New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thufir's Third Random Banter #224

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post

I've never put milk in an omelette. Just straight beaten eggs and filling.

ETA: hooray for strongly worded letters, they at least get looked at before being ignored!
    Really enjoy how that's the one you took notice of. Anyway it makes omelette's fluffier and a little thicker, just put like a tablespoon of milk in there and it does WONDERS. I tend to put too much though. Once got an omelette about like... maybe three inches thick? It was good as **** though.

Yup! Progress, however slight, has been made!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I would not be comfortable drinking from something that looks so much like a bottle of detergent ...
    Also seems like a lot of milk at once. We are talking about one of those, right? My googling gives me conflicting results ...
    ...the heck kind of detergent y'all got in Germany that looks like milk?
    *puts on deerstalker cap, monocole, and pipe*

Why of course, how else would one fetch milk, send the servant out for it? They're already too busy picking up the meat for the sunday roast.
    Huzzahs all around!

Anyway, glass is heavy and expensive. Recycles great, though. I'd be up for it, the manufacturers and distributors don't seem to like it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Pathfinder Tiara Magic.

Look everybody it's Sailor Pathfinder.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    ...the heck kind of detergent y'all got in Germany that looks like milk?

Huzzahs all around!

Anyway, glass is heavy and expensive. Recycles great, though. I'd be up for it, the manufacturers and distributors don't seem to like it.
    Not the detergent itself, but a lot of cleaning stuff comes in white plastic jugs like this, so it seems kinda weird. Might just be me.
    I cannot remember seeing containers of milk larger than one liter around here, mostly cartons. Glass bottles have fallen out of favour since I was a kid and are now almost exclusively used by organic brands.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2019-10-10 at 04:45 PM. Reason: stupid typo

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Not the detergent itself, but a lot of cleaning stuff comes in white plastic jugs like this, so it seems kinda weird. Might just be me.
    Aha. Most of our detergents are in brightly colored jugs that are variably shaped, while the milk jug-style jug is also used for distilled water, sweet tea, lemonade, and the like. The drink jugs are also clear, so the milk ones only look white because they hold milk.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-10 at 04:52 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Really enjoy how that's the one you took notice of. Anyway it makes omelette's fluffier and a little thicker, just put like a tablespoon of milk in there and it does WONDERS. I tend to put too much though. Once got an omelette about like... maybe three inches thick? It was good as **** though.

Yup! Progress, however slight, has been made!
    Well it's because none of the others differed from my experience.

I'd move entirely to glass containers if given the chance. Unfortunately I can rarely find drinks and the like in it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #97

Well it's because none of the others differed from my experience.

I'd move entirely to glass containers if given the chance. Unfortunately I can rarely find drinks and the like in it.
    I'm glad to see I have found another gluttonous monster to be friends with.

Two nights ago I drank an entire litre of milk because it was going to go bad the next day. No mistakes were made.

8. - Top - End - #98

To be fair hippo's are actually surprisingly agile given their size. But yeah that's cool and all but I don't really want the hardest hard realism ever. That's why I dislike Battletech, it's just a bunch of walking gun platforms and that's so ****ing boring. Gundam is real robot, but it's got ESPers and beam swords and humanoid mechs that are basically Large Infantry and I like that so much more. Also funnels! I cannot begin to describe how much I LOVE funnels. Just these little flying drones you control with your brain (or with an intensely steady hand and some fishing wire) that fly around shooting stuff at your enemy. It's great I love them so much and they're so cute and all the mechs that make use of funnels are my favorite.
    I know like two pages of conversation have passed since this post but I figured I'd throw my two cents in anyway and agree. I don't even like watching Gundam or anything (there was one short series that I liked and it was still a little too heavy on anime cliches for my liking) but man, they're so much more varied and interesting than some of the other 'big robot of death' franchises out there (plus Gundam Versus is just a ridiculously fun game).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I know like two pages of conversation have passed since this post but I figured I'd throw my two cents in anyway and agree. I don't even like watching Gundam or anything (there was one short series that I liked and it was still a little too heavy on anime cliches for my liking) but man, they're so much more varied and interesting than some of the other 'big robot of death' franchises out there (plus Gundam Versus is just a ridiculously fun game).
    IT really depends on the series, given Gundam's so old it can cater to everyone. Want big dumb idiot super robot fights where the power of love manifests as a giant king who becomes a heart shaped laser and the hero and his girlfriend blow a heart shaped hole through the literal robot-devil? Watch G-Gundam because not one single word uttered here is a lie.

Want to be severely depressed and sad all the time because of the cost of human life due to the horrors of war, but also everyone is a girl trying to protect one small soft awful child? Watch V Gundam! Or don't! It's good but it's weird.

Wanna watch a series about the legacy of war and also the protagonist is trans because the studio wouldn't let Tomino just make them a girl, and also like mechs to have large dumb moustaches because of a really silly joke that no one but me gets? Watch Turn A Gundam. Please watch Turn A it's so good.

Gundam caters to everyone and thing, and primarily me. There's even series that are bad but fun, like Gundam Wing. Or series that are bad but bad, like Gundam Seed and everything related to it.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-10 at 05:29 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

IT really depends on the series, given Gundam's so old it can cater to everyone. Want big dumb idiot super robot fights where the power of love manifests as a giant king who becomes a heart shaped laser and the hero and his girlfriend blow a heart shaped hole through the literal robot-devil? Watch G-Gundam because not one single word uttered here is a lie.

Want to be severely depressed and sad all the time because of the cost of human life due to the horrors of war, but also everyone is a girl trying to protect one small soft awful child? Watch V Gundam! Or don't! It's good but it's weird.

Wanna watch a series about the legacy of war and also the protagonist is trans because the studio wouldn't let Tomino just make them a girl, and also like mechs to have large dumb moustaches because of a really silly joke that no one but me gets? Watch Turn A Gundam. Please watch Turn A it's so good.

Gundam caters to everyone and thing, and primarily me. There's even series that are bad but fun, like Gundam Wing. Or series that are bad but bad, like Gundam Seed and everything related to it.
    The one I've seen all the way through was 8th MS Team. I've seen bits and pieces of others that lost me for one reason or another (especially Gundam Seed, now that you mention it-- I think that one might have turned me off Gundam as a whole more than any of them. So many anime cliches.)

Also, isn't G Gundam the one where countries duke it out with Gundams that range from silly stereotypes of their country of origin to borderline 'man this is kind of racist'?
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

I'm glad to see I have found another gluttonous monster to be friends with.

Two nights ago I drank an entire litre of milk because it was going to go bad the next day. No mistakes were made.
    Is it possible to drink too much milk?

Actually it kind of is in my case. Lactose intolerance means too much diary isn't pleasant for me. It's a shame, I actually really like diary, and have trouble not gorging myself on milk and cheese.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

12. - Top - End - #102

The one I've seen all the way through was 8th MS Team. I've seen bits and pieces of others that lost me for one reason or another (especially Gundam Seed, now that you mention it-- I think that one might have turned me off Gundam as a whole more than any of them. So many anime cliches.)

Also, isn't G Gundam the one where countries duke it out with Gundams that range from silly stereotypes of their country of origin to borderline 'man this is kind of racist'?
    Seed is definitely bad enough to scare people off the entire franchise, yeah. 8th MS Team rules though.

I don't think any of them ever hit that bad beyond maybe the Tequila Gundam, but it's also meant to be parody in that regard. It's extremely good.

Is it possible to drink too much milk?

Actually it kind of is in my case. Lactose intolerance means too much diary isn't pleasant for me. It's a shame, I actually really like diary, and have trouble not gorging myself on milk and cheese.
    Absolutely.

Also hell yeah. I'm not intolerant of milk but it's always nice to see people who are who also just, straight slam milk down their face. Because it's hilarious. Most allergies are like "if I so much as breath this I will die" and Lactose Inteolerents are like "oh yeah this'll make me feel awful. Now hand my my ice cream back please".
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-10 at 05:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Seed is definitely bad enough to scare people off the entire franchise, yeah. 8th MS Team rules though.

I don't think any of them ever hit that bad beyond maybe the Tequila Gundam, but it's also meant to be parody in that regard. It's extremely good.
    Honestly I'm just bitter because Armenia doesn't get a Gundam in G Gundam

I watched 8th MS Team a pretty long time ago but I remember digging it. It's also not as awful when it comes to female characters as some of the other Gundam shows I've dabbled in, which is a plus.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Honestly I'm just bitter because Armenia doesn't get a Gundam in G Gundam

I watched 8th MS Team a pretty long time ago but I remember digging it. It's also not as awful when it comes to female characters as some of the other Gundam shows I've dabbled in, which is a plus.
    I really liked that one as a kid, then I tried to rewatch it and gave up after two episodes. The issue was more that it had 90s voice dubbing then the plot, but like One Piece I think it is going to be sub only.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Absolutely.

Also hell yeah. I'm not intolerant of milk but it's always nice to see people who are who also just, straight slam milk down their face. Because it's hilarious. Most allergies are like "if I so much as breath this I will die" and Lactose Inteolerents are like "oh yeah this'll make me feel awful. Now hand my my ice cream back please".
    I mean, it's not really an allergy. Ingest too much of the wrong pollen and I die (in theory, I got my tonsils removed as a toddler because it nearly happened), I have too much lactose I feel terrible and you'll want to give it half an hour after I've been to the bathroom. I only bring it up because IIRC real lactose/diary allergies are a thing, just incredibly rare.

There are two toes of lactose intolerant people, those who'll avoid chocolate because they'll feel terrible, and those who'll scoff an entire wheel of Stilton because it's there. I very much fall into the latter category, when drinking milk it'll be in the largest glass I can find, I'll pay for it later but it's delicious. Some people straight up don't believe me when I tell them I'm LI because they've just seem me eat a litre of cheese.

I did try cutting diary out once, but life's too short to avoid it.

I do take tea and coffee black, but that's personal preference. Now please give me back my ice cream.

Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, giant robots/mecha/bipedal tanks. Is there anything else that manages to be so impractical yet such a beloved idea?
    (I suppose hologrammatic displays are another one.)

Not that I'm complaining, of course.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Ah, giant robots/mecha/bipedal tanks. Is there anything else that manages to be so impractical yet such a beloved idea?
    (I suppose hologrammatic displays are another one.)

Not that I'm complaining, of course.
    The whole "mechs are impractical!" argument has never held any weight for me because bitch look at history and name one time where humans did something practical over something absolutely gob smacked stupid and awesome instead.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

The whole "mechs are impractical!" argument has never held any weight for me because bitch look at history and name one time where humans did something practical over something absolutely gob smacked stupid and awesome instead.
    Trench warfare.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Sadly, the stuff that tends to get eventually rolled out into use between "X" and "X but better", tends to be the latter. Hence why settings need handwaves to use X.
    (Or just deliberately ignore it for that very reason. Because it's cool and awesome.)

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Trench warfare.
    Trench warfare is not practical and is in fact an utter meat grinder.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Tanks can't swing chainsaws in their hands if they don't have hands, ergo mechs are the height of practicality.

It is rather funny that humans have all of these advantages over other animals in endurance, flexible design and tool usage but humanoid robots are awful.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

It's practical insomuch as it provides a massive defensive advantage. Attacking… not so much. Which is, of course, where issues lay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    It is rather funny that humans have all of these advantages over other animals in endurance, flexible design and tool usage but humanoid robots are awful.
    Limitations of code, alas. A robot simply can't adapt naturally to even something as simple as putting one's foot down for a step. It's not the design's fault so much as it is the computer's.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-10-10 at 07:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's practical insomuch as it provides a massive defensive advantage. Attacking… not so much. Which is, of course, where issues lay.
    No one tried the obvious solution of towing wooden buses full of troops held up by hot air balloon behind biplanes, which makes me sad. Single use troop carrier dirigibles were the future everyone needed (except the people inside them probably.)

Edit: Computers can beat us in Go and are going to take our jobs, can't figure out this walking trick. Leading to the bad future where we do manual labor and they run the stock exchange.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-10-10 at 07:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Giant robots are ostensibly war machines, and "stupid but awesome" generally describes the losing strategy in war. Rome very nearly got wiped off the map because they cleaved to honor and glory against Hannibal rather than engage in "cowardly" tactics like ambushes from favorable terrain. They also absolutely loathed Fabian tactics of harassing the enemy line because it was also "cowardly" and not even close to awesome.

It's also a major reason that Rome survived the second Punic war.

Trench warfare was actually the most practical strategy for the time. It made your defensive line essentially unassailable, which is why everybody used it.

The problem is that if everyone's line is unassailable, there's never an end to the conflict. And since everyone was using trench warfare, weeeeeell...
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Giant robots are ostensibly war machines, and "stupid but awesome" generally describes the losing strategy in war. Rome very nearly got wiped off the map because they cleaved to honor and glory against Hannibal rather than engage in "cowardly" tactics like ambushes from favorable terrain. They also absolutely loathed Fabian tactics of harassing the enemy line because it was also "cowardly" and not even close to awesome.

It's also a major reason that Rome survived the second Punic war.

Trench warfare was actually the most practical strategy for the time. It made your defensive line essentially unassailable, which is why everybody used it.

The problem is that if everyone's line is unassailable, there's never an end to the conflict. And since everyone was using trench warfare, weeeeeell...
    There's nothing awesome about needlessly clinging to honour over tactics, is the thing, so that's very Stupid but not Awesome. Stealthing across a battlefield to sneak attack the enemy army entirely? Now that's stupid AND awesome (but also smart since things can be dumb and smart at the same time).

Nothing is good about perpetual war, ergo trench warfare is not practical, nor is it stupid or awesome. It's just Bad.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Barbarian in the Playground

. . . . I can't even begin to explain how utterly distraught . . . .
    Since this is about milk, wouldn't you be "udderly distraught" ?
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

There's nothing awesome about needlessly clinging to honour over tactics, is the thing, so that's very Stupid but not Awesome.
    Glory is, by definition, awesome. And most awesome things are also very, very stupid (using a too big for you, for example)

Giant robots are the impractical kind of stupid. See square cube law.

Stealthing across a battlefield to sneak attack the enemy army entirely? Now that's stupid AND awesome (but also smart since things can be dumb and smart at the same time).
    This... isn't what Hannibal did at any point I can recall. IIRC he preferred to bait his enemies into terrible positions.

Nothing is good about perpetual war, ergo trench warfare is not practical, nor is it stupid or awesome. It's just Bad.
    Zodi, trench warfare was used because it was the most viable strategy available. Using any other tactic (on land, anyway) meant you lost to the guys who WERE using trench warfare.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-10-10 at 08:19 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Zodi, trench warfare was used because it was the most viable strategy available. Using any other tactic (on land, anyway) meant you lost to the guys who WERE using trench warfare.
    I know I'm just saying war bad, that's all

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

I know I'm just saying war bad, that's all
    But giant robots made for war good?
    Gimmie anything futuretech, really.

30. - Top - End - #120

But giant robots made for war good?
    Gimmie anything futuretech, really.
    Fictional war isn't harming anyone so it's (mostly) fine~

Also giant war robots means also giant for fun robots. Imagine how cool a robot fighting league would be.