The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 126
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Hooo boy...
    (1d100)[44] Listen (40)

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    That's also a Failure
    ----

    You awaken, right as you hear the sound of stone grinding on stone. You grab your lantern and quickly flash it towards the figure as you see the outline of a bald male figure and glasses reflecting off of your light. The figure grasps a stack of books as it is literally lifting up part of a stone door to a mausoleum. You suddenly realize this figure is about to escape... you have one action (because you fumbled the luck and failed the listen), which will probably be you saying something... what is your final statement?
    ----

    Give me a Dexterity roll after you do whatever it is you wish to do.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-15 at 04:13 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    How far away am I from the thief?

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Around... 15 yards or so? That sounds reasonable...

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett panics, thinking the only thing he can do is to make the thief so the same. He swears audibly, “@&$!!! Look out behind you!”

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Please give me a Fast Talk roll. Also don't forget that Dexterity roll I mentioned.

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    (1d100)[50] Dexterity (60)
    (1d100)[84] Fast Talk (40)

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    The figure turns for but a moment, however, its glasses and its gaze return to the task at hand. However, you were fast enough that you think you can maybe say one more phrase, something that would utterly convince it to talk to you...
    ----

    Please give me an Idea (Intelligence) roll.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    (1d100)[52] Idea

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Maybe saying its name could help?

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Should I know what its name is?

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBob0011 View Post
    Should I know what its name is?
    If you know it, you know it, otherwise I'm afraid I cannot help you.

    EDIT: I will note that enough clues have been discovered though...
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-16 at 05:02 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett blinks, taking a few tentative steps forward, “Douglas? Mr. Kimball? Is that you?”

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    The figure moves away from the mausoleum door, as it eventually ends up sitting on a tombstone and pulls out one of the books, seemingly waiting for you. As you approach, it comes fully into view.



    As you then fully see it in its entirety, it sets down its book and says simply: "Let us speak." It is at this moment that you are certain, this... creature, with its rubbery-skin, hoof-like feet, canine features, and terribly sharp claws, is (somehow) without a doubt, Douglas Kimball.
    ----

    Please give me a Sanity roll.

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    (1d100)[90] Sanity (70)

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    That is sadly a failure, which means that Everett has lost 4 sanity, and because you failed the roll, I take an involuntary action for you.
    ----

    Everett seizes up and lets out a sudden, ear-piercing scream as he sees the inhuman creature standing in front of him. This... creature is Douglas Kimball? The man who loved books? The uncle to someone whose house he's staying in, he had a family... how could it be...?

    Eventually, Everett manages to calm himself down, while "Douglas" simply raises an eyebrow during his screams and mental exchange. He simply gives her a moment to gather herself and calm down, only to finish by plainly asking: "Are you done?"

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett takes a few breaths, the sudden panic attack wearing off, “Sorry... sorry...”

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    The creature looks towards you and with a slight sense of curiosity querulously asks... "And who is it who screams and subsequently apologizes profusely at my appearance?" As it speaks its ears appear to move of their own accord... as if they hold a life of their own.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-17 at 03:07 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett wipes the sweat off of his brow, “No, no. The scream. I mean no further offense, but you caught me off guard. My mind is... muddled as we speak. The name’s Everett Clay, I was... hired to find you. You had your nephew worried sick. Not to mention the fact that you took the books, which had him doubly worried.” he speaks, his voice shaky, Douglas’s unusual appearance still slightly unnerving him.

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    The creature makes a rather surprised expression. "Why Thomas noticed that? I had hoped that he would not notice my 'intrusion' into my own dwelling." It then sets down his book and extends a rubbery claw. "But it is splendid to make your acquaintance Mister Clay." It then thinks for a moment. "You know, I've read several scintillating tales of mystery and intrigue. Your chosen pursuit is indeed quite fascinating!"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-18 at 12:32 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    “Thank you! Journalism is my specialty, this here is merely something more... exciting on the side.” Everett returns moreso to his usual demeanor, growing more comfortable with Douglas’s friendliness. “I have a lot of questions for you, Mr. Kimball. First, I believe an explanation might be due, after all of the trouble I went through to get to the bottom of this. That might shave off some of the questions, if you are so inclined to tell me what happened.”

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Once you finish, the creature that was at one point Douglas Kimball, but still might be, straightens its back and clears its throat. "I'm afraid, my good sir, that I was just too tired of my mundane existence among... well... all of you. The only thing which I desired was to be left alone and to read my books." It subsequently looks down at the pile of books which it "stole."
    "I wished for this, and yet no matter what would happen, everyone would be constantly making demands on me, sending me mail, bills, and whatnot." It then looks towards the mausoleum into which it was heading towards. "So I ventured below, and now life is splendid. I need not for money, suits are not required for a dinner, I don't have to meet people, although yes there are 'others' per se, and being around the others is fine at mealtimes, but most importantly... I may read whenever I want." The creature smiles as it makes that last declaration, showing a row of massively sharp knives for teeth, and you get a feeling that if it wanted to, it could most likely bite a chunk of your head off.

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett attempts to hide his discomfort behind a smile, “I see. I apologize for the intrusion upon your privacy, I read a few pages of your journal in attempt to find out what happened to you. You claimed to gave seen creatures in the shadows. Care to explain who these... others are?”

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    It falls silent for a moment. You feel its eyes stare into you, its unearthly glare withering away your soul. "Those with whom I dwell are like me, except they have forsaken whatever primitive connections they forged with the surface. I myself am only here because I have been reading the same books for nearly a year. I had hoped to gather such things without drawing attention, but it seems they were right... there are too many prying eyes in this area." Its stare continues, as you cannot help but feel it is speaking about you.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-18 at 03:50 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett runs his fingers through his hair, glancing up at Douglas pursing his lips, ”How am I to break this to your nephew? I can’t just leave the investigation without resolution.” his gaze wavers with his voice, eyes flickering to and from its unsettling stare.

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    It turns towards the house, appearing to have almost a slight twinge of longing. "He cannot know, nothing can change my mind on this."



    It then turns back towards you, "You know, I've just been weary. I've been... alive for more than half a century, and the only time I felt like I was living when I was reading. The mundane world which my nephew so dutifully lives in, was not intended for me."

    It looks towards the tomb again, "I cannot visit this place anymore. This..." it holds up the books that it... "stole" from itself. "Was my final foray into my, no Thomas' home. It is not mine anymore. The others have said that we must move, too much commotion, too much fuss." Only to turn back towards you, "I am afraid I must now depart. There is much to see out there in the world below, and I think..." It chuckles as it begins to stand up and collect its books. "I believe that I shall author a novel; finally I feel that I have done something in this life worth writing about."

    It then gets to its hooves "It was a pleasure speaking with you, Mister Clay, and although your devotion to humans, including my nephew is admirable. I'm afraid it is something that I was never able to muster." He slowly begins to walk off, before noting: "As much as you would like to, I beg of you, do not tell him that I am still alive. It is better if he thinks me dead and gone. If he is concerned about the books, simply say that there was a burglar who returned, but you scared him off, I doubt he'd notice the absence of these additional tomes." It shakes the books as evidence. "It is for the best, I assure you."

    It then begins clopping off towards the tomb.

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett stands and waits, silent, until Douglas leaves to turn back to Thomas’s home.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    You look towards Douglas, or at least, what was Douglas, if it is not him anymore, as he departs (huh, pronoun change). He clops over towards the tomb, laden down by his books, and then creeps inside the mausoleum. A few brief moments of silence pass until you hear a heavy THOOM, the sound of rock falling on rock, from within. Neither Douglas, nor what he called "The Others" shall be returning anytime soon.

    With an utterly confused mind, you mull over the events that just occurred as you walk towards the Kimball residence. A man, an absolutely normal man, has become a... creature, that lives below the surface of the earth and looks like... that? This alone should be impossible, but the facts are plain to see, and a conclusion must be made. There are other creatures on this earth... you are not alone.
    ----

    With the truth of the situation, albeit, the unpleasant truth, you lose 4 more sanity points (sorry I'm rolling really well for these sanity losses). However, this truth also gives you more insight to the world at large (as instead of reading an ancient grimoire about strange mythos creatures you’ve basically talked with one), granting you 3 points in the Cthulhu Mythos skill (this also decreases your feasible maximum sanity down to 96).
    ----

    You arrive at the home, weary from the tumultuous experience your mind has just undergone... will you ever be the same again?

    Arnoldsberg, 8:29 AM, October 3rd, 1921

    You hear the sound of the upstairs door opening as the words of Douglas, or whatever it was, play in your head like a radio jingle. As you stumble into the dining room, you see Mary and Thomas look up with your arrival. Mary looks at your rather bedraggled condition and notes, "I see someone didn't sleep well last night." Meanwhile, Thomas looks at you.

    His eyes implore you, with every ounce of his being, hoping that you've uncovered something, something that will put his mind at rest, to give him hope that his life is not as crazy as he thinks. Of course, will the truth give him that solace? Your reverie is abruptly halted as Thomas asks, simply, and quite plainly: "Well, did you find anything?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-19 at 01:02 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Everett sighs, using Douglas’s lie, “I found the thief, he was just a common burglar, I don’t know why he wanted the books, but he won’t be coming back, I’m sure of it. As for your uncle, I’m afraid he might be dead, this burglar was also a kidnapper. He must have known Douglas in their earlier years. I never got to ask him exactly what happened. Either way, I don’t imagine you’ll ever see him again. I’m sorry...”

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase IC

    Thomas looks down, hie eyes full of grief. However, clearly a lot of the stress and tension from his fear of the home intrusion has also departed. "So my uncle... I thought... maybe..." His wife holds his shoulders. "I'm sorry to have involved you in all of this. But, it seems like you've solved everything, even recovering some of my uncle's writings..." He then fishes something out of his pocket. "Here, you've earned it. It's a bit less than expected... to cover the damages to the vase, of course, but still... Thank you." He hands you a mixed amount of bills equaling up to around $5.

    Mary then looks at you as well. "You've brought my husband and I some much-needed solace. We can finally, as a family, grieve my uncle-in-law's passing. Thank you so much. If there's anything else we can do for you, just let us know." However, right as she finishes, she suddenly realizes something, "My, the coach to Arkham I believe leaves at nine! Here, this should be enough to cover the return trip. Safe travels!" She hands you a dollar give or take, enough for the coach ride.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •