New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Thufir's Third Random Banter #224

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    My cat can be quite ornery.
    She rubs against you ankles gently and purrs so as to beg for a bowl of cream

What
    what I don't like is verbal and physical abuse to a human or an animal, especially to a child.
    I don't think anyone likes that.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    In defense of some dogs I know, I really feel sorry for both dogs and cynophobes in surprise meeting situations. Because some dogs just want to make sure you are ok, and their thoughts go like this:

That human over there looks stressed out, better go help them, oh no they look really bad, gotta hurry....ARE YOU OK HUMAN! I AM HERE TO HELP!!!

When I have been walking with a friend who also has a fear of dogs, I become a dog interceptor to either distract dogs who are looking for new friends, or console those care takers that really need to go over and take care of the stressed human.
    Sure, I get that mentally, but that doesn't stop the '****! dog!' thoughts. I'm also generally much more comfortable if their owner notices my discomfort, asks them to stay/sit/come back and the dog responds.

I also find small dogs much more scary than large dogs. This is because I don't tend to run into large dogs in professions where they'd have to be aggressive, they tend to be either pets or disability-assistant dogs (mainly guide dogs, but I've met an emotional support dog once or twice), and large pet dogs tend to be well trained so they don't keep knocking the stressed humans over when they run up to them. Medium dogs tend to be more varied, but are at least quiet. I cannot deal with small dogs, they are the second scariest kind of being on this planet.

EDIT: I juse remembered how in a production years ago I got to see Sir Ian McKellen's Twanky. Maybe I should see if it's still possible to get cheap panto tickets.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-11-24 at 05:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Sure, I get that mentally, but that doesn't stop the '****! dog!' thoughts. I'm also generally much more comfortable if their owner notices my discomfort, asks them to stay/sit/come back and the dog responds.

I also find small dogs much more scary than large dogs. This is because I don't tend to run into large dogs in professions where they'd have to be aggressive, they tend to be either pets or disability-assistant dogs (mainly guide dogs, but I've met an emotional support dog once or twice), and large pet dogs tend to be well trained so they don't keep knocking the stressed humans over when they run up to them. Medium dogs tend to be more varied, but are at least quiet. I cannot deal with small dogs, they are the second scariest kind of being on this planet.

EDIT: I juse remembered how in a production years ago I got to see Sir Ian McKellen's Twanky. Maybe I should see if it's still possible to get cheap panto tickets.
    I wasn't being critical of your thought process. Just observing that unfortunately the nature of some dogs mean that your aversion to them makes an unfortunate situation where they try and help you overcome whatever seems to be the problem. My parent's dog would likely have that issue (although he's usually calm enough after the initial "New Friend!" Phase to be guided away to Other Friends)

I really pity small dogs. Everything is so large compared to them that they must be fairly constantly scared.

From what descriptions I have heard about them, panto shows always seems to be a solid entertainment investment.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    I don't think anyone likes that.
    I wonder about the people who do those atrosities, however, I better stop before I cross a line of post content and get in trouble with the miods.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    From what descriptions I have heard about them, panto shows always seems to be a solid entertainment investment.
    Anonymouswizard: Oh no it isn't.

Audience members: Oh yes it is!

In all seriousness, I wish work would allow me to have some control over my shifts, so that I could find a way to get back on stage. But I can't even get one solid day a week*, so I have no ability to commit to rehersals.

*compare to the people who have that and are only ever put on the earliest shift.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Colossus in the Playground

I've always been a big fan of dogs, but I totally understand being afraid of them. Even tiny ones can be scary.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I've always been a big fan of dogs, but I totally understand being afraid of them. Even tiny ones can be scary.
    Thank you, that makes a nice change from all the 'how can you be scared of dogs' comments I get.

Anyway, there is no cat here and so I am sad. I am also a fail at talking to people, especially if I find them pretty.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #998
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Thank you, that makes a nice change from all the 'how can you be scared of dogs' comments I get.

Anyway, there is no cat here and so I am sad. I am also a fail at talking to people, especially if I find them pretty.
    Ah, you have no trouble talking to me! To be fair, though, I am already married, so that probably makes it easier.

I choose to believe nobody will excercize the other option of why it might be easier...
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #999

I've got difficulty talking to people too. Ultimately the one way you can get better is trying.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

I've got difficulty talking to people too. Ultimately the one way you can get better is trying.
    People on a D&D forum having trouble talking to people, who'd have thought!?

Anyway, I've been trying to work out a way to start a conversation with one of the nurses at work. Not in a 'I want to get into her pants' way (I think she has a partner anyway), but she's one of the few people who shows any actual willingness to talk with me. Unfortunately roles mean we never share a break (she has to help during mealtimes, and guess when my breaks are!).

Show

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ogre in the Playground

Really pissed at Canada Post right now.

So I just received my copy of Pokemon Shield. Actually great that it came super fast, so I can play it tomorrow afternoon on my day off.

However...

I live in an apartment. Our units aren't actually numbered inside the building.

Canada post, without calling or texting, dropped the envelope containing my game at my door and not the mailbox while i was asleep. Anyone could have just swiped it, heck I could've easily stomped on it when I left to grab my delivery poutine (which is when i saw the package) because i didn't expect it to just be there on the floor (every other parcel was either pickup or in my mailbox).

Delivery guy likely should have no reason to know why my apartment (number not-2) is the second one inside the building (there are "outside units" if that makes sense) outside of a wild guess or asking someone in the building.

Someone could have easily taken my game dangit. I'm glad my neighbors are honest folks.

12. - Top - End - #1002

BlackDragon

Sure it was Canada Post? Could have been some third-party parcel delivery service, and frankly, it's entirely a crapshoot what those guys will do. Best one I had was when I ordered some flowers to be delivered to my mother, and they got left outside an entirely different house and discovered about two weeks later!

13. - Top - End - #1003

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Sure it was Canada Post? Could have been some third-party parcel delivery service, and frankly, it's entirely a crapshoot what those guys will do. Best one I had was when I ordered some flowers to be delivered to my mother, and they got left outside an entirely different house and discovered about two weeks later!
    I can say definitively that it's absolutely Canada Post. They've always been real bad about actually delivering the mail.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah. It had the Canada Post delivery labels on the enveloppe.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    delivery poutine
    Is Canada even real?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #1006

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Is Canada even real?
    "People who come to deliver food to you" is... literally one of the most common, actual staples of all cultures.

17. - Top - End - #1007

Is Canada even real?
    "Delivery poutine" are two of the greatest words in the English language when combined like that. That sounds amazing and I want this service in America.

And on a completely different topic, I finally got to see Jojo Rabbit last night. Beautiful movie, it was everything I was hoping for and more. However, I've gotta say, if I was a Hollywood star and was offered a lead role in a movie where Sam Rockwell had so much as ten minutes of screentime, I'd pass, because he'd steal the damn show. He always does. He might be my favorite actor at this point (sorry, Dustin Hoffman). Dude has his charisma dialed to 11. I will never not love that man. Plus, I have yet to ever see him in anything bad (I will fight anyone who claims HHGG here). I have the biggest man-crush on Rockwell, he can do no wrong.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

Someone could have easily taken my game dangit. I'm glad my neighbors are honest folks.
    Maybe this is because I've only lived in a flat while at uni, but IME neighbours are very good at not taking your post, or at least bringing it round if they grabbed it for safekeeping (yes, I've had that happen once, my neighbour noticed our parcel was in full view of the road, grabbed it, and brought it round at 6ish). It's everybody else you have to look out for.

Anyway, the new Star Wars film being due out soon has made me want to go back and play the Dark Forces games, and man has that reminded me of how stupid I was for dismissing shooters in my teens. Not that I don't have reasons, when your first introductions were the Modern Warfare games and Duke Nukem Forever (not a bad game, but pretty meh) it's easy to dismiss all shooters as big dumb jock games. I think getting a copy of Jedi Outcast just because it was the first time I had discovered a copy of KoTOR was the first time I actually enjoyed an FPS.

Show

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ogre in the Playground

Is Canada even real?
    Sometimes I look at the country and wonder that very thing.

Like, did you know Alberta Canada is basically the only place on earth, outside of the polar regions, without rat colonies?

If you check the global rat destribution map you just see this one ratless, lopsided pentagon in Canada.

This is, as I found out, because Alberta has a deep and seething hatred of rats. They have a dedicated rat patrol guarding the border and a rat hotline to call if you see any.

It makes sense as a prairie province with a strong agricultural and livestock industry.

20. - Top - End - #1010

Sometimes I look at the country and wonder that very thing.

Like, did you know Alberta Canada is basically the only place on earth, outside of the polar regions, without rat colonies?

If you check the global rat destribution map you just see this one ratless, lopsided pentagon in Canada.

This is, as I found out, because Alberta has a deep and seething hatred of rats. They have a dedicated rat patrol guarding the border and a rat hotline to call if you see any.

It makes sense as a prairie province with a strong agricultural and livestock industry.
    Alberta has initiated extremanatus on the rodentia population and it's definitely A Thing, yeah.

I had something more relevant to say but I forgot it like so many ephemeral strands touching across my brain so instead I'll mention that in a month or two, my book will be published and that's super rad.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-11-26 at 12:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1011

Spoiler: That reminds me of the hog map.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

"People who come to deliver food to you" is... literally one of the most common, actual staples of all cultures.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #1013

I weep for the French people.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I weep for the French people.
    Oh we've got delivery alright. Of pizza.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-11-26 at 01:36 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #1015

Okay seriously does wherever you live (presumably France based on what Peelee said) not have delivery?

Like, that's absurd. It has to have take out. At the very least it has those dumb phone based ones that are just hiring a courier to get you food to-go, right?

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Titan in the Playground

Oh we've got delivery alright. Of pizza.
    Wait, you don't have to pick your pizza up?

Show

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

Is Canada even real?

I visited Canada in the late '80's, but I have my doubts, first because I didn't walk to and see the Great Ice Wall at the border, instead I took "Air Canada" where I was forced to be intoxicated by a hat wearing stewardess (with a French-ish accent!) asking me "Do you want a drink?" thus rendering me easily fooled, next Ottawa looked like a film set, suspiciously so!
    Montreal on the other hand looked just like an American city, but French speaking to fool ya!
    But the most damning indicator is that saw no moose!
    Mexico had pinatas (so does Los Angeles, but Mexico had more!), but a "Canada" without moose?
    I remain unconvinced that this "Canada" actually exists, there may well just be a few cities planted near the "border" as an elaborate ruse!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Titan in the Playground

Okay seriously does wherever you live (presumably France based on what Peelee said) not have delivery?

Like, that's absurd. It has to have take out. At the very least it has those dumb phone based ones that are just hiring a courier to get you food to-go, right?
    Pizza is pretty much the only kind of food that gets delivered. If you want something something else you either cook it yourself or go to a restaurant and order it there.

Do you really have companies that just hire to-go for you over there? That’s surreal.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #1019

Do you really have companies that just hire to-go for you over there? That’s surreal.
    Think of it as "Uber, but with food." I like the idea, I'm not a fan of the execution, but I'll largely avoid going into why. I will say that whenever I use them, I always tip cash, because I trust those companies as far as I can throw them.

30. - Top - End - #1020

BlackDragon

We have them in the UK too--Deliveroo, for instance, whose entire purpose in existing is to deliver meals from restaurants to people's homes. Obviously tends to be used for food places that wouldn't normally deliver.