New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Could the Star Wars prequels work as a musical?

This is an idea I've been mulling over for several months as a fun thought experiment, so I thought I'd post it here to see if anyone has something interesting to say. I think that the Star Wars prequel era could work really well as a musical; more specifically, I think that a musical comprising of some of the most important Clone Wars episodes combined with Revenge of the Sith could tell the story of Anakin's fall in a unique way, and what better way to flesh out a character than through music? Think about it: you could have your your sad songs, your love songs, and even your fight scenes could be in the form of dance numbers. Am I crazy, or does anyone else think this is a good idea? If so, what would you like to include in your imaginary musical?
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Could the Star Wars prequels work as a musical?

The William Shakespeare's Star Wars novels have musical numbers in - but not as many as full-blown musicals do. Those might qualify as musical-ish.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The William Shakespeare's Star Wars novels have musical numbers in - but not as many as full-blown musicals do. Those might qualify as musical-ish.
    I knew about those books, but I haven’t ever read them. I didn’t know they included musical numbers. Still, I’m thinking more of full-blown, Broadway-esque musical.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    I knew about those books, but I haven’t ever read them. I didn’t know they included musical numbers. Still, I’m thinking more of full-blown, Broadway-esque musical.
    I think a more Blues Brothers - style musical would fit it better.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, the idea at least sounds delightfully silly, I'd probably watch it.

Anyway, looks like someone had similar thoughts.

Last edited by Majin; 2019-10-08 at 03:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Anything in particular you would love to see? Personally, I want tap-dancing clones.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

The overall story of the Prequels is not too far from White's The Once and Future King - or that was the intent, at least - which itself was obviously made into the musical Camelot.

Lots of successful musicals have had fairly underwhelming stories underlying them if you actually look at them as written, it's the overall execution of the music aspect that tends to draw people in.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hah! That would be hilarious and super fun! I'd honestly pay to watch musical remakes of the prequel trilogy (as long as it is self-aware enough to not take itself too seriously)! I can even imagine some of them!

Besides... Whatever they do, it can't get any worse than TLJ, so there's no way but up!
    Homebrew Stuff:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I actually think they could work as a serious musical as well, not just a parody. It could be like, I don’t know, a Star Wars version of Wicked.

The costumes and sets would be incredibly expensive, but you could work in some amazing special effects.

...I want this to be a thing so bad.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can we get Tim Curry in drag?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Can we get Tim Curry in drag?
    ...Sure? I mean, why not? What part would he be playing, though? Also, related to Star Wars and music: did you know that there used to be something called Hyperspace Hoopla during Star Wars Weekends? I discovered it awhile back and laughed my head off; it's just good, silly fun, and there's a dance-off. Here's the link to the final one in 2013. Watch it if you're ever having a bad day. It's really stupid, but in the best possible way.

12. - Top - End - #12

...Sure? I mean, why not? What part would he be playing, though?
    Palpatine, and this is how he should execute Order 66.

And this is how Mace Windu should die.

And can we replace all mentions of "I hate sand," with this?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Obligatory link to the Simpsons Guys 'n Dolls.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Obligatory link to the Simpsons Guys 'n Dolls.
    That's still a better depiction of Luke Skywalker than the one in the Last Jedi.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Overture: "The Saga Begins" by Weird Al.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Anything in particular you would love to see? Personally, I want tap-dancing clones.
    Chorus lines of clone troopers high-kicking towards the enemy
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Even Victor Hugo works as a musical, and he's horrible.