The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default [5e] Forgotten Realms campaign (CLOSED TO NEW INTEREST) - Beginner friendly

Looking for 3 - 5 players for a long term (or as long term as the group feels like) campaign set in Faerun, using several official 5e campaigns.

I've been GMing for a few years, 5e specifically since like 2015 or 2016. Trying to get a play by post game started since my schedule just doesn't work well for time specific meet-ups.

EDIT: Okay this got a lot more replies than I was expecting! I'll see about getting through all the comments over the afternoon, though I might only get to it tonight.

EDIT II:

Okay just so I can gauge player interest and character spread, I'd appreciate if everyone could answer the following questions before Sunday:

Character
    -Name:
    -Race:
    -Class:
    - 1 - 3 backgrounds:
    -Where do they come from?
    -What brought them to the Sword Coast; ideally Neverwinter?

Player
    -Experience with 5e (none required, just so I know and dont jump a ton of rules stuff on you from the start):
    -Interest in combat and/or RP:
    -Interest in XP vs Milestone levelling:
    -Have you played through any of the listed modules before? If so, would you be interested in playing through them again?:

Spoiler: Details
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Dungeons & Dragons 5th editioin

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Standard 5e, forgotten realms setting using several official books published by wotc (Mines of Phandelver, Storm King's Thunder, Dragon of Icespire Peak, Tales from the Yawning Portal)

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    3 - 5

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Probably a combination of roll20 and discord, but I'm open to other options.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 1

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Regular starting wealth & equipment (background + class; you can roll for gp instead of taking the class equipment)

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Anything from officially published material is fine. UA & Homebrew is probably fine too, just send it my way so I can take a look first.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Almost anything from officially published material; exceptions being races from GGtR, and Shadar-kai and Gith from MTF. Homebrew or UA is case specific.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    If all players agree beforehand, rolling (4d6b3 six times), with the option of point buy if you get bad rolls. Roll class die for HP, re-rolling 1s.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Not explicitly, but I encourage you to think about where your character stands.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Multiclassing is fine, following the PHB rules.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Players will roll their characters' dice, I'll roll the rest. If for any reason I roll a die for the characters, I'll make it visible to all players.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    ·Downing a potion is a bonus action
    ·Invisibility gives advantage on Stealth
    ·Heavy Armour gives disadvantage on Athletics made to swim

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Encouraged, but not required beyond the most basic details. Keep in mind the region the game takes place in; if you're not familiar with the setting, feel free to ask.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Decent amount of combat, some roleplaying (might increase or decrease in response to how the players are feeling about it). Barely any puzzles, or none.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Player's Handbook, Dungeonmaster's Guide, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Elemental Evil player companion, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica.
    Last edited by BobMacBobson; 2019-10-14 at 11:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Forgotten Realms campaign - Looking for players - Beginner friendly

I will need to brush up on my FR lore, but yeah I'm interested.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Forgotten Realms campaign - Looking for players - Beginner friendly

What about any of the Plane Shift supplements that Wizards of the Coast put out?
    ~There is nothing more tragic than when a loving family is torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wolves.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I love Forgotten Realms, I am sure I could come up with something. Would there be any specific theme, region or setting we want to focus on?

5. - Top - End - #5

Just to get my rolls out of the way.

(4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    ~There is nothing more tragic than when a loving family is torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wolves.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I much prefer point buy for consistency between players, but I may as well roll;

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[7]

Annnnd that's why I hate rolling ...
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-10-08 at 08:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

They weren't all bad. You could view it as a RP challenge... or ask the DM for a second chance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd rather RP a character I create, than a character dice dictate. That's why I prefer point buy, lol.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I would be interested in this

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[11]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Why not roll some bones?

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: yoro
    Show
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[6]
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    That was a lot of awesome backstabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

12. - Top - End - #12

Jonathan Scarlet-Cap

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Jonathan never knew his parents. In fact, he never knew any halfling as he grew up. He was an infant foundling left at at the Bright Helm Tavern. The barkeep and his wife raised Jonathan as their own. When he was old enough, they had him help serving the patrons of the tavern.

The Bright Helm Tavern was a popular watering hole for aged and retired adventurers. They were delighted by the young halfling serving them and told him many tales of their exploits. These stories were typically embellished or sanitized for the young halfling, so Jonathan got an unrealistic idea of what the adventuring life was like.

A tad naive, Jonathan was convinced that adventuring was his future. When he came of age, he kissed his foster parents goodbye and left his only home to find his destiny helping the common people who needed a hero to come to their rescue.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

(4d6b3)[17](4d6b3)[17](4d6b3)[15](4d6b3)[9](4d6b3)[12](4d6b3)[11]

Well hot damn, that's quite a set.
    Last edited by Rokku; 2019-10-08 at 10:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Expressing Interest

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by radikalskippy
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    *ahem* *picks up megaphone*
    Attention everyone! Mal absolutly rocks!

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...alpromteal.png

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd like to try this. I've been avoiding 5e partly because I know little about the material that's available now ... not a problem in a beginner-friendly game.

Spoiler: dice dice dice
    Show
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Just gonna take a sec and see if the luck gods shine on me today:

(4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[10]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Rolling for trinket (d100)[26] and starting gold (5d4)[16] * 10

I'd like to use mariner fighting style, brute fighter archetype (once we get that far), Brawny skill feat, and basically an inverse of the City Watch background in SCAG -- I'd be more welcome among lowlifes than at the watch station. Does that all look okay?

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm fiddling with a Hexblade Warlock - since I start with martial weapon and medium armor proficiency, can I switch up my starting gear a bit? As precedent, Clerics who get heavy armor prof get the option of heavy armor from their starting gear.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

When you say the game will be run on roll20 and Discord as a PbP, how will that work? I assume the roll20 will be used for dice rolls primarily, plus maybe combat maps and the actual IC posts will be done via discord?
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Rolling
    Spoiler
    Show

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[8]

EDIT: Soooooooo...what was the point buy option?
    Last edited by Ophiuchus; 2019-10-09 at 04:20 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Let's Roll
    Show
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    I will need to brush up on my FR lore, but yeah I'm interested.
    No worries, the modules aren't super lore intensive. There's not gonna be a test on the history of the war of the silver marches or anything like that; and I'll provide maps of the general area.

Quote Originally Posted by Justicar View Post
    What about any of the Plane Shift supplements that Wizards of the Coast put out?
    Depends on what exactly you want from those; the goblin variants are fine, I'd have to take a look at the elf and merfolk variants. Stuff like kor and vampires are a no, sorry :(

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    I love Forgotten Realms, I am sure I could come up with something. Would there be any specific theme, region or setting we want to focus on?
    Northern Sword Coast ~ Silver Marches. Icewind dale is the furthest north, Waterdeep and some smaller settlements the furthest south, and the Anauroch desert the furthest east.

I much prefer point buy for consistency between players, but I may as well roll;

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Annnnd that's why I hate rolling ...
    Starting with a +4 / +5 in an attribute isn't that bad, I'd say! But of course it's up to you to keep or drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Rolling for trinket [roll0] and starting gold [roll1] * 10

I'd like to use mariner fighting style, brute fighter archetype (once we get that far), Brawny skill feat, and basically an inverse of the City Watch background in SCAG -- I'd be more welcome among lowlifes than at the watch station. Does that all look okay?
    Fighting style and feat are great! I'm a bit worried about the brute archetype, but you don't know if something's broke until you try it, so you're golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    I'm fiddling with a Hexblade Warlock - since I start with martial weapon and medium armor proficiency, can I switch up my starting gear a bit? As precedent, Clerics who get heavy armor prof get the option of heavy armor from their starting gear.
    Would you be fine with the following?
    ·(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts, (b) any simple weapon, (c) a morningstar, or a rapier, or a longsword (if proficient)
    ·(a) a component pouch or (b) an arcane focus
    ·(a) a scholar’s pack or (b) a dungeoneer’s pack
    ·(a) leather armor or (b) scale mail (if proficient)
    ·any simple weapon, and two daggers

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    When you say the game will be run on roll20 and Discord as a PbP, how will that work? I assume the roll20 will be used for dice rolls primarily, plus maybe combat maps and the actual IC posts will be done via discord?
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking; hopefully it works for everyone. I'll keep text to discord, which makes for more comfortable reading & browsing, and the dice rolls, character sheets, and combat maps on roll20.
    Last edited by BobMacBobson; 2019-10-09 at 11:49 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobMacBobson View Post
    Starting with a +4 / +5 in an attribute isn't that bad, I'd say! But of course it's up to you to keep or drop it.
    Likely go Barbarian, will work on something, I can drop Intelligence & Charisma and live the stereotype! Would I be allowed to play as a monster race, perhaps Minotaur or Half Giant, or Half Ogre?
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-10-09 at 01:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Likely go Barbarian, will work on something, I can drop Intelligence & Charisma and live the stereotype! Would I be allowed to play as a monster race, perhaps Minotaur or Half Giant, or Half Ogre?
    Hm, interesting! I don't think half giants exist per-se in the forgotten realm settings, but Firbolg and Goliaths might scratch that particular itch for you? Half-ogre is fine flavour-wise; do you have a link to an UA or homebrew version? Minotaurs do exist but I'd rather avoid borderline-abyssal creatures as PCs.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Would you be fine with the following?
    ·(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts, (b) any simple weapon, (c) a morningstar, or a rapier, or a longsword (if proficient)
    ·(a) a component pouch or (b) an arcane focus
    ·(a) a scholar’s pack or (b) a dungeoneer’s pack
    ·(a) leather armor or (b) scale mail (if proficient)
    ·any simple weapon, and two daggers
    Yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Fighting style and feat are great! I'm a bit worried about the brute archetype, but you don't know if something's broke until you try it, so you're golden.
    Thankya. Don't be too concerned about Brute ... my rolls were lower than the average here, and I'm ignoring most optimization advice aside from "vuman" and "make your attack stat highest".

I have most of a build (not yet a character) here.

Current games list

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Forgotten Realms campaign - Beginner friendly

Hey, I noticed you marked yourself as filled, but since I already rolled can I still get in? I have a Sorcerer under construction right now.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vozen View Post
    Hey, I noticed you marked yourself as filled, but since I already rolled can I still get in? I have a Sorcerer under construction right now.
    Yes. please do! I marked it as filled to avoid further inquiries, since I got over twice the amount of people I asked for interested already. Everyone in this thread up to now will be taken into consideration. I might end up doing two groups, but I don't know if I have that kinda time; either way I'll make a post with the specifics of what I end up doing over the course of the next few days.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I had way too much fun writing this.

Spoiler: background
    Show
    See, my mom 'n dad died when I was eight, they got their throats cut by messin' wit th' wrong drow, an' he took me as loot as a slave an' brought me down t' Skullport, cuz I was pretty good mending sails and nets -- I told him cuz he was gonna kill me too if I didn't make myself useful right th' hell now -- an' then he sold me to Little Jim who wudd'n half bad, really. Little Jim, he was a shipper, he was a gnome, he didn't beat me or nothin', well, not as much as dad had, and he was rich so he did'n mind giving all us better food than th' other dock rats got. I mean, Skullport's scary an' dangerous an' all, but it wudd'n all that bad when y' hold it up side by side with what I'd got before.

An' then Little Jim -- he would'n let nobody call him nothin' else and y' had t' be careful about the T's -- Little Jim needed some mendin' himself and I was the only one who'd take the chance puttin' a needle through 'im, I sewed him up and got him to stop bleedin' fast, and then th' cleric came and she said he woulda died if I had'n helped. So he took me off the -- um, after gettin' my help "cleanin' house" takin' out the jerks 'at betrayed 'im, he took me off th' hard duty an' I got to go back up to the sun-side docks cuz he trusted me. Uh, a little.

And man, did things look different t' me then. Not cuz it changed, some people had moved around but it did'n change much, I just had new EYES. Nothin' like Skullport t' teach ya who's on the up-n-up, I could just see it straight off, 'cept that one time, but that was a fluke, just a one-off. Hooo dog, that Umberlee c-- ... uh, priestess had me goin', but that's what put me on Valkur's side, that priestess bein' so extra-nasty, I don't get how Umberlee still has anydamnbody followin' her. Anyway, so, I got to keep doin' what I'd been doin' all my life except better money now, doin' all the stuff for boats when they ain't sailin' and some when they are -- Did I ever tell ya 'bout when I sailed wit Black Ranger's pirate crew? I did, I was just the cabin boy, yeah I was the boy, I was a late bloomer so nobody knew I 'uz a girl, anyway, I spent a couple years sailin' and wharf-rattin' and I learned t' swim an' climb and th' best way t' stab somebody when y' gotta finish 'em fast, but eventually I started growin' boobs and I knew they would'n, uh, leave me alone, so I got outta there.

My, um, erstwhile employer, Little Jim, he kept me on th' payroll doin' that kinda stuff for a while, but last time I went t' th' middleman t' get my cash I could tell som'n was wrong before I even got in sight of th' warehouse, so I kept away an' I find out next day from a buddy that Little Jim had suddenly got 'bout eight inches littler, ya know what I mean. An' that's why I'm lookin' for work that'll take me outta town f'r a year 'r three doin' somethin' where stabbin' people is a good thing, and I can also patch 'em up again, like I said. Not like a priest can but not bad.

Current games list

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

So after speaking with Bob MacBobson, they have allowed me to play a Minotaur. Largely inspired by the below picture, I am thinking that he was captured and forced to fight in an arena for the pleasure of others. According to the Forgotten Realms wiki, Gladitorial Combat was largely outlawed in civilized City States, however Pashoa Marod el Arhapan of Calimshan still held brutal arenas for sport, until his eventual death.

Spoiler: Aegon Mahl'keen, Conquorer of Calimshamn's Colliseum!
    Show

So my idea is that Aegon Mahl'keen is an escaped Gladiator from the Calimsham Arena's, however, I would love to find a Han Solo to my Chewbacca, ie. someone who helped me escape while in Calimsham, to whom Aegon now owes a life debt. I will likely take the Soldier Background and modify it to suit a Gladiator, or perhaps just stick with Outsider, mechanically I haven't decided. I just figured as a monstrous PC, I should proabably have another player solidly in my corner, so who wants a scary barbarian who owes them a life debt?