The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Forgotten Realms campaign - Beginner friendly

Aw, man, I like tying together backstories, but I just wrote a pile of stuff that places me firmly in Waterdeep. ... hm ... If nobody else takes you up on it, I'll work in another paragraph about a caravan or shipment to Calimport. My character would definitely have some motivation to help you out of slavery if it didn't mean sticking her own neck too far out. And the interplay could be fun, where she keeps trying to convince you you don't owe her anymore.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Okay just so I can gauge player interest and character spread, I'd appreciate if everyone could answer the following questions before Sunday:

Character
    -Name:
    -Race:
    -Class:
    - 1 - 3 backgrounds:
    -Where do they come from?
    -What brought them to the Sword Coast; ideally Neverwinter?

Player
    -Experience with 5e (none required, just so I know and dont jump a ton of rules stuff on you from the start):
    -Interest in combat and/or RP:
    -Interest in XP vs Milestone levelling:
    -Have you played through any of the listed modules before? If so, would you be interested in playing through them again?:
    Last edited by BobMacBobson; 2019-10-10 at 12:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Character
    -Name: Kalyan 'Slab' of the Thunderbeast
    -Race: Earth Genasi
    -Class: Druid
    - 1 - 3 backgrounds:
    • Uthgardt Tribe Member

-Where do they come from? Kalyan's tribe resided in Grunwald, a tiny village in the Lurkwood.
    -What brought them to the Sword Coast; ideally Neverwinter? The leading shaman of our tribe was granted a vision of a disaster, and my role in preventing it. I was sent on a journey of self-improvement so I could become strong enough to head off the pending catastrophe. I was told to seek work in the grand cities of stone; where opportunities to slay great beasts and challenge mighty foes could be found in any inn or tavern.

Player
    -Experience with 5e (none required, just so I know and dont jump a ton of rules stuff on you from the start): 2 years of IRL play
    -Interest in combat and/or RP: 60% RP, 40% combat
    -Interest in XP vs Milestone levelling: Milestone preferred
    -Have you played through any of the listed modules before? If so, would you be interested in playing through them again?: None
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    So after speaking with Bob MacBobson, they have allowed me to play a Minotaur. Largely inspired by the below picture, I am thinking that he was captured and forced to fight in an arena for the pleasure of others. According to the Forgotten Realms wiki, Gladitorial Combat was largely outlawed in civilized City States, however Pashoa Marod el Arhapan of Calimshan still held brutal arenas for sport, until his eventual death.

Spoiler: Aegon Mahl'keen, Conquorer of Calimshamn's Colliseum!
    Show

So my idea is that Aegon Mahl'keen is an escaped Gladiator from the Calimsham Arena's, however, I would love to find a Han Solo to my Chewbacca, ie. someone who helped me escape while in Calimsham, to whom Aegon now owes a life debt. I will likely take the Soldier Background and modify it to suit a Gladiator, or perhaps just stick with Outsider, mechanically I haven't decided. I just figured as a monstrous PC, I should proabably have another player solidly in my corner, so who wants a scary barbarian who owes them a life debt?
    Soldier, Mercenary Veteran (from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide), and Outsider all work great. You could also go with Far Traveller (from SCAG) if you really wanna lean into his Calimsham origins. And there's actually a Gladiator variant for Entertainer in the PHB as well!

Quote Originally Posted by WhismurWanders View Post
    Character
    -Name: Kalyan 'Slab' of the Thunderbeast
    -Race: Earth Genasi
    -Class: Druid
    - 1 - 3 backgrounds:
    • Uthgardt Tribe Member

-Where do they come from? Kalyan's tribe resided in Grunwald, a tiny village in the Lurkwood.
    -What brought them to the Sword Coast; ideally Neverwinter? The leading shaman of our tribe was granted a vision of a disaster, and my role in preventing it. I was sent on a journey of self-improvement so I could become strong enough to head off the pending catastrophe. I was told to seek work in the grand cities of stone; where opportunities to slay great beasts and challenge mighty foes could be found in any inn or tavern.

Player
    -Experience with 5e (none required, just so I know and dont jump a ton of rules stuff on you from the start): 2 years of IRL play
    -Interest in combat and/or RP: 60% RP, 40% combat
    -Interest in XP vs Milestone levelling: Milestone preferred
    -Have you played through any of the listed modules before? If so, would you be interested in playing through them again?: None
    Uthgard tribe member works great with some stuff the party might encounter later into the campaign! The uthgard barbarians actually have their own language (bothii); if you want to you could switch out any of your tool or language proficiencies for bothii language (primordial, orcish, woodcarvers' tools, or even herbalism kit). It's up to you!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobMacBobson View Post
    Uthgard tribe member works great with some stuff the party might encounter later into the campaign! The uthgard barbarians actually have their own language (bothii); if you want to you could switch out any of your tool or language proficiencies for bothii language (primordial, orcish, woodcarvers' tools, or even herbalism kit). It's up to you!
    I'll swap out Orcish then, since that's the language I chose specifically to fit with the background.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Character
    -Name: Bertha, or Bertie, or Bert
    -Race: human
    -Class: fighter
    - 1 - 3 backgrounds: Mechanically, a homebrewed "Wharf Rat". In very broad story terms, she's been a slave and has had lots of experience with nautical stuff.
    -Where do they come from? Born and raised in Waterdeep (mostly Harbor and Skullport)
    -What brought them to the Sword Coast; ideally Neverwinter? Being associated with one criminal boss isn't good for your health when another criminal boss performs a "hostile takeover", so she skipped town for a while. Or maybe for good, who knows when and where opportunity will knock?

Player
    -Experience with 5e: Limited but not zero. I'm currently in 2e, 3.X and 4e games, so I'm already accustomed to double-checking rules before I post. I don't even have passing familiarity with material from the most recent three books but that doesn't look like a problem, especially for a non-caster.
    -Interest in combat and/or RP: Yes and yes. I love tactical combat and 'pushing buttons' on the character sheet, but I don't expect that to be the bulk of 5e play.
    -Interest in XP vs Milestone levelling: Strong preference for milestone.
    -Have you played through any of the listed modules before? Nope. Matter of fact, as far as I know I've only been involved in two modules ever (Shackled City and Tearing of the Weave).

Quote Originally Posted by BobMacBobson View Post
    The uthgard barbarians actually have their own language (bothii) ...
    Got any language recommendations for a Waterdhavian low-life?
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-10-12 at 09:00 AM.

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Character
    Got any language recommendations for a Waterdhavian low-life?
    She's from Skullport, right? How about Undercommon?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Forgotten Realms campaign (CLOSED TO NEW INTEREST) - Beginner friendly

Makes sense to me!

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Forgotten Realms campaign (CLOSED TO NEW INTEREST) - Beginner friendly

Character
    -Name: Jonathan Scarlet-Cap
    -Race: Halfling
    -Class: Fighter
    - 1 - 3 backgrounds: Folk Hero.
    -Where do they come from? A small tavern called the Bright Helm. It can be literally placed anywhere, so I will leave it up to you.
    -What brought them to the Sword Coast; ideally Neverwinter? He is out to find adventure, wherever it may take him.

Player
    -Experience with 5e: I have been RPing for 25 years starting with AD&D and then branching out into a myriad of different games over the years.
    -Interest in combat and/or RP: I enjoy doing both. So I can swing either way.
    -Interest in XP vs Milestone levelling: In PbP, milestone tends to work better.
    -Have you played through any of the listed modules before? No, neither I nor the GMs I have played with in the past typically used modules, but I am open to anything.
    ~There is nothing more tragic than when a loving family is torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wolves.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Post Re: [5e] Forgotten Realms campaign - Beginner friendly

Character
    -Name: Allisa
    -Race: Half-Elf
    -Class: Sorcerer (Red Draconic Bloodline)
    - 1 - 3 backgrounds: Courtier
    -Where do they come from? Born and raised in Waterdeep
    -What brought them to the Sword Coast; ideally Neverwinter? Already living in Sword Cost, she came to Neverwinter to deliver a message of middling importance. She is taking time off from being a Courtier after this to look for a chance to learn to maser her emerging draconic bloodline.

Player
    -Experience with 5e: Several months of weekly games under my belt. Enough to know most of the rules but not enough to be a pro.
    -Interest in combat and/or RP: 60/40 split in interest favoring combat.
    -Interest in XP vs Milestone levelling: XP preferred but milestone acceptable.
    -Have you played through any of the listed modules before? If so, would you be interested in playing through them again?: I have not played through the listed modules and am more than interested in running through them.
    Last edited by Vozen; 2019-10-11 at 02:29 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Character
    -Name: Mahl'keen the Unchained
    -Race: Minotaur
    -Class: Barbarian
    - 1 - 3 backgrounds: Outsider [Escaped Calimshan Gladiator]
    -Where do they come from? Mahl'keen only has vauge memories of his clan, they were killed, enslaved, when he was captured. Sold into slavery he lived his life by spilling blood on the sands of the Calimshan Colliseum.
    -What brought them to the Sword Coast; ideally Neverwinter? On his escape he journeyed North, his race made him easy to locate for his former master's, by protecting caravan's headed north.

Player
    -Experience with 5e (none required, just so I know and dont jump a ton of rules stuff on you from the start): Moderate, reading the rules, haven't played much other than the occasional short lived PbP game
    -Interest in combat and/or RP: I enjoy combat, however, RP is interesting for character growth and party interactions.
    -Interest in XP vs Milestone levelling: Either or, Milestone seems better for PbP format
    -Have you played through any of the listed modules before? If so, would you be interested in playing through them again?:
    Mines of Phandelver, played about 20% of the 1st scenario, listened to a podcast that played through it to learn the rules. I'm old enough to not metagame, so I wouldn't bring that knowledge with me, and willing to play through whatever.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Character
    -Name: Yannika Winterborn
    -Race: Half-Elf
    -Class: Warlock
    - Background: Urban Bounty Hunter
    -Where do they come from? Right here in Neverwinter..
    -What brought them to the Sword Coast; ideally Neverwinter? She grew up here! She was around when the place was a ruin and watched it be built back up into what it was today. When the Pale Lady visited her in her dreams and offered her the White Blade to help the city, how could she say no?

Player
    -Experience with 5e (none required, just so I know and dont jump a ton of rules stuff on you from the start): I bought the PHB at Gencon 2014 when it was released and I've played it plenty.
    -Interest in combat and/or RP: Yes.
    -Interest in XP vs Milestone levelling: Milestone.
    -Have you played through any of the listed modules before? If so, would you be interested in playing through them again?: Haven't played through any of them.
    Last edited by Rokku; 2019-10-13 at 12:49 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

So... we have a Druid, a Warlock, a Sorcerer, a Barbarian and two fighters (one a Defender and the other a DPS). Not much in the way of healing, but a high damage output.
    ~There is nothing more tragic than when a loving family is torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wolves.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justicar View Post
    Not much in the way of healing, but a high damage output.
    I (the druid) have the usual tools of Healing Word and Cure Wounds. I'm currently planning on going Circle of the Land, so I should be able to be a bit more generous with spell slots on those lines.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by WhismurWanders View Post
    I (the druid) have the usual tools of Healing Word and Cure Wounds. I'm currently planning on going Circle of the Land, so I should be able to be a bit more generous with spell slots on those lines.
    Yeah, I was hoping you were more of the healing type of druid opposed to the Control or Wild-Shape types. It will help a lot from the looks of it.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

All in all I'd say you're looking pretty good; I've DMed for parties of only arcane casters, so when there's a healer and someone who can take a hit I'm already surprized.

Is everyone fine with running the game over discord + using roll20 for rolls, combat maps, and sheets? I'll start setting up the server tomorrow.

17. - Top - End - #47

I have never used Discord before, so this should be interesting. I can't remember; have we discussed days/times yet?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

I would prefer a PbP format, even over discord, life is busy enough that I don't always have time to set aside a couple hours for an Roll20 session.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Oh it's deffinetly going to be pbp; I'm in a completely different timezone from most of you and I'm out for most of the day on top of that. I just prefer having things on discord to organize stuff in channels; I'm on my phone most of the time and gitp isn't the most comfortable to navigate on mobile. So the text posts + ooc talk would be on discord, and roll20 would basically serve as a roll, map, and character sheet repository.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Go ahead and make the server then my friend! We could even make a Character channel and pin Mythweaver sheets there so they are easily accessible through mobile.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

https://discord.gg/vSZGsXY

Okay, here's the link to the discord server. We've got a total of six players; please say what your username on here is in the ooc channel so we don't get confused (I've also set the link to not expire, so hypothetically someone could just randomly join the server. Doub that's gonna be a problem but you never know). The link to the roll20 game is in the ooc channel. Once everyone's joined in we can start the game.

Anyone that has character art for their characters feel free to send it my way on here or over discord so I can set up the tokens.