The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 126
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Arnoldsberg, 7:37 PM, October 1st, 1921

    You've spent almost five hours pouring over and cleaning up all of the books in Douglas Kimball's study, hoping to discover information. Mary Kimball eventually comes home and the two give you a rather tasty meal of meatloaf while you continue your job. The sun sets in the window and you're still loooking through the study. Thomas pokes his head in now and again to see how everything is going, but you feel like you're barely making any progress. Nothing here hints to what the burglar actually stole or Douglas Kimball's own whereabouts. After all, there are plenty of valuables in this room (glasses, vases and the like), and they've all been untouched. Even more time passes as moonlight shines through the window. You feel weariness wash over you.
    ----

    Would you like to Push the roll and reroll, with the reason for Pushing the roll (you always need a reason) being spending more time in the study, or are you good and you'd rather not risk a failure (where bad things can happen).

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett decides to call it a day, after many unfruitful hours spent searching.
    Last edited by RangerBob0011; 2019-10-11 at 10:00 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Arnoldsberg, 7:17 AM, October 2nd, 1921

    You have just finished a most marvelous breakfast of bacon, toast, and eggs, courtesy of Thomas (who appears to actually be a decent chef himself). As while you're eating, he happens to ask. "So, Everett, did you happen to find anything?" You notice he seems to be more at ease now that you're on the case. As they await your answer both husband and wife lean in closer.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-11 at 11:33 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett frowns, “I’m afraid not. The study is a mess, finding what I’m looking for, and I don’t know what in that case, is nigh impossible.” he pauses to take a bite of food, “If I may ask you some questions. If I could know a little more about Douglas, it should make a substantial difference. What did he do for a living? Did he spend a lot of time somewhere other than his study? Does he have anyone else in town who he was close to?”

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Thomas strokes his chin, while Mary comments. "We really moved in after Douglas went missing, so I'm afraid we don't know too many people, I'm sure you could ask around though." Thomas reinforces Mary's statement with a shrug of his own.
    As you ask about the financial situation of his uncle Thomas grimaces slightly, "I'm a bit ashamed to, well, to admit that much of my money comes from my family. I still make, of course, an honest living, mind you, but I believe, at least I think, that Douglas lived off of my grandfather for most of his life."

    As you're finishing up, as he's mulling over what you said, and idea seems to come to Thomas. "You know, I think my uncle had a journal. I saw him write in it once or twice at family gatherings. I doubt that would be one of the stolen books, but then again, I've never managed to find it... although you might have better luck? It might still be in his study!" He shrugs his shoulders.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    “That would certainly help. I’ll spend some more time looking around.” Everett thanks Mary for the meal and returns to the study to find Douglas’s journal.

    (1d100)[28] Spot Hidden (if needed)

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Startlingly, you lift up the carpet, and you find a key. However, as you lift up the carpet, one of the vases in the room suddenly falls with a CRASH. Immediately Thomas and Mary rush over to see what has happened. They are understanding, but Thomas informs you that your pay will be docked accordingly at the end of your investigation. Nevertheless, you investigate the rest of the room, and discover that one of the masses of books is actually a desk! Surprising nobody said desk contains a lock, you put the key in the lock, etc...

    It's not a distinguished book per se, but unlike literally every single other book in his study, this one does not have a title. It's rather small and appears to be... the journal! Realizing this could contain the answers you seek, you head back to your room to pour over its contents.

    Arnoldsberg, 10:26 AM, October 2nd, 1921

    With a brief skim it seems quite clear that Douglas did not lead a very interesting life, and yet, every book that he read seemed to give him immense pleasure. It was as if he was living out a myriad of interesting lives all at the same time, or at least, that's how he describes it in his journal. Eventually, you reach the end, wherein you find the following two pages (this is slightly metagaming here, but the pertinent information is on the two pages provided).
    Spoiler: Journal Entries
    Show


    If you would like a transcript...
    Spoiler: Successful Language (English) - Own Language Roll
    Show
    August 25th,
    Dear diary, it has been an incredibly frustrating day. It seems like you remain my constant companion throughout these troubled times. Well, you and my other books of course. I am truly uncertain about what would ever happen if I were to somehow leave them. The people of this town have very little if any imagination. They simply exist and go about their monotonous lives, living in insolence. Not only that, but despite this, they nevertheless demand things of me. Even now I am sure that there is going to be some sort of family gathering in merely a few weeks. Nevertheless, I have had the most intriguing experience. I managed to discover something, a creature, unlike any animal known to my fellow men, moving about the cemetery throughout the night while I read. It seemed to pay me no mind, but I saw it slip down the network of tunnels below the cemetery. I cannot help but be astounded and amazed by such a revelation. I must admit, it is simply possible that I have been dreaming, I was reading Bram Stoker’s Dracula, but I think this would be an excellent source for some inspiration for a book.
    Sincerely,
    Douglas Kimball

    August 30th, 1920

    Dear diary. I have been thinking about it, and I am now reaching a decision. There is little here right now, and in all honesty, I feel that I should join with my friends below. I am sorry to say goodbye to these entries, but the demands of society are becoming too much. It is time for me to depart. I never got to finish Dracula… Goodbye.

    Sincerely,
    Douglas Kimball

    You happen to ask Thomas for more information about Douglas' disappearance and you realize that the final entry is dated the day before Douglas vanished.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-12 at 04:22 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Intrigued by Douglas’s claim of sighting a creature in the graveyard, decides to wait until nightfall. In the meantime, he explores the town, asking around to see what its denizens know about Mr. Kimball.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    There are not many houses near the Kimball household (presumably due to its proximity to the cemetery) so you head towards the center of town. It's a short five-minute walk before you begin to meet with people, but the neighbors seem to know rather little. There's nothing concerning suspicious behavior, strange things, and whatnot. Most remember Douglas, but they didn't seem to interact with him too much. One man does recall him to be a "kindly man."
    As you're investigating and talking with people, you notice an elderly old woman strolling by.
    ----

    Please give me a combined Credit Rating and Appearance roll where only one of them must succeed.

    Spoiler: The Roll is Successful for Either
    Show
    The old woman slowly approaches you with a wide smile, "Why hello there, are you asking about Douglas Kimball? Why I might be able to help you. I'm Mrs. O'dell, and it's a pleasure to meet a young gentleman such as yourself." She speaks slowly and carefully, choosing every word with precision and patience.
    Spoiler: The Roll is Successful for Neither
    Show
    The old lady does not seem to like the look of you and thus she hurries off, doing her best to avoid talking to the person whom she perceives as unpresentable. Nevertheless, you happen to find yourself standing in the near center of town, surrounded by all the amenities one would expect (and I described) such as the library, the police station, general store, newspaper, park, etc...
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-12 at 10:45 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    (1d100)[13] Appearance (60)
    (1d100)[76] Credit Rating (20)

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBob0011 View Post
    [roll0] Appearance (60)
    [roll1] Credit Rating (20)
    So the way a combined roll works is that you make One roll and compare it to both skills, so we'd use the 13, which is a success in both Credit Rating and Appearance. Therefore you may open the appropriate spoiler and formulate your next post.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Sounds good, I’ll keep that in mind for later.
    “Why that would be wonderful! I’m sure you’ve heard something of what happened to him, on the terms of his disappearance that is. Thomas didn’t know him very well, and I was looking to meet someone who did, I take it you’re the person to talk to?”

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    She looks off in the distance, knees wobbling slightly as she leans on her cane. "I'm afraid that I wouldn't say that I knew him very well, dearie. He mostly kept to himself. However, on my constitutionals, I'd often see him striding off towards the cemetery with a book in his hand, always a different one. Forever reading he was... didn't he pass away? If you're looking for more information, I think his nephew inherited his house (she doesn't know who "Thomas" is)." She smiles back at you as she finishes.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett gives the old lady a nod and a smile, “Very well, thank you. I’ll be off now, thank you for your time.”
    Everett wanders the town, waiting until right before nightfall to visit the graveyard.
    Last edited by RangerBob0011; 2019-10-12 at 11:46 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    She nods and wanders away.

    Arnoldsberg, 12:20 PM, October 2nd, 1921

    You wander the town, it's rather small but does contain some standard amenities that one would expect such as a park, a police department, a general store, a newspaper, a couple of cafes, a library, a small school, etc... You've been wandering for around an hour or so and you're already quite bored and nightfall is nowhere in sight, what would you like to do?

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett goes to take a look at the newspaper, hopefully some reading to keep himself occupied until the evening.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Arnoldsberg, 12:32 AM, October 2nd, 1921

    As you head into the Arnoldsberg Advertiser you find yourself immediately overwhelmed by the sheer amount of activity going on in the small building. It seems quite clear that things are rather chaotic in this place, and yet being a journalist you realize that in reality rather little is being accomplished. This whole place seems to be rather inefficient. However, as you enter, one of the workers, comes up to you and remarks in one long breath. "Why hello there, I'm Artie Mallory, and I'm afraid that we're a bit busy at the moment and can't handle questions from anyone who doesn't have any journalistic experience, but why don't you come back tomorrow, I'm sure that you'll be able to... ask any questions or do whatever it is you want to do when we're much less busy, thanks, bye!" She then starts to turn away from you in order to resume her work (but said action has not been completed).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-12 at 12:06 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    “Lucky for you, I happen to have journalistic experience. I take it you could use some help. I need something to keep me busy.”

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    She looks a bit surprised, but simply shakes her head and then races off with her mouth "Ah, no, can't have too many more people running around... actually, maybe you could organize the morgue, as it's all out of shape, thanks!" She then dashes off to continue working, leaving you in front of the newspaper's morgue.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett finds a place where he wouldn’t get trampled by bustling journalists and begins sorting through the files. He looks for anything particularly interesting or useful regarding his investigation. Not expecting to find anything, he takes his time sorting.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBob0011 View Post
    Everett finds a place where he wouldn’t get trampled by bustling journalists and begins sorting through the files. He looks for anything particularly interesting or useful regarding his investigation. Not expecting to find anything, he takes his time sorting.
    The morgue is relatively empty, not many people come down here. Also, why would you not expect to find anything? Newspapers, Halls of Records, Libraries, and the like are (like in life) great repositories of information!
    ----

    You make your way down the depths of the Newspaper and venture into the morgue. A massive amount of files of papers in years past are scattered around and while probably organized in some fashion, it is not one that you are used to.
    ----

    Please give me a Library Use roll.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    He’s not expecting to find much concerning the investigation, as in a possible culprit that caused the disappearance. He doesn’t expect it to be a criminal cause. But there is still potential for some interesting stories.

    (1d100)[7] Library Use (50)
    Last edited by RangerBob0011; 2019-10-12 at 12:45 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBob0011 View Post
    He’s not expecting to find much concerning the investigation, as in a possible culprit that caused the disappearance. He doesn’t expect it to be a criminal cause. But there is still potential for some interesting stories.
    I apologize that my facetiousness did not come across effectively, posts are weird that way. Also congratulations, that's an Extreme Success!
    ----

    Arnoldsberg, 12:49 PM, October 2nd, 1921

    It takes almost no time at all, as you soon realize that Artie Mallory's organization system is actually based upon location. Quickly, you try what you can to look for notes on articles concerning the cemetery, when you manage to discover a set of notes, apparently linked to another article (albeit the article is not present).
    Spoiler: Journalist's Notes
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    No worries, I understand. I have succumbed to the same fate many times myself.

    Everett leaves the newly organized morgue on an open surface somewhere inside, not keen on bothering the building’s inhabitants. Somewhat unsatisfied that his task was so easily done, despite the interesting nugget of information, he heads to a cafe to get a bite to eat as well as hopefully learn something more about the town while talking to its denizens.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Arnoldsberg, 1:29 PM, October 2nd, 1921

    You head to a cafe, having a nice lunch and asking around about the town and its locales. Overall you don't gather too much, it appears to be a pretty average town... although a couple people recommend looking into the town's history at the library, that certainly seems like it'd be a good place to start for any interested parties.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett heads to the library to see what he can find out during the wait until nightfall.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    You head into the library, which, while rather small, is still sizable considering the size of this small town. Several townsfolk are milling around, reading books, piling them into a stack, checking some out, and so on and so forth. You then begin delving into the periodicals, other books, whatever you can find about the town, Douglas Kimball, the graveyard, et cetera.

    Spoiler: Successful Library Use Roll
    Show
    Spoiler: Normal Success (not Hard/Extreme)
    Show
    Arnoldsberg, 4:58 PM, October 2nd, 1921
    Spoiler: Hard Success (not Normal/Extreme)
    Show
    Arnoldsberg, 3:20 PM, October 2nd, 1921
    Spoiler: Extreme Success (not Normal/Hard)
    Show
    Arnoldsberg, 1:41 PM, October 2nd, 1921

    You search for some time until eventually, you find it! Although... you're not entirely sure what it is. You were searching for anything and this just... happened to catch your eye, given the title it's quite understandable, but when you had an actual read you realize there might be something there other than simply sensationalist journalism. The date is also of interest.
    Spoiler: Failed Library Use Roll
    Show
    Arnoldsberg, 4:42 PM, October 2nd, 1921

    You've searched and searched and searched, and it's getting a bit late. The crowd has mostly left at this point and it's really just you and a couple of stragglers. They'll probably close up soon, but you still haven't found anything. Nevertheless, you're positive that maybe with a bit more time...
    ----

    You may Push the roll if you so wish. I don't want to do too many layers of spoilers, so if you want to Push the roll, just make the roll and I'll make an appropriate post. Of course, you don't have to push the roll. Feel free to do whatever you want.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    (1d100)[97] Library Use (50)

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    I’ll push the roll, I just have to reroll, right?

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Indeed, that is Pushing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •