The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ink and Incursions (5.0) [IC]

Varak the Exile
    Hit Points: 33 of 33 | Armor Class: 14 | Conditions: None.

Seeing the woman, insensate, and intoxicated on the bitter sweet elven leaf infuriated Varak for some reason. He recalled his own training, how Master Nan-Ku would berate him for inattention, for lack of discipline, lack of focus, some of those lessons had resulted in broken bones. To see his people so mis-represented as to cause an innkeeper turn away profit simply due to the blood that ran in his veins, it frustrated him, then, to see this Orkish woman, luxuriating in a narcotic induced haze. He swept the chair leg sending the young woman tumbling down to the hard boards of the dilapidated porch, at the same time he snatched the cane from her hand, and sat heavily on the chest that her feet had vacated in her flailing fall.

He rapped her on the head, "magh'Dar puj'Gi," he spoke in Orkish, pathetic weakling, before switching to common, "A sentry, even one as baseless and vile as yourself should keep better watch over their wares, yes?"

Even as he spoke, his peripheral vision was not focused on her, but watched the entryway, sides of the building, and the other girl on the steps, anticipating more competent protection for such a place as this. "Ink, where do I buy it?" And as he spoke he tossed a single gold coin so it hit the dazed Ork square in the forehead before plopping to the rough hewn porch on which she lay.

OOC: My intent isn't to injure, only startle or surprise the young ork woman before asking my questions. Varak is fully aware she could either be pretending to be oblivious to his presence, or a distraction for other, less intoxicated thugs.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalchas
    AC:13 HP:7

"That was a mistake"

says Kalchas, as he steps away from the fray to get some distance, counting on Stone to keep the ruffians at bay. He then reaches inside him, in the coiling, writhing, whirling eldrich strangeness that has become apart of him, and draws out a blast of pure force, which he aims at the ringleader.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show

Atk (1d20+5)[10] and Adv (1d20+5)[13]
    Damg (1d10+3)[9]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stone

Stone stood his ground bringing his great sword to an attack position.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

"You'll pay dearly for that," Nephixus barked as he wiped the the blood clear of his face. "Look, over there!" As Nephixus quickly reached to snatch the man's belt from his trousers, something the man started uncontrollably chuckling about.

Spoiler
    Show
    Uhh, that sounds not as cool as I had intended, but I'm casting Hideous Laughter (DC 13 or fall prone). Assuming this works...

"Now, this is the time to strike!" Nephixus called out to his two travelmates.
    Current Active pbp Characters
    Nephixus of Hope

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Varak the Exile

Seeing the woman, insensate, and intoxicated on the bitter sweet elven leaf infuriated Varak for some reason. He recalled his own training, how Master Nan-Ku would berate him for inattention, for lack of discipline, lack of focus, some of those lessons had resulted in broken bones. To see his people so mis-represented as to cause an innkeeper turn away profit simply due to the blood that ran in his veins, it frustrated him, then, to see this Orkish woman, luxuriating in a narcotic induced haze. He swept the chair leg sending the young woman tumbling down to the hard boards of the dilapidated porch, at the same time he snatched the cane from her hand, and sat heavily on the chest that her feet had vacated in her flailing fall.

He rapped her on the head, "magh'Dar puj'Gi," he spoke in Orkish, pathetic weakling, before switching to common, "A sentry, even one as baseless and vile as yourself should keep better watch over their wares, yes?"

Even as he spoke, his peripheral vision was not focused on her, but watched the entryway, sides of the building, and the other girl on the steps, anticipating more competent protection for such a place as this. "Ink, where do I buy it?" And as he spoke he tossed a single gold coin so it hit the dazed Ork square in the forehead before plopping to the rough hewn porch on which she lay.
    The orc woman bares her teeth in fury, and for a moment, you can see a black film covers her eyes, much like the ink addicts you've seen. Then you can't see anything at all as darkness consumes your vision. As you try to focus your other senses, you hear movement, and then breathing to the right.

Spoiler
    Show
    You can attack at disadvantage, or try to move. The porch is roughly a 30 foot by 10 foot rectangle, and you are in the middle back, such that you are adjacent to all the other squares. The steps down are to your left and the low wall around the porch is behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    Stone

Stone stood his ground bringing his great sword to an attack position.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    Kalchas
    AC:13 HP:7

"That was a mistake"

says Kalchas, as he steps away from the fray to get some distance, counting on Stone to keep the ruffians at bay. He then reaches inside him, in the coiling, writhing, whirling eldrich strangeness that has become apart of him, and draws out a blast of pure force, which he aims at the ringleader.

Show

Atk [roll0] and Adv [roll1]
    Damg [roll2]

Stone slashes his greatsword across the red-haired man's torso. It's a blow that would've cleaved many people in two and, in your estimations, should've taken down even a rangy piece of gristle like him; but he seems to shrug it off. It was a blow, but less of one than it should've been. Or maybe he's just too angry to acknowledge the damage.

The blast of eldritch energy to his face seems to register, though.

"Iä!," he screams, staring into the wyrd light. "Xronos!"

Quote Originally Posted by 3drinks View Post
    "You'll pay dearly for that," Nephixus barked as he wiped the the blood clear of his face. "Look, over there!" As Nephixus quickly reached to snatch the man's belt from his trousers, something the man started uncontrollably chuckling about.

Spoiler
    Show
    Uhh, that sounds not as cool as I had intended, but I'm casting Hideous Laughter (DC 13 or fall prone). Assuming this works...

"Now, this is the time to strike!" Nephixus called out to his two travelmates.
    The red-haired man laughs, just once, then collapses, his eyes smoking. But the dark-haired man begins to giggle eerily at the sight. Despite being uninjured, he falls to the cobblestones like his leader, cackling to himself.

Terrified but still focused on her goal, Nancy whimpers and charges up the steps towards the inkwell. "Charlie!" she screams, pounding on the door. "Charlie!" The female Red Quill bares her teeth and grabs her from behind, throwing her down the steps to the ground, and Nancy lies still.

Spoiler: Rolls & Mechanics
    Show
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?600471-Dice-Rolls-for-Ink-and-Incursions&p=24203816#post24203816

Neph, I moved your spell to the other man, since Red was down before your turn came up. Note that melee attacks on the dark-haired man are now at advantage, while ranged attacks are at disadvantage. Since the woman grappled instead of a Savage Attack, attacks on her are a straight roll. Nancy and the red-haired man are unconscious.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2019-10-15 at 04:57 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Varak the Exile
    Hit Points: 33 of 33 | Armor Class: 14 | Conditions: Reckless [Attackers gain Advantage until EonT]; Blind.

His hand went to his face to wipe off what ever she had blinded him with, and there was ... nothing. Almost immediately, he whipped his head around to his right where he heard her footfalls, "Not so fast." He lunged, knowing it would put him off balance, but he needed to prevent her escape, a hand whipped out towards her center mass, his arm folding in, his elbow driving into where he stomach should be, and then he followed up with a knee strike, angling his foot as to shatter her knee.

OOC: Using Reckless Attack to grant advantage on the attack, which counters the Blindness disadvantage, giving me a straight roll. However, attacks against Varak will be at Advantage until his next turn. Using an Action to Attack, unarmed, (1d20+5)[17], for (1d4+3)[6] damage. Minor Action to follow up with Martial Arts, (1d20+5)[22], for (1d4+3)[5] damage. The 1st attack is non-lethal if that is a thing, the 2nd is not, I want to break her leg.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-10-16 at 04:38 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Varak the Exile
    Hit Points: 33 of 33 | Armor Class: 14 | Conditions: Reckless [Attackers gain Advantage until EonT]; Blind.

Hearing the decidedly masculine 'Whufff!' of the junkie after driving an elbow into his opponents stomach, he realizes that the Orc sentry had concealed her scuffling while regaining her feet. He quickly checked his kick before he shattered the man's leg and listened carefully trying to pinpoint his opponent's position.

OOC Perception, +1, (1d20+1)[9]. Let's see how this goes.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-10-16 at 05:22 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

You listen carefully, but hear nothing.

Nothing happens; at least, from your perspective.

9. - Top - End - #39

GreataxeFighterGuy

"Whoa, that worked," Nephixus remarked to himself as he slipped away far enough to get him some space while maintaining the spell effect.

"I warn you, drop your weapon and surrender. I don't want to take your life."

Spoiler
    Show
    Backing away far enough to keep the spell up but away from direct confrontation before I just die. Here's to someone finishing him off, but as a last resort I draw my hand x-bow and load a bolt into it, aiming the weapon at the man and ready to fire should he free himself of the spell. The quote only uttered should he make his save, if not, I just keep my x-bow trained on him. I guess that's a readied attack?
    Nephixus of Hope

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Varak the Exile

Varak moved and placed his back to the wall, limiting her field of attack, he balnced his weight over his rear leg, so his lead leg could snap out as required. He cursed himself for not paying more attention to his masters development of, peripheral senses, but still he needed to concentrate if he wanted to apprehend the small rogue. "Problem is, little one, I'm here to purchase the Ink, I could take my business elsewhere, what'd your bosses think of that, yeah? Lots of Inkewells in town me thinks, eh?"

Even as he spoke, he began to tap the cane lightly against the floor boards in front of him, listening for the change in pitch or tone that would indicate someone was standing upon that section of wood, stabilizing it, securing it, compared to the sounds of the rest of the porch.

OOC: Readying a Standard Action to attack if I am able to perceive target with a Bonus Action perception. Perception first, at +1, (1d20+1)[21]; and then an attack at Disadvantage, rolling Attack +5, (2d20)[10][5](15). Let's see how this goes. So, 21 on Perception, 10 on attack so that's a no.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-10-16 at 09:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalchas

The name rings inside Kalchas like a bell, leaving him open-mouthed.

"What did you say?"

Xronos! He said His name! How?

Torn between getting more information and silencing the man, Kalchas opts for the last option. Perhaps he can interrogate the others.

"Keep one alive, I need answers!"

He then proceeds to attack the remaining henchman .

Show

It seems that EB cannot be used to deal non-lethal damage. If I am mistaken and it can, then Kalchas will try and subdue the man. Otherwise, shoot to kill.

Atk (1d20+5)[7] and adv (1d20+5)[18] dmg (1d10+3)[5]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Varak:

As Varak concentrates, he can sense his adversary has disengaged from combat, moving off the porch. He also notices a distinct change in the weight of his money pouch.

Spoiler: Theft
    Show
    She has relieved Varak of (8d4)[16] in gold coins.

Once he speaks, the orc woman responds for the first time. “By the hungry godless dark, you really don’t know anything, do you?” She sounds weary and maybe… dismayed?

She snaps her fingers, and the magical darkness lifts, replaced by the regular kind of darkness, the kind punctuated by stars and moon and distant candlelight. She is standing at the foot of the steps, perhaps fifteen feet away, with her hands on her hips. “Give my stick back, wild-catch, and I’ll tell you three things whatever rebel spat you out neglected.”

Stone, Kalchas, Nephixus:

Stone moves forward and strikes at the woman standing over Nancy before she can turn her fury on the others; the pitiful addict lies in a crumpled heap at his feet. His blow against the Red Quill woman again harms her less than you might imagine. To a dwarf of the Nom wastes, it must seem similar to the mystical toughness of a raging barbarian. She screeches and retaliates, pounding her fists against his armor at first, but then raising both hands to slam into the sides of his head. His ears ring and vision blurs momentarily.

Spoiler: Damage
    Show
    8 damage to Stone

The two men remain prone; the dark-haired man giggling helpless and trying to curse you all through his disobedient jaw, the red-haired man twitching gently on the brink of death. Kalchas takes aim at the woman, but thrown by the leader’s dying scream, his eldritch blast misses; Nephixus backs away, pointing his crossbow at the furious, cackling junkie on the ground.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Stone Stone once more swings his sword after being beat against his head with the hard fists of the woman. His sword manages once more to connect, but once again his opponent seems not to notice.

14. - Top - End - #44

GreataxeFighterGuy

Watching his opponent closely, Nephixus takes his sword flute to play a tune of inspiration, directed towards the sword-toting Stone. It sounds like; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4GMuJROhIo

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d6)[6] inspiration to Stone.
    Nephixus of Hope

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Varak the Exile

Varak sat on the porch studying the young orc, a new, grudging respect for her forming in his mind. He tossed the small pouch of coins up and down in his hands, "Feels a little light, seems I've already paid for my 1st dose, yeah?" He flipped the cane so the silvered handle was facing the young woman, "Your cane?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalchas

Kalchas is trying to end up the fight, if nothing else to interrogate the leader. He targets with his magic the same target that Stone did.

Spoiler: OOC attack
    Show
    EB (1d20+5)[6] dmg (1d10+3)[8]

EDIT: Deep sigh

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Varak:

As the orc woman mounts the steps, she seems to relax slightly; she seems relieved to have de-escalated the situation, perhaps. She glances past you at the unconscious quill on the floor of the porch, but she sees worse every day. She just reaches out and takes the cane. “By Hadar, you’re thirsty for it, aren’t you?”

She pulls a vial from her leather jerkin and tosses it your way. “Except I know damn well orcs can’t get addicted to this stuff. It won’t even give you the pretty colors and screaming star skulls like humans get.”

“You were born with your first dose in your veins, wild-catch. Anything more is just overkill.” She holds up one finger; one of the three facts she promised. “Take it, for what good it’ll do you.”

Stone, Nephixus, Kalchas:

Stone slashes the woman deeply; she ignores the damage at first, but it's a serious wound, and as the blood soaks her clothes she pales and the rage begins to ebb from her eyes. As she notices that she's alone against three people she grows even more grave, and stumbles up the steps to the inkwell as Kalchas's blast sails by.

As she does, the door opens and the orcs pitch a man in filthy clothes out into the street; she ducks in under their arms. The door slams shut behind her and the bolts are thrown.

You are left standing in the street with four prone forms; one helplessly giggling, one dead man, and two unconscious junkies, pale and breathing shallowly; Charlie and Nancy.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2019-10-25 at 11:44 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Varak the Exile

Varak nodded, a looked at the vial held it up to the moonlight, to see how viscous it was, how opaque, "What can you tell me about Red Ink? Think that'll do it for me?" He extended the cane towards the young orc girl, "And the quill back there, he'll wake up with bruises, but no worse than he has already suffered, don't you think?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

The matter in the vial is thin and dark, like ink indeed. On a surface review there's little to see.

She glances at the unconscious man on the porch, and shrugs. "He'll live to rot another day. And no, that venom is even closer to the poison already inside you. There's a good reason for that, too. I don't sell it," she adds curtly.

"And before you go looking for those who do, be warned. My ‘bosses’ wouldn’t want me to sell you ink. They would want me press-gang you. The bounty for rebels and their spawn is outrageous."

"See, that's the third thing, wildcatch. Folk like me - like us - don't have bosses. We have masters." Her voice is low and bitter. "And I suppose I've given the shon'Torr reason enough to kill me this night."

The word she uses means Sea Kings.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2019-10-20 at 12:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

GreataxeFighterGuy

"Kalch, over here!" Nephixus offered with a shout before then looking down at his laughing mark and with a sudden deep, raspy growl in his voice, "you are going to tell us what's going on and what you are trying to accomplish here. Before things for you get..." with a swift flick of the wrist, Neph takes his blade and angles it down to the man, the tip of the blade barely pointing into the man's neck.

"...tragic."

Spoiler
    Show
    going to drop hideous laughter to cast Thanaturgy, using it to throw my voice in such a description above. Using all this to intimidate him into getting an answer.

(1d20+4)[12]
    And in case this setup or the recent combat victory should grant me advantage on this, (1d20+4)[22]
    Nephixus of Hope

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

"Gold," squeals the man, "just gold. But then Isaac leapt and the Red just rose up in me, sir. It makes a beast of a man, it does, sir, a beast."

There's a delayed reaction as he registers Neph's face, and his voice travels up at least two octaves from 'theatrical regret' to 'genuine terror.' "Kingsblood, Below? Am I Below?" he sobs.

22. - Top - End - #52

GreataxeFighterGuy

"I of all people know the allure of coin and what it can drive a man to do...but that's not the only reason. No, you're not trying to tell me that your sole motive for risking life in an unknown ambush is simple greed...I don't buy it. People do not take unlnown risks without having a long term plan in mind, or some order to carry out. Who do you work for? What can you tell me about...the narcotic, "ink" is it? Who is your supplier?"

"Bare in mind with the positioning of my blade, it's no problem to," Neph makes air quotes, accidentally let my blade slip..."

The young, charismatic Tiefling finished with a wink.
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2019-10-24 at 12:04 PM.
    Nephixus of Hope

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalchas

Now that Neph has got the thug in a talking mode, Kalchas jumps in.

"There are more to this. You see things under the Red, don't you? Things...beyond this reality. Who supplies it to you? And where did you get the Red instead of Ink?"

Kalchas is visibly agitated while asking.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

The man squirms at the swordpoint, eyes shifting wildly. However nimble his brain was before he started pouring poison into it, it's certainly not operating at its top capacity right now.

"I, I, I---not as much as the other," he says to Kalchas. "The black. Not so many visions, more... angry. Stronger."

"We bought in there," he whimpers. "Like always. The dwarf, like always. We just wanted money. I swear! I don't work for nobody anymore."

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Insight checks if you want!
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2019-10-24 at 02:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Stone Stone checks the unconscious couple. He will see who is worse for wear and pick them up so he take them to the closest healer or temple.

26. - Top - End - #56

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    insight (1d20+2)[18]
    Nephixus of Hope

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

His desperate babble establishes his bona fides pretty securely: he's an desperate addict, a beggar whose desperation and rage pushed him over the line into mugger, and probably has before. He seems to be telling the truth, insofar as he understands it; the idea that the visions and voices he experienced on ink, red or black, had anything to do with reality is probably new to him. But where the black ink causes hallucinatory visions and debilitating physical symptoms, the red ink causes primarily rage, mania and physical transformation.

He also seems to be exactly the kind of person who would take unknown risks without a long term plan in mind; he seems like he hasn't had a long term plan since he started using ink.

Meanwhile, Stone evaluates the other two. Nancy is only stunned; she was just thrown down the steps, and only her weak constitution as an addict caused her to fall unconscious. Stone rouses her without much trouble, and she cries out and struggles to her knees to look at Charlie. She's more in the way than anything, and your assessment of him is disrupted. He seems to be unconscious and unwounded, twitching and groaning between his clenched teeth even in unconsciousness. He is feverish and blood or red-tinged tears are running from his closed eyes.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2019-10-25 at 11:45 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

GreataxeFighterGuy

"So, now what?" Nephixus mutters to himself. "Your dealer. Take us to him. And I swear to you any deceptions and my blade shall ensure you never, ever have any more "issues" with addiction...permanently."

He turns to the rest. "Or what, did you have a better idea? We can't very well stand around indefinitely, and you know as well as I do that this problem will only get worse for the city-at-large if no one acts on it. Best to investigate and report official findings to the watch...I'm sure they'll pay us quite handsomely for providing information leading to the breakup of a large narcotics ring in their city...and may even provide future work as their own drug enforcement agency. Plus, this dealer may have a substantial sum of coin we can......liberate, too."
    Nephixus of Hope

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalchas

"Nephixus, you are not thinking straight. We just got here. We have no clear idea of what is happening. We can start running around, going from dealer to dealer.

Let's find out the dealer's name. Let's do a bit of groundwork. Let's ask around, see the larger picture, coordinate with Varak. As for these poor people, I know someone who can help. Itiana, a Priestess of Healing used to run a shelter for ink addicts up in Greenabbey road. We can guide these people there. And then we can think things through. "

Then turning to the captive

"But we will need the name of the dealer, and of the dwarf you mentioned. And quick."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

"In there," the red quill repeats, gesturing towards the ruined bar. "That's where we buy it. The dwarf sells it, the orcs just... t'door." He slumps backwards, exhausted from his frenzy.

Stone lays hands on the unconscious Charlie, and powers flows into the man, burning the poison out of his body. He gasps, jerking up and opening his eyes, then slumps back. His eyes are clear of the tint of either type of ink, and even the growths around his mouth dry up. He pants and writhes as his body sorts itself out.

"Nancy?" She bursts into tears.