New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Thufir's Third Random Banter #224

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes yesterday. Was at the supermarket this morning just marvelling at all the things I can't eat anymore...
    I found out I was type 2 at age 37 and went through the same supermarket depression. hang in there, its a marathon, not a sprint.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Dad just made the tedious supposed-"joke" of a door being a jar, and then announced that he was extremely funny.

Even I'm not that oblivious! I suppose he could have just been lying...
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-10-12 at 08:16 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Dad just made the tedious supposed-"joke" of a door being a jar, and then announced that he was extremely funny.

Even I'm not that oblivious! I suppose he could have just been lying...
    If I was a comedy critic, I would rate his jokes 1 out of 5 stars.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

I got into a fight with my friend a couple of days ago, because she said I don't like Tomb Raider because I consider the second reboot games to be massively inferior to the Core Design games.

Maybe I'm wrong for wanting a series built on platforming to focus on platforming instead of stealth and third person shooter combat, but I literally grew up with the first four games*. Don't tell me that the games are in the same series when one is based around puzzles and traversing giant multiple-level tombs and the other incudes five minute jumping over pits segments between thirty minute gun battles. But apparently this is pure 'they changed it now it sucks' and I shouldn't want the old puzzle platformer style.

But I've been discovering that it's the really little things that annoy me, like having air control. I've been playing Angel of Darkness (whisk, in my opinion, is just better than TR2013), and the fact that jumps were committed only added challenge and gameplay. I actually have to plan my jumps and ensure I have the right momentum instead of just leaping and wiggling the stick if I'm going to miss. The platforming in the newer games just feels so souled, but in the older ones I don't care about the tank controls because they work and the game is designed around them.

* and to clarify they didn't get into the series until later.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knight9910 View Post
    Locally for me, there is Promised Land Dairy which is doing the same thing.

While I do appreciate the attempt to be more "natural" and "organic" there are plenty of ways to get red coloring naturally and organically, without having to resort to using synthetic chemical dyes.

...also, I don't like Promised Land Dairy's strawberry milk. It has way too much of a citrusy acidic bite to it, which is totally out of place in milk, which is supposed to be sweet and smooth.
    They could add beetroot juice. Excellent at colouring stuff and since noone likes beetroots, they should get it for free.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

6. - Top - End - #156

PirateCaptain

The main "natural" red dye is E120, but that's of animal origin so you'd lose all the vegetarian and vegan customers, along with various religious groups. I guess if they have to lose one of: vegetarians, people who irrationally avoid anything "artificial" and people who like their strawberry milk to be pink, the latter is the least profitable market.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    The main "natural" red dye is E120, but that's of animal origin so you'd lose all the vegetarian and vegan customers, along with various religious groups. I guess if they have to lose one of: vegetarians, people who irrationally avoid anything "artificial" and people who like their strawberry milk to be pink, the latter is the least profitable market.
    Bah, it's like this 'organic' nonsense, I just had some organic eggs, they were from some totally carbon based chickens. I say we treat the artificial stuff like what it is, chemicals, and the natural stuff like what it is, chemicals.

And darn, a bit of milk in your omelette really does increase the fluffiness. I'm going to try to go and study French cooking now.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And darn, a bit of milk in your omelette really does increase the fluffiness.
    Does the same with scrambled eggs. Ian McKellen has a good video on how he makes his, I totally recommend checking it out.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Does the same with scrambled eggs. Ian McKellen has a good video on how he makes his, I totally recommend checking it out.
    Except it ruins the taste, scrambled eggs are better with a dash of salted butter.

Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Except it ruins the taste, scrambled eggs are better with a dash of salted butter.
    Dash of butter. Then out on a slice of well-buttered toast.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground

Delightful culinary discovery:

Disclaimer: Non vegan/vegetarian; non Hillel / Kosher; lactose free;

take smoked bacon and fully cook. finely chop bacon to about "bacon bit sized bits"

Drop bits into pan of tomato soup and slow cook. place some in a bowl with a slice of smoked provolone or smoke Gouda cheese. let cheese melt then enjoy.

I have enjoyed tomato soup wit cheese many times, but on a whim I dropped in the bacon and YUMMY!
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

12. - Top - End - #162

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    non Hillel
    So it's only acceptable to followers of Beit Shammai? That may be the most obscure joke I have ever made.

Bah, it's like this 'organic' nonsense, I just had some organic eggs, they were from some totally carbon based chickens. I say we treat the artificial stuff like what it is, chemicals, and the natural stuff like what it is, chemicals.
    Seconded.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    It takes a rather hardcore vegetarian to refuse to eat something because it contains extract from an insect, and vegans wouldn't even pick it up to read the label of contents given that it's milk.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    It takes a rather hardcore vegetarian to refuse to eat something because it contains extract from an insect, and vegans wouldn't even pick it up to read the label of contents given that it's milk.
    To be fair, it is practically impossible to avoid eating insects/insect parts, they're just generally small enough for you to not notice. Plus it's extra protein, I don't personally see the problem.

Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

*snip*
    That's not really the point of organics. The point is to avoid pesticides and similar chemicals that harm the environment. It's more about not supporting those that harm the environment then it is about dietary restrictions. Although I agree that organic eggs sound dumb. How would you put pesticides on chickens?
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    That's not really the point of organics. The point is to avoid pesticides and similar chemicals that harm the environment. It's more about not supporting those that harm the environment then it is about dietary restrictions. Although I agree that organic eggs sound dumb. How would you put pesticides on chickens?
    The exact regulations will vary, but to be labeled as "organic" the chickens get for example more space, their food has to be free of pesticides and use of medication is more restricted.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    The exact regulations will vary, but to be labeled as "organic" the chickens get for example more space, their food has to be free of pesticides and use of medication is more restricted.
    Oh, I see. So they're basically free-range chickens with some other upsides. Thanks for the info!

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Talk about a) missing the joke entirely (the eggs were organic in the 'to do with living matter' sense, not the 'to do with organic farming' sense) and b) not realising that I don't give a dire rat's arse about what organic farming entails. It's going to be obsolete once we apply our new, more efficient genetic engineering methods to these plants we've been genetically engineering for the least ten thousand years or so, why should I worth about it? The future's going to be cool if we can avoid an eternal cyberpunk dystopia.

Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Talk about [...] b) not realising that I don't give a dire rat's arse about what organic farming entails. It's going to be obsolete once we apply our new, more efficient genetic engineering methods to these plants we've been genetically engineering for the least ten thousand years or so, why should I worth about it?
    You might be underestimating the amount of time it'll take to genetically engineer plants that are both fully pest resistant yet at the same time not ecosystem-destroying.

The future's going to be cool if we can avoid an eternal cyberpunk dystopia.
    Or turning the Earth into the bastard hellspawn of a desert and a marshland...

Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I see. So they're basically free-range chickens with some other upsides. Thanks for the info!
    I don't think the "increased space" is generally part of "organic" as far as labelling requirements go. "Organic" and "free-range" are orthogonal (and "free-range" probably means less than you intuitively expect, though that's jurisdictional).
    You might be underestimating the amount of time it'll take to genetically engineer plants that are both fully pest resistant yet at the same time not ecosystem-destroying.
    Sterility is the usual way to go, yes? Existing gengineered crops are usually grown from seed bought fresh from whatever company makes them, not bought once and reseeded from the results, as far as I know. That removes "ecosystem-destroying" as a risk beyond the confines of the fields.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I don't think the "increased space" is generally part of "organic" as far as labelling requirements go. "Organic" and "free-range" are orthogonal (and "free-range" probably means less than you intuitively expect, though that's jurisdictional).
    As I said, it varies with jurisdictions and the specific certifications. But at least around here, more space seems to be part of the package.

Sterility is the usual way to go, yes? Existing gengineered crops are usually grown from seed bought fresh from whatever company makes them, not bought once and reseeded from the results, as far as I know. That removes "ecosystem-destroying" as a risk beyond the confines of the fields.
    It also makes the farmers very dependend on the seed company, which I would see as a downside.

~Augustus von Fabelrath~

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

I just remembered out of nowhere my childhood habit of stuffing the family cat into my shirt and pretending to be pregnant.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

23. - Top - End - #173

On the milk container issue, I do buy my milk in glass bottles from the local dairy, but that's not common in my area. I'm just lucky enough to have a glass-bottle small dairy that sells milk at the farmers market walking distance from my house once a week. I used to live in a different city in my state that had a dairy with re-usable plastic bottles and wide distribution, though. (That dairy ran a chain of milk-focused convenience stores with drive-thru windows and I miss them terribly. Being able to pick up milk on the way home without getting out of the car was a major bonus of living in that town. I don't really drive much now, though, since I walk to work, so I suppose it wouldn't be the same anyway.)

It's going to be a rough transition when the farmers market shuts down for the winter at the end of the month and I have to actually get in the car to buy perishables again. I've really been enjoying being able to get everything but shelf-stable bulk stuff on foot all summer.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Yeah, but that requires fertile plants to hybridise from, because we aren't quite at the stage where we're able to synthesise entire seeds from molecular matter, and you need to make sure those aren't eco-system destroying either. To put in perspective, contemporary genetically engineered crops primarily do one thing, and that's a tailored immunity to very strong planticides, meaning they can grow completely free of competition.

Then we have the whole part about a cyberpunk dystopia...

Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Talk about a) missing the joke entirely (the eggs were organic in the 'to do with living matter' sense, not the 'to do with organic farming' sense) *snip*
    Sorry, I have trouble getting jokes over the internet. We should have a common indicator for it like we do for sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    *snip* It also makes the farmers very dependend on the seed company, which I would see as a downside.
    Yeah, basically this. I remember hearing something about a group of farmers that were forced to buy seeds because of their contract even though the plant wasn't sterile, which really screwed up their business model. Forcing all farmers to do so by genetic means would mean mostly the end for independent farmers. I think the right way to go would be to make it not sterile, but just only have the seeds be opened by some kind of tool, and not naturally. Probably too difficult to make happen, though.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    Delightful culinary discovery:

Disclaimer: Non vegan/vegetarian; non Hillel / Kosher; lactose free;

take smoked bacon and fully cook. finely chop bacon to about "bacon bit sized bits"

Drop bits into pan of tomato soup and slow cook. place some in a bowl with a slice of smoked provolone or smoke Gouda cheese. let cheese melt then enjoy.

I have enjoyed tomato soup wit cheese many times, but on a whim I dropped in the bacon and YUMMY!
    i'd add some onions and turn this into an amazing pasta sause!

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Look at this mashup of two versions of the same song, both of which were internet-remixes of the same source material.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes yesterday. Was at the supermarket this morning just marvelling at all the things I can't eat anymore...
    I'm allergic to soy, cannot have dairy or many grains unless I want my body to suffer, so I can relate to the long stares at all of the shelves of food I can't have any longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Happy Indigenous Peoples Day everybody.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Decades to centuries. It's still quicker than millennia,

Or turning the Earth into the bastard hellspawn of a desert and a marshland...
    True, we might have to get the desert and marshland hitched quickly.

Sorry, I have trouble getting jokes over the internet. We should have a common indicator for it like we do for sarcasm.
    That's fine, I was hoping the snark about the chickens being 'totally carbon based'.

WRT organic farming, I just don't care about it. I'm not exactly against it, more I just think we're starting to get tools that make it obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Happy Indigenous Peoples Day everybody.
    Considering that over here I'm partially indigenous (I'm somewhere up to half celtic, somewhere up to half germanic), go Indigenous People!

Show