it makes no sense. Not to mention that they already themselves point out the obvious answer, we have done so for thousands of years. Almost any type of food we ever have eaten has been consumed raw, or preserved without fire and fridges somewhere, somehow. But since the store can do the fire thing that means the amount of foodstuffs multiplies massively.
    Before refridgeration they pack oysters in ice and send it long ways inland with trains e.g.

If you were a poor Roman living in an insulae might not have had a kitchen (not an expert in Roman archaelogy, would think space, fire and storge issues would make it likely not) and would have taken the majority of meals outside somewhere.

The original premise seems more like it started at the desired result and then went backwards.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-10-14 at 02:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

The non-sensical part is where it combines stone age foraging, nuts and stuff, with bread of all things. If I can buy and store bread I can buy and store other things from the shop. Like jerky. Or a million pickled things. etc etc etc. Roomtemperature peasoup may not be the tastiest thing but it keeps for years in it's can.

As OP sets it up it makes no sense. Not to mention that they already themselves point out the obvious answer, we have done so for thousands of years. Almost any type of food we ever have eaten has been consumed raw, or preserved without fire and fridges somewhere, somehow. But since the store can do the fire thing that means the amount of foodstuffs multiplies massively.
    Before refridgeration they pack oysters in ice and send it long ways inland with trains e.g.
    The OP mentioned mostly stuff that wasn't particularly perishable, and leaned cheap. Peanut butter can be stored room temperature for a good long while, cheaper breads tend to last a good long while as well (preservatives are your friend here), cashews can be a bit pricier but will also last approximately forever, etc. That's less stone age foraging and more dense calorie sources with a decent amount of protein that still run cheaper than jerky.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.