The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default RangerBob's Paper Chase OOC

Greetings RangerBob, and welcome back to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you shall take on the role of an intrepid Investigator of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now that you've understood the basic rules and themeatic aspects of the game, having played the introductory adventure. Prepare to journey onto your first freeform scenario -- Paper Chase! This is a mystery set in 1921 where you are the main character. For the purposes of guiding you, I may very rarely make small notes at the bottom of my posts, but these will be far more rare than before, so I hope you're prepared to think for yourself!

Anyway, without further ado, tuck yourself in, grab a bowl of popcorn, and join the In-Character!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: RangerBob's Paper Chase OOC

In order to roll, you do [woll]1d100[/woll], but r's instead of w's.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I realized that I accidentally messed up and thought that your 28 spot hidden was actually a 23. Therefore the following post has been edited (check the beginning).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now, I have a quick question for you to answer: What emotion best describes Everett? Find one primary emotion he expresses. Try to use a colorful, specific word to describe it. For instance, instead of “angry” you might say “vengeful” or “raging,” or instead of happy you might say “cheerful” or “exalting."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

I forgot to subscribe to this thread, whoops!

Everett is very inquisitive, he doesn’t shy back from asking questions, even those that might be taken the wrong way.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That makes sense. What about instead of himself, what emotion does Everett evoke in others? How do others react to him? Does he impress, scare, calm, excite, or perhaps annoy? Again try to find the most specific term you can. Is this reaction different between his friends and enemies? If so, what is the difference, and why is that difference there?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Hmm... okay.
    He rubs off as being persistent in said questioning, to the point of annoyance or discomfort for others.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I see... now what about what Everett needs the most? If he had everything he needed, why go on an adventure? Most people’s needs are fairly universal, although they can change over time. Common needs are survival, security, companionship, esteem, romance, family, or wisdom. Consider what Everett's starting needs are, and where you want them to be by the end of the semi-campaign. This is not a goal (so it shouldn't be like "He wants to help people"), but something he needs (maybe instead, "He needs to help people so that way he feels validated as a human being" or "He needs to help because he's addicted to the rush he gets from people thanking him" these are two wildly different needs, but they emerge from the same initial goal). For example, someone might start off with a basic need for physical security, but then that expands into companionship and security in one's relationships, etc...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

After telling and reading stories of others through the newspaper, he wants to be a part of those stories and feel involved in the events of this world.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    This is not a goal, so it shouldn't be like "He wants to help people," but something he needs. Maybe instead, "He needs to help people so that way he feels validated as a human being" or "He needs to help because he's addicted to the rush he gets from people thanking him" these are two wildly different needs, but they emerge from the same initial goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBob0011 View Post
    After telling and reading stories of others through the newspaper, he wants to be a part of those stories and feel involved in the events of this world.
    I just wanted to requote certain pertinent aspects of my post. You're discussing what Everett's goal is. However, consider why that is the case. Change the want to need and then describe why that need is so great. Is it due to the fact that he needs to feel significant so he must involve himself? Alternatively, does he need to be a part of the stories so that way he can understand the world at large?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-21 at 04:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

He needs to feel involved in the society in which he has written and heard stories about, for a feeling of importance and involvement.

Is that better?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, that works a bit better. Do you see what the difference is, though?

Nevertheless, now it's time to cover the aforementioned goal. You already listed something that Everett needs, but is that his actual goal? His goal should be the principle, underlying motivation for everything he thinks, says, and does. If he was lying on the brink of death, what makes him cling to life? What could Everett lose that he would consider worse than death? This goal is often broad, and sometimes unachievable. Whatever the nature of the goal, it should be something he could strive for his entire life. The best goals are ones that can be threatened, as they will help create more compelling adventures. Ideas include justice, revenge, protecting loved ones, redeeming one’s self, or gaining some kind of power. When you think of something, ask yourself “why?” to make sure it isn’t because of some larger, more important goal.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-21 at 10:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Everett hopes to one day see his own adventures and escapades published in renowned newspapers and be a part of the stories that he covers.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nice! I like it! Ok, now, for the final question... How does Everett believe this goal can be accomplished? This method to achieving the goal can sometimes be insubstantial. Everett's methods should be strongly tied to beliefs (or lack of beliefs), and primarily be a decision of lifestyle. A character bent on revenge might consider perfecting a fighting discipline, while a character devoted to a cause might consider a religious or philosophical doctrine.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Everett seeks to do this by doing the one think he knows best, crime. And by that he means investigating it, not... you know, committing crime.

Let me know what you think about this, I don’t know if it’s exactly what you’re looking for or not.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Congratulations! You've done it! You've managed to beat Paper Chase. Your character has understood that there is more to this world than just us humans, and they might not ever be the same. Nevertheless, they will improve, as can be seen here!

If you had fun we can continue into the next adventure: The Haunting. You may also read all of the other forums relating to Paper Chase here at the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained.

I've mentioned this already, but note that The Haunting is actually the first game where there shall be two of you, so I'm going to be pairing you up with OdeMX. You can visit this here!