The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Thufir's Third Random Banter #224

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Unfortunately I have this mental defect where I really want to help people... I feel really uncomfortable doing this stuff when I know I could theoretically solve the problem
    It's not your problem to solve, though. You requested time off. The request was approved. The manager then scheduled you to work during your time off. That's the manager's problem to solve, not yours. Your problem to solve is "let the scheduling manager know they have a problem." That's it.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean I've got reason to believe I have a half decent INT (I am literally a knowledge sponge, and know more about female biology than most cis men do), and I know I have an above average CHA because I can hold an audience's attention while a set is being changed. Also didn't dump STR, weirdly, I'm at either a 10 or 11 despite years of not exercising. It's clearly DEX and WIS I dumped for 12+ in INT and CHA. I haven't invested in social skills, but that doesn't mean I'm hopeless at charming (just not particularly good at it).

Yes, I have spent far too long analysing my D&D stats. It tells me that the reason girls don't like me is that I spend too long analysing my D&D stats.
    All I know is my INT is high enough to know my INT isn't really that high.
    (I'm probably at best average in any given stat. And, really, in many not even. )

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

I got Very high DEX and CON, Also gaining STR as well by exercising. My Average INT, WIS and CHA is decent. So I'm a very Mid-Tier person.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anyway I looked up Rat Race on YouTube, and wow. They clearly didn't want Rowan Atkinson in that, they wanted Mr Bean.

Finding a video that doesn't include a clip of forum-inappropriate standup is turning out to be a bit difficult, but it is worthwhile. I do adore his stint as Toby.

@DataNinja: I'm smart enough to know I'm probably not above a 12 ates, but I think I've definitely got a couple of positive modifiers, as well as definite negatives on two stats.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-12-06 at 05:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I doubt I have any stat above 8, but I could just be overly negative.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Here my stats:

Strength: 12
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 18
    Intelligence: 10
    Wisdom: 10
    Charisma: 10

Seems like I'm a very tough customer. I should be in the mid-tier range.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Here my stats:

Is there some sort of questionnaire or such to take to get this information? I always wondered what my stats would be.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Titan in the Playground

Here my stats:

I would guess your Dexterity and Constitution are more like 14. 18 for constitution is described as "Able to stay awake for days on end." And 18 for Dexterity is "Able to hit small moving targets from a great distance."

18-20 are, depending on the edition, literally as high as a human can ever get.

9. - Top - End - #1299

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I would guess your Dexterity and Constitution are more like 14. 18 for constitution is described as "Able to stay awake for days on end." And 18 for Dexterity is "Able to hit small moving targets from a great distance."

Indeed, Olympic-level gymnasts would have 18-20 Dex in, say, 5e.

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post

Ok that's sounds reasonable.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Finding a video that doesn't include a clip of forum-inappropriate standup is turning out to be a bit difficult, but it is worthwhile. I do adore his stint as Toby.
    How about his Zak the Alien sketch?

12. - Top - End - #1302

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I doubt I have any stat above 8, but I could just be overly negative.
    To be fair, in reality most people are either straight 9s, straight 10s, or have an 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 spread. But that's less fun.

Here my stats:

As has been said, 18s ate very unlikely. I know a Doctor of Photonics and a Doctor of Metallurgy, both are unlikely to have INT scores above 16 and more likely to have 14s-15s (they are both at least one point above me).

Anyway, does anybody have advice for going vegetarian when nut roasts disgust you? It's jessy that Yule is coming up and I'm trying to cut out meat.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Colossus in the Playground

Anyway, does anybody have advice for going vegetarian when nut roasts disgust you? It's jessy that Yule is coming up and I'm trying to cut out meat.
    The best advice I can give with regards to vegetarianism is "don't, we're omnivores for a reason" but it's your choice and I'm not going to stop you. I admittedly don't know what a nut roast is or how it relates to being a substitute for meat, but I'd probably sprinkle a little sugar on that bad boy. Sugar'd nuts are easier to eat and all that.

Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

14. - Top - End - #1304

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The best advice I can give with regards to vegetarianism is "don't, we're omnivores for a reason" but it's your choice and I'm not going to stop you. I admittedly don't know what a nut roast is or how it relates to being a substitute for meat, but I'd probably sprinkle a little sugar on that bad boy. Sugar'd nuts are easier to eat and all that.
    A nut roast is hell in a pan. Sugar would not solve the moisture anyway.

Also, this is as much me making a point about vegetarian cooking as it is me avoiding meat (I'm planning to drop to 'meat every other day' as a constant thing, but that's to allow big portions while retaining a healthier diet). I know a lot of people who see vegetarian cooking as either 'using meat substitutes' or 'ew', so starting from either Monday or the 1st of January I'm planning to cook for two straight months without meat or meat substitutes while keeping my meals nutritionally balanced, flavour rich, and presentable.

It involves a lot of beans.

But my point is 'vegetarian food is best when it's different'. Give me a bean burger, not a beef substitute burger.

EDIT: I love vegetarian cooking. I also love non vegetarian cooking. I hate when the former tries to be the latter.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-12-07 at 09:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1305

A nut roast is hell in a pan. Sugar would not solve the moisture anyway.

Also, this is as much me making a point about vegetarian cooking as it is me avoiding meat (I'm planning to drop to 'meat every other day' as a constant thing, but that's to allow big portions while retaining a healthier diet). I know a lot of people who see vegetarian cooking as either 'using meat substitutes' or 'ew', so starting from either Monday or the 1st of January I'm planning to cook for two straight months without meat or meat substitutes while keeping my meals nutritionally balanced, flavour rich, and presentable.

It involves a lot of beans.

But my point is 'vegetarian food is best when it's different'. Give me a bean burger, not a beef substitute burger.

EDIT: I love vegetarian cooking. I also love non vegetarian cooking. I hate when the former tries to be the latter.
    That's entirely reasonable! As I've said before, I have nothing against a vegetarian diet. If I had better advice for it I'd tell you but my general idea of eating green is Romane Lettuce Salad with chicken in it, and putting pineapples on everything.

16. - Top - End - #1306

eek Re: Thufir's Third Random Banter #224

The best advice I can give with regards to vegetarianism is "don't, we're omnivores for a reason"
    Eh, there's other reasons to go vegetarian. For example, I'm super excited about lab-grown meat or vegetarian meat tasting more and more like the real thing because cattle farming has a lot of environmental issues associated with it. Don't care about meat vs plant, or farm meat vs lab meat.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1307

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Eh, there's other reasons to go vegetarian. For example, I'm super excited about lab-grown meat or vegetarian meat tasting more and more like the real thing because cattle farming has a lot of environmental issues associated with it. Don't care about meat vs plant, or farm meat vs lab meat.
    I don't think you read my post right. I'm okay with people going vegetarian I just think we were designed to eat both plant and meat for a reason.

I'm all for lab-grown ****, taking the meat-burden off of nature and the plant-burden off of slave farmers is a win-win.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

To be fair, in reality most people are either straight 9s, straight 10s, or have an 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 spread. But that's less fun.

As has been said, 18s ate very unlikely. I know a Doctor of Photonics and a Doctor of Metallurgy, both are unlikely to have INT scores above 16 and more likely to have 14s-15s (they are both at least one point above me).

This list seems to check out with my mental list of vegetarian protein sources
    Last edited by Mith; 2019-12-07 at 10:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1309

That's entirely reasonable! As I've said before, I have nothing against a vegetarian diet. If I had better advice for it I'd tell you but my general idea of eating green is Romane Lettuce Salad with chicken in it, and putting pineapples on everything.
    You're missing out, in possibly the best way possible I think we need to get this lady some vegetarian food.

Although I agree on the pineapples, I could do with a pizza...
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-12-07 at 12:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't buy this. I think 7-13 is pretty common as a spread. People completely even across the board actually stand out in a group.

Beans, squash, sweet potatoes. I had an amazing sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving, along with cheese crisps. Various kinds of chili are also easy to make vegetarian, and of course the 800 varieties of squash.

If you look at ye olde recipes nutmeg (the holiday spice) used to be for savory recipes so you could look at those for a christmas flavor.

I don't think you read my post right. I'm okay with people going vegetarian I just think we were designed to eat both plant and meat for a reason.

I'm all for lab-grown ****, taking the meat-burden off of nature and the plant-burden off of slave farmers is a win-win.
    I mean, we were built to eat insects primarily and some plants as vitamin sources. It is why our teeth are so small and our fingers so dextrous. Our guts are bad at digesting either plants or raw meat because we were built for beetles and ants.

I want Eons to make a "when glorified anteaters conquered the world."
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-12-07 at 12:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1311

Ah, I getcha.

Though I think that reason is "screw it, I'ma live!"

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1312

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I don't buy this. I think 7-13 is pretty common as a spread. People completely even across the board actually stand out in a group.
    Eh, 10 is a range. But yes, the reality is probably closer to 'range centred on 10' rather than 'straight 10s', but straight tens is good enough when modelling poulations.

Beans, squash, sweet potatoes. I had an amazing sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving, along with cheese crisps. Various kinds of chili are also easy to make vegetarian, and of course the 800 varieties of squash.

If you look at ye olde recipes nutmeg (the holiday spice) used to be for savory recipes so you could look at those for a christmas flavor.#
    Oh, I use pretty much all of those, what I need is a good non-nut based alternative to roast meat. Even though I'll likely lose that battle now my sister is making nut roasts.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Eh, 10 is a range. But yes, the reality is probably closer to 'range centred on 10' rather than 'straight 10s', but straight tens is good enough when modelling poulations.

Oh, I use pretty much all of those, what I need is a good non-nut based alternative to roast meat. Even though I'll likely lose that battle now my sister is making nut roasts.
    In my experience trying to make food replacements is a mistake. It never scratches the itch properly, and the harder you try the less palatable it becomes. When I quit carbs I craved pasta and chips but nothing actually comes close and eventually I learned to just move to things that tasted good of their own accord.

In this case what you want is something heavy and filling, which is why I suggested chili. Beans are dense and have a high protein and medium fat content (depending on type) so they send the "you are stuffed" signal. The more whole the bean the better, mashing them makes them less filling and avoid pinto beans as they are fat free.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

24. - Top - End - #1314

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    In my experience trying to make food replacements is a mistake. It never scratches the itch properly, and the harder you try the less palatable it becomes. When I quit carbs I craved pasta and chips but nothing actually comes close and eventually I learned to just move to things that tasted good of their own accord.

In this case what you want is something heavy and filling, which is why I suggested chili. Beans are dense and have a high protein and medium fat content (depending on type) so they send the "you are stuffed" signal. The more whole the bean the better, mashing them makes them less filling and avoid pinto beans as they are fat free.
    Eh, I think 'can anybody thing of something that would make a good roast centrepiece' is a fine ask. This is more trying to find something that serves a role in the meal than a direct replacement, it's closer to grilling aubergine on the barbecue than a bean burger (and now I want grilled aubergine...)

Show

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Eh, I think 'can anybody thing of something that would make a good roast centrepiece' is a fine ask. This is more trying to find something that serves a role in the meal than a direct replacement, it's closer to grilling aubergine on the barbecue than a bean burger (and now I want grilled aubergine...)
    Personally, I am happy with roasted vegetables and squash, and would happily make that a meal everyday. It may not be in the style of what you are personally looking for in a meal when talking about a roast centerpiece.

My link was more for base ideas to jump off from, as I really don't know your food preferences here for what sounds good.

26. - Top - End - #1316

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Personally, I am happy with roasted vegetables and squash, and would happily make that a meal everyday. It may not be in the style of what you are personally looking for in a meal when talking about a roast centerpiece.

My link was more for base ideas to jump off from, as I really don't know your food preferences here for what sounds good.
    That's fine, I know how to bulk out a meal's protein already. I should have made that clear, but thanks for digging out the link anyway.

Anyway, yesterday, probably today for most people on this forum, I was at my FLGS getting a Yule present for my younger brother when I saw an interesting book for a game. So I bought it, and when I went online to look for a character sheet I became fairly certain that the staff made a mistake when putting the game on the shelves.

Because both the publisher's site and Amazon claim the game isn't out until the 12th. I managed to, by complete accident, buy a game five days before and actually have the book in my hands. I didn't even know this game existed when I went into the shop.

Well I guess that's not the worst thing to happen.

Show

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

I feel like karma is coming back to haunt me because of all these changes that are happening in my life.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That's fine, I know how to bulk out a meal's protein already. I should have made that clear, but thanks for digging out the link anyway.

Anyway, yesterday, probably today for most people on this forum, I was at my FLGS getting a Yule present for my younger brother when I saw an interesting book for a game. So I bought it, and when I went online to look for a character sheet I became fairly certain that the staff made a mistake when putting the game on the shelves.

Because both the publisher's site and Amazon claim the game isn't out until the 12th. I managed to, by complete accident, buy a game five days before and actually have the book in my hands. I didn't even know this game existed when I went into the shop.

Well I guess that's not the worst thing to happen.
    Figured we were likely talking past each other, but thought it was worth a shot.

As for the game: too bad it's not something you're playing right away. You could do something fun with the review dates on amazon.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here my stats:

...On my own stats, I feel like I must have been an "honest rolls" character-- 3 D6, assigned in order. The result is often horribly balanced but kind of funny.

On an entirely different note, are denim jackets cool? Like Chuck Taylors cool where they look good on pretty much everyone, or do you have to look a certain way to pull it off?
    Iop brain.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    On an entirely different note, are denim jackets cool? Like Chuck Taylors cool where they look good on pretty much everyone, or do you have to look a certain way to pull it off?
    I think they look good, but my idea of "comfortable wear" can often be summed up by the phrase "The 90s called and wants it's stuff back" (longsleeves under a tshirt is pretty peak comfy imo). So I think nice denim jackets look good on anyone that they fit well.