The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Thufir's Third Random Banter #224

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    To be fair, I was using it in the looser 'assumption the heterosexuality is the default' sense. I wasn't trying to tell Bartmanhomer off, just give him a friendly 'don't make assumptions' poke.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    To be fair, I was using it in the looser 'assumption the heterosexuality is the default' sense. I wasn't trying to tell Bartmanhomer off, just give him a friendly 'don't make assumptions' poke.
    I do have a history of assuming something and jumping into the conclusion in this forum. I hope I didn't offend you in any way.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Same, I was trying in a "teach to fish" kind of way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Same thing.
    It's really not. Firstly, as I said, "To normalized behavior between the opposite sex" doesn't mean anything. Try to rephrase that in your own words. How would you describe normalizing behavior between the opposite sex? I certainly couldn't describe what that is supposed to entail, because there's a lot of behavior out there and most of it is already considered normalized.

Secondly, put very simply, heteronormativity means "assuming that a person is heterosexual." Nobody is accusing you of being insensitive, just pointing out that you're thinking a certain way when that way of thinking may not be correct.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-11 at 12:02 PM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Same, I was trying in a "teach to fish" kind of way.

It's really not. Firstly, as I said, "To normalized behavior between the opposite sex" doesn't mean anything. Try to rephrase that in your own words. How would you describe normalizing behavior between the opposite sex? I certainly couldn't describe what that is supposed to entail, because there's a lot of behavior out there and most of it is already considered normalized.

Secondly, put very simply, heteronormativity means "assuming that a person is heterosexual." Nobody is accusing you of being insensitive, just pointing out that you're thinking a certain way when that way of thinking may not be correct.
    I didn't say you were accusing me for anything I was just saying the definition of heteronormativity.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Bugbear in the Playground

I didn't say you were accusing me for anything I was just saying the definition of heteronormativity.
    I think Peelee is more focused on how the defintion you used didn't make sense. Like Peelee, I didn't really understand what "To normalized behavior between the opposite sex" was supposed to mean either.

Maybe I will if I think about for five minutes. That happens sometimes.

On something completely related, it's been pointed out that I have some really gnarly hitchhiker thumbs. How can I use this to my advantage? Aside from hitchhiking across the country.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2019-12-11 at 12:32 PM.
    Iop brain.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    I think Peelee is more focused on how the defintion you used didn't make sense. Like Peelee, I didn't really understand what "To normalized behavior between the opposite sex" was supposed to mean either.

Maybe I will if I think about for five minutes. That happens sometimes.

On something completely related, it's been pointed out that I have some really gnarly hitchhiker thumbs. How can I use this to my advantage? Aside from hitchhiking across the country.
    This Is Google definition not mine.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I've never dated someone who is physically in the area I'm in. Your obstacles matter but are surmountable.

Some people are just more magnetic to others. I've had a bunch of people crush hard on me. Part of it was because my abuse made me a very reserved, "cares for others" sort of person. Part of it was that my abuse made me kind of an emotional slattern. No judgement on these things, just... putting it out there.
    I know the one person who (I'm aware of, at least, given needing neon signs hitting me on the head and all) crushed on me was in part just do to my constant attempts at civility, and also because they had even more emotional issues than I did. It... did not go anywhere, not in the least because she had a kid and... I'm not a kid type of girl. I do always feel guilty, though, because I feel like I was leading her on and whatnot. I know it took me a while to sort out my own feelings and all but... feels bad.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-12-11 at 12:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1388

Is it, though? The grammar is incorrect, so it's very unlikely that googling "heteronormative definition" returned that as the favored result (which usually pulls from Oxford or Merriam-Webster). When I googled that phrase, for example, I got the Oxford definition:
    het∑er∑o∑nor∑ma∑tive

/ˌhedərōˈnŰrmədiv/

adjective

denoting or relating to a world view that promotes heterosexuality as the normal or preferred sexual orientation.
    Did you copy/paste the definition? Or did you rewrite it from what you saw? And if you rewrote it, are you sure you got it correct and didn't misinterpret it?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-11 at 12:49 PM.

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Is it, though? The grammar is incorrect, so it's very unlikely that googling "heteronormative definition" returned that as the favored result (which usually pulls from Oxford or Merriam-Webster). When I googled that phrase, for example, I got the Oxford definition:

Did you copy/paste the definition? Or did you rewrite it from what you saw? And if you rewrote it, are you sure you got it correct and didn't misinterpret it?
    I got the definition from Wikipedia.

10. - Top - End - #1390

I got the definition from Wikipedia.
    Cool. So from Wikipedia, did you copy/paste the definition, or did you rewrite it from what you saw?

I'm not trying to interrogate you here, I'm trying to get you to see why what you said was not the same thing as what someone else said, as well as to try a deeper reading to see if things really make sense as presented. So, the question above: I'm assuming you rewrote the definition, because a search for that phrase in the Wikipedia entry did not find any matches.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Cool. So from Wikipedia, did you copy/paste the definition, or did you rewrite it from what you saw?

I'm not trying to interrogate you here, I'm trying to get you to see why what you said was not the same thing as what someone else said, as well as to try a deeper reading to see if things really make sense as presented. So, the question above: I'm assuming you rewrote the definition, because a search for that phrase in the Wikipedia entry did not find any matches.
    Copy and paste to the best of my ability.

12. - Top - End - #1392

O expect Bartmanhomer is suffering from not putting his quotation in context. For a reference, I was able to untangle it to 'the normalisation of (romantic) behavior as being between two people of opposing aexes', which is kind of the definition I was using anyway but the quote itself was stripped down to the point of meaningless.

Bartmanhomer, as a general rule it is better to use dictionaries as a source for definitions (with Wikipedia giving more detailed explanations). I use Oxford, most Americans use MW, and some Commonwealth countries have other standard dictionaries.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

P.S. *cough* cisnormativity *cough* (okay, it's been a while since that one's come up.) I'd prefer the singular they, although I really don't care enough to correct people 90% of the time.

In other news, I job I'd applied for and had a good shot at getting got pulled earlier this week. Why did I think I had a chance of working somewhere that wouldn't drive me crazy?
    Duly noted. Though I've been trying to pare my references down to neutral in general to avoid assumptions when talking about people in general unless specifically requested.

On the subject of the position that was pulled, do you think you could call and ask if they expect similar position to be available in the near future? I know a friend of mine was all the way through a hiring process for a job, then had the position cancelled because the company didn't have the cashflow to support the position at that time. My friend was put on file for when they expected for things to improve in the New Year.

If the position you applied for has the potential to surface again, being on file as "interested and proactive" may improve your odds the second time around.
    Last edited by Mith; 2019-12-11 at 04:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

O expect Bartmanhomer is suffering from not putting his quotation in context. For a reference, I was able to untangle it to 'the normalisation of (romantic) behaviour as being between two people of opposing axes', which is kind of the definition I was using anyway but the quote itself was stripped down to the point of meaningless.

Bartmanhomer, as a general rule it is better to use dictionaries as a source for definitions (with Wikipedia giving more detailed explanations). I use Oxford, most Americans use MW, and some Commonwealth countries have other standard dictionaries.
    Ok, I'll the lexicon for future references. (a Lexicon is a dictionary.)

15. - Top - End - #1395

Imean, that is technically one of the definitions, but it's mostly used as a person's vocabulary; or, more simply, the set of words that someone knows.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Imean, that is technically one of the definitions, but it's mostly used as a person's vocabulary; or, more simply, the set of words that someone knows.
    It derives from Lexi's Cons, a chain of outlets which sold word definition and pronunciation booster packs in the Nineteenth Century. It turned out there was no definition provided for several important legal terms which was used to defend their manipulating the collectors market. That is why we say someone "owns a large lexicon" today.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #1397

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    It derives from Lexi's Cons, a chain of outlets which sold word definition and pronunciation booster packs in the Nineteenth Century. It turned out there was no definition provided for several important legal terms which was used to defend their manipulating the collectors market. That is why we say someone "owns a large lexicon" today.
    Sounds like Lexi only hired pros.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Sounds like Lexi only hired pros.
    Lexi's Professors they were called. Then they coined the word Professorional which turned into professional.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

So.....people used this word....rarely.

20. - Top - End - #1400

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Duly noted. Though I've been trying to pare my references down to neutral in general to avoid assumptions when talking about people in general unless specifically requested.

On the subject of the position that was pulled, do you think you could call and ask if they expect similar position to be available in the near future? I know a friend of mine was all the way through a hiring process for a job, then had the position cancelled because the company didn't have the cashflow to support the position at that time. My friend was put on file for when they expected for things to improve in the New Year.

If the position you applied for has the potential to surface again, being on file as "interested and proactive" may improve your odds the second time around.
    Thanks. Weirdly I have a friend who's given me permission to use they over their preferred pronouns (partially because I have some trouble seeing them as their preferred gender).

And yeah, I'm in the 'hot' file apparently, and the job might be coming back at the end of January. Still, it's annoying that is only the jobs I have a shot at that do that.

I thought LexiCon was the Alexandra Convention?

Show

21. - Top - End - #1401

I thought LexiCon was the Alexandra Convention?
    You're thinking of the Library of Alexandra Convention. Big comic expo way back when.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Titan in the Playground

Heteronormativity: To normalized behavior between the opposite sex.

This is what I got from Google.
    I am actually confused about how you possibly could have gotten this definition (Which as mentioned means nothing and is also not grammatically correct), because when I google heteronormativity, the two definitions that pop up are

"denoting or relating to a world view that promotes heterosexuality as the normal or preferred sexual orientation."

And

"of, relating to, or based on the attitude that heterosexuality is the only normal and natural expression of sexuality"

On a similar note, with Lexicon, you grabbed a definition that is used much less often.

That doesn't make it wrong, but it's sort of like me spelling 'complete' as 'compleat' instead. The latter is technically still valid, but is an archaic usage that looks like it isn't a word.

No, the fact I'm a Grand Cenobite of the Machine Orthodoxy has absolutely no relevance to the fact I used that word as my example, why do you ask?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2019-12-11 at 07:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1403

You're thinking of the Library of Alexandra Convention. Big comic expo way back when.
    Ah yes, I remember when I met this cute Cleric near the Infernal Scrolls stand. They threw holy water in my face.

Uh, I mean there's no semi-immortal quarter-fiend wizards with a tendency to try to get in priests' pants here. I've heard that they tend to hang out at bars, yeah, not nursing burn wounds in their towers.

On the subject of words that bug me, I dislike singulars as plurals being same. I will not use dice in the singular under any circumstances, and will even sometimes use shep as a singular of sheep. I mainly user the singular they because there's no decent alternative, and getting people to use xe doesn't look professional.

Show

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I am actually confused about how you possibly could have gotten this definition (Which as mentioned means nothing and is also not grammatically correct) because when I google heteronormativity, the two definitions that pop up are

"denoting or relating to a world view that promotes heterosexuality as the normal or preferred sexual orientation."

And

"of, relating to, or based on the attitude that heterosexuality is the only normal and natural expression of sexuality"

On a similar note, with Lexicon, you grabbed a definition that is used much less often.

That doesn't make it wrong, but it's sort of like me spelling 'complete' as 'compleat' instead. The latter is technically still valid but is an archaic usage that looks like it isn't a word.

No, the fact I'm a Grand Cenobite of the Machine Orthodoxy has absolutely no relevance to the fact I used that word as my example, why do you ask?
    I have already explained this to everybody multiple times and I'm tired of repeating myself. I just want the whole thing to drop it ok.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-12-11 at 07:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

I have already explain this to everybody multiple times and I'm tired of repeating myself. I just want the whole thing to drop it ok.
    Would you just share where you got your definition of heteronormativity from? Like an actyal link to the source or something? Everybody seems to be curious.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Would you just share where you got your definition of heteronormativity from? Like an actyal link to the source or something? Everybody seems to be curious.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/heteronormativity

This is where I got this definition. If anybody isn't satisfied about it then I'm officially done with this conversation.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-12-11 at 09:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1407

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/heteronormativity

This is where I got this definition. If anybody isn't satisfied about it then I'm officially done with this conversation.
    Just to give the context you cut out:

Heteronormativity is the belief that heterosexuality, predicated on the gender binary, is the norm or default sexual orientation.[1] It assumes that sexual and marital relations are most fitting between people of opposite sex.

Anyway, I should really getting to sleep, because it's polling day today, but I'm nervous. [Edit: not actually certain that this is okay, mentioned winged pigs] (an event only slightly more likely than me finding a partner*) [edit: this part might not be fine either]. And that's probably enough said.

*yeah, I know, not healthy.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-12-11 at 09:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well I'm glad we got that settled. So anyway I feel very happy that I'm going to the talent show at my job next Thursday. I'm going to sing and dance a country song Cactus Eye Joe.

29. - Top - End - #1409

Well I'm glad we got that settled. So anyway I feel very happy that I'm going to the talent show at my job next Thursday. I'm going to sing and dance a country song Cactus Eye Joe.
    If it weren't for him would you be married a long time ago?

Show

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

If it weren't for him would you be married a long time ago?
    Huh? What are you talking about? I don't get the joke?